Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Seed Anyone Starting Seeds Yet?
+ Reply to Thread

Anyone Starting Seeds Yet?

Just wondering if anyone is starting seeds yet, or not?

It's been so warm here, in Iowa, that I'm thinking of having OC put the hoop house lid on the one raised bed, he'd also have to install the heat activated vent, and covering that puppy with some clear plastic and starting some herbs and kale.

I don't think we're going to get a true winter here this year, one with lots of snow, blowing drifts, and extremely cold days with bright blue skies. The weather is pretty much repeating last winters pattern, so far.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I haven't yet. I might start some peppers in a few weeks.
    I could make it cheaper!!!

Nope. Too early here. I don't think we will have a mild winter. It started out seeming so, but that's already changed big time!

But I covered everything in my greenhouse because of the predicted low temps and so far, even the broccoli is okay and it seems to be the least cold tolerant of my winter greens. I'm hoping it will grow a little more and then I may harvest it before the super cold we are said to be getting New Year's Eve here. I have acquired oodles of mattress pads, both old and new, and they seem to make wonderful covers for plants during big dips in the temp. And I think they let enough light through that the plants don't suffer even when I leave them covered for several days.

started sweet peppers, hot peppers and tomatoes this afternoon
    "...Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:14-17

Quote Originally Posted by BenIan View Post
    started sweet peppers, hot peppers and tomatoes this afternoon
    which varieties?
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Sweet: Etiuda, Ajvarski, Friarello di Napoli, Banana & Melrose
    Hot: Cayenne, Fish, & Craig's Grande Jalapeno
    Tomato: Black from Tula, Black Beauty, Barry's Crazy Cherry (Yellow), Dad's Sunset
    "...Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:14-17

Sweet: Etiuda, Ajvarski, Friarello di Napoli, Banana & Melrose
    Hot: Cayenne, Fish, & Craig's Grande Jalapeno
    Tomato: Black from Tula, Black Beauty, Barry's Crazy Cherry (Yellow), Dad's Sunset
    Sounds like a good mix. What all do you do with your peppers?

It is SOOOOOO COLD!!

It started off as a warm winter but OH MY GOSH! It is VERY COLD here!! Down to 8 degrees last night and not predicted to warm up for a while!!
    There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."Theodore Roosevelt-1907.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Sounds like a good mix. What all do you do with your peppers?
    Eat fresh, use for cooking, ferment, or give away

Quote Originally Posted by ioujc View Post
    It started off as a warm winter but OH MY GOSH! It is VERY COLD here!! Down to 8 degrees last night and not predicted to warm up for a while!!
    Same here, haven't had cold temps like this since the winter of 93/94. Praying it kills off all of the excess bugs, mice, etc.

Eat fresh, use for cooking, ferment, or give away
    How are you fermenting them?

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    How are you fermenting them?
    I slice jalapenos and pack into mason/ball jars with water and some liquid from a previous ferment. Sometime do peppers and cucumbers 50/50, sometimes mix in some basil. I enjoy fermented foods, its a taste that may not be for everyone.

I slice jalapenos and pack into mason/ball jars with water and some liquid from a previous ferment. Sometime do peppers and cucumbers 50/50, sometimes mix in some basil. I enjoy fermented foods, its a taste that may not be for everyone.
    I'm a member of two separate fermentation groups on Facebook.

Packy
    I will start sweet potato sets right after I return from Florida - 3'rd week of January but nothing else at this point
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

It's just about time here to put out onion sets. Still about a month too early to get tomato seedlings started inside under lights. Itching to get started but know from experience not too early.

Like summerthyme mentioned in another thread, seeds are getting expensive. I'm mostly going to grow from the tried and true seeds I've saved.

I tried starting some tomato seeds on the 21st but so far not a one has emerged so I am going to start over this afternoon with brand new seeds. My onions are in the ground and will be planting more when I get back out to the garden in a little while.
    Sherry in GA

"If you knew who walked beside you at all times, on the path that you have chosen, you could never experience fear or doubt again." -- Wayne Dyer

I will be starting a few things soon. In the next few weeks hopefully. Can't wait!
    "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." Hippocrates

Who is Q?