Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CRIME Vandals destroy farm - 50 beehives in Iowa, killing at least 500,000 bees
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mecoastie View Post
    Stupid kids doing stupid stuff ,a competitor or someone with a grudge. Other option would be self inflicted to commit fraud but as they didn't have insurance that wouldn't make sense.
    I'm thinking "someone" may have been stung by the bees, got PO'd about them having a bee business there, got drugged up, got a friend and decided to "stick it to them." Or some such. I think it's a local person/people, not an outside PETA or other freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    OK I challenge the Liberals on this forum, is this some kind of "left wing" violence/protest or not? Or maybe it's racist Nazis? or middle of the road liberals.
    Bee Nazis? Dunno about middle of the road liberals, sounds like an oxymoron to me.

I have a soft spot in my heart for honey bees, so I was very reluctant to look at this thread. Like a lot of you, I hope the creep(s) get caught and dealt with severely.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Helping each other is part of the culture out here, as well as not taking more than is needed. This was their small business that was ruined, and that action didn't sit well with a lot of us. These were working people, not welfare queens, so I'm not surprised that people stepped up. ....... s.

The first poem I had taught my kids to read
    It was a plaque nailed right beside the kitchen table

Bright little winter birds coming to feed
    One takes a crumb
    Another a seed
    Each takes a portion according to need
    Bright little winter birds
    Teach us your creed

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    They probably *were* game cameras... someone with 50 hives in a rural area aren't generally concerned about human vandalism... they'd be monitoring more for four legged threats like bears (not too sure that's a major problem in Iowa, though), skunks and other potential raiders.
    There are black bears in that part of the state, it sits on the Missouri River, bears come down out of the Dakotas, following the rivers. We have them here locally every once in awhile, they get lost/confused coming down out of Wisconsin, Minnesota, or the Dakotas looking for food, new territory, etc.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtshooter View Post
    Umm, you realize that the trees are not harmed, right?
    Yes, actually I do know this, but the useless eater probably didn't know this and whether the trees are harmed or not wasn't the point it was the outright hypocrisy. My point was a tree cannot defend itself from a human, but honeybees can defend themselves against humans. I don't know if maple trees can pick up fungal infections during sugar season or not.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Susan View Post
    The first poem I had taught my kids to read
    It was a plaque nailed right beside the kitchen table

Bright little winter birds coming to feed
    One takes a crumb
    Another a seed
    Each takes a portion according to need
    Bright little winter birds
    Teach us your creed
    I remember that one! How cool!

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Stolen camera tells me it was someone with an agenda, ELF, PETA, so on and so forth.
    Who has an anti-bee agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
    Who has an anti-bee agenda?

Quite a few of the animal rights groups do, actually. They believe that the bees are being enslaved by uncaring bee keepers.

Flying around with miniscule ball-and-chains attached to their legs...

http://www.kdlt.com/2018/01/17/two-t...arm-vandalism/

Two Teens Arrested Following Sioux City Bee Farm Vandalism
    January 17, 2018 KDLT Newsroom

SIOUX CITY, I.A. – Two young boys are facing charges following an attack on a Sioux City bee farm.

SIOUX CITY, I.A. – Two young boys are facing charges following an attack on a Sioux City bee farm.

Police say the 12 and 13-year-old boys are facing multiple charges including 3rd degree burglary and criminal mischief. Authorities say the boys destroyed beehives and equipment at “Wild Hill Honey” late last month, causing about $60,000 in damage.

They say about 500,000 bees were killed in the winter temperatures, but the bee farm is bouncing back thanks to a community response.

They say a gofundme page for their farm raised enough money in just one day to restart their hives this spring.

Those kids need to spend a couple years in juvie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Yes, and while they are there be given a thorough education on the importance of bees to our ecosystem, crop production, and health benefits of honey. I hope their parents (if they have any) are shamed and made to pay for the damage.
    Every Time History Repeats Itself The Price Goes Up.

I think that this may be very costly for the parents of these boys.

I think they should spend a couple of years in an African shithole country!

Quite a few of the animal rights groups do, actually. They believe that the bees are being enslaved by uncaring bee keepers.
    Bee movie... dumb asses

For goodness sake they were not vandals. Vandals were just protecting their families from the vicious roman hoard.

There was an incident that happened someplace out west today, some woman toppled bee hives killing some 200K honeybees when she poured diesel fuel on the bee hives.

Wow, never thought they'd catch them.
    How many miles to Galt's Gulch?

There was an incident that happened someplace out west today, some woman toppled bee hives killing some 200K honeybees when she poured diesel fuel on the bee hives.

That was in Prunedale California. http://www.ksbw.com/article/200000-h...edale/15263414

Another bee farm just destroyed in Manchester England http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/04/thousa...hives-7205287/

Global coincidence !??

Quote Originally Posted by blackjeep View Post
    I think they should spend a couple of years in an African shithole country!
    Minneapolis?

Minneapolis?
    That might work.

Minneapolis has the largest Somali population outside of Somalia itself, in the world.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Minneapolis?

St Paul - JJ the Dynomite Kid is now the new mayor ....
    Illini Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by NC Susan View Post
    http://www.kdlt.com/2018/01/17/two-t...arm-vandalism/

Two Teens Arrested Following Sioux City Bee Farm Vandalism
    January 17, 2018 KDLT Newsroom

Police say the 12 and 13-year-old boys are facing multiple charges including 3rd degree burglary and criminal mischief. Authorities say the boys destroyed beehives and equipment at “Wild Hill Honey” late last month, causing about $60,000 in damage.

They say about 500,000 bees were killed in the winter temperatures, but the bee farm is bouncing back thanks to a community response.

They say a gofundme page for their farm raised enough money in just one day to restart their hives this spring.

Longer article:

Breaking411 News
    ‏ @breaking411
    1m1 minute ago

#BREAKING: Boys face felonies for killing 500,000 bees... - Boys face felonies for killing 500,000 bees...

-----------------

Two boys charged with destruction of half million bees at Sioux City honey business

Jan 17, 2018

SIOUX CITY — Police delivered sweet news to the owners of a small Sioux City honey business Wednesday, nearly a month after vandals killed their half million bees and nearly wiped out their livelihood.

Wild Hill Honey owners Justin and Tori Englehardt went to check on their 50 hives on the morning of Dec. 28 and found them all destroyed, resulting in more than $60,000 in damage to the business.

The police department said Wednesday two boys, ages 12 and 13, have been arrested in connection with the incident, which drew ire from people across the country and garnered national and international media coverage. Because they were charged as juveniles, the suspects cannot be identified under state privacy law.

Seeing arrests made less than a month after the vandalism occurred was welcome news to Justin Engelhardt.

“It’s huge, right? It demonstrates the professionalism and determination of the Sioux City Police Department and we couldn’t be happier,” he said.

Despite the crime taking place in a secluded area with no witnesses, police were able to track down the suspects after following a series of leads and tips from the public. Police said they don't anticipate any future arrests in connection with the case.

The two boys have been charged with three felonies, criminal mischief in the first degree, agricultural animal facilities offenses and burglary in the third degree, as well as an aggravated misdemeanor, possession of burglar's tools. The felonies would carry penalties of up to 10 years in prison and fines as much as $10,000. Criminal cases involving minors are typically adjudicated in juvenile court, however.

Though the law has been on the books in Iowa since 1991, prosecution for agricultural animal facilities offenses is rare, according to county assistant attorney Mark Campbell.

"I can’t think of any case where we’ve had prosecution in Woodbury County — I may be wrong, but I don’t recall anything,” said Campbell, who has worked in the office 34 years.

According to the state code, a person found guilty of violating the law can be taken to district court by the offended parties to seek recovery of damages in an amount that is three times actual and consequential damage, and also force the defendant to cover the victim’s court and attorney fees.

Engelhardt originally feared the huge financial losses likely would have put the six-year-old enterprise out of business.

Todd LaCroix of Sioux City, a friend of the Engelhardts, started a GoFundMe me page that raised more than $30,000 in online donations from 838 people in just a few days before the account was deactivated.

“It was amazing and we are deeply grateful for all of the contributions from the people of Sioux City and people around the country,” Englehardt said. “It’s thanks to those contributions that we’ll be able to rebuild in the spring. We’ve already made arrangements to get some hives down south and we’ll bring them up in the spring and we’ll be right back to where we were.”

Wild Hill sells jars of pure, raw and creamed varieties of honey and other honey byproducts at Pierce Street Coffee Works, Sioux City Gifts, Palmer’s Olde Tyme Candy Shoppe, trade shows and other outlets around the area.

Englehardt thinks the story of Wild Hill resonated with so many people because people are becoming increasingly aware of much the honey bee population is struggling to survive. Some of the issues include rapid loss of their habitat, varroa mite, which feeds on honey bees, and the mysterious phenomenon known as colony collapse disorder.

"Bees are critical and people are conscious of the fact that bees are having a hard time right now and facing some real challenges," Englehardt said.

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/loc...f71176b2a.html
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.