Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ECON For cryptocurrency fans
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayku View Post
    I stay clear of that so no specific knowledge other than knowing it exist.

Yes, I would as well. It just surprised me.
    Sub-Zero

Given the high levels of uncertainty involved, I would suggest this approach. Trade off some of your profits from cryptocurrencies into tangible assets such as gold. Should the music stop, you're are not left with nothing.
    Great idea. To begin with don't invest/speculate more than you can comfortably lose in case it goes south on you. As you begin to make a nice profit cash out your original amount that you put into it and from that point on your playing with the house's money and then take profits as you can and convert them into tangible assets. The folks that are mortgaging homes and borrowing money on margin are likely to be destroyed. Play it smart and don't get greedy. What is the old saying...pig's get fat and hog's get slaughtered?
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

For some clarification of my previous post.
    http://www.elliottwave.net/education...ts/basics1.htm
    http://www.elliottwave.net/education...ts/basics5.htm

Unlike the general FX markets, margin accounts in cryptocurrencies do not behave in accordance with Fibonacci sequences or elliot waves or even close. A touch of research will show that has been the cause of multiple bad calls from analyst on Forbes, WSJ, etc in regards to cryptocurrency trades.
    While FSEW 'generally' follows FX with some modicum of utility, the times it has followed the cryptocurrencies correctly are so close to chance as to be indistinguishable in my eyes.

That tells me standard margin practices will have a much higher risk of failures. Why that is I'm not 100% on and would be at least partially devolving into pure speculation to speak to.

That is why I stay clear of it.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Hmmm...

I really thought this thread would generate more activity.

I think the whole concept is fascinating.
    Sub-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by rlm1966 View Post
    I remember when I read the first article about bitcoin came out and I said, "Hey, that is neat but it will never catch on" and now I am kicking myself in the arse because I had an opportunity to get on board early and retire young based on current market value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Be sure and save some unbruised arse for the Next Big Thing that comes along that you also miss out on . There WILL be others.
    Correct.

And, not just in blockchain plays - bio-tech, aging, human diagnostics, battery tech, other, will all show much investment opportunity in the next decade.

intothegoodnight
    "Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

ó Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

To reiterate and clarify something I've stated in another thread here. At their heart, cryptocurrencies are a legal (for now) ponzi scheme. As long as new blood enters, they will grow.

At the same time, digital currencies are in fact the wave of the future as governments move to kill FIAT paper. Do remember why a government wants to do that. Governments wish to control the threat to their well being. That threat is the people. The banking system is set up to facilitate that.
    Anything that threatens that banking system will face severe consequences. Try printing or stamping your own FRN or coins as currency and you'll discover what those consequences are.

If a cryptocurrency is used to facilitate trade and .gov can track and tax, it's highly unlikely to be a problem. If it cannot track and tax, eventually .gov will come after it just as its done to other attempts to circumvent FIAT currency of the land.

In the fullness of time, governments will recognize some cryptocurrencies as legitimate. They want to go all digital and by allowing the market place to develop the technology, they save the expense and risk of doing so.

As such, I pay attention to the technologies that have backing from international corporations and banks. Effectively if you're holding it when they adopt it, it will very likely be grandfathered in.
    Then and only then will the direct ponzi scheme aspects be removed from it.

Your only other real alternative is to be prepared to hoist the black flag and fly your middle finger at .gov. That tends to be an unhealthy state of existence.

Given the high levels of uncertainty involved, I would suggest this approach. Trade off some of your profits from cryptocurrencies into tangible assets such as gold. Should the music stop, you're are not left with nothing. There are people out there who will argue that can't happen. I can think of a few dozen reasons why it most assuredly can.

Always remember the inherent volitility. People just knew the .coms were safe investments and we all know how that ended.

Remember the elusive 'experts' may know a thing or two, but the number of variables are simply too high for anyone to be an 'expert'. Don't let anyone make the decision for you or take anyone's opinion as gospel, they can be wrong. It's incumbent upon you to do your own homework. If you're not doing so you're setting yourself up for failure.

Your trying to better your lot in life financially, and for every one of you doing so, there are hundreds out there trying to figure out how they can get what you have.
    Cryptos without a circulation cap are as much of a Ponzi scheme as the dollar is. In fact, all money -- if it is not in finite supply -- is a Ponzi scheme. To be clear, many cryptos have a finite number of coins in circulation, and I believe those are the ones with the greatest staying power.

All money requires faith. The difference between cryptos and the government-created Ponzi money is that an increasing number of people are beginning to lose faith n what the government creates. Based on what I am seeing, the real threat to the government Ponzi will come when more people choose to use and accept cryptos in their daily lives, in lieu of the dollar. I don't see Wells Fargo accepting a mortgage payment in BTC or XRP anytime soon, but I don't think we're too far away from the time when you can buy items on eBay or Amazon with BTC, and I believe this is already available on Craigslist.

How do you tax someone on their BTC gains when the buy a chainsaw with BTC? How do you know the price they purchased their BTC at? It's a guessing game, and the government loses when they have to guess.

Use of cryptos on these small scales that aggregate in volume is one of the things that governments fear most, other than the fact (as you have pointed out) that cryptos are hard to track. No government can possibly tell what you have in your crypto wallet, and I have to say it's a damn good feeling to be in that position. You don't have to haul around gold or silver, you don't have to give someone an Eagle and hope he doesn't follow you back to your house and rob you. You can simply send crypto from a remote location and conclude your transaction at another location. Safe, simple, secure.

At some point governments will begin to feel even more threatened, as you said, which will make them desperate, which will mean they will get more forceful and blatant in their actions. If you listen closely you can hear the anti-crypto media hype ratcheting up. ISIS is being linked to BTC. Today Bloomberg ran an article stating that BTC uses too much coal to mine and therefore is an environmental hazard. I am counting the days until we hear that BTC is responsible for a deadly school shooting, that it is racist because people of color don't have the same access to computers, or that Trump likes BTC. Wait for it...

But here's how I see it: we are at an epic crossroads. The wild success of BTC hasn't emerged from a vacuum. It emerged because people are freaking fed up with centralized currencies that are dying and killing the rest of us as they die. Love it or hate it, but BTC is the first shot in a currency revolution. The government will eventually be forced to outlaw crypto, but Lord help them when they take that step. People are waking up fast, and the crypto community is filled with snarky, smart-as-nails kids who get off on defying the System. This will be impossible to kill. This is the beginning of a war, and I don't think it's going to end well for governments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
    Hmmm...

I really thought this thread would generate more activity.

I think the whole concept is fascinating.
    I agree, This is going to be a big deal to our kids-well I don't have any-but it takes the bank out of it. This is ptp(peer to peer)no bank would be required for any transaction. I want grapes, you have wine, lets make a deal. No credit card, no clearinghouse, no bank, It's that simple. Money changes hands all over the world without being there in person.
    I'd rather be paranoid, prepped and wrong than be irrationally happy, frivolous and screwed.

I shouldn't try to read without my glasses. I thought this thread was about cryptozoology. I don't know a thing about cryprocurrency.

It depends on how much you plan on doing in a day. Here are the requirements and associated trade/purchase/sell/fiat amounts and required information from Kraken:

So, no blood samples or SSN unless you plan on sinking a ton of money into it.

If you go to the link, it displays more coherently.
    You know, I remember going to Kraken, but it asking for that stuff anyway as part of the account signup process.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    You know, I remember going to Kraken, but it asking for that stuff anyway as part of the account signup process.
    You need to select "Tier 2".

The only issue would be if you're in Germany or Japan; I think they have more ID requirements.
    Sub-Zero

Some historical context to the OP date.
    ((y2 - y1) / y1)*100 = percentage change. You can do the math.

BTC

ETH

XRP

Today

I was reading something over the weekend that suggests all cryptocurrencies have a ways to go yet. We ARE in a bubble, but there are three stages to a bubble.

1. Early adopters.
    2. Institutional players.
    3. EVERYBODY

Since most people barely know what a bitcoin is, we're not to level 3 yet. And when that happens, value should spike.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    I was reading something over the weekend that suggests all cryptocurrencies have a ways to go yet. We ARE in a bubble, but there are three stages to a bubble.

1. Early adopters.
    2. Institutional players.
    3. EVERYBODY

Since most people barely know what a bitcoin is, we're not to level 3 yet. And when that happens, value should spike.
    That assumes government doesn't step in, otherwise I'd agree. I don't think BTC will make it to full stage 3, it will be the sub tier cryptocurrencies that do.

Tron TRX is staging for a run up. It's creator floated the prospect of some nasdaq companies backing it yesterday and it's been off to the races since.
    If that turns out to be false, it will bomb heavily soon.
    If it turns out to be true, it's going to moon shot.

Glad it worked out for you. I was expecting sharp pull back to .60 or so then again .50 or .45 when the Chinese woke up (they favor LTC), but the pull back sits at .73 with the Europeans waking up now and past lunch in most of China. Could yet be proven wrong but the bull might well run again when America's are up with the Euros.

Will find out soon enough.
    Aw Heck; I should have HODLed it's at $3.51 now. I would have made some real money.
    I'd rather be paranoid, prepped and wrong than be irrationally happy, frivolous and screwed.

Tron TRX is staging for a run up. It's creator floated the prospect of some nasdaq companies backing it yesterday and it's been off to the races since.
    If that turns out to be false, it will bomb heavily soon.
    If it turns out to be true, it's going to moon shot.
    News and rumors are the fun part of all of this. If you have a few k to speculate with then go ahead and do it. TRX is interesting and thinking about pushing some into it. Just waiting for volume to pick up just before.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Northwet View Post
    Aw Heck; I should have HODLed it's at $3.51 now. I would have made some real money.
    The two I'm holding are XRP and ETH. They react like FX pairs on steroids.
    I've got minor bets on 20 others including TRX.

Three of those minors have a real chance imo. TRX, POE, and XLM. Four others STEEM, BRD, RDD, and SNT have potential if they get the kinks worked out.
    The rest were simply blind bets with no research.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Great Northwet View Post
    News and rumors are the fun part of all of this. If you have a few k to speculate with then go ahead and do it. TRX is interesting and thinking about pushing some into it. Just waiting for volume to pick up just before.
    It was my understanding that anyone holding that coin will get the "new coins," so everyone's buying up in order to get the new distribution. I couldn't understand much else about that project...

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee on Earth View Post
    It was my understanding that anyone holding that coin will get the "new coins," so everyone's buying up in order to get the new distribution. I couldn't understand much else about that project...
    Haven't seen that, do you have a link?

Three of those minors have a real chance imo. TRX, POE, and XLM. Four others STEEM, BRD, RDD, and SNT have potential if they get the kinks worked out.
    South Korea is really pushing the XRP price right now. Three of the XRP/KRW pairs on South Korea exchanges are around $4.37 this morning giving a $3.74 average of all the XRP exchanges. Yeah, I like STEEM as well. I watch a lot of Mannarino's work and he is a big STEEM fan and thinks that social network is really going to take it to Facebook in the future.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?

Does anyone have an opinion regarding IOTA?
    Sub-Zero

Does anyone have an opinion regarding IOTA?
    Staying clear of it myself. It's got some security and tech issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    South Korea is really pushing the XRP price right now. Three of the XRP/KRW pairs on South Korea exchanges are around $4.37 this morning giving a $3.74 average of all the XRP exchanges. Yeah, I like STEEM as well. I watch a lot of Mannarino's work and he is a big STEEM fan and thinks that social network is really going to take it to Facebook in the future.
    Predicating this with a warning. I've made my opinion of cryptocurrencies as a whole known. My initial cost are well covered, so it's no loss to me if it all goes up in digital smoke. I strongly advise if someone needs something more than digital smoke out of it, don't do as I do.

That said, last night when it became clear to me TRX was in a run up, I rolled 100% of my ETH into it.
    I had to use binance to do it. Their exchange is buggy and has been known to crash. It took me some time to roll back gains into kraken 20% of which is still pending.
    The end result is an increase in ETH holdings of 78% and XRP of 13% overnight. 14% was lost in transaction fees. When that 20% (now 17% left to clear) I'm rolling some of that gain into Au and Ag.
    I'm back to original holding on TRX.

Monopoly has been kind the last 30 days.

Predicating this with a warning. I've made my opinion of cryptocurrencies as a whole known. My initial cost are well covered, so it's no loss to me if it all goes up in digital smoke. I strongly advise if someone needs something more than digital smoke out of it, don't do as I do.

That said, last night when it became clear to me TRX was in a run up, I rolled 100% of my ETH into it.
    I had to use binance to do it. Their exchange is buggy and has been known to crash. It took me some time to roll back gains into kraken 20% of which is still pending.
    The end result is an increase in ETH holdings of 78% and XRP of 13% overnight. 14% was lost in transaction fees. When that 20% (now 17% left to clear) I'm rolling some of that gain into Au and Ag.
    I'm back to original holding on TRX.

Monopoly has been kind the last 30 days.
    TRON/TRX is based in Singapore. It's went from 1.5 cents ton 12/14/2017 to 18.5 cents as of today. Nice!

Their statements:

TRON is a blockchain-based decentralized protocol that aims to construct a worldwide free content entertainment system with the blockchain and distributed storage technology. The protocol allows each user to freely publish, store and own data, and in the decentralized autonomous form, decides the distribution, subscription and push of contents and enables content creators by releasing, circulating and dealing with digital assets, thus forming a decentralized content entertainment ecosystem.

Peiwo App with over 10 million users will become the first TRON-compatible entertainment APP.
    And,

TRON's team members are followers of Sir Tim Berners-Lee, who are convinced that protocol, from the moment of its invention, is an asset for human beings, rather than a profit-making tool for small groups. Hence, TRON has established the Singapore-based Tron Foundation, a nonprofit organization that mainly engages in operating the TRON network in the principles of openness, fairness and transparency and supporting TRON's development team.

The Tron Foundation is set up with the approval of the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) and under supervision and regulation of the Company Law of Singapore. It is run by the Board of Trustees or the Board of Governors formed by eligible trustees for independent management and operation, which is also independent from the government's administration.

Singapore is renowned for its stable and well-established laws and financial environment. As a nonprofit entity established in Singapore, the Tron Foundation, subject to the laws of Singapore, is a legal entity having no commercial interest that supports and engages in activities for public or private benefits. The “profits” obtained by the Foundation are deemed surplus and will be retained for the organization and implementation of other activities and events. Members of the Foundation will never partake any distribution of profits.
    Also, I see that the Kraken website is down.
    Sub-Zero

As a nonprofit entity established in Singapore, the Tron Foundation, subject to the laws of Singapore, is a legal entity having no commercial interest that supports and engages in activities for public or private benefits. The “profits” obtained by the Foundation are deemed surplus and will be retained for the organization and implementation of other activities and events. Members of the Foundation will never partake any distribution of profits.
    I will promise you they are profiting. That also explains the largest threat to it. The narrative that Singapore is free of corruption is BS. As long as they pay the right people they'll be left alone right up to the point significant losses are incurred causing complaints. At that point the government will shut it down. They need to get it out of Singapore for it to really reach its potential.

I will promise you they are profiting. That also explains the largest threat to it. The narrative that Singapore is free of corruption is BS. As long as they pay the right people they'll be left alone right up to the point significant losses are incurred causing complaints. At that point the government will shut it down. They need to get it out of Singapore for it to really reach its potential.
    Perhaps it is an arm of the Clinton Global Initiative Fund. By the way, have you noticed that the acronym for it, CGI is the same for the computer generated images (essentially, a false reality which entertains the masses)?
    Sub-Zero

Perhaps it is an arm of the Clinton Global Initiative Fund. By the way, have you noticed that the acronym for it, CGI is the same for the computer generated images (essentially, a false reality which entertains the masses)?
    CGI is a play on this;
    TRON is a blockchain-based decentralized protocol that aims to construct a worldwide free content entertainment system with the blockchain and distributed storage technology.
    As for a false reality, anything your not holding in your hands or readily touch is a false reality imo.

That has application in finance.

As for kraken being down, they've been getting monkey hammered. It's been up and down four times in the last twelve hours. Volume has been on a Saturn shot in that time.

FYI, POE is up 102% since this post.

Word to the wise. It's a terrible mistake to evaluate performance based on a few days or a months performance, and worse on a single days performance. We'll use 2 examples.
    Coin A
    Coin B
    At the beginning of the month;
    Coin A was .042
    Coin B was 1.26

At the end of the month
    Coin A was .189
    Coin B was 3.05

Coin A up 350% in the month
    Coin B up 142% in the month
    Impressive right? Not so much given the run up for A was over 3 days primarily.

At the beginning of the year
    A was .003
    B was .006

For the year:
    A is up 6200%
    B is up 50,733%

In that light, which was the stronger performance?
    A has some limited regional support.
    B has global support.
    Which is more likely to be long term vs a short term wonder?

By volume, every single cryptocurrency out there in the top 20 has had their one day wonder moment. Call it a micro tulip moment (mtm).

This is especially critical for ico's. The vast majority of them are flaming out. Picking which one is launching, which one is set for a meteor flame out, which one will realize a stable orbit, and which one is experiencing orbital decay is the trick.

Temporal latitude is a key performance mark. Time of flight and distance down range in other words.
    There there is the duplicity of purpose. If the technology doesn't have more than one purpose, it will never be stable and eventually die.

Be careful not to get starry eyed with greed. Several million people lost their collective arses in the dot.com bubble. When you boil the BS away, the vast majority of those .coms had no real purpose. History is clear what happened to technology that served no real purpose other than fueling speculation.

If you buy into panic or frenzy, you'd better be in the position to lose everything without significant repercussions.

Well...one thing I know is it's a lot easier for a coin only selling for $1 to have a 20x price move than it is for a $1000 coin to have a 20X price move or even a $15K BTC to have a 20X move. With the exception of XRP I'm playing momentum. People coming in want to ride the wave and not knowing much about crypto they're looking for something cheap and have dreams of riches. That is what is going to drive the crypto's higher for the most part. And of course it doesn't hurt that the dollar is tanking and inflation is spiking either. As I've mentioned before XRP and several others have some real value and real world applications behind them. Heh....I'm sure that the people 'investing' in the Pot coin aren't too happy today with Session's pronouncement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    Well...one thing I know is it's a lot easier for a coin only selling for $1 to have a 20x price move than it is for a $1000 coin to have a 20X price move or even a $15K BTC to have a 20X move. With the exception of XRP I'm playing momentum. People coming in want to ride the wave and not knowing much about crypto they're looking for something cheap and have dreams of riches. That is what is going to drive the crypto's higher for the most part. And of course it doesn't hurt that the dollar is tanking and inflation is spiking either. As I've mentioned before XRP and several others have some real value and real world applications behind them. Heh....I'm sure that the people 'investing' in the Pot coin aren't too happy today with Session's pronouncement.
    one thing I know is it's a lot easier for a coin only selling for $1 to have a 20x price move than it is for a $1000 coin to have a 20X price move
    Let's change that sentence a touch.
    One thing I know is it's a lot easier for a $1 coin at the bottom of the pyramid to have a 20x price move than it is for a $1000 coin at the middle, or a $15000 coin at the top of a pyramid to to have a 20x price move

The upward pressure from the bottom will topple the coin at the top. Rinse and repeat.

Congrats Rayku:

This is a very nice thread you've got going. Lots of great advice and sharing.

I will be bowing out of crypto land and returning to my fish house on Mille Lacs Lake for some quiet time listening to the fish, taking my psyche meds and of course: HODL'ling.

Anyone wishing to reach me can send a pm. I will check when I go into town to get more meds, chips, beer and gas for the genie.

Peace and Out.

Paul

PS: Don't mortgage the house. Anything I said previously was not financial advice. I am not a financial advisor nor do I play one on Prairie Home Companion.
    Last edited by paul bunyan; 01-04-2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: legal notice
    et conciderunt ligna, ergo sum

Interestingly, I see that Kraken offers MARGIN ACCOUNTS!

As with all margin accounts, that could end up being a real nightmare if not watched closely.

Do you know anything of those?

https://support.kraken.com/hc/en-us/...-borrow-limits
    Quote Originally Posted by paul bunyan View Post
    Congrats Rayku:

This is a very nice thread you've got going. Lots of great advice and sharing.

I will be bowing out and returning to my fish house on Mille Lacs Lake for some quiet time listening to the fish, while I HODL.

Anyone wishing to reach me can send a pm. I will check when I go into town to get more beer and gas for the genie.

Peace and Out.

Paul
    Context is everything. I do in fact delve into margins in the normal FX margin/leverage world as well as commodities. You couldn't trade in them if you didn't.

Cryptocurrency transactions are a different beast. There are no rules for crypto trade, no laws to speak of, no baseline however crooked.

There is no chance in hell I would, or that I would advise anyone to do so for crypto exchanges.
    Example;
    Let's say you had an account at 10% of a contract for bitcoin. Let's say that contract was 100k. Bitcoin drops from 20k to 15k. Your definitely going to get a margin call because your contract just lost 25% of its value and you were already at maintenance. You can guarantee the broker isn't going to take it in the shorts for you.
    For clarity, a margin call is triggered when the investor's equity as a percentage of total market value (in this case of the crypto) falls below a certain percentage requirement, which is called the maintenance margin.

In the FX world, maintenance margin is usually set at 25% or so 'minimum' with most brokers charging more. For the initial trade it's usually closer to 50%.

The volatile nature of crypto's make leveraging, borrowing on the margin, without FINRA or other such entities a fools errand. It can be and usually is risky in the best of times. What more is it going to be with no to little rules?

No, I didn't even bother to look into it. Not going to either as I am all to aware of the pitfalls in normal trade. Therefore I have no knowledge of their margin accounts or requirements.

Good luck with the fishing.

Recent news from Chicago Mercantile Group (CME) and Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) regarding bitcoin derivatives stands a good chance of causing another BTC spike.

It also stands a good chance of creating much more extreme volatility for the broader Cryptocurrency market place. All bets and predictions are off until the dust settles from that.

The BTC spike has occured and continues as mentioned in previous post. Speculation of high yields driven by the prospect of holding the underlying asset to a set of derivatives is sucking the oxygen out of the market cap driving most other crypto's down. It will not be sustainable, with a now clear track record of sawtooth spikes crashing, staging to recycle.

Derivatives are probably the worst case scenario. You don't actually have an asset of any kind electronic or otherwise. Derivatives are btw the tool of choice used to manipulate the paper PM market. It looked good on paper at first, but for the last 44 years they have monkey hammered PM prices making them dance like a marionette.

It's all buy dried ink now that the derivatives are going to happen. BTC holders beware the man behind the curtain.

Anyone who hasn't seen this Doug Casey interview might want to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AUitfnkHI

Doug Casey - Final Warning for America - The FEDCOIN

R/T 1:10:50

Casey predicts an official Fed cryptocurrency, running in parallel with the FRN$ at first but eventually taking over....
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Anyone who hasn't seen this Doug Casey interview might want to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AUitfnkHI

Doug Casey - Final Warning for America - The FEDCOIN

R/T 1:10:50

Casey predicts an official Fed cryptocurrency, running in parallel with the FRN$ at first but eventually taking over....
    Don't really need a prediction, simple logic will suffice. Fed has been steadily pushing towards an all digital system for some time now.

This is especially critical for ico's. The vast majority of them are flaming out. Picking which one is launching, which one is set for a meteor flame out, which one will realize a stable orbit, and which one is experiencing orbital decay is the trick.
    Yes, that's the trick, how charming. Now how do you actually DO it?

Long answer to a question in another thread.
    https://www.bitsonline.com/massive-i...vulnerability/

Massive Intel Hardware Vulnerability Discovered: Crypto Users Affected?

January 3, 2018 by William Peaster 0 Comments

In a shocking development, researchers are now assuming every Intel processor made over the previous ten years could have a catastrophic, low-level CPU vulnerability. A software patch could be coming soon, but itís estimated to degrade CPU performances by up to 30 percent. How will miners and crypto users be affected?

A ďZero-DayĒ Vulnerability

Microsoft, Linux, and everyone in between are now scrambling to respond to the critical ďkernel memory leakingĒ flaw thatís just been identified as potentially inherent to every modern Intel processor, per a bombshell January 2nd report from The Register.

The problem is thus: there lies a hardware bug in Intelís CPUs that can allow malicious agents and their code to read into what should be protected areas in these deviceís kernel memory. In laymanís terms, kernel memory facilitates the most fundamental aspects of an operating system (OS).

Accordingly, this devastating vulnerability can expose secure data like passwords with ease. And particularly dire are how exposed virtual machine server farms (e.g. Amazon Web Services, or AWS) seem to be in light of the nature of the bug at hand.

The solution canít come in the form of hardware, as doing so would be logistically impossible from Intelís end. Instead, OS-level software patches will be needed.
    Cryptocurrency Users Affected?

Yet again, the cryptocurrency space is reminded through this expansive Intel vulnerability not to leave non-trivial investments on crypto exchanges for any extended period of time, as exchange passwords are precisely the kind of sensitive data that could be retrieved from a CPUís kernel memory.

Has anyoneís crypto been stolen through this exploit already? Itís hard to say, though seemingly unlikely since Intel and other dedicated researchers just discovered it themselves.

But the vulnerability should have everyone in the space considering the switch over to a cryptocurrency hardware wallet, that is if they havenít already. Hardware wallets are simply the safest way to store cryptocurrencies as it stands, and there are a range of reputable ones to choose from.

CPU miners in the cryptocurrency ecosystem may also be affected, as the coming software patches are projected to degrade CPU performance from anywhere between five and 30 percent. Though these miners might escape mostly unscathed, as CPU mining relies less on memory and more on processing.
    That's just one of the articles on the subject. Regarding the bold, I have to call BS. Chip manufacturers have known about this for a decade. The only new part about it is it became public.
    A bit of critical thinking and a handful of recent articles is all you need to apply to prove it.
    The odds that 'all' chop architectures accidentally suffered the same/similar flaw is about like getting struck twice by lightening while performing a ski jump in midair on a cloudless day.

Full disclosure; I use hardware wallets, but even then, they still have to pass through a chip at some point to be used. However when it came out that apple suffered the same kind of flaw that put it a bridge too far for me. I've been in progress of dumping all but a small portion (retaining 10%) what I have into physical assets. Given how insanely long it takes to clear the multiple steps to do so, it's a work in progress.
    The question is being asked as noted in the article and on this board. The potential now exist for a panic sell if even one significant case of theft comes to light as a result of this vulnerability.

That's my personal take on it. YRMV.