Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

TRANS If. it's. not. one. thing...
+ Reply to Thread

18 If. it's. not. one. thing...

~sigh~ I think I'm gonna become an outlaw.

So we run to Wally World to get FLK's scripts for her back.

Go in, find out we have to come back in 3 days to get all of them.

Go back out and.......Jeep won't start.

Dash lights up like a Christmas tree with ever little light they could possibly stuff in between the Tach and Speedo but the engine?

Nada. No click, no "Whir" no bangs, fire or explosion. Nada.

Just had it towed home and will try to research and figure out what the issue[s] may be.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is it's last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury, not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take... inventory.

Bad battery, would guess a cell or two melted together or something to make a direct short. Hopefull the puter didn't take a hit.

It's probably a loose battery connection.

Next time get someone to jump start you.

Just because the lights came on you shouldn't assume it's getting enough power to operate the starter.

Ummmm, Jeep? Chrysler starters die for no apparent reason with no warning (Axe me how I know). Dodge Ram did PRECISELY the same thing, needing starter.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

I got the Wally World autoparts guy to come out with a pack and try to jump it but no joy. I left my jumper pack on the kitchen table.

We replaced the starter and the ignition [[under recall]] this past year.

It is looking like it might be one of those two tho with some quick research. Hopefully it is still under warranty if that's the case.

The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is it's last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury, not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take... inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    Ummmm, Jeep? Chrysler starters die for no apparent reason with no warning (Axe me how I know). Dodge Ram did PRECISELY the same thing, needing starter.
    Are starters now going out without the warning grind/clicking I'm used to?

Yup.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

Hubby says crankshaft sensor is what he sees a lot in Jeeps.

Whathahellkindacrapisthat????

I told FL, next vehicle is a mid-70's to mid-80's CJ, standard, no bells and whistles, no auto-this and that because I can keep it rolling with a hammer and duct tape. BTDT. Drove my '89 CJ with no starter for 6 months in Austin, just rolled it down a slope. Electrical problem? Yank a speaker wire or extention cord and wire it back. Easy Peasey.

Always happens at Christmas, always. I just count on some major appliance or a big car repair every December.

Hang in there, January is coming.

Watch some video to learn how to use metal ( Screw driver ) to jump from one post of the starter to the other to start

The crankshaft sensor is behind the fly wheel near the transmission.
    It controls the Gauges and cranking. Not very hard to replace. Do not remove the felt on new one it centers it and will remove its self when the engine turns over

Dredge and Tawny-I will look into both of those. Problem is we had a ski plate so access the crankshaft might be a problem. Starter should be easy but with all the crap they stuff into new cars they probly hid it inside the fuel tank or some such crap.

If an automatic doesn't make any noise when you turn the key try putting it in neutral. Sometimes my chevy pickup won't start in park.

Or....and this happened to me...you might have been in gear when you tried to start it!

Quote Originally Posted by Satanta View Post
    Whathahellkindacrapisthat????

I told FL, next vehicle is a mid-70's to mid-80's CJ, standard, no bells and whistles, no auto-this and that because I can keep it rolling with a hammer and duct tape. BTDT. Drove my '89 CJ with no starter for 6 months in Austin, just rolled it down a slope. Electrical problem? Yank a speaker wire or extention cord and wire it back. Easy Peasey.
    If you have to have 4X4 might I suggest the same or newer vintage Toyota or Subaru...

First thing I did was check if it was in Park or elsewhere. It has a safety feature where you cannot remove the key if not in Park at any rate. Also tried Neutral, tried starting it with the stupid key thing that tends to either start it or set off the alarm if I even fart and no joy.

Old Toyotas are hard to find-they get run ragged before they die. An old Isuzu trooper would be neat but not sure if they ever came in manual or not. Heck, a lightwieght VW would work-strip it down and make it into a rail. Again, manual, lightweight and will go anywhere a 4x4 will in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcat View Post
    Always happens at Christmas, always. I just count on some major appliance or a big car repair every December.

Hang in there, January is coming.
    The past 3 months we've replaced the washer, the water heater. the control board to the oven, and now today had to re-key the door locks on the house. Everything happens around this time of year! WTH!

Things like this are part of why I love my truck: 1991 GMC Sonoma. 2.8L V6, 5-speed manual. Just over 139,000 miles.

Easiest vehicle to work on, and only the basics.
    When you have shed your mortal coil, and are no longer in the thoughts or prayers of anyone, it is then you cease to exist. So long as a single glimmer of your existence dwells within even a single consciousness, are you truly immortal.

-~` Daniel J. Olson `~-

Crankshaft Positioning Sensor ( CPS ) or battery related.

I wish the China*Mart guy would've load tested the battery while it was there.
    Still kicking despite the devil's best efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    The past 3 months we've replaced the washer, the water heater. the control board to the oven, and now today had to re-key the door locks on the house. Everything happens around this time of year! WTH!
    I don't know why, but this is normal for my place too. I can count on one hand the amount of Decembers I have gone without some big ticket item needing doing since we bought this house 30 years ago.

One year part of our roof blew off (try to get that fixed quick at Christmas time), appliances die (I repair them, never replace if possible) or a huge car repair bill comes. Christmas time means some repair person gets extra pay for THEIR gifts, from me.

But now I just count on it. And I recently bought a 1996 truck with 175K miles on it, hmmmmm wonder what this years surprise bill will be .

"An old Isuzu trooper would be neat but not sure if they ever came in manual or not."

I think that manual transmissions were available in Troopers. However, the automatic transmission plus some bearings in the rear axle of our 1999 Isuzu Trooper failed recently. It was in the shop for over three weeks because some parts had to be ordered from Japan. Isuzu quit selling small trucks in the USA around 2002, so parts availability can be a problem. I agree, we have gone well beyond the point of diminishing returns in the FED's quest for reduced emissions and passenger safety. The more complex a system is, the more points of failure it has.
    "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tawny View Post
    The crankshaft sensor is behind the fly wheel near the transmission.
    It controls the Gauges and cranking. Not very hard to replace. Do not remove the felt on new one it centers it and will remove its self when the engine turns over
    And has absolutely nothing to do with the starter not working.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberOneSon View Post
    Things like this are part of why I love my truck: 1991 GMC Sonoma. 2.8L V6, 5-speed manual. Just over 139,000 miles.

Easiest vehicle to work on, and only the basics.
    Why I loved my CJ and my '78 Chero. Even tho the Chero was auto it had enough room inside the engine compartment for me to sit and wirk, enough room underneathe work without face-hugging the frame or pavement. Everything [[windows/door locks, etc was manual]] Every wire and motor added along with whatever other elctroonics to run it is a failure point.

People waste too much time, money and frustration on newer vehicles. DW has a nice, newish, Dodge 3/4 ton diesel, but I have nice motorcycles and old beater trucks. I could afford a new truck if I wanted, but they make no sense to me. I want something that's easy to work on, basic, simple and has inexpensive parts. Currently I have two '86 Fords: One is an F150 gasser and the other is an F250 diesel. Both have four-speed manual transmissions. The 1980s is as late as I prefer to go. Parts like brakes, starters and alternators are dirt cheap, easy to find and easy to install. My gas truck is a straight six, so even things like changing the head gasket are comparatively easy.

I paid $800 for the diesel many years ago. I gave a guy a hundred dollar bill and an old Mauser 30-06 rifle for the the gasser more recently. Both trucks will haul or pull anything I need to (though granted, the six cylinder will do it a little slower than the diesel V-8). No monthly note, no depreciation and people do tend to stay out my way on the road ;-)

Best regards
    Doc

That's what I've noticed Doc1, people think twice when they see me coming in my hulking rusted truck. Instead of just zipping and running that light when I'm coming, they stop lol. In the Mazda, they jump in front of me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    People waste too much time, money and frustration on newer vehicles. DW has a nice, newish, Dodge 3/4 ton diesel, but I have nice motorcycles and old beater trucks. I could afford a new truck if I wanted, but they make no sense to me. I want something that's easy to work on, basic, simple and has inexpensive parts. Currently I have two '86 Fords: One is an F150 gasser and the other is an F250 diesel. Both have four-speed manual transmissions. The 1980s is as late as I prefer to go. Parts like brakes, starters and alternators are dirt cheap, easy to find and easy to install. My gas truck is a straight six, so even things like changing the head gasket are comparatively easy.

I paid $800 for the diesel many years ago. I gave a guy a hundred dollar bill and an old Mauser 30-06 rifle for the the gasser more recently. Both trucks will haul or pull anything I need to (though granted, the six cylinder will do it a little slower than the diesel V-8). No monthly note, no depreciation and people do tend to stay out my way on the road ;-)

Best regards
    Doc
    Exactly...
    יְשׁוּעָה
    I am in competition with no one. I have no desire to play the game of being better than anyone. I am simply trying harder to be a better person than I was yesterday.
    TRUTH

Quick, let me get off this thread before I catch something.

Sat what's a CJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Quick, let me get off this thread before I catch something.

Sat what's a CJ?
    Know what a Wrangler is? Older version. Pic, similar to mine except I always went topless.
    Attached Images

I'm driving an 2011 with 360,000 miles.

A new replacement would be around $65K. Would have to wait out the warranty to do the voo-doo for 500hp and 18mpg. (600 hp at the push of a button) this is for an 8000lb towing beast.

I frequently embarrass dipshitz in gas burners that want to haul ass around the dirty "work truck"....just so they can go the speed limit and come to a complete stop for a right turn.

I can put a lot of parts on it versus a $700+ note....good parts, heavy duty upgrades.

A new motor with turbo and all the gingerbread is less than 10K.

The real pain is window switches an stupid stuff that starts failing at 7-8 years. Not mission critical, but important.
    Last edited by Millwright; 12-09-2017 at 03:45 PM.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

I had a cam position sensor go bad and was full of anxiety about either taking it to the shop (a 14 year old car going into the shop is is just asking for trouble) or fixing it myself.
    After worrying about it a couple weeks, i watched a couple you tube videos, bought the part ($79) and replaced it. Problem solved.
    Hardest part of it was finding my 10 MM socket and wrench - veritable holy grail of the tool box.
    The actual act of opening the hood, removing the old and installing the new required removal of ONE bolt - took 5 minutes - OK - 10 minutes because removing that dadgum electrical connector was a PIA.

good luck

BTW, before you spend money, borrow a code reader (auto zone loans them out) take it home and read the codes.
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies