Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FOOD A rant and plea for help on Paleo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

18 A rant and plea for help on Paleo

Mods please let this stay on the main page for a day or two. I don't know where else to turn.

My doc put me on Paleo about a year ago. I feel better when I follow it. But my life has been rough the last few/coming months. One kid went off to college in August, another is leaving for the military next month. My dad died in September, dealing with all that. My MIL moved here last month (I don't like her, short version.)

I am exhausted. I have not found any quick recipes for Paleo. Everything seems to take forever. I like to cook but have nothing fast in Paleo. Chopping vegetables takes time. It seems like I chew forever. It seems like it takes mountains of dishes to make the meal. Then more time washing them or loading and unloading the dishwasher.

Husband likes few of the Paleo recipes. He just says "cheat." I get sick when I cheat. Kids eat more but I have a shortage of good recipes. I'm tired of buying Paleo cookbooks that say they are but aren't. I'm tired of having to eat the same thing over and over and over. I have two good Paleo cookbooks, "Paleo Planet" and "South Asian Persuasion" actual Paleo and taste good, but they take a lot of time to make the recipes.

Does anyone know a real Paleo cookbook that has some quick recipes with flavor or any of their own? Any other help?

Thanks,
    A

I don't do Paleo, but could you do a few meals that freeze well, like pizza or a casserole divided into individual servings?

I almost never follow recipes. Just assemble some of the approved ingredients, and prepare them however you want.

Sorry to hear about the MIL. Something like that would have me moving out of the house.

Best bet might be to try googling simple paleo recipes, or paleo with five ingredients, or something like that.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

pick up some vegetarian, vegan, and keto cookbooks.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Also are you a member of any of the Paleo groups on facebook? There are gobs of them, maybe they can help you out, also check out pinterest for paleo food boards.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Had a doctor tell me years ago, with a few exceptions, if it's white don't eat it. Salt, sugar, flour, potatoes, rice, barley, bread, dairy, etc., are pretty much out of our diet. We make lots of soups with tons of veggies and small amounts of lean meat. When we do it meat, it's as a side dish not the main course. Another thing this doctor told us was to stay away from carrots if you are diabetic or have macular degeneration, they will do more harm than good. Sounds like we're unknowingly doing the Paleo diet. We we like it.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

sorry youve had such a rough time lately. for me, while i dont have a bunch of people to cook for, but when i cook i do alot at once and then freeze. makes it alot easier. like boneless skinless chicken breasts, ill cook up 6 at a time, put some in fridge to eat off of and freeze some. or cook a turkey (cheap this time of year) and freeze some, and have some in fridge. or make 2 large meat loaves, a large pot of veggie meat stew and freeze half. things like that to just make it easier.
    im not a super strict paleo but i focus on meat, some veggies, some nuts, etc. here is my favorite treat when i GOT to have something--

paleo chocolate bar - take all of 5 min to make
    1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1T honey
    1tsp vanilla
    chop nuts - optional
    2-3T peanut butter- optional
    a few extra drops of stevia if you like it real sweet
    put coconut oil and cocoa powder in small pan
    gently heat and stir til blended smooth
    take off heat - add 1tsp of vanilla
    stir in honey and peanut butter
    pour into a saran wrap lined brownie pan
    top with chopped nuts
    put in fridge for hour or so to chill and harden
    break into small pieces
    ++++++++++++++++++++
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. There is No Other.

Cannabis Medicine Recipes For Cancer And More http://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com

What’s paleo? Please define.

Amarilla, I'm old enough to remember the whole Atkins diet fad that led into what's now called the Paleo diet -- they are very similar:

https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/...th-one-another

Depending on what is wrong with you, the Atkins diet might be more workable on your schedule. The "maintenance" phase is less restrictive, so your husband might be more on board with it.

I agree: any diet that requires endless chopping and mountains of dishes is going to get old fast.

When I'm really busy, I take a portion of Sunday and cook ahead for the week: my freezer is my friend! I no longer live where I can get great inexpensive vegan dishes to go, but if you have a nearby vegan restaurant that's inexpensive and prepares dishes that fit your eating plan, that's another option.

Also, if you are going to chop and peel endless veggies, it's worth organizing your workspace, getting decent knives, and learning to use them. Forget the electric food choppers. Those are a pain to clean. It's faster to clean one or two knives! Youtube is your friend if you don't have any Asian cooking classes nearby. One of my former housemates could have the veggies washed and chopped up in a little less than five minutes. He worked in an Asian restaurant for several years. There are speed techniques.

Lastly, look into what can be done with your slow cooker. I've heard of Paleo "dump" dinners. Whether they taste good, I don't know, but when I'm busy, taste is secondary to speed. Again, your husband might not be on board with that, but maybe he can do some of the cooking.

My condolences on the MIL situation. That's not helpful at all. Keep in mind that stress messes with your hormones which will impact your weight loss. Exercise (walking is great!) helps reduce stress, so if your doctor approves, you might want to brown bag a simple lunch and spend most of your lunch break walking.

Good luck with all this! I've both experimented (and been put on) various diets through the years. Nothing worked until I made eating correctly my first priority. It really is a full-time job! Both the "diet industry" and the food manufactures (ADM is evil) are not in your corner. They both want you dependent on their products. Once you realize that and how even shopping at most grocery stores is a losing battle, you'll be further ahead.

Don't know if these will help. Saw them today in the free kindle books.

Paleo Slow Cooker Cookbook: Easy to Prepare Healthy Crock Pot Paleo Recipes Kindle Edition
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=untagged-20

Paleo Diet Recipes: Healthy Paleo Snacks Kindle Edition

Paleo Diet: The Complete Paleo Diet for Beginners to Lose Weight and Live a Healthier Lifestyle

Paleo Pressure Cooker Cookbook: Quick, Easy and Delicious Paleo Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes for Everyday Meals

Piece of Cake Paleo - Bread and Breakfast Recipes
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tag=dailyfb-20

Paleo for Beginners: A Practical Guide to Getting Started with Paleo
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tag=dailyfb-20

I've found it helpful to cook extra like mentioned above. And I do it a little at a time-----I never could find the time or energy to cook ahead for a week/month like some people suggest.

What I do is cook enough for at least two meals at once, and freeze the extra for another day. After doing this over time I will have saved up several "back-up" meals that I can then pull out of the freezer and reheat.

Another thing I do is prepare the veggies ahead of time and bag them/store them in containers. Doing this saves on prep time.

While I agree with Meemur that for *individual recipes*, chopping with a good knife, cutting board and practice is faster than a food processor and then the cleanup, if you're going to try the suggestions for cooking more in bulk and then freezing extras, a food processor can save HOURS of time for big batches.

And while "big" in your life probably isn't what I do when cooking for 25 for holidays or making 12 gallons of soup out of the garden for canning later, that just means you don't need a 14 cup Cuisinart processor! I have a small food processor/blender combo I got *really* cheap a few years back, and it's great for small batches (but larger than half a dozen carrots and a couple onions for a meal with planned-overs). There's something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC...2668251&sr=1-3

Or, for a larger one (still small enough to do relatively small batches) https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...r%3D1-1-spons%

You might want to look at some of the "once a month cooking" pages... I wonder if there is one specifically for Paleo? Even if there isn't, the techniques should carry over just fine...

Summerthyme

Its winter. I make chicken noodle soup in crock. Garlic. onion. carrots. celery. whole chicken, spices . . .
    once it is cooked (about 3.5 hours) take the chicken out and pull the meat off, chop it up and add it back.
    I add. couple hands of egg noodles.
    it makes about 6 storage containers for the fridge
    the noodles are the only thing that is not paleo. so, don't put as many in.
    I have experimented with substituting rice for egg noodles - put on weight.
    corn - puts on weight.
    potatoes - puts on weight
    You cook a pot once a week - and everybody else needs to keep their mitts off.

get bored? fine - add some salsa and a few nacho chips before you microwave and you have tortilla soup.
    Add some cream and you have cream of chicken soup.
    add some cheese and you have cheese soup
    (chicken stock is the base for most soup and you can make a number of variations)

another simple thing is buy a pack of chicken breast strips ($7 for a pack of 16 strips). Put two strip in a sauce pan. Cover ith water. Cook for 5-10 minutes until done. Remove and pull it (like pulled pork). Mix some mayo and some cheese for chicken salad - eat on a few saltines.
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    Its winter. I make chicken noodle soup in crock. Garlic. onion. carrots. celery. whole chicken, spices . . .
    once it is cooked (about 3.5 hours) take the chicken out and pull the meat off, chop it up and add it back.
    I add. couple hands of egg noodles.
    it makes about 6 storage containers for the fridge
    the noodles are the only thing that is not paleo. so, don't put as many in.
    I have experimented with substituting rice for egg noodles - put on weight.
    corn - puts on weight.
    potatoes - puts on weight
    You cook a pot once a week - and everybody else needs to keep their mitts off.

get bored? fine - add some salsa and a few nacho chips before you microwave and you have tortilla soup.
    Add some cream and you have cream of chicken soup.
    add some cheese and you have cheese soup
    (chicken stock is the base for most soup and you can make a number of variations)

another simple thing is buy a pack of chicken breast strips ($7 for a pack of 16 strips). Put two strip in a sauce pan. Cover ith water. Cook for 5-10 minutes until done. Remove and pull it (like pulled pork). Mix some mayo and some cheese for chicken salad - eat on a few saltines.
    She's Paleo, so no pasta!

I am a cave man at heart, and have followed the cave man diet,
    for many years.

Cave men and women knew nothing of grains,
    which I believe, are at the very foundation of the bad health,
    that affects most people.

No wheat, no rye, no barley, no oats, and no corn or rice.

Two farm raised raw eggs in a blender,
    with chocolate whey powder,
    and a serving of super green foods.
    Also used the Youngivity vitamins and minerals mix.

It will do you good, and I lost lots of weight,
    and never was hungry.

Also lots of energy.

Please be safe everyone, and please arm up.

Regards to all deplorables.
    Nowski
    "Read everything, listen to everyone, believe absolutely nothing,
    unless you can prove it with your own research." Milton William Cooper

"Life is a glass, half empty, of spoiled milk, sitting in a bed of thorns." Nowski

I'm on (or supposed to be on) the auto-immune protocol, which is basically Paleo but even stricter to deal with auto-immune diseases. (And it works very well.) I wasn't losing weight even though I badly need to, so I started doing intermittent fasting. I not only feel better (and am starting to lose weight), it also means a lot less meal prep and clean up, since I'm only eating one meal a day (and sometimes a small snack within the eating 'window'). Unless you are already too thin, it might be something to try, since it would reduce the amount of work involved with staying on Paleo.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

We're 80/20 with the 21 Day Fix meal plan from Beach Body on Demand. I food prep on Sunday.

I make veggie bags for his lunches for the week, and a large bag of mixed raw veggies for myself for the week.

I cook either a beef or pork roast and/or a bunch of chicken Sunday evening. This gives us dinners and the roast and/or chicken is for sandwiches or for salads.

For weeknight meals I either cook something simple like those skinny/thin pork chops that Aldi's now sells, a baked sweet potato, and a steamed veggie, or I make a large pot of soup that'll last two to three days.

I also make various types of casseroles that can be eaten for one to two days. Frittatas are a wonderful solution and are definitely Paleo approved.

You can make a lasagna with half of the pan consisting of zucchini noodles and the other half with regular pasta noodles. Again will last one or two meals.

Here's a great place to get Paleo recipes. I use this website for keto which is similar to Paleo.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/paleo/?lp=true

Quote Originally Posted by Nowski View Post
    I am a cave man at heart, and have followed the cave man diet,
    for many years.

Cave men and women knew nothing of grains,
    which I believe, are at the very foundation of the bad health,
    that affects most people.
    Various archeological digs have proven this to not be true! Cave men did eat grains, they just didn't farm them in the traditional sense and they didn't eat them consistently, but they did eat grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    What’s paleo? Please define.
    Paleo diet; the idea is to re-create the diet that humans actually ate over the hundreds of thousands of years of evolution before the fairly recent agricultural revolution introduced grains and foods arising from animal domestication. The claim is that our bodies evolved to handle prehistoric food sources and not from
    refined grains, etc.

In post number 7 these unsuitable foods are listed: "Salt, sugar, flour, potatoes, rice, barley, bread, dairy, etc."

The objective is to only eat the foods available to humanoids while they were evolving; typically plants, seeds, nuts, animal flesh and their fats. Some physical anthropologists made the case that humanoids were on the bottom of the predator food chain and exploited bone marrow from other's kills.

Of course this diet assumes you accept the theory of human evolution; if you think the Earth is only 6,000 years old, well, then is diet isn't for you.

Real Paleo gungho diet adherents won't even eat New World plants like tomatoes and beans because they were not accessible to Old World hominids.

FA
    Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bás in Éirinn!

Christianity is the estranged descendent of a bizarre Jewish apocalyptic cult.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Quote Originally Posted by Weft and Warp View Post
    I've found it helpful to cook extra like mentioned above. And I do it a little at a time-----I never could find the time or energy to cook ahead for a week/month like some people suggest.

What I do is cook enough for at least two meals at once, and freeze the extra for another day. After doing this over time I will have saved up several "back-up" meals that I can then pull out of the freezer and reheat.

Another thing I do is prepare the veggies ahead of time and bag them/store them in containers. Doing this saves on prep time.
    This really can work well... I call it "planned overs" (as opposed to "leftovers"). One reason I got my smaller All-American canner was so I could can up small (7 quarts or less... usually it's a few pints or even half pints) batches of soups or stews I made for supper... it doesn't take me that much longer to prep 5# of stew meat, onions, garlic, etc than it does to do a pound... and then I've got 10 meals in jars by the end of the evening.

And yes, when I first read about your issues with time involved in chopping veggies, etc, I thought "if you plan menus for the week and chop up all the fresh veggies you'll need for those menus, you can store them in decent containers in the fridge and they'll be just fine for a week"

The problem with your hubby not liking the recipes is a bit bigger, but (I don't really even know what Paleo involves).. could you add some "non-Paleo" ingredients or side dishes that would suit him better, maybe after pulling your part out first? I like making "homemade chicken fingers" from boneless breasts, an egg and milk wash, and then bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese... But if someone who is on an extremely low-carb diet wants to eat with us, I'll pull out a chicken breast first and saute it without any additions. Maybe you could stir fry some meat, but could then make some gravy for hubby to have a stew over potatoes? Or make him a hot sandwich with cheese, while you stick with the meat plain?

I do need to point out that MANY people who think they are "gluten intolerant" are actually reacting to the Roundup that is being sprayed on most grain crops to quickly dry them down right before harvesting. If you *want* to see if that might be part of the reason you "get sick" when you go off the Paleo limits, try using an organic grain product and see if that makes a difference. If you really haven't eaten ANY grains for several months, however, start SLOW... a bite or two. Because our gut bacteria "adapt" to our diets, and anyone who quickly changes their diet or suddenly consumes a "new" food in large quantities WILL have symptoms, possibly including some quite distressing ones. That doesn't necessarily mean they are "allergic" or "intolerant" of that food, though... just that their gut isn't used to digesting it. Starting slow, and using a good quality probiotic can make a big difference.

As far as the MIL... I hope she's not living WITH you! Truly, as long as she's not... you're in control (or can be, at least!) of the situation. Sit down with hubby, and in a non-confrontational way (don't criticize his mom, no matter how well deserved or accurate!) tell him how she is making your life more stressful or difficult, and see if you can find ways to work around it. Small amounts of contact on YOUR terms will often keep even demanding aging relatives satisfied, and will help maintain your sanity.

I wish you well!

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Various archeological digs have proven this to not be true! Cave men did eat grains, they just didn't farm them in the traditional sense and they didn't eat them consistently, but they did eat grains.
    ABSOLUTELY! They were "wild" grains, and hand harvested, so they were eaten more as a treat and side dish... but they certainly were eaten. They probably were also ground up in crude stone mills, and added to meat soups and stews to thicken the broth.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Aetius View Post
    Real Paleo gungho diet adherents won't even eat New World plants like tomatoes and beans because they were not accessible to Old World hominids.
    And totally ignore the fact that the so called new world was inhabited with hominids as well, since if following the theory to it's complete origins then one must accept the Pangea theory where all of the continents were one huge mass at one point in time.

Agree with Nowski on the smoothies. Smoothies can be quick, healthy and filling. Find a protein powder with the ingredients that work for you, and you might find that life gets a bit simpler.

I drink at least two a day, and they can be just about anything. Greens in them are tasty (make sure you wash and inspect the greens even if the pkg. says "washed." (Speaking from experience here, and I'm not the only on who has found icky stuff in "washed" greens.)

They also didn't saturate them with poison (Roundup/Glyphosate).

When you're doing the Paleo, you're helping yourself feel better. Keep that in mind! Feeling better matters, in so many ways.

Amarilla, you are so lucky to have your doctor's support in recommending Paleo to you. If he "put you on Paleo", this is even better, because you have an authority here that even your MIL will bow to. Awful as it is, it's a bow in your quiver that you can and should use.

Did some paleo, and prefer just a whole food diet with intermittent fasting (edited to add: But only added the carbs when weight was solidly in the normal range). Remember when mom or grandma said not to eat between meals? That's about it in a nutshell. I do 14 hours a day off food and sometimes longer, just because there are things to do that delay a meal. Not hungry. Recommend that you add that to your personal "things to check out" list.

When I was trying to get a family member by marriage to try ketogenic, thought long and hard how to make it acceptable. The only thing that made sense was to cook a turkey and eat all he wanted. They're quick and easy to cook, if you don't add all the extras. Then you have freezer-ready ingredients for stir fries, etc. And broth for quick soups.

Looks like it comes down to batch cooking as the best approach. We find that coconut flour is excellent in gravy, and keeps the carbs down, too.

You can have delicious meals and eat hearty with a little practice. Yes, it was a chore at first, but you'll make your own shortcuts and new habits.

Best of luck. Don't have a cookbook, but have enjoyed Mark's apple blog. (marksdailyapple.com), especially in the early years when the encouragement was greatly appreciated.

Whatever you do, don't give up on a diet that makes you feel better. Support is important. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCraftsman View Post
    They also didn't saturate them with poison (Roundup/Glyphosate).
    Yeah, that's a new thing. Most everyone I know now is now gluten intolerant.

Here, without throwing this thread off-topic, I'll post some of my best saved links on intermittent fasting. This should be part of any paleo diet because snacking around at night and eating all day was definately NOT part of the paleo life. In fact, even civilized people for thousands of years ate infrequently. The Ancient Greeks and Romans ate only at night, relishing the extra energy they enjoyed during their fasting days. Then they slept it off.

https://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi...-benefits.aspx

https://drjockers.com/intermittent-f...ling-modality/

https://jamesclear.com/the-beginners...ittent-fasting

https://drpompa.com/additional-resou...st-health-ever

Here is a Paleo guy who says he feels intermittent fasting should be part of the regimen.

https://paleoleap.com/intermittent-fasting-paleo-diet/

"Intermittent fasting is a logical extension of Paleo, for people who want to eat not only what they evolved to digest, but when they evolved to digest it. Eating Paleo also makes fasting relatively easy: if you avoid refined carbohydrates, your energy levels don’t spike and crash with every meal, so you shouldn’t experience wooziness or “brain fog” during a fast."

And totally ignore the fact that the so called new world was inhabited with hominids as well, since if following the theory to it's complete origins then one must accept the Pangea theory where all of the continents were one huge mass at one point in time.
    A huge controversy. New World humans were physically evolved modern homo sapiens types and travelled from the Old World. There were no humanoids on Pangea as that was many millions of years before even the first primates appeared.

How long humanoids have been evolved [and where] is hotly debated. For the purposes of the Paleo diet, the changes in foods eaten are very recent and our bodies haven't fully adapted to them. For example, the current use of sugar laden drinks has caused a epidemic of type 2 diabetes.

Digs show that post Agricultural Revolution skeletons were shorter in stature, and the bones were thinner than that of Cro Magnon humans.

FA

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Quote Originally Posted by almost ready View Post
    Here, without throwing this thread off-topic, I'll post some of my best saved links on intermittent fasting. This should be part of any paleo diet because snacking around at night and eating all day was definately NOT part of the paleo life. In fact, even civilized people for thousands of years ate infrequently. The Ancient Greeks and Romans ate only at night, relishing the extra energy they enjoyed during their fasting days. Then they slept it off.

https://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi...-benefits.aspx

https://drjockers.com/intermittent-f...ling-modality/

https://jamesclear.com/the-beginners...ittent-fasting

https://drpompa.com/additional-resou...st-health-ever

From my understanding it was feast or famine, and it all depended on the time of year, and weather patterns, hence the people were for many thousands of years, nomadic. Many native americans would plant the three sisters and then go off to their summer hunting and fishing grounds, and would return in the autumn to harvest their bounty, collecting what berries and the like along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Aetius View Post
    A huge controversy. New World humans were physically evolved modern homo sapiens types and travelled from the Old World. There were no humanoids on Pangea as that was many millions of years before even the first primates appeared.

How long humanoids have been evolved [and where] is hotly debated. For the purposes of the Paleo diet, the changes in foods eaten are very recent and our bodies haven't fully adapted to them. For example, the current use of sugar laden laden drinks has caused a epidemic of type 2 diabetes.

Digs show that post Agricultural Revolution skeletons were shorter in stature, and the bones were thinner than that of Cro Magnon humans.

FA
    Genesis -> Peleg. Pangeia didn't split millions of years ago, it happened in recent earth history.

Genesis -> Peleg. Pangeia didn't split millions of years ago, it happened in recent earth history.
    If that's what you believe, fine. I don't doubt you are fervent in your beliefs. I prefer in to deal in reality, facts, and science.

FA

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Question

Amaryllis, do you provide fresh loaves of bread and other yummies for DH and MIL?

For many years I was on ketogenic, raising kids, too, and often entertaining. My best luck was from baking racks of sweet and russet potatoes, and buying good bread. Always had plenty for them to "fill up on". After all, they didn't buy into the health diet.

The only thing I'd do differently today is provide gluten-free loaves, which are plentiful now, and delicious.

Also whatever fruits they like, bananas or whatever. Then your paleo main dish will be more easily accepted.

Am curious if you're already doing this, because then the problem is not really a food prep issue. Support is so important, and lack of it can be so draining.

The Bible speaks of eating grains as well, God made grain for us to eat. He didn't make glyphosate/Roundup to coat the stuff in however, and I find people with gluten/grain "intolerances" are actually reacting to the chemicals. Does anyone remember anyone being allergic to, or have intolerance to, or have "celiac" disease 20 years ago? In school? Peanut allergies? Nope, not a single person I ever recall in school had any of that, those are modern chemical reactions IMO.

If you hate prep get a food processor!!! Costco had the Cuisinart 14 cup on sale for Black Friday and I got one, it's got a mini prep bowl with it, a food spiralizer and spaghetti cutter (for veggies). What I really like is the shredding blade is reversible so you can get a fine or coarse shred, and the slicing blade has an adjustible piece so you can get super thin to super thick slices. Also the food chute has a smaller opening for things like carrots or celery so they don't tip sideways and make long slices (if that's what you want you can use the bigger chute).

I've never had a mayo batch fail me when I use the Cuisinart. Ever. I've probably paid for the machine in just that alone. I won't buy chemical soy/canola crap mass produced mayo, it's poison and it tastes like crap. I use avocado oil when I make my mayo and it's great.

I, my dad and bf went on the raw food diet several years back, they lost weight like mad (I was not so lucky) but I was in the kitchen for 5 hours a day prepping, so I know what you're going through. Food processor is a lifesaver.

I generally dislike chicken/turkey breast meat as it's so dang dry and tasteless, but one thing my electric pressure cooker does really well is breast meat, it turns out juicy and yummy so long as I don't overcook it. I'm not sure what paleo is, I did the keto diet (very low carbs, moderate fats, meats, veggies), I learned that the fat really keeps you from getting hungry and won't make you gain weight. There are a lot of neat substitutes out there for bread (Eric Berg has a really good one, you can't tell it's not wheat based), go to youtube and type in 'cloud bread' or paleo recipes and you'll turn up tons of really good recipes and neat people who make videos on the subject. They generally give you tips on what you can do and not do, mistakes they've made, options, etc.

Have you tried eating only organic grains? Raw milk products? I can do those without issue, but if I eat non-organic I get intense gut distress, swelling, etc.

ETA: My condolences on the passing of your father. I can't imagine having a mother-in-law living in the house, bf's mom is nice in small doses, but after a few days that little lady becomes a badger, ganging up with her twin who both feed off one another and think of new ways to be mean. Women are master of the interiors of their home, it's their workplace, they are the boss; no two should ever live under the same roof, as there cannot be 2 bosses. If you want to see the worst in any woman force her to live under the same roof with another without escape, oy vey. Mormon polygamists know this and build separate homes for each wife if they can.
    Last edited by Flippper; 12-07-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

She's Paleo, so no pasta!
    true. but if you make a crockpot of chicken soup, then when you are done, you can
    take half of it and put it in containers for your meals later in the week
    and put egg noodles in the other half for the neanderthals in the house that refuse to cook their own food (just add the noodles and continue to cook 45 mins)
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post
    . Does anyone remember anyone being allergic to, or have intolerance to, or have "celiac" disease 20 years ago? In school? Peanut allergies?
    yes, but they were the rarity, now it's so common that pretty much everyone I know is gluten free. As for nut allergies yes, a couple of students but it wasn't so severe that the entire school had to be nut/peanut free. We also had a kid that was allergic to ALL dairy products. They got a carton of orange juice instead of milk with their lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    true. but if you make a crockpot of chicken soup, then when you are done, you can
    take half of it and put it in containers for your meals later in the week
    and put egg noodles in the other half for the neanderthals in the house that refuse to cook their own food (just add the noodles and continue to cook 45 mins)
    She needs an instant pot having one would make her life a heck of a lot easier.

As for the others in the house, she's not a short order cook, either eat what she cooks or starve, and if they demand, bitch, and/or whine then she should demand $15 an hour up front to cook their special requests. There that's their two options!

If I went Keto30 you can bet your sweet bippy Orion Commander would be doing Keto30 right with me OR he'd cook the things he wants to eat. And we do this now. I cook dinner if he wants potatoes he'll cook his own potatoes, or he'll add a slice of bread and butter since he's basically stopped eating potatoes, I'm allergic to potatoes and all potato by products to the point I can't even peel them w/o having an allergic reaction to them now.

Stick the MIL in a nursing home... I consider nursing homes the price one pays for being a chronic b*tch all of one's life, same thing with nasty old men. My dad won that special prize, he was a monster when we were kids and he's even worse with dementia.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    I almost never follow recipes. Just assemble some of the approved ingredients, and prepare them however you want.

Sorry to hear about the MIL. Something like that would have me moving out of the house.
    This
    Paleo roughly follows the idea that you eat what paleolithic man (who had no fire) ate. You CAN cook but you don't have to. Just roast a chicken and steam some broccli. Or grill a steak and eat a salad. It is not hard
    "Be Prepared" - Boy Scouts Motto
    "And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch." - Jesus Christ, Mk 13:37
    "Don't worry, be happy" - Bobby Mcferrin
    "Take a chill pill" - Mongo

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    This
    Paleo roughly follows the idea that you eat what paleolithic man (who had no fire) ate. You CAN cook but you don't have to. Just roast a chicken and steam some broccli. Or grill a steak and eat a salad. It is not hard
    A large salad can be made up in advance on Sunday. The more perishable parts can be cut up right at dinner time.