Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

SCAM Interpreter Caught Faking Sign Language, No One Surprised Once Her Background Is Researched
+ Reply to Thread

Interpreter Caught Faking Sign Language, No One Surprised Once Her Background Is Researched

December 6, 2017

While hosting a press conference about a Tampa serial killer, the police department turned red with embarrassment when they saw that the sign language interpreter was signing gibberish.

As Chief Brian Dugan announced the charges in the serial killer case that kept the nation on its toes, sign language interpreter Derlyn Roberts used the opportunity to poke fun at the legal system.

Roberts had a history of crime and was previously convicted of felony fraud. And Tampa police were surprised when she started signing “like she was singing Jingle Bells” because they had not requested a sign interpreter for the press conference.

Nevertheless, Roberts baffled all the hearing impaired people when she used gibberish gestures during the critical press conference.

During the announcement, Chief Dugan announced that Tampa police had arrested serial killer Howell Donaldson on Wednesday night. And with American Sign Language interpreter Derlyn Roberts by his side, she started making gestures that made no sense to anyone. Viewers are home and in the audience were stunned that the Tampa police had given a fraud such a prominent role in the press conference.

DailyMail.com obtained state records that indicate Roberts, 53, who also goes by an alias Derlyn Glover once served five years in prison for a felony fraud conviction. She was released in April 2016. She was also convicted of grand theft and burglary.

Question of the week: If you could take a vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be?

“She sat up there and waved her arms like she was singing Jingle Bells,” Rachell Settambrino, who is deaf and teaches American Sign Language at the University of South Florida, told the Tampa Bay Times through an interpreter.

While Roberts was not making any sense, she was signing actual words.

Settambrino said Roberts signed: “Fifty-one hours ago, zero 12 22 (indecipherable) murder three minutes in 14 weeks ago in old (indecipherable) murder four five 55,000 plea 10 arrest murder bush (indecipherable) three age 24.”

While Roberts was faking her way through the conference, Chief Dugan was describing the timeline of the four shootings. He spoke about how the Tampa police had received 5,000 tips before they arrested the suspect.

“I was disappointed, confused, upset and really want to know why the city of Tampa’s chief of police, who is responsible for my safety … did not check her out,” Settambrino said.

The city was confused. They didn’t know how Roberts got into the press conference or why she had the job in the first place.

Tampa Police Department representative Janelle McGregor told the Tampa Bay Times that officials had launched a review.

When the police held a follow-up conference the next day, they had a different interpreter, Ben Zapata, besides the police chief. He was competent.

This incident is not the first time an unqualified person appeared at a news conference to interpret for the hearing impaired.

In the wake of Hurricane Irma in September, Florida hired another incompetent interpreter. As officials ordered an evacuation, the interpreter for Manatee County signed words like “pizza,” “monster,” “bear,” and plenty more gibberish.

Do you think Robert should face charges for the misinformation? Or was it just a funny joke?
    http://awm.com/interpreter-caught-fa...is-researched/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNPKwz4Ghw
    1:32

Published on Dec 5, 2017

Another sign-language interpreter is accused of signing total gibberish. This time it was at the police news conference announcing an arrest in the Tampa serial killings. A woman standing off to the side was supposedly translating every word, but it turns out much of what she was signing was nonsense. The woman, identified as Derlyn Roberts, has a string of arrests for fraud. So how did she come to be "translating" at last week's high-profile police news conference?

If you look official you can get away with anything. I've often said that one guy taking an object of value will be arrested, but if there's a guy standing next to him with a clipboard, they'll walk out unmolested.

Remember him?....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtQXEQOnMU
    3:28
    Dec 11, 2013

The sign language interpreter used at Tuesday's memorial service for Nelson Mandela, and whose image was broadcast around the world as he shared a stage with world leaders including President Obama, was being called a "fake" by the Deaf Federation of South Africa.

State of Jefferson - On the Darkside where the cookies are...
    Doesn't anyone check these people out?!?!? BEFORE HAND!?!?!?!
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Having been an interpreter for another language (not ASL) in the court system, I have some experience in this area. Most people can not "check me out." They have no idea if I know what I say I do. They rely on others saying that I do. The number of people who are good enough to tell just isn't that large. Many people speak another language. Interpreting is a different ball game.

I have to balance thing like literal vs. meaning, think "it's raining cats and dogs." You can't always be literal even though many people want you to be.

You have to think about words that don't exist in the other language. Are you going to borrow the English word even though it has no meaning for them? Are you going to try and describe the word? Are you going to make up a word? Ignore the word?

Many languages have different words for singular and plural you. They also have different words for formal and informal you. I have to figure out which one to use.

Those are just some of the things you have to do in real time, while the person speaking doesn't/won't take a breath and pause for you to catch up. Or they decide to come up with some really off the wall thing. Or they use regional slang that doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as you learned the slang.

A

Was she translating into ebonics?
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

The comedian Garrett Morris would just shout loudly as the deaf interpreter.
    Last edited by Fetz; 12-07-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Dass wut I thought.... but den.... I realize it wuz apebonics.

That would be gang signs and it always leads to gun fights or stabings.
    Last edited by Publius; 12-07-2017 at 10:39 AM.

What is WRONG with these idiots!? How do they stand up and prove how deficient they are not only in ASL but devoid of rudimentary thinking ability... Nowski? Paging doctor Nowski?

Maybe there needs to be some kind of certification card for ASL, like there is for CPR or life guarding.

I love the "conducting a review" crap. Unless someone in the Tampa police gets FIRED and quickly, then it means nothing.

We reviewed ourselves and found improvements to make. Uh, thanks Captain Obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by imaginative View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNPKwz4Ghw
    1:32

Published on Dec 5, 2017

Another sign-language interpreter is accused of signing total gibberish. This time it was at the police news conference announcing an arrest in the Tampa serial killings. A woman standing off to the side was supposedly translating every word, but it turns out much of what she was signing was nonsense. The woman, identified as Derlyn Roberts, has a string of arrests for fraud. So how did she come to be "translating" at last week's high-profile police news conference?

That's not fake, that's just hood talk, you know ebonics, she's signing, which looks and sounds like gibberish to the rest of us.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by cjoi View Post
    What is WRONG with these idiots!? How do they stand up and prove how deficient they are not only in ASL but devoid of rudimentary thinking ability... Nowski? Paging doctor Nowski?

Maybe there needs to be some kind of certification card for ASL, like there is for CPR or life guarding.
    I think there is, my cousin went to special school to learn ASL and another one to become certified to teach ASL, she has one of those implant thingies so that she can actually hear now.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

That's what I was thinking as well, or casting some sort of voodoo spell!

Or it was a ghetto rendition of the "Hand Jive".
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Pathetic! Really? Really Pathetic!

Wow!

Omg, that was funny!
    יְשׁוּעָה
    I am in competition with no one. I have no desire to play the game of being better than anyone. I am simply trying harder to be a better person than I was yesterday.
    TRUTH

Yeah, from the time SNL was actually funny.

"The sign language interpreter used at Tuesday's memorial service for Nelson Mandela, and whose image was broadcast around the world as he shared a stage with world leaders including President Obama, was being called a "fake" by the Deaf Federation of South Africa."

That's the first thing that I thought of. IIRC, that's the same day moochelle was giving our glorious president the stink eye because he was trying to muh-dick the prime minister of Denmark.

When you go to the zoo, and see the primates,, ever notice how if you scratch your chin, they do too ?? If you yawn, so do they??

Same kind of "posturing" is involved here....
    "How could it have come to this.. an army of rabble... [spit]PEASANTS[/spit]... everything WILL change -- everything HAS changed - England's "General Cornwallis" - from "The Patriot"

My daughter is about to begin her final semester to get a BA in ASL minoring in education. She will be teaching ASL as a foreign language in high school. Even though she is fluent, she wouldn't dare do interpreting as it is a difficult skill to master. She watched it and says the criticism is a bit much; her take is that she was simply not a skilled, certified interpreter, and not great at ASL at all--- but not a total fake.

The guy who interpreted in Manatee Co. during Irma wasn't fake either, just a family member of a Deaf person who tried to help when needed. I suspect what happens in situations like this is they are rushed, realize they need an interpreter to be ADA compliant, and say hey, does anyone know someone who signs? Because the average hearing person dies not understand how complex the language is. Most do not even know it is a complete language with linguistics and even dialects.

I'm glad to see these events getting media attention because it means people are learning.

Yes -- you need to complete a 2- or 4-year degree in ASL Interpretation, and get at least a 2 out of 5 on a really tough test called SLPI (sign language proficiency interview). My daughter had to try twice before she got 2, and needs 2+ to complete her minor. (So... another $160 to Gallaudet U. for another test...) It's a difficult skill to master, much like interpreting any other language because it is not a direct translation, ASL has different grammar and constructs, closer to French (It was basically invented by a French guy). Plus you have to listen at the same time. ASL interpreters -- real ones -- rock.

Meezy, just out of curiosity, do you remember was it at Nelson Mandela’s memorial (?) the man who posed as a sign language interpreter? Do you/your daughter have an opinion about that fellow?

im not sure -- I think he turned out to be mentally ill. He was really a scammer, advertising his services when he wasn't qualified at all -- since so few people know ASL anyway, how would they be able to vet him without certification?

The First thing that came to my mind! Lol! V