Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FOOD A rant and plea for help on Paleo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yep, that's what I'd do. Throw the meat on the BBQ, then steam/nuke/grill whatever for vegetables. (I celebrate the invention of Fire!) If somebody needs more, serve them rice, noodles, potatoes or bread on the side.

Stir fry is also a really good way to do meat, veg, and nuts with rice served on the side. Uses very few dishes/pots and pans.

I make soup all the time with no noodles. Just add more veg.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Yep, that's what I'd do. Throw the meat on the BBQ, then steam/nuke/grill whatever for vegetables. (I celebrate the invention of Fire!) If somebody needs more, serve them rice, noodles, potatoes or bread on the side.

Stir fry is also a really good way to do meat, veg, and nuts with rice served on the side. Uses very few dishes/pots and pans.

I make soup all the time with no noodles. Just add more veg.
    And the veggies for stir fry can be chopped up on Sunday, well ahead of time OR you can buy the frozen vegetable mixes.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    . . . she's not a short order cook, either eat what she cooks or starve, ....
    BRAVO - needed to be said!!!
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

An easy meal is bacon and cabbage. Organic shredded veggies in produce section (broccoli, carrots, cabbage and kale) as a side dish or sautéed with canned chicken or beef and seasoning, very good and quick. Good fast soup that lasts for days is 1-2 cans of rotel, canned chicken with extra broth, cauliflower(you can get it already riced in some grocery stores) and cooked sausage, after cooking for about 45 min add cream cheese (shredded is good too). That takes about 10 min to throw together and the stove does the rest. I look for quick easy meals too. Good luck.

I've been "sort of" Paleo on and off for a while. I couldn't care less what people think cave men ate, but I feel much better without gluten, I'm pre-diabetic so need to be low carb, etc. Now, like Kathleen, I'm going to start the Auto Immune Protocol (just got Sarah Ballantyne's excellent book) but need to get the kitchen organized better first. Suggestions: keep it simple. Plain meat & veggies works. Yes, prepare veggies etc. all at once when you get home from shopping. Then just grab some and.make stir-fry, soup, or a salad, with different combinations. Those who can have gluten can also make a sandwich or burrito. Loaded baked potato or loaded omelette if you can have those. The most frustrating thing is to try to duplicate things like baked goods; I don't bother. Lifesavers: get a spiralizer to make pasta from zucchini or other veggies; really good!! And use your crockpot, or better yet get an Instant Pot; I was just given one, and they really are worth all the hype! Plus some kind of food processor and a blender for smoothies are a big help. Keeping it simple means I don't really use recipes, but I do look on Pinterest for ideas.

Sorry, I'm on my stupid phone, and have to go reboot the laundry, so you all will have to Google this stuff yourselves. Good luck; I've been cooking for assorted diets & allergies for years and it's challenging for sure, but the improved health is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    paleo chocolate bar - take all of 5 min to make
    1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1T honey
    1tsp vanilla
    chop nuts - optional
    2-3T peanut butter- optional
    a few extra drops of stevia if you like it real sweet
    put coconut oil and cocoa powder in small pan
    gently heat and stir til blended smooth
    take off heat - add 1tsp of vanilla
    stir in honey and peanut butter
    pour into a saran wrap lined brownie pan
    top with chopped nuts
    put in fridge for hour or so to chill and harden
    break into small pieces

I independently invented this last spring & make t all the time, but with a few changes. call it "medicine fudge" because 3 ingredients are super foods, honey, cocoa & coconut oil, and the peanut butter is a high protein/ healthy nut fat. I skip the nuts (which I might add some now...) never used stevia or vanilla. Might experiment with a dash of vanilla but the honey makes it sweet enough and don't care for stevia.

at 72 degrees coconut oil is soft enough to beat with a fork and mix in dried coca and honey. no need to heat it to mix. if you don't mix it with a mixer, but by hand, can leave smallish chunks of coconut oil throughout that have pockets of warm wtf melty goodness when eating. I like the firmed up coco oil chunks in mine! I mix all up and put in a plastic wrap 'tube' about 1" around and roll into a long tootsie& keep it in the fridge (gets soft at room temperature) a 1/2" inch chunk cut off of this is a sweet delight hat melts in your mouth with minimal chewing... texture is devine... flavor is beyond... MEDICINE!!
    If I was born in Kenya, I'd be President by now.

*My fingers are slysdexic. Damn.*
    They're, there, their. There. I know the difference. My mind is miles and miles of thought ahead of my fingers and my fingers are peons. peons do sh!tty work.:D

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    I'm on (or supposed to be on) the auto-immune protocol, which is basically Paleo but even stricter to deal with auto-immune diseases. (And it works very well.) I wasn't losing weight even though I badly need to, so I started doing intermittent fasting. I not only feel better (and am starting to lose weight), it also means a lot less meal prep and clean up, since I'm only eating one meal a day (and sometimes a small snack within the eating 'window'). Unless you are already too thin, it might be something to try, since it would reduce the amount of work involved with staying on Paleo.

Kathleen
    I second the intermittent fasting and also eat nothing white. I have learned to hate to cook and I'm not going to cook big elaborate mealls.

So sorry you have to deal with your mil, that would make me run for the hills.

Judy

Make the MIL chop veggies...

Thanks for the explanation Flavius.

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    While I agree with Meemur that for *individual recipes*, chopping with a good knife, cutting board and practice is faster than a food processor and then the cleanup, if you're going to try the suggestions for cooking more in bulk and then freezing extras, a food processor can save HOURS of time for big batches.

And while "big" in your life probably isn't what I do when cooking for 25 for holidays or making 12 gallons of soup out of the garden for canning later, that just means you don't need a 14 cup Cuisinart processor! I have a small food processor/blender combo I got *really* cheap a few years back, and it's great for small batches (but larger than half a dozen carrots and a couple onions for a meal with planned-overs). There's something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC...2668251&sr=1-3

Or, for a larger one (still small enough to do relatively small batches) https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...r%3D1-1-spons%

You might want to look at some of the "once a month cooking" pages... I wonder if there is one specifically for Paleo? Even if there isn't, the techniques should carry over just fine...

Summerthyme
    I've noticed that for some reason Paleo/AIP seems to call this "batch cooking", so googling. or better yet searching on YouTube, for "Paleo batch cooking" should give lots of help.

Currently MIL has an apartment nearby. I would lose it if she moved in to our house. The only saving grace is my house is a tri-level so unlikely since there is no bathroom or bedroom on the entry floor.

I don't have an instata pot. I do have a crockpot. I just bought a food processor but have only used it once. Gotta read the use and care guide.

Trying to get through all the suggestions. About to print them.
    I really appreicate all the help,
    A

for the last couple weeks I've been lazy, and I had just cut out the bread (again), and I just wanted something like tuna or chicken with cheese for lunch.
    but none in the cabinet and it is expensive.
    so, I had some chicken breast strips in the fridge. And i thought why not . . .
    so I put a couple strips in a pan, covered with water, and put it on to boil - about 9 minutes.
    took em out and shredded em like pulled pork. added mayo. cut the cheese, piled the chicken on the cheese with a spot of mustard
    DAYUM, that was so good.
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

Quote Originally Posted by amarilla View Post
    Currently MIL has an apartment nearby. I would lose it if she moved in to our house. The only saving grace is my house is a tri-level so unlikely since there is no bathroom or bedroom on the entry floor.
    Good to know!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

We don't do Paleo, but we do gluten free. That being said, we do use some paleo recipes, and we have never had a bad one from NomNom Paleo. Lots of Asian inspired stuff.

And an Instant Pot i s your friend. We LOVE ours.

Check out www.savingdinner.com She offers Paleo, Auto-immun, low-carb, or regular menus with shopping lists included. Can choose 2 or 4 serving sizes. Great variety year-round.
    It's Doom O'clock somewhere...

www.strikehardgear.com
    Support a Vet, Made in USA tactical gear & more.

If you miss pasta, you can make your own homemade noodles by using gluten free flour, salt, eggs, and water. May need to use a teaspoon or so of xanthan gum in some gluten free flours.

The pasta is so easy to make if you use a nonstick pastry mat to roll out the dough. Homemade gluten free noodles are not quite as soft as regular noodles, but they are a wonderful substitute.

My Instant Pot Duo Plus 9-in-1 pressure cooker has been a life saver when making gluten free recipes. I am just learning how to use it...I love it. And I am not afraid of it anymore.