Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GUNS/RLTD Remington Announces New Line of 870 Box Magazine-Fed Shotguns
+ Reply to Thread

Remington Announces New Line of 870 Box Magazine-Fed Shotguns

Photos at the link ...

I'd rather have had it in an 11-87 semiauto ..........
    =========================

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-fed-shotguns/

Remington Announces New Line of 870 DM Magazine-Fed Shotguns
    by Dan Zimmerman |
    Dec 04, 2017 |

img from http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...HDWD_right.jpg

Quick…when you think of a pump shotgun, what’s the first one that comes to mind? It’s probably the venerable Remington 870. And for good reason. There aren’t many more versatile, affordable pump guns sold…perfect for use in roles from home defense to hunting to breaking clays to SHTF scenarios (read our review here). Now Big Green has taken the classic 870 design and given it a capacity upgrade.

Their new line of magazine-fed 870 DM (detachable magazine, in case you couldn’t decipher that) ships with a single six-round mag giving you seven rounds of quickly re-loadable, heavy hitting firepower — pretty handy to have in a home defense scattergun. And they’re making the DM’s in five different flavors . . .
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Remington copy of the chicom 870 copy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTX1XEK99k&app=desktop
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Oh the gun grabbers are going to have a fit over this! An assault shotgun with unlimited high capacity mags.
    Yeah right hand them a 100 rounds of boxed up shotgun shells and tell then they have to walk around carrying them for the next two hours.

More photos here, too...
    ======================

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-fed-shotguns/

TFB Review: New Remington 870 DM Magazine Fed*Shotguns

Posted 1 min ago in Defense, Guns & Gear, Other Gear & Gadgets, Reviews, Shotguns by Phil White with 41 Comments
    Tags: 12 ga, Magazine-Fed, Remington 870 DM, shotgun

You’ve heard the old saying “everything old is new again”. Well, that applies to the tried and true Remington 870 shotgun. The 870 is probably the most popular police shotgun ever. Remington has given the 870 a facelift with several new magazine fed models which would serve just about any shotgunners needs.

The recently released TAC14 will also be available in the magazine fed version. Each magazine holds six rounds of 12 gauge ammo in 2 3/4 as well as 3-inch shells.

Before going into the other models’ let’s talk about the version I was sent for testing. The version in the photos is the Remington 870 DM Magpul. This version comes with all Magpul furniture including the Magpul SGA stock with the Super Cell recoil pad. Magpul MOE M-Lok forend, 18.5 inch Rem Choke barrel with extended ported tactical choke, XS steel front sight with white dot as well as an XS Tactical Rail with a ghost ring rear sight (adjustable). Each 870DM Magpul shotgun comes with a choke tool so the user can remove the tactical choke and replace it with a choke of your choice. The MSRP for the Magpul model is $799.00. The Magpul model will be available shortly while the other models will be released over the next few months. Each shotgun comes with one magazine.

The design incorporates a magwell to feed the desired ammunition from the six round magazine. The magazine tubes only purpose is to mount the charging forend. The tube itself is hollow. The magazine comes with a bright orange follower which is very easily seen in low light.The magazine release is a steel large paddle which sits just in front of the magazine. Removing a magazine is easy with the user just grasping the mag and mag release paddle pulling the magazine from the magwell. Reloading is like an AR. The shooter inserts the magazine then slaps it straight up where it positively latches in place.

The main advantage of a magazine fed 870 is fast reloading since ammunition capacity is about the same as a regular 870 with a magazine extension tube. It also has the advantage of being easy to insert a magazine in low or no light as compared to loading one round at a time with a conventional shotgun.

All of my shooting on the range was done with Remington 2 3/4 Ultimate Defense Managed Recoil 00 Buck which contains 8 pellets. I fired a total of 25 boxes of 5 rounds per box in this ammunition. Feeding was very smooth and similar to a conventional shotgun feel. With the very nice Magpul buttstock recoil was much softer than using a standard buttstock. The Managed Recoil shells also contributed to less recoil and getting back on target quickly. Pellet velocity was 1200 FPS. The shotgun was very manageable with the Magpul buttstock and reduced recoil shells. This would be a good combination for home defence as well as ideal for someone of small stature or a person who is just recoil sensitive. During my range sessions, I experienced no malfunctions of any kind. Since I had two magazines I carried the spare in a .308 taco mag pouch which fit just fine. Reloading was certainly much faster using magazines.

Loading the magazines was a bit different than I expected. Shells are fed by pushing each shell straight down between the rear feed lips rather than depressing the follower with the brass rear of the shell and pushing the shell back to the rear of the magazine. Trying to load in that manner just doesn’t work. Not a big deal by any means just not what I expected.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto

It's a shame they're made by Remington.

A solution in search of a problem?

A much worse form factor for little to no capacity gain?

Very strange choice........

Dominion is a Canadian thing, eh?

It would be classified as an SBS - short barreled shotgun - in the FUSA and subject to ATF registration plus a $200 tax stamp.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...agfed-shotgun/

.... and the old (now redundant?) magazine tube could be used for storing:

Chiclets, Necco Wafers, Fruit Rollups and any number of items handy to have in a close up fire fight.

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post

The Chinese and the Turks are selling boatloads of 870 clones that are box fed, Remington just want a slice of that pie

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Dominion is a Canadian thing, eh?

It would be classified as an SBS - short barreled shotgun - in the FUSA and subject to ATF registration plus a $200 tax stamp.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...agfed-shotgun/
    Yeah those crazy Canucks like their short barrels, they also do 18.5", 20" & 24"
    they also sell them in Europe under the Hawk brand name or sometimes as straight Norinco

It would make it faster to load, if you had mags all set up already. There is that.
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

The MSRP for the Magpul model is $799.00.
    C'mon, are they serious?
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by TheSearcher View Post
    It would make it faster to load, if you had mags all set up already. There is that.
    Yes but shotgun mags are very bulky for capacity. To each his own, but I don't see the draw

But I do like the looks of the tac-14. I would go with the mossberg shockwave 20 gauge.

Yes but shotgun mags are very bulky for capacity. To each his own, but I don't see the draw
    I don't either.

BTW - Leaving plastic hulled shotgun shells in a fully compressed box magazine for an extended period of time can result in deformation of the shells and the resultant risk of feeding problems.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

But I do like the looks of the tac-14. I would go with the mossberg shockwave 20 gauge.
    Agreed, I think it's a preference thing. I can see the draw, if reloading speed is something really important to someone, but I don't know that it's personally so for me.

Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

Quote Originally Posted by TheSearcher View Post
    When I was a kid, reckon it must have been early to mid 80's, I was reading a copy of guns n ammo my grandad had given me and it had an article about the Colt SAW, a 12g box fed semi-auto (might have been F/A can't remember) AR style shotgun, long carry handle on the receiver, with a white sight line running down it with a brass bead at the end, this was long before the Saiga 12 or the Turkish AR pattern guns,
    SAW stood for Special Assault Weapon or something like that and was intended for US Marine embassy guards, it went into long detail about the Beruit Embassy and the Saigon Embassy and the lessons learnt from them.

Never could find any mention of it on the internet, I was hoping "Forgotten Weapons" wouod have had something but no,

If anybody ever finds any info or better yet a video be sure to post it

Give it a few months and someone will start producing higher capacity magazines for it and you know there will be at lest one drum mag that can hold a full box of shells.

Box mags are a lot faster reload, but also impose their own limits in on-the-fly changing the load in the chamber.

So you load a mag or two with slugs in case you need to switch. That'll work, but your drill is drop the mag that's in the gun, load the mag full of slugs, remember to run the bolt, and your select-slug drill is done.

Old fashioned shotgunner just slips a slug into the tube, runs the bolt and a slug is up ready to go.

Old dogs, new tricks, I know. IF you know what you'll be shooting every time, then box mags are a deal. If you run a shotgun because things change and a traditional tube fed shotgun lets you switch loads faster in spite of the fact that you have to learn to feed the puppy on the run, you won't like box mags. But fishing lures are made more to catch fisherman than fish....

But it's a new deal, it's Remington on the rocks and it was a development that is of note IMO. Typical of today's environment that it would be introduced in a pumpgun not a semiauto.

Box mags are a lot faster reload, but also impose their own limits in on-the-fly changing the load in the chamber.

So you load a mag or two with slugs in case you need to switch. That'll work, but your drill is drop the mag that's in the gun, load the mag full of slugs, remember to run the bolt, and your select-slug drill is done.

Old fashioned shotgunner just slips a slug into the tube, runs the bolt and a slug is up ready to go.

Old dogs, new tricks, I know. IF you know what you'll be shooting every time, then box mags are a deal. If you run a shotgun because things change and a traditional tube fed shotgun lets you switch loads faster in spite of the fact that you have to learn to feed the puppy on the run, you won't like box mags. But fishing lures are made more to catch fisherman than fish....

But it's a new deal, it's Remington on the rocks and it was a development that is of note IMO. Typical of today's environment that it would be introduced in a pumpgun not a semiauto.
    What about a magazine cut off button like on the Supernova or the Spas12, might be a handy addition for Remington

Colt SAW, a 12g box fed semi-auto (might have been F/A can't remember) AR style shotgun

Not Colt.

Atchisson. As in AA-12.

At least that's what I think you have in mind.

Here's the 1972 prototype-

And the production version -

That it?

I shoot the 3.5 inch howitzer loads, out of my Remington Tactical 870,
    express super magnum. They do hurt, after just a few shells,
    but it is nice to be able to put 18, of the 30 caliber balls down range.

I have a Nordic Components 8 shell magazine extension,
    and a six shot side saddle, so the shotgun load out
    is 15 shells.

Does this new 870, come in the express super magnum?

Please be safe everyone, and please arm up.

Regards to all deplorables.
    Nowski
    "Read everything, listen to everyone, believe absolutely nothing,
    unless you can prove it with your own research." Milton William Cooper

"Life is a glass, half empty, of spoiled milk, sitting in a bed of thorns." Nowski

The main advantage of a magazine fed 870 is fast reloading since ammunition capacity is about the same as a regular 870 with a magazine extension tube. It also has the advantage of being easy to insert a magazine in low or no light as compared to loading one round at a time with a conventional shotgun.
    They need to work on their shotgun loading technique.

The biggest advantage I can see is larger capacity in the shotgun while retaining a shorter barrel.
    As Dozdoats pointed out, once you starting using more than 1 type of shotgun shell, the magazine advantage effectively goes away.
    I guess they could do like I do: if in doubt, fill it up with slugs then refill early and often.

Colt SAW, a 12g box fed semi-auto (might have been F/A can't remember) AR style shotgun

Not Colt.

Atchisson. As in AA-12.

At least that's what I think you have in mind.

Here's the 1972 prototype-

And the production version -

That it?
    Nope not the one, this had a full length carry handle, imagine an AR with full stock, a carry handle that ran the length of the receiver upto a mid-length forearm, normal AR grip, a straight box mag and bird cage flash hider,

This was definitely a Colt

870 DM Tac-14 (81348)

6 Round Detachable Magazine
    Shockwave Grip and Magpul Fore-end
    14 Inch Cylinder Bore barrel
    Bead Sight
    MSRP – $559

Eventually someone's going to ruin this thread with the question; "What's it good for?"

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe's Daddy View Post
    Eventually someone's going to ruin this thread with the question; "What's it good for?"
    Well, it's good for putting a whole lot of buckshot down range. And I mean a WHOLE LOT. Like entire rampaging horde of urban yoots whole lot. And you'd better have at least forty in that horde or you'll be shooting into the buildings beyond.

When you absolutely positively need to turn a street gang into pudding, accept no substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Well, it's good for putting a whole lot of buckshot down range. And I mean a WHOLE LOT. Like entire rampaging horde of urban yoots whole lot. And you'd better have at least forty in that horde or you'll be shooting into the buildings beyond.

When you absolutely positively need to turn a street gang into pudding, accept no substitutes.
    LOL.

Thinking much the same thing. You could make the argument that with extra magazines reloading would be faster, but with practice it's easy to keep an 870 topped off by adding rounds in the tube.

Of course, the real reason behind the offering is what the consumers want. If market research shows that everyone already has a tube fed shotgun, but a lot of people are buying magazine fed ones, well then, it's time to start selling 'em.

Banned in NY in 5,4,3,2...
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

I had a saiga for a while. As mentioned earlier, the cases deformed from the spring pressure and would not feed. Made for a lousy pick it up and shoot it now gun...... I got rid of it for that very reason. I like the bull pup design with ten rounds, like to get one of those. Seems like it's the best answer for high capacity rounds and reliability. But I don't know that for sure.

This was definitely a Colt

Hmmm. I know Colt made revolving black powder shotguns early along (which reportedly had a disturbing tendency to 'flash over' and remove the shooter's support hand. There were double barrel shotguns both hammer and hammerless. There were some sporting repeaters later under the Colt banner.

But I don't recall hearing about so much as a prototype Colt fighting shotgun, though my memory is no more trustworthy than anyone else's. My usual reference

is packed up still so I can't refer to it.

So - ya got me on that one, I don't recall ever seeing it or any reference to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHJA3iXelRs

then there us this run time 5 min

Rather have it in a 11 87, but as I have the 12 gauge sagia I really don't worry about it, perhaps it will arm up more freemen when gobt and their minions run amok.
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

It looks like it’s basically an add-on mag well, no actual modifications to the receiver, just pull the trigger group pins and install it with the longer bolts like a shell carrier. Is the 11-87 receiver and mag tube set up different for a 11-87? I have an 870 but I’m not familiar with the 11-87. Could this be swapped over to an 11-87 receiver?

About the only real advantage I could see with this is with a short barreled shotgun to increase the available ammo.
    Save us, O Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen

I stand corrected, youíll have to drill a hole through the forward side of the receiver, so it would take a modification. But looking at an 11-87 just now it looks like it would fit if you wanted to drill a hole in your receiver.
    Save us, O Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen

Quote Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
    Thinking much the same thing. You could make the argument that with extra magazines reloading would be faster, but with practice it's easy to keep an 870 topped off by adding rounds in the tube.

Of course, the real reason behind the offering is what the consumers want. If market research shows that everyone already has a tube fed shotgun, but a lot of people are buying magazine fed ones, well then, it's time to start selling 'em.
    Topping off a tube mag may be easy, but you still have the problem of carrying extra ammo and having to handle it individually.

With detachable mags, you don't have to handle every round while shooting, and it's contained in a convenient manner for transport rather than being crammed in a pocket.

Concur, 100%, smith357... This ain't gonna keep Remington's boat, afloat... Aflame, goin' down, and sinkin' fast...

OA
    "Make haste- slowly." -Marshall Wyatt Earp============ "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." -Kyle Swanson, US Navy SEAL

Proud Founding Member of the Nowski Brigade

Condition "0," Code Red to Black- ALWAYS!

In WV you can't carry a loaded shotgun in a vehicle but an unloaded shotgun and 3-4 loaded mags, no problem at all. Inserting a mag and clambering a shell would be a lot quicker than filling the tube if you needed to deploy quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post

yep this
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS
    LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt