Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HELP battery tender question
+ Reply to Thread

battery tender question

I need to call a mechanix consult . . .

I have an older – like late 90's older - (allegedly) "fully automatic" battery tender (1.25 amp) hooked to a sealed lead acid battery in a kubota tractor sitting in the barn.

My understanding is that a flooded battery on a maintainer like this should be checked every two weeks.

So here's the question: given that this is a "SEALED" battery and the battery tender is (allegedly) "fully automatic" – is it OK to hook it up and fageddaboudit – or do I need to unhook when it's warm and re hook when it turns KOLD again?

Thanx gang
    signed mechanically incompetent
    RM
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

I leave mine on all the time.

You should be fine. "Trickle" chargers are typically 2 amp or so and you are just about half of that! You ain't cookin' it!

A Battery Tender isn’t just a trickle charger. It has built-in sensing circuitry to stop charging when the battery is at the correct voltage. You can leave it on essentially forever.

When I worked at Johnson Controls.....which makes a very large percentage of the batteries sold in the US....a senior engineer told me to put the sealed batteries on a timer....that they didn’t like the 24/7 trickle charge....he told me no more than 1.5 hours a day

BTW - my lastest tractor and 4-wheeler batteries have lasted over 7 years. I haven’t replaced them since I started the timer program

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    A Battery Tender isn’t just a trickle charger. It has built-in sensing circuitry to stop charging when the battery is at the correct voltage. You can leave it on essentially forever.
    To follow up with my last post....he said you needed to let the voltage drop at least .3 volts on sealed batteries and trickle chargers only allowed .1 or .2 volt difference

Check the specs for the “Super Smart Battery Tender”.

Check the specs for the “Super Smart Battery Tender”.
    Are you talking about the Deltran unit that is labeled under a number of different motorcycle and motorboat engine manufacturers?

Yes

Yes
    That’s a pretty good unit. It uses a lower voltage to maintain verses a topped off voltage like other brands. However I’m told the timer with either a topped off voltage or a reduced voltage is a better solution. Who knows??

It’s worked for me for almost a decade. Got this advice from a man who developed the Optima battery.

I have one on a glass mat motorcycle battery. With it, the batt lasted 5 years; without it, 18 months.

Most battery tenders today are automatic chargers that taper the charge as it nears full charge and then shuts off at .5 or 1/2 ampere charge rate and go's into standby float mode. It will not kick back on until the battery gets down to 10% or 15% discharge of full charge.

Trickle charge is a wrong method to keep lead/acid batteries charged and the lead acid battery maintainers are indeed float chargers.
    Constant voltage (float voltage) is what they provide. I like chargers that supply some real charge current and switch to float when the voltage has been reached.
    Battery technology (AGM, gelled, conventional) construction is somewhat tricky with regard to recommended float voltage levels. (Mfg. recommends...)
    In addition, the voltage levels are temperature sensitive, so good chargers /maintainers have temperature tracking.
    A float-level-maintained charge does not need to be interrupted.

With regard to technology, gelled cells are never "equalized."

Battery Tender is a brand name, not a generic term for any small battery charger. There is a lot of difference.

The Delton units seem over priced for their capability. The Schumacher Ship and shore has more capability for about the same $.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

Also, the Deltran units in recent years have had significant quality control issues. I’ve been looking for a competent replacement but hadn’t found anything. I’ll go research the Schumacher unit.

Thanks!

thanx for the input - i'll continue to track the thread - I like the timer idea
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

I use Minn-Kota or Guest marine grade mountable chargers on generators.

They are permanently wired in to the electrical system.

The only ones that seem to last a few years.

I keep a Battery minder running in the shop for rehabbing batteries that have been totally discharged for some time.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable