Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP good use of my preps today
+ Reply to Thread

good use of my preps today

A fire broke out in a neighboring town. I suspected it was close to a friends house and headed over to see if I could help him. (The entire block we lived on burned down 7 years ago today, which weighed heavily on my family)

Upon arriving at the fire scene we determined it was not his house, but I ran into my friend in front of his church a few doors down. He mentioned he and a few members of the church were planning to open up their doors to any victims and firefighters, as it was 9 degrees out. My family offered to help. Shortly after opening up they found there was no water, due to the strain on the water mains. No means to flush toilets, or prepare food.

Thats when I flipped the mental switch into prepper mode.

We returned home and filled several of our Cambro insulated beverage containers
    https://www.katom.com/144-500LCD131.html
    as well as a few 5 gallon igloo coolers and 5 gallon water cooler jugs. The Cambro containers were filled with hot water for hand washing, the igloo containers were filled with cold tap water for food prep, and the water cooler jugs (already prefilled) were used to flush toilets, as they sat for about 5 years.

We also grabbed a power strip and multiple phone chargers. I have an iphone and the rest of my family has androids, so there was a good mix of charging capability.

It was a simple effort on our part, but truly saved the day at the church. Because the church was the only building in town with water and able to function, it quickly became the hub for the Red Cross, the Fire Department rehabilitation efforts, sheltered families, and became the staging area for EMS and Police. In short time, the rest of the small community realized they were also without water and naturally congregated at the church. As word spread about the town's plight to neighboring towns, local supermarkets and restaurants donated food and coffee. We started off with cold sandwiches and donuts and quickly moved to Hot Dogs, soup, various baked goods, pizza, coffee, then Burger King saved the day by donating 200 double cheeseburgers! A very unusual buffet, indeed.

One thing I learned is there are sometimes many people willing to help, but aren't sure how without "getting in the way". When the community saw a few people doing what they could to make the situation better for everyone else, our momentum became contagious. The pastor was quickly tasked with coordinating the efforts and everything from there-on out was a breeze. Over the next few hours, fire crews were able to dry out and warm up, neighbors were able to charge their phones, then eventually return to their homes when the water came back.

...And I was finally able to justify to my wife that purchase of those Cambro containers...

news report of the fire: (runs 1 minute 50 seconds and starts with a 15 second ad, turn down your speaker for the ad)

http://wnep.com/2018/01/01/smoky-fir...ylkill-county/

The gentleman speaking on behalf of the Church is my friend.

Excellent job!

Summerthyme

Very good job done by the whole family and many others.

congratulations........wish we had neighbors like you...glad to read of good news.
    Sapphire

myopically challenged

Good work!

STRONG work!!
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

I bet your friends are happy you are a prepper now, eh? Good job!

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Bless your heart. You did an amazing job!

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    WONDERFUL account of just how to step up to the plate and help!! You also showed what having preps and being prep-minded, can do to assist, especially those who are in a state of shock.

It did my heart good to read about it.

Wonderful example! Hopefully some of the people you helped will remember your effort and be better prepared to help others in the future.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Preps are everything! You did good! I'm glad no one lost their lives!

Well done! I'm sure we can all use a reminder of why we do what we do. Most prep emergencies are not TEOTWAWKI.....!

Excellent work! Is there any chance you can use this incident as a foot in the door for some community organizing -- get some more people thinking and prepared? We have an emergency response team in our little community and it sounds like your towns could use one, too.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Wonderful example! Hopefully some of the people you helped will remember your effort and be better prepared to help others in the future.
    They WILL remember,and when it hits the fan head straight for his house.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    Excellent work! Is there any chance you can use this incident as a foot in the door for some community organizing -- get some more people thinking and prepared? We have an emergency response team in our little community and it sounds like your towns could use one, too.

Kathleen
    I think today was a good example, as for many people seeing is believing.

Our county had a few CERT teams start up around 10 years ago, but faded away faster than they began. The problem I see is there are so many first responder resources in my small area, everyone thinks the bases are covered and sit comfortably.

A very proactive municipal emergency manager at the west end of our county took office a few months ago and quickly built up an active CERT team. I'm hoping the other communities take note and rebuild their own. As I said before, momentum is contagious!

Wife gave me a hard time about my preps and carrying so much when we travel until we came apron a motorcycle accident this summer. There were people onsite with more training than me but no supplies. I dragged out mt trauma kit and they went to town on the victim and I got some ojt training from an Israeli medic. She no longer complains about the stuff. Glad you could help and make the connections in town that can really help when things really go south.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

this cold snap has been very rough on lots of people .we did have the water that comes in to the house from the spring house freeze up .the door to it was open due to a broken latch .it thawed out on its own .but in the mean time our second source of water was running and working as well as hot water as there is 2 hot water heater down there for the meat cutting room .plus commode and shower .had to haul water to the house as the head plumber in charge of our water was out fixing every one eles heat and frozen water problems .we had the water jugs of water to flush the commode already on hand .but still had the use of our cistern and it own pressure tank .but really had 3 forms on hand .then of course one of us going out and fixing stuff for other people

Quote Originally Posted by fish hook View Post
    Nobody knows who I am, other than being " ****'s friend". Being humble and modest has its rewards.

Great job, Avenger!

Saw the story from my new perch outside the Skook.
    Heart goes out to the poor folks of Gilberton. Possibly caused by someone using kerosene just trying to keep warm? I guess we'll see. Glad you stepped up. Good karma.
    (1 Cor. 8:1-2) : "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know."

Outstanding!!!! Thanks for sharing some good news.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

Wow, great job! Thank you for sharing and caring for those in need.

Quote Originally Posted by coalcracker View Post
    Great job, Avenger!

Saw the story from my new perch outside the Skook.
    Heart goes out to the poor folks of Gilberton. Possibly caused by someone using kerosene just trying to keep warm? I guess we'll see. Glad you stepped up. Good karma.
    Thanks, CC. As you know, the best part of my (and your former) community is the higher than average number of people who step up when needed.

A word to the group, I have been an EMT and firefighter for almost 25 years. Honestly, it almost feels like a second job. But when you decide to spontaneously get up and do something, without being called or asked to, no matter how small, for someone else, and for no reward other than to make someone's day better, there is no better place in life. Anyone can do it and it take no special training and as much or as little money as you want. Start the New Year off on the right foot and pass it on. This was not my first circumstance like this, nor will it be my last, but it is the first time my preps truly impacted the greater good, and that it why I shared. God bless!
    Last edited by toxic avenger; 01-01-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Great job, avenger!!

I would be a little worried about someone remembering me, too, when TSHTF. But if they don't know you, then there's less chance of that happening. And, hopefully, there's a great chance that others will be prompted to get prepared, too.

But......sheeple will be sheeple......and many will just consider this their "due."

Great job anyway!! And a good time to check out your preps, rotate them, and see what you are missing.
    ( \ o / )
    / _ \

Sammy55:
    Following my Lord-
    Where He leads me,
    What He wants of me,
    Who He wants me to be.

Quote Originally Posted by fish hook View Post

totally agree that you need to watch your OPSEC - especially so when an entire community is involved - but from the descrip of what was done & preps exposed there wasn't that much outside the norm involved ...

you need to watch the specialized gear that a regular person wouldn't have or large amounts of supplies like food - people do remember that and their memory REALLY sharpens when pressed - like during an emergency ....
    Illini Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    totally agree that you need to watch your OPSEC - especially so when an entire community is involved - but from the descrip of what was done & preps exposed there wasn't that much outside the norm involved ...

you need to watch the specialized gear that a regular person wouldn't have or large amounts of supplies like food - people do remember that and their memory REALLY sharpens when pressed - like during an emergency ....
    I agree. Fish Hook should realize that within 30 days, unless you have a drawbridge pulled up, people are gonna know. If you are clean (or don't stink as bad) and you aren't losing 15 lbs a month, people are gonna know you are prepped.

The OP was about a gentle nudge to help your neighbors. In a real shtf event, it may save you from needing to shoot a few of those that noticed and "saw the light"

There will always be those that won't heed warnings. We know how that MUST end.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"