Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Minus 18 this morning.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Down to 7 last night, 16 now.

I have a generator down at a hospital....

Wrenching in this kind of cold is absolutely horrid.
    Wish I had my down filled long johns, that I had in Montana. Never would of guessed that they was going to be needed in Oklahoma.

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH TXGAL!! That is what I thought I can get it loose>>>>will buy a BEEHIVED Plunger today>>>tonight rather, have to go to work as soon as I haul water to the animals!!
    There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."Theodore Roosevelt-1907.

Bottomed out at minus 24 this morning. That was around 5 am. Dh got up at 7 and it was still that temp. Coming up now with the sun shining. It's a brisk minus 13 now. It "might" get above 0 today. Looking forward to that. Big dog will be able to go out on her cable. Little dog still needs to be on a leash. They are getting cabin fever bad and driving me nuts. Both want to get out to run around. Maybe tomorrow. We'll see.

All I know is that when it's that cold, your nose hairs freeze up......lol. Hard to breathe, that sort of thing.....I have my fur lined hat that works really well for outside right now. Looking forward to a hot shower today......

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

14 when I woke up, which is cold for here. All the critters were toasty warm inside last night. I read a heartbreaking story which I will NOT post about some A-H*** who let one of his dogs freeze to death on the porch. They are throwin the book at him at least.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    It's so cold out there the birds want sub-zero clothes!

I just made a mad dash out to potty the dogs on leashes. Too cold to just let them out to potty on their own. Even tho Ashly is a heavy furred malamute, she is not used to this kind of weather or prolonged outtings. I got them pottied then put more food out for the birds (lot's of cracked corn for body heat) and then grabbed a big armful of firewood to add to what we have inside. Went thru a bunch last night so wanted to replenish. I try really hard to keep enough in the house so we have lot's.

It's supposed to stay really cold thru the end of next week. Daytime highs around zero or below and nighttime lows around -15 to -20 or so. Running the water to keep pipes from freezing up. The house is banked up with snow around the foundation. I bought extra food and extra bird food on Tues so we are ok that way. Been running the car for 20 mins a couple times a day to keep the battery up.

Even tho we have a good fire going in the woodstove it's still barely 55 in the house.

Damn it's cold out there. Going to have to do shifts now to keep the fire going.
    This morning, I had 24 below. Wind is at 8mph, but I haven't gone outside to check. Just a few weeks ago it was in the 50s.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Dang you guys are cold.

Here in NE Ohio we are @7 and it doesnt seem too cold. We are supposed to hit the 30's on Monday; and we will likely stay in the 20-55 degree range for the rest of Winter.

-14 over night, still -10 now at 9:40 AM.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

Wonderful weather here in North Eastern Pennsylvania.

NWS Forecast for: ...
    Issued by: National Weather Service Binghamton, NY
    Today: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 16. Wind chill values as low as -7. West wind 11 to 14 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 0. Wind chill values as low as -12. West wind 7 to 10 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 20. Wind chill values as low as -13. South wind around 7 mph.

Wednesday Night: A slight chance of snow after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9. South wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Thursday: A chance of snow before 1pm, then a chance of snow showers after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 15. North wind 6 to 11 mph increasing to 13 to 18 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Thursday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -6. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 0. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -10.

Saturday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -1.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -8.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 17.

Sunday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Still riding that -10 to +10 range here in WI. Won't get above that until Sunday?? So Sunday is my target day for the kitchen sink cold water faucet to start working again!

I can handle the cold, it's this blasted wind that comes with it that makes it nigh intolerable.

BTW - does PEX run plumbing handle being frozen better than copper? I would assume yes, but not sure what it's limits are. . . . . . . .
    “Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
    "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - J.K. Rowling "Remember who the real enemy is." - Suzanne Collins "Winter is coming." - George R.R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonemom View Post
    Still riding that -10 to +10 range here in WI. Won't get above that until Sunday?? So Sunday is my target day for the kitchen sink cold water faucet to start working again!

I can handle the cold, it's this blasted wind that comes with it that makes it nigh intolerable.

BTW - does PEX run plumbing handle being frozen better than copper? I would assume yes, but not sure what it's limits are. . . . . . . .
    Don't know about pex, My black poly irrigation pipes don't have any issues. Maybe it's the same?

on a side note
    We don't leave faucets running here. It can clog your drains with ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonemom View Post

Pex does handle freezing much better than copper. I used to help my BIL the plumber replace copper and galvanized pipe in dairy barns with pex.
    Was known as dairyfarmer but sold the cows.

Oh joy.......... first the deep freeze and NOW we have a blizzard and heavy snow coming for thurs and friday.......gag...... at least 6 inches with possible 9........and 35 mph wind THEN back into the deep freeze for the weekend.. oh joy, oh joy, oh joy.

Must be winter folks. We gonna get it all. Kinda reminds of of Little House on either the prairie or the Big Woods, lol.

Oh and those turkeys? Well, they moved on and now we have deer coming in. One young doe has a cataract on one eye. Probably a birth defect thing. she is nice and fat tho... I have corn for her. And it's pretty protected here so the coyotes shouldn't be an issue with our dog's scent all over. I hope.

How cold was it this morning????

It was so cold this morning in new York that two lawyers were seen crossing the street with their hands in their own pockets.
    Official TB2K Comedy Relief ; I resemble that remark! ; Aloha Snackbar; Nuke a Gay Whale For Christ and other Political Incorrectness
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it. FRA

And Faux-ca-hontas was claiming Esquimaux parentage.
    Last edited by night driver; 01-02-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

44* in Alaska today. raining and melting snow. They call these warm mid winter winds "Chinook winds".
    If I was born in Kenya, I'd be President by now.

*My fingers are slysdexic. Damn.*
    They're, there, their. There. I know the difference. My mind is miles and miles of thought ahead of my fingers and my fingers are peons. peons do sh!tty work.:D

It's so cold that when I flick my bic lighter, the flame freezes.

It was so cold this morning I couldn't open the door on the first car I inspected. The door was frozen shut. I was outside all day-from 730am to 4pm. It was 12 degrees this morning, it warmed up to 24 right before I came home.

-23 for the last 3 nights and then the Chinook started blowing, the sky was clear, the sun was bright and it got up to 35.

Windy Ridge

35!!! After what the Great Lakes has been experiencing, that's SOME heat wave. The likes we haven't seen yet. :c/
    And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. Luke 21:28

Preparing a People to Meet Jesus

Revelation 14:6-12

Click here for a FREE book - Absolutely NO Obligation:

http://www.3asdchurch.org/free.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Signwatcher View Post
    35!!! After what the Great Lakes has been experiencing, that's SOME heat wave. The likes we haven't seen yet. :c/
    Amen to that. I hear it might actually approach freezing this weekend though. Be nice to look back on this in February or so and say, man, I'm kind of glad we got the worst of it out of the way.

I pray that will be the case, Blacknarwhal, but I won't be happy until mid-June arrives and all this is just a bad weather memory. Things are so strange right now.

I haven't seen it this cold right off the bat in a new year since 1979. Don't have the actual comparisons, but I have memories...VERY cold memories of cars not starting. I don't remember how long it lasted, but I was MUCH younger and it didn't bother me near as much as it does now. Arthritis is a harsh master when it comes to weather. Extremely cold weather it seems.
    And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. Luke 21:28

Preparing a People to Meet Jesus

Revelation 14:6-12

Click here for a FREE book - Absolutely NO Obligation:

http://www.3asdchurch.org/free.htm

Heck it has been above 0* all day ::happy dancin::
    Still so warm that I'm going to make the last barn run
    w/o the coveralls!
    We didn't elect Trump for his decorum; We elected him for our survival!

Quote Originally Posted by Signwatcher View Post
    I pray that will be the case, Blacknarwhal, but I won't be happy until mid-June arrives and all this is just a bad weather memory. Things are so strange right now.

I haven't seen it this cold right off the bat in a new year since 1979. Don't have the actual comparisons, but I have memories...VERY cold memories of cars not starting. I don't remember how long it lasted, but I was MUCH younger and it didn't bother me near as much as it does now. Arthritis is a harsh master when it comes to weather. Extremely cold weather it seems.
    Actually, last December was cold too. I got some nice pictures of frost fog.

I'm merging these daily "How cold is it?" threads into this thread.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    It's so cold that when I flick my bic lighter, the flame freezes.
    I've seen it so cold at Ft. Dix - January 2005 - that the butane in our Bic lighters wouldn't ignite. We had to use Zippo's to light our smokes.

The steel stakes holding our Christmas light up deer are frozen in to the ground. They ain't coming out until next week, at the least.
    From a fireball we came, crossed sea and mountain
    We were drinking beauty with our eyes
    We were given all to make our own, let us be left alone

III

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    We're slowly making our way down in temperature, as every night is slightly colder than the last and +5F this morning.

Like I was pointing out above we finely got down to zero (0F) degrees. Waiting to see if we make minus -2F or -5F this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaMan View Post
    It was so cold this morning I couldn't open the door on the first car I inspected. The door was frozen shut. I was outside all day-from 730am to 4pm. It was 12 degrees this morning, it warmed up to 24 right before I came home.
    I had the same car door problem yesterday. -22 at 8:30am, had to pry the truck door open. Clutch didn't want to move, gearbox full of molasses, ice on the inside of the windshield, even the steering was difficult to turn. If I hadn't had a vet apt to get to, I would have said hell with it, and gone back inside.

It looks like after this weekend the temps are going up though. That will be a nice little break from the sub zeros.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

Per NOAA

snip
    Key Messages: East Coast Winter Storm

1. This winter storm is forecast to bring the potential for a mix of
    freezing rain/sleet/snow from portions of northern Florida to North
    Carolina, and snowfall northward along portions of the Mid-Atlantic into
    northern New England. Blizzard conditions are possible across portions of
    eastern New England late Thursday.

2. If this winter storm tracks closer to the coast, it could mean more
    snow while a track farther east could mean less snow.

3. This system has the potential to produce strong, damaging winds
    possibly resulting in downed trees and/or power outages.

4. Minor to moderate coastal flooding/erosion is possible due to a
    combination of high tides and wave action, especially Thursday afternoon,
    January 4.

5. Winter Storm Watches and Warnings are in effect from north central
    Florida northward through eastern New England.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

20° here this morning. Coldest it’s been in the entire six years I’ve been in Texas. These are the times that I use the winter features on the Murano: heated seats, heated steering wheel (I absolutely LOVE that!) and remote start. The remote start feature takes into account the ambient temp and activates whatever of the aforementioned features it feels are merited. Oh, and it turns the cabin heat up to blast furnace. By the time I go out ten minutes later, it’s all warm and toasty. Which is good because I have to take Hermione to the oncologist today.

I heard that Savannah either got overnight or will get today, 5-8” of snow. I’ve never heard of it snowing there, let alone in that quantity.

Woke up this morning, and it is snowing like crazy (north Florida)! Hasn't been an honest snowfall here since December 1989.
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

It actually warmed up overnight! It was 1 above at 3 am when I stoked the woodstove. It's now 8 degrees. Haven't seen it that warm since before Christmas! Supposed to get up to around 20 today.

I have an appointment at drs today then going to hit the grocery store and then home again. Gotta a Nor'easter a comin tomorrow....... This winter just keeps a comin at us...... Oh joy.....

I went to bed last night happy because the latest weather report predicted another nice day today. I woke up to clouds and the weather radar showing approaching snow. It may get above freezing. Maybe it's approaching rain. Montana weather is so interesting. This afternoon I will attempt to shovel a path to the maibox. That is about 400 yards of foot deep snow. Who needs exercise equipment when you have snow and a snow shovel?

Windy Ridge

As I said last year, I would try to pile the snow right against a house. Snow is great insulation.

Not sure when I started this thread but, it's minus 15 this morning. Supposed to have a high around minus 10. Minus 20 or so tonight. Wind is from the west at 10mph gusting to 20/25.

We made it thru the bomb cyclone with around another foot of snow. Out plow guy and his wife got us dug out yesterday afternoon. Said they started plowing at 3am yesterday. They did not do the roofs of house and sheds cause it was minus 10 when they were here and still blowing like crazy. It is BRUTAL out there.

The birds and deer are all very cold. I don't know how they can handle all this deep freezer for so long. We have wind chill warnings up till noon tomorrow. Then warming up for the next week or so according to the long range forecast. According to that the deep freeze is over, just normal cold.

This is getting on our nerves. Gonna have to run the car 3 or 4 times today to make sure it stays charged up.

Just looked outside and the finches are all huddled together on the railing eating the seed I put out. They are so tiny. They are sitting on their feet.

Enough already! This isn't the north pole altho it feels like it........gah......

-24 this morning. On the bright side, no wind...yet. 20mph later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    Not sure when I started this thread but, it's minus 15 this morning. Supposed to have a high around minus 10. Minus 20 or so tonight. Wind is from the west at 10mph gusting to 20/25.

We made it thru the bomb cyclone with around another foot of snow. Out plow guy and his wife got us dug out yesterday afternoon. Said they started plowing at 3am yesterday. They did not do the roofs of house and sheds cause it was minus 10 when they were here and still blowing like crazy. It is BRUTAL out there.

The birds and deer are all very cold. I don't know how they can handle all this deep freezer for so long. We have wind chill warnings up till noon tomorrow. Then warming up for the next week or so according to the long range forecast. According to that the deep freeze is over, just normal cold.

This is getting on our nerves. Gonna have to run the car 3 or 4 times today to make sure it stays charged up.

Just looked outside and the finches are all huddled together on the railing eating the seed I put out. They are so tiny. They are sitting on their feet.

Enough already! This isn't the north pole altho it feels like it........gah......
    Warm up is forecast for next week.

We had -24 as well this morning. But things are looking up, it's supposed to be 30 degrees on Tuesday!

This time of year in minnesota, +30 is a heatwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    This time of year in minnesota, +30 is a heatwave.
    Shirtsleeve weather!