Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

BRKG H.R. 38- Natl Concealed Recip PASSED!
+ Reply to Thread

4 H.R. 38- Natl Concealed Recip PASSED!

Just now.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is it's last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury, not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take... inventory.

Okay, did it include all the gun control measures alleged to have been in it?
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" will soon be available for sale at smashwords. The url is
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/267340 It is also at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

If the reconciliation includes Fix-NICS we be near screwed.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

No idea. I just happened to catch a live-stream of it in the last minute. I doubt it had all the purported gun-grabs in it because only 8 Dems voted for it.

The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is it's last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury, not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take... inventory.

This is not a good thing. Not even a little bit.
    “What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” — Author Tom Clancy

Tell them we don't want it if they changed or added to it.

Yep call senators and have them scrap it.
    Alabama - Independent Now and Forever - Noli Me Tangere

The Confederacy - Fighting Terrorism Since 1861

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    If the reconciliation includes Fix-NICS we be near screwed.
    What about Fix-NICS is a bad thing specifically. Those who should be reporting not reporting is a very real problem but I'm guessing they are going well beyond that.

I can see where West Virginia and any other state that went full constitutional carry and do away with issuing any kind of concealed license! You will have the right to cross state lines as our founders intended and no one but you know that your armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    What about Fix-NICS is a bad thing specifically. Those who should be reporting not reporting is a very real problem but I'm guessing they are going well beyond that.
    Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) is warning that House Leadership plans to merge Obama-style gun control with national reciprocity for concealed carry.
    This news comes just days before Rep. Richard Hudson’s (R-NC) national reciprocity legislation, H.R. 38, is supposed to go the House floor for a vote.

Massie explains that the Obama-style gun controls are contained in the “fix-NICS” legislation, the very legislation that House Leadership “plans to merge” with H.R. 38. He used a Facebook post to explain the “fix-NICS” legislation would allow “agencies, not just courts, to adjudicate your second amendment rights.”

He expounds:

[“Fix-NICS”] encourages administrative agencies, not the courts, to submit more names to a national database that will determine whether you can or can’t obtain a firearm. When President Obama couldn’t get Congress to pass gun control, he implemented a strategy of compelling, through administrative rules, the Veterans Administration and the Social Security Administration to submit lists of veterans and seniors, many of whom never had a day in court, to be included in the NICS database of people prohibited from owning a firearm. Only a state court, a federal (article III) court, or a military court, should ever be able to suspend your rights for any significant period of time.

Massie does not name names, but presumes that some are seeking to add the gun control legislation as a way of “to ensure reciprocity will pass in the Senate.” Yet he believes it is a foolish attempt to gain the support of Senators like Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Chuck Schumer (D-NY), who will not support national reciprocity legislation “even if it contains the fix-NICS legislation they support for expanding the background check database.”

Massie observed, “If our House leadership insists on bringing the flawed fix-NICS bill to the floor, they shouldn’t play games. We should vote separately on HR 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill, and HR 4477, the fix-NICS bill. And we should be given enough time to amend the fix-NICS bill, because it needs to be fixed, if not axed.”
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...l-reciprocity/

On December 4 Breitbart News reported that House Leadership plans to add gun control legislation to Rep. Richard Hudson’s (R-NC) national reciprocity bill when it comes to the floor for a vote.

Breitbart News has since learned that the legislation being eyed by House Leadership is similar to background check legislation that was pushed while Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) was Speaker of the House. That push, which ultimately passed and was signed by George W. Bush, consisted of “improving” the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) but was subsequently parlayed into expanding the number and types of persons listed as prohibited from gun purchases.

Barack Obama’s Social Security gun ban was a clear example of how the Pelosi-era gun controls matured. Obama’s ban opened the door to prohibiting gun purchases by Social Security beneficiaries who required help managing their finances. The Social Security gun ban did not necessarily target harmful people, but it did threaten the gun rights of a large swath of elderly persons whose only means of defense might be the .38 Special revolver or 9mm pistol on the nightstand.

Duke University psychiatry and behavioral science professor Jeffrey Swanson described the Social Security gun ban as a method of punishing the “vulnerable” rather than the dangerous.

A repeal of the Social Security gun ban was signed by President Trump in February 2017, but the “fix-NICS” gun control House Leadership plans to piggyback on national reciprocity runs the risk of putting bureaucrats between Americans and their guns once more. Gun Owners of America reports that “‘fix-NICS’ would require that the rolls of Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, and ObamaCare be trolled for recipients with PTSD, ADHD, or Alzheimer’s — that is, people who have had guardians appointed.

Fix-NICS” is a bill that should be considered separately where it can be supported or rejected on its own merit, instead of sneaked through while Americans are thinking about reciprocity being corrected.
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...l-reciprocity/
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared

"You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson

I am known for my "snotty gibberish", aren't I?

Massie explains that the Obama-style gun controls are contained in the “fix-NICS” legislation, the very legislation that House Leadership “plans to merge” with H.R. 38. He used a Facebook post to explain the “fix-NICS” legislation would allow “agencies, not just courts, to adjudicate your second amendment rights.”
    [“Fix-NICS”] encourages administrative agencies, not the courts, to submit more names to a national database that will determine whether you can or can’t obtain a firearm. When President Obama couldn’t get Congress to pass gun control, he implemented a strategy of compelling, through administrative rules, the Veterans Administration and the Social Security Administration to submit lists of veterans and seniors, many of whom never had a day in court, to be included in the NICS database of people prohibited from owning a firearm. Only a state court, a federal (article III) court, or a military court, should ever be able to suspend your rights for any significant period of time.
    Which part of "Shall not be infringed" does this fall under? Is it ok to rob people of their constitutional rights so long as you remain temporary unaffected? Congress keeps chipping away at what is supposed to an inalienable right; a right for some but not others? How is that justified?

No amendments were passed and I'm not seeing any inclusion of HR4477 in the text of this bill.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...e-bill/38/text
    “The quieter you become, the more you can hear.”
    ― Ram Dass

You know what the difference is between an inalienable right and no rights is? The Senate and House both controlled by Democrats and RINOs.

There are a number of court rulings that forbid government from arbitrarily striping a citizen of their constitutional rights without going to a full blown jury court trial.

It will fail in the Senate
    “The quieter you become, the more you can hear.”
    ― Ram Dass

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    There are a number of court rulings that forbid government from arbitrarily striping a citizen of their constitutional rights without going to a full blown jury court trial.
    Not trying to give you a hard time but where in the Constitution does it say anyone's rights can be stripped away? They are either inalienable or they are not. If some can have their rights stripped away why does the government need a court's permission to do it? Last time I read the constitution I didn't see where it gives the Judicial Branch the power to revoke the Bill of Rights except for treason.

GOA will not advocate for a bill enforcing gun control

Dear Friend:

Yesterday, the House Rules Committee voted to combine the reciprocity and anti-gun “Fix NICS” bills (H.R. 38 and H.R. 4477).

The combined bill now goes to the House floor, with votes scheduled for today.

Because of the united push from gun control groups, the NRA and many House Republicans, the “Fix NICS” portion has an OVERWHELMING majority in the House.

Not only that, a stand-alone “Fix NICS” bill has an OVERWHELMING majority in the Senate. This is further evidenced by the fact that Republican Senate leaders Mitch McConnell and John Cornyn -- along with Democrat leaders Chuck Schumer and Chris Murphy -- are all cosponsors and strongly supporting Fix NICS (S. 2135).

So the result of passing the NICS bill apart from reciprocity would be for gun control to be fast-tracked to President Trump’s desk, while reciprocity died under a Schumer-led filibuster.

Interestingly, Senators Cornyn and Murphy did NOT want a combined bill because they want to send Fix NICS legislation to the President.

Senator John Cornyn was quoted in the Daily Caller as saying:

We have good bipartisan support for [Fix NICS]. It’s really important and it will save lives, but if we start trying to add other things to it [like concealed carry reciprocity], then I think we risk not doing anything which has sort of been the fate of a lot of the legislation we’ve tried in the past. So, I’d like to do the fix NICS and then we can move on from there.

Anti-gunners Oppose Combining the Two Bills

Senator Cornyn was not alone in wanting to keep the bills separate.

Democrat Senator Chris Murphy (CT) said that this combined bill would be D.O.A. in the Senate, as he considers concealed carry reciprocity a poison pill. And he was quoted in The Washington Post as saying that the combining of the two measures “is to risk nothing happening.”

Prominent anti-gunners in the House also oppose combining the two bills.

When appearing before the House Rules Committee yesterday, Democrat Representatives Jerry Nadler (NY) and Sheila Jackson Lee (TX) argued against combining reciprocity and Fix NICS.

Also appearing before the committee, Rep. Dina Titus (D-NV) complained that including concealed carry reciprocity in the bill was a “poison pill” that would kill the Fix NICS legislation. She announced that she wanted to offer an amendment to strike the concealed carry reciprocity language -- a request which was denied by the committee.

Outside of Congress, Moms Demand Action does NOT want a combined bill because they want a Fix NICS bill without reciprocity. You can see their tweet here.

Same with Bloomberg’s Everytown, which opposes combining the two bills.

What all these anti-gun legislators and groups realize is that merging the two bills would be the best way to kill the Fix NICS legislation.

Unfortunately, because of a few Red State Democrats, we don’t have the votes right now to pass reciprocity in the Senate.

And that means that the most likely outcome of two separate bills moving through the House would be for the NICS bill to ultimately get signed into law while reciprocity dies.

Now that the House Rules Committee has combined the two provisions, GOA is not advocating for the bill, because we don’t want to pass a bill to make an unconstitutional system deny additional law-abiding citizens from exercising their rights.

(You can view our earlier alert here to see why the Fix NICS bill could better be termed a “Traffic Ticket Gun Ban.”)

Having said this, gun owners should realize the silver lining that has emerged. The combined bill has tremendously frustrated the anti-gun Left, because now they fear the NICS bill is dead -- if the House passes the bill today.

What Happens Now?

So, the two provisions (both good and bad) have now been joined together in H.R. 38. The House is scheduled to vote on the combined bill today.

Gun owners will assuredly want to know: What happens next?

Well, if the House does pass Fix NICS with reciprocity, then the Senate will most likely kill the background check language because, as we stated above, leading Republicans and Democrats do NOT want the bills combined.

As recently as yesterday, Senator Chris Murphy said that such a combined bill would be dead on arrival in the Senate.

Of course, the Senate could attempt to strip the reciprocity portion of the bill and send only gun control back to the House. But having just passed reciprocity, the tables would be turned and a vote to pass Fix NICS as a stand-alone bill in the House at that point would be considered a vote to kill reciprocity -- putting our side in a much stronger position to vote it down.

What happens if the House defeats the combined bill? If Senator Cornyn has his way, the Senate will quickly try to send a Fix NICS-only bill to the House.

Will the Senate Move Quickly to Pass Fix NICS?

When asked by The Daily Caller if Sen. Cornyn preferred to wait until the next Congress to pass concealed carry reciprocity, Cornyn replied,

Well I want to get this background check problem fixed as soon as possible, hopefully even this week here in the Senate. And I don’t want to do anything [such as reciprocity] to bog down our ability to get that done. I do think at some point we should take up constitutional carry, because I think it’s important but combining them, I think, is to risk nothing happening.

If the Senate were to pass a stand-alone NICS bill, the House would most likely agree to it and send it to President Trump.

So if the House defeats the bill today, we will have to expend a herculean effort in trying to kill the Traffic Ticket Gun Ban.

And we will be calling on all our members to bombard their legislators in opposition to a bill that (sadly) has tremendous support in Congress.

Things are happening quickly.

Please stay tuned for more details as they become available.

In Liberty,

Erich Pratt
    Executive Director
    Follow me on Twitter: @erichmpratt

https://gunowners.org/alert12062017.htm

The actual vote:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll663.xml

You can see the breakdown of the vote at that link.
    Attached Images
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

Beat me to it. (breakdown of votes)

Additionally--I agree it's DOA in the senate--too many RINOs and you know no D will support it.

It's really amazing to me---here in AZ all of the D reps voted it down when we are a big CCW state (and Constitutional). You'd think THEY would like their own constituents to be able to carry across state lines--This proves it's a bigger issue for all D's--DISARM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seer View Post
    Not trying to give you a hard time but where in the Constitution does it say anyone's rights can be stripped away? They are either inalienable or they are not. If some can have their rights stripped away why does the government need a court's permission to do it? Last time I read the constitution I didn't see where it gives the Judicial Branch the power to revoke the Bill of Rights except for treason.

It doesn't, but various state governments in the past has tried and the court stepped in and told them this is not allowed. Only by Due Process of Law can this be done.

Here is the link to the actual text of the bill no NICS language in there at all
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr38/text
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Captbill View Post
    This proves it's a bigger issue for all D's--DISARM.
    I think just the opposite, there were 14 R's that voted against it, those are the real traitors.

Speaking of traitors, remember this list next November '18, vote them out!
    Attached Images
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

ALL of them should have voted NO on it. And they should have strung up whoever the idiot was that thought this should be a law.

This comes from a friend of mine:

National reciprocity legislation is built upon a permitting scheme that, itself, is unconstitutional if one takes the "bear" part of keep and bear literally. Those who wish to carry concealed (and in rarer cases, openly) have already long ago acquiesced and actively consented to that infringement in every state except for Vermont at one time or another. Now gun owners, led down the primrose path (again) by none other than the NRA, GOA and SAF (among other less significant .orgs), are wanting to trade what little is left of their Second Amendment privileges for the authority of government to nationalize, centralize and control concealed carry out of existence, but apparently most of them don't know that indisputable fact.
    “What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” — Author Tom Clancy

Quote Originally Posted by fi103r View Post
    Here is the link to the actual text of the bill no NICS language in there at all
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr38/text
    I hasn't been update since the 4th at that link, whatever happened yesterday isn't reflected in the text.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I hasn't been update since the 4th at that link, whatever happened yesterday isn't reflected in the text.
    Here is what was reported to the house for the vote
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...e-bill/38/text

No NICS bs is in there

Full text

A BILL
    To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a means by which nonresidents of a State whose residents may carry concealed firearms may also do so in the State.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
    SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017”.

SEC. 2. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS.

(a) In General.—Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

Ҥ 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms
    “(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof (except as provided in subsection (b)) and subject only to the requirements of this section, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, who is carrying a valid identification document containing a photograph of the person, and who is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a concealed firearm in the State in which the person resides, may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State that—

“(1) has a statute under which residents of the State may apply for a license or permit to carry a concealed firearm; or

“(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

“(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that—

“(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

“(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

“(c) (1) A person who carries or possesses a concealed handgun in accordance with subsections (a) and (b) may not be arrested or otherwise detained for violation of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof related to the possession, transportation, or carrying of firearms unless there is probable cause to believe that the person is doing so in a manner not provided for by this section. Presentation of facially valid documents as specified in subsection (a) is prima facie evidence that the individual has a license or permit as required by this section.

“(2) When a person asserts this section as a defense in a criminal proceeding, the prosecution shall bear the burden of proving, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the conduct of the person did not satisfy the conditions set forth in subsections (a) and (b).

“(3) When a person successfully asserts this section as a defense in a criminal proceeding, the court shall award the prevailing defendant a reasonable attorney’s fee.

“(d) (1) A person who is deprived of any right, privilege, or immunity secured by this section, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage of any State or any political subdivision thereof, may bring an action in any appropriate court against any other person, including a State or political subdivision thereof, who causes the person to be subject to the deprivation, for damages or other appropriate relief.

“(2) The court shall award a plaintiff prevailing in an action brought under paragraph (1) damages and such other relief as the court deems appropriate, including a reasonable attorney’s fee.

“(e) In subsection (a):

“(1) The term ‘identification document’ means a document made or issued by or under the authority of the United States Government, a State, or a political subdivision of a State which, when completed with information concerning a particular individual, is of a type intended or commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of individuals.

“(2) The term ‘handgun’ includes any magazine for use in a handgun and any ammunition loaded into the handgun or its magazine.

“(f) (1) A person who possesses or carries a concealed handgun under subsection (a) shall not be subject to the prohibitions of section 922(q) with respect to that handgun.

“(2) A person possessing or carrying a concealed handgun in a State under subsection (a) may do so in any of the following areas in the State that are open to the public:

“(A) A unit of the National Park System.

“(B) A unit of the National Wildlife Refuge System.

“(C) Public land under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management.

“(D) Land administered and managed by the Army Corps of Engineers.

“(E) Land administered and managed by the Bureau of Reclamation.

“(F) Land administered and managed by the Forest Service.”.

(b) Clerical Amendment.—The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

“926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.”.
    (c) Severability.—Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, if any provision of this section, or any amendment made by this section, or the application of such provision or amendment to any person or circumstance is held to be unconstitutional, this section and amendments made by this section and the application of such provision or amendment to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby.

(d) Effective Date.—The amendments made by this section shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

SEC. 3. RULE OF CONSTRUCTION.

Nothing in this Act prohibits a law enforcement officer with reasonable suspicion of a violation of any law from conducting a brief investigative stop in accordance with the Constitution of the United States.

SEC. 4. CERTAIN OFF-DUTY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS AND RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS ALLOWED TO CARRY A CONCEALED FIREARM, AND DISCHARGE A FIREARM, IN A SCHOOL ZONE.

Section 922(q) of title 18, United States Code, is amended—

(1) in paragraph (2)(B)—

(A) by striking “or” at the end of clause (vi); and

(B) by redesignating clause (vii) as clause (ix) and inserting after clause (vi) the following:

“(vii) by an off-duty law enforcement officer who is a qualified law enforcement officer (as defined in section 926B) and is authorized under such section to carry a concealed firearm, if the firearm is concealed;

“(viii) by a qualified retired law enforcement officer (as defined in section 926C) who is authorized under such section to carry a concealed firearm, if the firearm is concealed; or”; and

(2) in paragraph (3)(B)—

(A) by striking “or” at the end of clause (iii);

(B) by striking the period at the end of clause (iv) and inserting a semicolon; and

(C) by adding at the end the following:

“(v) by an off-duty law enforcement officer who is a qualified law enforcement officer (as defined in section 926B) and is authorized under such section to carry a concealed firearm; or

“(vi) by a qualified retired law enforcement officer (as defined in section 926C) who is authorized under such section to carry a concealed firearm.”.

SEC. 5. INTERSTATE CARRYING OF FIREARMS BY FEDERAL JUDGES.

(a) In General.—Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, as amended by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended by inserting after section 926D the following:

Ҥ 926E. Interstate carrying of firearms by Federal judges

“Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, a Federal judge may carry a concealed firearm in any State if such judge is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.”.

(b) Clerical Amendment.—The table of sections for such chapter, as amended by section 2(b) of this Act, is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926D the following:

“926E. Interstate carrying of firearms by Federal judges.”.
    Last edited by fi103r; 12-06-2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added missing line from cut and paste
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    ALL of them should have voted NO on it. And they should have strung up whoever the idiot was that thought this should be a law.

This comes from a friend of mine:

National reciprocity legislation is built upon a permitting scheme that, itself, is unconstitutional if one takes the "bear" part of keep and bear literally. Those who wish to carry concealed (and in rarer cases, openly) have already long ago acquiesced and actively consented to that infringement in every state except for Vermont at one time or another. Now gun owners, led down the primrose path (again) by none other than the NRA, GOA and SAF (among other less significant .orgs), are wanting to trade what little is left of their Second Amendment privileges for the authority of government to nationalize, centralize and control concealed carry out of existence, but apparently most of them don't know that indisputable fact.
    Take what you can get, we may HAVE a Constitution but little of it is actually followed.

You go to court proclaiming your Constitutional Rights and they will throw you in jail anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanta View Post
    Take what you can get, we may HAVE a Constitution but little of it is actually followed.

You go to court proclaiming your Constitutional Rights and they will throw you in jail anyway.
    You are right. We have privileges these days instead of rights.
    The Constitution is just a piece of paper and the rule of law is dead.
    So let's all rejoice that our 'lawmakers' are still playing the game and giving us such a wonderful new LAW.

Fairfax, Va.—The National Rifle Association applauded the United States House of Representatives on Wednesday for passing the most far-reaching expansion of self-defense rights in modern American history. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 passed with bipartisan support in a 231-198 vote.

“This vote marks a watershed moment for Second Amendment rights,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director, National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action. “The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act is the culmination of a 30-year movement recognizing the right of all law-abiding Americans to defend themselves, and their loved ones, including when they cross state lines.”

The bill, H.R. 38, ensures that those Americans who can legally carry a concealed firearm in one state will legally be able to do so in every other state. It eliminates the confusing patchwork of state laws that have ensnared otherwise law-abiding gun owners, and have forced law enforcement to waste their precious time and resources enforcing laws that don’t do anything to reduce violent crime.

The bill also makes improvements to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, NICS. All Americans, including law-abiding gun owners, agree that violent criminals should not have legal access to firearms. However, the system is only as good as its records, and recent events have shown that sometimes the correct information is not entered into the system. This bill incentivizes states and government agencies to update the NICS with legitimate records of prohibited persons.

Additionally, the bill creates an expedited process for removing records that are erroneously put in the system. Currently, when a person discovers they have been wrongly added to the NICS, it can take up to a year to get their name removed. This bill requires a response to an appeal within 60 days.

“This bill ensures that all law-abiding citizens in our great country can protect themselves in the manner they see fit without accidentally running afoul of the law. We now call on the Senate to take up and pass this critical legislation,” Cox concluded.

The National Rifle Association would especially like to thank Rep. Richard Hudson, Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte, Speaker Paul Ryan, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, and Majority Whip Steve Scalise for their extraordinary efforts to pass this important legislation.​

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ry-reciprocity

thanx for posting this Monty - well past its time but FINALLY DONE
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

Dana Loesch is for it. She said all sorts of liberal fake news out there trying to freak out conservatives. She said go online and read the thing, don't listen to the news.
    "Good is better than evil, because it's nicer."

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Dana Loesch is for it. She said all sorts of liberal fake news out there trying to freak out conservatives. She said go online and read the thing, don't listen to the news.
    This^^^^^^
    Read the bill. There is no regulatory aspect to it. It is not national CCW. It just enforces state riciprocity.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

I'm hearing that the Feinsteins, from the Senate are wanting to throw on such language as outstanding parking tickets preventing you from buying a gun. We just don't know what the sleazy senate democraps have planned just yet. No bill gets through clean. Look for the dirty stuff sneaking through after the Senate gets a hold of it.
    Alabama - Independent Now and Forever - Noli Me Tangere

The Confederacy - Fighting Terrorism Since 1861

Quote Originally Posted by rhughe13 View Post
    I'm hearing that the Feinsteins, from the Senate are wanting to throw on such language as outstanding parking tickets preventing you from buying a gun. We just don't know what the sleazy senate democraps have planned just yet. No bill gets through clean. Look for the dirty stuff sneaking through after the Senate gets a hold of it.
    If you have a bench warrant for parking tickets, you are a fugitive from justice and my understanding is under the bill you should be reported to NICS. My local gun rights group says the claim is nonsense and Fix-NICS isn't a bad thing, GOA has come out fully against it. I don't believe NRA opposes it. Who knows what or who to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtshooter View Post
    This^^^^^^
    Read the bill. There is no regulatory aspect to it. It is not national CCW. It just enforces state riciprocity.
    So where does one find the FULL VERSION of 38, WITH the merged bill from "fix-nics" all together. I READ the ORIGINAL 38 and agree the ORIGINAL 38 was PURELY reciprocity targeted. It's the FULL VERSION I haven't seen.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    So where does one find the FULL VERSION of 38, WITH the merged bill from "fix-nics" all together. I READ the ORIGINAL 38 and agree the ORIGINAL 38 was PURELY reciprocity targeted. It's the FULL VERSION I haven't seen.
    I know the date at the top says Dec 1 but this appears to have the Fix NICS language merged in.
    http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/...-RCP115-45.pdf

37. I heard the SAF or some sister group submitted suggestions for four "Fix the Fix NICS" amendments, but it doesn't look like they went anywhere. From what I hear, there is a version in the Senate that looks much better, if it has a prayer of passing.

Latest from GOA...I'm so confused

The Gun Owners of America issued a statement last night regarding H.R. 38. Again, the organization is very critical of the Fix NICS portion of the bill, which was combined in the House with national reciprocity.

Here’s their statement:

Executive Director of Gun Owners of America (GOA) Erich Pratt made the following statement after the House of Representatives passed H.R. 38, which is now the carry reciprocity and background check bill:

“While Gun Owners of America appreciates the House of Representatives for passing Constitutional Carry-friendly reciprocity, GOA continues to vehemently warn congressmen about the dangers of the ‘NICS Fix’ provision, which can also be referred to as the ‘Parking Ticket Gun Ban.’

“Hopefully, the passage of the reciprocity language in the House will serve to kill the background check language in the Senate. As recently as this week, Democrat Senator Chris Murphy said that such a combined bill would be dead on arrival in the Senate because he and fellow Democrats consider reciprocity a poison pill.

“Passing a stand-alone reciprocity bill will restore concealed carry rights and save lives. Gun owners should not see their right to protect themselves end at their state lines.

“So GOA will continue to rally our 1.5 million grassroots supporters to kill the ‘NICS Fix’ language and to pass a clean, Constitutional Carry-friendly reciprocity bill in the Senate, such as S. 446.”

To read GOA’s analysis of the current political battlefield facing gun owners, please see here.

Now, in GOA’s analysis linked to in the statement above, they do make some excellent points worth considering.

First, it’s entirely likely that there simply aren’t enough votes in the Senate. This is entirely true, and I believe part of the logic behind combining the two bills together was to try and use Fix NICS to leverage Senate Democrats into voting for the bill. However, many anti-gun Democrats are willing to vote against Fix NICS in this case.

In other words, by combining the two bills, the House may have ensured that neither passes.

However, if you oppose Fix NICS as a general thing, and you know national reciprocity won’t happen in the Senate, then it’s not a bad move combining the two. Sen Chris Murphy, a significant anti-gun legislator, referred to national reciprocity as a poison pill, and he’s not wrong. By combining the two bills, you make it impossible for gun grabbers in the Senate to skate out of either voting for pro-gun regulations, or voting against a bill that’s arguably gun control.

Talk about a win/win.

There’s no argument that the Senate will be a tough challenge for national reciprocity. I have a less pessimistic view of the Fix NICS bill than the GOA, so I remain hopeful that the bill will be voted on and pass through the Senate, though I’d much rather have seen the bills remain separate. However, I do appreciate the awkward position this puts people like Murphy and Dianne Feinstein in, and it makes me giggle just a little bit.

OK, who am I kidding? It makes me laugh. A lot.

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2017/1...passing-house/

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ng-in-congress

FACT CHECK: Rep. Thomas Massie Spreading Misinformation About Comprehensive Self-Defense Legislation Pending in Congress
    TUESDAY, DECEMBER 5, 2017

FACT CHECK: Rep. Thomas Massie Spreading Misinformation About Comprehensive Self-Defense Legislation Pending in Congress

In a recent Facebook Post, Congressman Thomas Massie (KY-4) included several inaccurate statements about H.R. 4477, the Fix-NICS bill. Below are some facts to set the record straight:

CLAIM: “The bill will also advance former President Obama’s agenda of pressuring every branch of the administration (such as the Veteran’s Administration) to submit thousands of more names to the NICS background check database to deny gun purchases.”

FACT: The bill requires that federal agencies submit the names of anyone who is already prohibited by law from possessing a firearm to the NICS background check database. This differs from former President Obama’s efforts, in which he attempted to administratively create new categories of individuals who were prohibited from possessing a firearm. H.R. 4477, by contrast, is aimed squarely at individuals like the perpetrator of the recent murders in Texas, who should have been reported to NICS because of his disqualifying criminal history.

CLAIM: “The bill is being rammed through, without a hearing, in a very nontransparent process, and it will be passed by attaching it to the popular concealed carry reciprocity bill which already has enough votes to pass on its own.”

FACT: The bill went through a very thorough and public markup session of its own. And like the concealed carry reciprocity bill, the Fix NICS bill would also have enough votes to pass on its own.

CLAIM: “It spends over half a billion dollars to collect more names to include in a list of people who will never be allowed to own a firearm.”

FACT: The bill incentivizes states to transmit the records of individuals who, under current law, are already prohibited from possessing a firearm. It does not create new categories of restriction.

CLAIM: “It compels administrative agencies, not just courts, to adjudicate your second amendment rights.”

FACT: Since 1994, administrative agencies have been required to report individuals who are prohibited under current law from possessing a firearm to NICS. Fix-NICS merely adds additional layers of transparency and accountability to the process, as a well as a new 60-day deadline for the government to resolve claims of records that have been erroneously included in NICS.