Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CRIME Vandals destroy farm - 50 beehives in Iowa, killing at least 500,000 bees
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vandals destroy farm - 50 beehives in Iowa, killing at least 500,000 bees

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wild-hi...a-bees-killed/

Vandals destroy 50 beehives in Iowa, killing at least 500,000 bees
    CBS NEWS
    Dec 30, 2017
    video at link

SIOUX CITY, Iowa -- The future of a honey business in Sioux Falls, Iowa, is uncertain after vandals destroyed dozens of their beehives, CBS affiliate KMEG reports. The owners of Wild Hill Honey said they discovered that 50 beehives were destroyed when they went to clear off snow on Thursday.

The owner, Justin Engelhardt, told KMEG that the incident basically wipes out his business and that it will be impossible to recover from. He said that thousands of bees died from vandalism.

"I knew it was going to be bad we went around the shed every hive was knocked over, dead bees in the snow, it was terrible," Englehardt said, adding that the couple's shed was also damaged in the incident. He said a window was broken and the lock was damaged.

Engelhardt said there was a security camera installed but it stolen during the incident. Police told the station they discovered fingerprints at the scene and an investigation is ongoing.

Engelhardt told The Associated Press that at least 500,000 bees were killed in the incident, and that the estimated cost of damage was between $50,000 and $60,000.

Trump won 2626 counties
    Hillary won 487 counties
    In 2018, all 435 U.S. House Members and 34 U.S. Senators are up for reelection.

http://siouxlandnews.com/news/local/...shed-overnight

Police investigating after local bee hives demolished overnight

SIOUX CITY, Ia —
    The future of a local honey business is up in the air tonight as police investigate the destruction of dozens of beehives.

The owners of Wild Hill Honey discovered the destruction of their 50 beehives when they went to clear snow off them this morning.

Owner Justin Englehardt told us this basically wipes the business completely out and vandalism of this magnitude is almost impossible to recover from.

Englehardt said he and his wife went to clear the snow off their hives when they came upon the complete destruction of their 50 hives.

Thousands of bees died due to the vandalism.

Englehardt says nothing was taken, leading him to believe in may have been some teens doing some senseless vandalism.

"I knew it was going to be bad we went around the shed every hive was knocked over, dead bees in the snow, it was terrible," Englehardt said.

Along with the hives, the couple's shed was also damaged, with a window broken out and the lock damaged.

Englehardt said there was a security camera installed but that was also taken at some point in the night.

Police have investigated the scene and found footprints along with fingerprints and tell us tonight the investigation is ongoing.

A Go Fund Me page has been set up for the business: Wild Hill Honey Restoration

Now here is the amazing Part->

Go Fund Me

Wild Hill Honey Hive Restoration
    $30,693 of $24,000 goal
    Raised by 838 people in 2 days
    No Longer Accepting Donations

Todd LaCroix
    on behalf of Tori Englehardt
    Emergencies
    SIOUX CITY, IA

*** Update: 12/29/2017 ***

*** Message From Wild Hill ***

UPDATE:
    Thank you to everyone for your generous contributions and your amazing show of support. Because of you, we will be able to continue our business in the spring. We are deeply moved by your compassion. Between the contributions and the equipment we were able to salvage, our needs have been met. There are so many great causes to support. Our wish is that this spirit of compassion will be used to help others now. Thank you.

What is wrong with people these days?

Edited to add: It's wonderful that the GoFundMe site has helped save the farm. There is hope for mankind.

This type of destruction just sickens me!

Besides destroying this man's livelihood/business for him and his family - they've killed the bees!

I hope these people are caught and get every possible charge thrown at them! And are prosecuted to the full extent!

Maybe they can be made to compensate monetarily for this loss for the next xx amount of years until they've made reparations!

As for the GoFundMe - fantastic! What a great bunch of people!

Hope the news follows up with this story so we can see how this progresses in terms of catching the culprits and prosecuting them.
    "Apres la Guerre."

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    This type of destruction just sickens me!

Besides destroying this man's livelihood/business for him and his family - they've killed the bees!

I hope these people are caught and get every possible charge thrown at them! And are prosecuted to the full extent!

Maybe they can be made to compensate monetarily for this loss for the next xx amount of years until they've made reparations!

As for the GoFundMe - fantastic! What a great bunch of people!

Hope the news follows up with this story so we can see how this progresses in terms of catching the culprits and prosecuting them.
    to have the perps work at the farm for cpl yrs as well as monetary damages

Quote Originally Posted by zeker View Post
    to have the perps work at the farm for cpl yrs as well as monetary damages
    Yeah, and without beekeeper suits too!

LOL - no beekeeper suits!

This cruel act of vandalism is taking on a life of its' own here in Sioux City. The owners seem to be very nice young people and have been on tv showing the destruction. Any more here it seems like if you can't secure your property the vandals will steal and/or destroy it. A GoFundme account was set up and donations have been pouring in to help these people. Maybe they can reestablish their business but no honey until August. Society is just crawling with evil evil people. They take and/or destroy what they want.

I hope they catch whoever did this!
    Sherry in GA

"If you knew who walked beside you at all times, on the path that you have chosen, you could never experience fear or doubt again." -- Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by NC Susan View Post
    Now here is the amazing Part->

Go Fund Me

Wild Hill Honey Hive Restoration
    $30,693 of $24,000 goal
    Raised by 838 people in 2 days
    No Longer Accepting Donations

Todd LaCroix
    on behalf of Tori Englehardt
    Emergencies
    SIOUX CITY, IA

*** Update: 12/29/2017 ***

*** Message From Wild Hill ***

UPDATE:
    Thank you to everyone for your generous contributions and your amazing show of support. Because of you, we will be able to continue our business in the spring. We are deeply moved by your compassion. Between the contributions and the equipment we were able to salvage, our needs have been met. There are so many great causes to support. Our wish is that this spirit of compassion will be used to help others now. Thank you.
    There are many who would just let the money keep coming in as long as it will. These are not those kind of people.

They are clearly hand up, not hand out people. Good for them.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

you can call it vandalism - but that means it was purposeless in intent .... these people did it for a reason - competition???? - pizzed off former hired help??? - personal grudge?? - some kind of relationship riff??? - family???? ....

just the fact that the camera was taken - INSIDE job ....

they'll be back - spend a few bucks of that recovery $$$$ on a big ole shotgun .....
    Illini Warrior

It takes a special kind of stupid savage to do this kind of thing.
    And because they stole other things, it was not just "playful youth".

Security cameras... if there is no immediate overwatch, they need to be hidden and have great resolution. If they can be seen, there needs to be alarms to warn of the intruders. This is a good warning to me to start shopping cameras. Even a loss of something small is a loss. And the invasion of a thief unchecked will encourage a return of the thief multiple times.

Stick the vandals in a room full of African killer bees
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

Let these evil vandals starve because we need the bees to pollenate food crops.

I don't understand this at all, like the brainless idiots that throw sandbags or cement chunks off of bridges on interstate highways and kill people.
    Every Time History Repeats Itself The Price Goes Up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Let these evil vandals starve because we need the bees to pollenate food crops.

I don't understand this at all, like the brainless idiots that throw sandbags or cement chunks off of bridges on interstate highways and kill people.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by David Nettleton View Post
    This cruel act of vandalism is taking on a life of its' own here in Sioux City. The owners seem to be very nice young people and have been on tv showing the destruction. Any more here it seems like if you can't secure your property the vandals will steal and/or destroy it. A GoFundme account was set up and donations have been pouring in to help these people. Maybe they can reestablish their business but no honey until August. Society is just crawling with evil evil people. They take and/or destroy what they want.
    This is the first I've heard of it today, it might make it to the local news by this evening though. My first thought was that the person doing the damage is a PETA type idiot who thinks they're making the planet a better place by setting the enslaved bees free. But they will gladly consume maple or birch syrup from a defenseless three that cannot escape the ensuing torture of it's life blood being drained from it's core.

Said that once to a greenie who was having a shit hemorrhage because I was purchasing honey, and there the hypocrite stood with a gallon of maple syrup in her hands. I put her in her place loudly and proudly, in the midst of a very crowded organic co-op. She turned purple with rage and everyone laughed at her, including the store employees.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

It's not just the loss for the bee keepers it's a loss for neighbors whose crops are pollinated by the bees. And for customers who loss honey with its health benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you can call it vandalism - but that means it was purposeless in intent .... these people did it for a reason - competition???? - pizzed off former hired help??? - personal grudge?? - some kind of relationship riff??? - family???? ....

just the fact that the camera was taken - INSIDE job ....

they'll be back - spend a few bucks of that recovery $$$$ on a big ole shotgun .....
    Stolen camera tells me it was someone with an agenda, ELF, PETA, so on and so forth.

Iowa is a stand your ground state now, honeybees are considered livestock here and now it's legal to protect one's livestock against both four legged and two legged predators.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I'm glad they're going to be able to continue---I'd been following on FB, they're friends of a friend.

State of Jefferson - On the Darkside where the cookies are...
    SICK - STUPID - "F's"!!

I agree with dumping them in a room full of killer bees....just not enough to kill them. Oh and several times, just after they heal up!
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    This is the first I've heard of it today, it might make it to the local news by this evening though. My first thought was that the person doing the damage is a PETA type idiot who thinks they're making the planet a better place by setting the enslaved bees free. But they will gladly consume maple or birch syrup from a defenseless three that cannot escape the ensuing torture of it's life blood being drained from it's core.

Said that once to a greenie who was having a shit hemorrhage because I was purchasing honey, and there the hypocrite stood with a gallon of maple syrup in her hands. I put her in her place loudly and proudly, in the midst of a very crowded organic co-op. She turned purple with rage and everyone laughed at her, including the store employees.
    PETA was my first thought too.

I do hope these people install a remote security camera that instantly goes straight to the cloud. That way if someone tries to take that down, at least it's recorded and saved! V

Whoever did this has no idea how much work was destroyed and the expense involved. A fitting punishment would be forced to not only pay for the bees and equipment, but also labor building the new equipment and raising the new colonies for the first year.

Personally, I think they're too stupid (even supervised) to be allowed to help rebuild. But they should help spreading chicken manure on fields.

THat is terrible. It looks like a lot of the equipment is recoverable. I cant imagine coming out to see my hives torn up like that.

I've been following this story, as well. I, too, suspect it was someone local with a huge grudge, maybe fueled by meth because it took a lot of hate-filled energy to smash that many hives. The photos are just awful!

I'm glad that the business was saved. I *rarely* donate to folks I don't know personally, but in this case, I made an exception. I hope they will increase their security.

It's hard to imagine anyone being PO'd with beekeepers. The ones I know are some of the most kindest, patient folks around.

Quote Originally Posted by mecoastie View Post
    THat is terrible. It looks like a lot of the equipment is recoverable. I cant imagine coming out to see my hives torn up like that.
    My ex had his hives (he usually had around twenty) torn up like that quite a few times, but it was always bears. You can't blame a wild animal for acting like an animal, and the ex eventually figured out how to keep the bears out of the hives (electric fence). But for people to act like this is disgusting. My first thought was probably PETA types, too. Be interesting to find out who was actually behind it. (Doubt that it was competition -- people who keep bees are usually pretty decent sorts.)

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

I'm curious about the cameras they mention. Unless these were game trail cameras, the video should have been stored somewhere else. Taking the camera wouldn't have affected the video; at worst, if the cameras were taken before the attack, they wouldn't have recorded the damage but might have caught the perps as they went after the cameras.
    E Deploribus Unum

Oderint dum metuant

Every day is a JDAM day

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Stick the vandals in a room full of African killer bees
    I would vote for this in a heart beat.

Seriously.

Put it on pay for view.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mountain View Post
    I'm curious about the cameras they mention. Unless these were game trail cameras, the video should have been stored somewhere else. Taking the camera wouldn't have affected the video; at worst, if the cameras were taken before the attack, they wouldn't have recorded the damage but might have caught the perps as they went after the cameras.

News reports here only mention one camera, and it was stolen. At the hs where I taught we learned you must have at least two security cameras ... one camera watching the other so you can capture the vandal trying to destroy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacajawea View Post
    Personally, I think they're too stupid (even supervised) to be allowed to help rebuild. But they should help spreading chicken manure on fields.
    With a bucket to hall the chicken poop in and a shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mountain View Post
    They probably *were* game cameras... someone with 50 hives in a rural area aren't generally concerned about human vandalism... they'd be monitoring more for four legged threats like bears (not too sure that's a major problem in Iowa, though), skunks and other potential raiders.

The one statement in the news article that didn't make any sense to me was where they said it was impossible to get insurance on beehives. No, you won't get "life insurance" on your bees that would pay off if a colony dies or absconds, but the umbrella coverage clause on our farm insurance policy would include damage like these folks suffered. Theft or vandalism is covered, as well as damage caused by wind or fire.

I'm glad people stepped up via GoFundMe, and I'm REALLY impressed at their integrity in shutting down the fundraiser when they felt they had enough. Very rare in this day and age!

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    With a bucket to hall the chicken poop in and a shovel.
    Barefoot.

....from a defenseless three that cannot escape the ensuing torture of it's life blood being drained from it's core.
    Umm, you realize that the trees are not harmed, right?
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

I am at a loss to know what kind of looney would be responsible for this, the average criminal would not simply bother to commit this sort of crime, the average "environmentalist" would normally regard bees as being a benign influence. A moronic vandal would not kick beehives or seek them out, so this is some kind of new eco terrorist or misguided idiot, is there any stuff on social media to provide an explanation. Even a misguided idiot would not go so far as to commit a crime in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    I'm glad people stepped up via GoFundMe, and I'm REALLY impressed at their integrity in shutting down the fundraiser when they felt they had enough. Very rare in this day and age! Summerthyme
    Helping each other is part of the culture out here, as well as not taking more than is needed. This was their small business that was ruined, and that action didn't sit well with a lot of us. These were working people, not welfare queens, so I'm not surprised that people stepped up.

The perp(s) will not be dealt with lightly. This is the sort of crime that angers a lot of normally placid folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtshooter View Post
    Umm, you realize that the trees are not harmed, right?
    LOL. Not having tapped a maple for syrup, I don't know, but I imagine you wouldn't tap the core/heart. Also, as long as it takes a tree to grow, maple "farmers" are probably very careful not to torture their threes.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am at a loss to know what kind of looney would be responsible for this, the average criminal would not simply bother to commit this sort of crime, the average "environmentalist" would normally regard bees as being a benign influence. A moronic vandal would not kick beehives or seek them out, so this is some kind of new eco terrorist or misguided idiot, is there any stuff on social media to provide an explanation. Even a misguided idiot would not go so far as to commit a crime in reality.
    It really doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by skwentnaflyer View Post
    It really doesn't make sense.

OK I challenge the Liberals on this forum, is this some kind of "left wing" violence/protest or not? Or maybe it's racist Nazis? or middle of the road liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Stupid kids doing stupid stuff ,a competitor or someone with a grudge. Other option would be self inflicted to commit fraud but as they didn't have insurance that wouldn't make sense.