Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GUNS/RLTD Why Glock Dominates the Handgun Market (And Better than Sig Sauer and Beretta)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I will never part ways with my Glock 9mms. I occasionally use others, have tried most, but the Glock will most likely always be the core of my self defense handgun collection. There is nothing unsafe about a Glock in the hands of the properly trained. In hands that are not properly trained, nothing is safe. If you don't like Glocks, that fine, there are tons of other good choices out there and I won't argue with you about picking something else but those expressing irrational hatred for the Glock platform are just exposing their ignorance.

Currently I'm enjoying trying out a Beretta APX, love my Shield 9mm and am looking forward to trying out one of the new M&P 2.0 pistols.

I have 1911's, I have Glocks - 19, 17, 21, and BHP's. I love 1911, and I like Glocks. But, for a 9mm, I love the BHP. The most carried is the 19. When I am bush hogging, cutting firewood, etc that is what is in the holster. I will not subject a blue steel to that kind of environment. YMMV

I have 1911's. I like them, have only had one failure in 5000+ rounds. Corrected by throwing away a $2 magazine. If some one likes Glocks, that's fine. I like the 1911 because it fits my hand, the ergonomics are good, The single action trigger is exquisite, It is accurate and I hit what I want to. Shooting a handgun well is difficult enough. Why handicap yourself overcoming shortcomings of the firearm.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

Some great responses here, affirming at that.

I carry "THE DELTA TEAM CHOICE", yes, my everyday carry is a Glock 22 in .40 cal. I'm a big guy and can conceal a bit more, naturally. I liked to shoot my 1911's, but they were just a bit too much on the hip and the belt stress on the body. Very uncomfortable. But I wanted the firepower, and ended up with that .40. Slightly shorter, but noticeably thinner and lighter. Thirteen round mags. What's not to like in that trade. I bought a couple (.40-.45) of those Alien inside the pant holsters a couple months ago, like it. My old one's kydex had cracked and it was black duct taped together. In reality the belt still held it securely. Sentimental attachment gave it a very long life.

I carry unchambered! Stop, listen, I am with grandkids all day and my pistol spends a lot of time on my end table. None of the kids are strong enough or knowledgable enough to chamber. I have to leave my gun in the car as I go to hospitals and a nursing home quite often. In church I am around eighty kids, and the entire congregation twice a week. I will never have an accidental discharge due to one being in the chamber. There is value to this reality.

I practice chambering rounds quickly, with my hand, or anything that will hold the slide in the one hand process. I've decided that the gun is harmless to anyone in it's vacinity, but lethal in my hands within a split second. I'd rather error on the side of safety and avoid an accidental discharge. I've carried for many years, never used it, and kept my exposure to a minimum by going unchambered. If I ever need it, I hope a split second doesn't cost anyone there life, let alone mine.

No real issues with the safety on the trigger, or the long slack in the trigger. Shoot it enough and one knows the back end well. I will admit I've read enough articles on accidental discharges in the holster area to take great care when I reholster anytime I'm shooting. I have no problem carrying a chambered gun in the holster, but for my situation, it's best to just be vigilant and see them first if possible. A few times over the years my spidey senses have caused me to chamber and as noted, much emphasis on situational awareness these days.

Like my Glock, want to put a reflex site on it. Any thoughts.

Take a look at https://dueckdefense.com/shop/firear...ight-base-rbu/

Or https://www.military.com/daily-news/...dot-mount.html

There are a variety of no-machining needed mounts out there these days....
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I will never part ways with my Glock 9mms. I occasionally use others, have tried most, but the Glock will most likely always be the core of my self defense handgun collection. There is nothing unsafe about a Glock in the hands of the properly trained. In hands that are not properly trained, nothing is safe. If you don't like Glocks, that fine, there are tons of other good choices out there and I won't argue with you about picking something else but those expressing irrational hatred for the Glock platform are just exposing their ignorance.

Currently I'm enjoying trying out a Beretta APX, love my Shield 9mm and am looking forward to trying out one of the new M&P 2.0 pistols.
    Trust me you're going to like the 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Take a look at https://dueckdefense.com/shop/firear...ight-base-rbu/

Or https://www.military.com/daily-news/...dot-mount.html

There are a variety of no-machining needed mounts out there these days....
    The guys over at In Range TV have recently started working with and doing videos of using red dots on their EDC/competition Glocks.

I have carried in my life Glocks, Sigs, 1911s, Berettas, Walthers, Stars (the PD and models 29/30), Rugers, S&Ws, Brownings and wheel guns of all sorts. They all have a place, if you are a one gun man fine, if you believe in fitting the tool to the task fine, variety makes the world go round.

I've known people I would have been comfortable clearing buildings with if all they had was a Walther THP or Beretta model 70. The important thing is get a pistol or a system of pistols/revolvers learn them, get some training and become more dangerous to the other guy than to yourself. Arguments discussions like this are fun because they are amongst friends but they can quickly turn into nothing more than mental masturbation unless you are careful.
    All love is unrequited-Cmdr. Susan Ivanova //Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave. - Capt. Mal remember boys and girls ATFTRAF

Price point, reliability, drop in replacement parts, large aftermarket system supports, handy size in Compact and Sub-Compact, light weight in all three versions. Does not become too hot to grasp in extended use.

From back up duty weapon, to hog hunting with BAC type sight assisting, ‘The Glock’ lineup has you covered. With a magazine proliferation that has found it’s way into the design of competitors light folding carbines; weapon pairing and force projection is squared with one magazine caliber.

It’s been almost 24 years since I 4473‘ed my H&K P-7 single stack 9mm. A very safe and ready unorthodox design. I missed the P-7’s Compact rugged design and reliability.

In the 1990’s I handled the Glock at a gun shop. WTH? A Mattel Toy Pistol with a trigger that looks like a caulking gun, and feels like a plastic bolt-rubber cupped dart gun that I used to shoot against the crayoned X ring on the side of mom’s refrigerator in the 60’s?

Having been a carpenter in my youth I learned to interface with many tools. Why should the Glock be any different? With a trigger that looks like a caulking gun, and breaks like a staple gun, I’m in! So far I’ve changed sights, captured guide rod, and after some range time at 5.5 pounds, ‘may’ opt to go lighter.

No more X rings for me. A purpose-driven-by-design shooting style must also evolve.

I'd as soon not post an inventory of the gun safe, but I have experimented with lots of handguns through the years and have carried several makes/models for protracted periods. I'm no fanboi and it matters not to me what anyone else prefers to shoot or carry- name it and I've probably been outshot in competition and gun skool by someone carrying one.

First rule of gunfighting is, have a gun. And that gun will likely be a handgun. Get a good one and get good with it. That's about as far as I am willing to go.

I treasure the WW2 bringback Luger from my ETO dogface uncle, my dad's 5" 5 screw S&W Model 10, my Jim Funk customized commercial 1951 Colt 1911 (the original owner kept it under a car seat and let it rust on one side, it looks better now parkerized). Those aren't carry guns though. I usually buy carry guns two or three at the time, on sale . Or add another later - between us, DW and I have 5 Glock 19s. Carry guns are tools, not treasures.

YMMV of course.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

1911's first, then high capacity Sig226's had been mainstay since 80's, however carrying again
    .45's more now with XDm's 13 rd mags, both always loaded up with Win Ranger LE +P.

For both, been really liking my new Meprolight FT green bulls eye rear sights...

Took off front sights on both pistols, too. Less to get hung up on when quick drawing anymore.

- Shane

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT NUCLEAR DESTRUCTION!
    WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT!
    When An ill Wind Blows From Afar! (Overseas Fallout)

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Taking off the front sight? I'd remove the rear sight before the front. At least that'd leave the rear of the slide for reference. I use kydex holsters so there is nothing for the front sight to drag against during the draw.

How is the accuracy at 30 yards or so?

EDIT: I normally have a fully black rear sight with a fiber front for mostly daylight/match use. For carry, I have the standard 3 tritium dot sights (and nothing else, no white outlines).

Quote Originally Posted by 1911user View Post
    Taking off the front sight? I'd remove the rear sight before the front. At least that'd leave the rear of the slide for reference. I use kydex holsters so there is nothing for the front sight to drag against during the draw.

How is the accuracy at 30 yards or so?
    I'm liking it better than my iron sights, but tight groups beyond 25 yds is tough.

Not required, but I'm also trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open.

Some videos of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_5wc6WQCdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9mCK3hV1gE

- Shane

Well, John Wayne in 'The Shootist' took off both sites.

I always have shot with both open as well tho now I CSS out of the right eyes, really hampers my duel draw and I have to Guesstimate with the right gun.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is it's last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury, not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take... inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    1911's first, then high capacity Sig226's had been mainstay since 80's, however carrying again
    .45's more now with XDm's 13 rd mags, both always loaded up with Win Ranger LE +P.

For both, been really liking my new Meprolight FT green bulls eye rear sights...

Took off front sights on both pistols, too. Less to get hung up on when quick drawing anymore.

- Shane
    Hummm... Kind of reminds me of the sights on the old ASP.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...541680/asp.jpg

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.ne...ear_sights.jpg
    Last edited by Housecarl; 12-06-2017 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added images of ASP pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    I'd as soon not post an inventory of the gun safe, but I have experimented with lots of handguns through the years and have carried several makes/models for protracted periods. I'm no fanboi and it matters not to me what anyone else prefers to shoot or carry- name it and I've probably been outshot in competition and gun skool by someone carrying one.

First rule of gunfighting is, have a gun. And that gun will likely be a handgun. Get a good one and get good with it. That's about as far as I am willing to go.

I treasure the WW2 bringback Luger from my ETO dogface uncle, my dad's 5" 5 screw S&W Model 10, my Jim Funk customized commercial 1951 Colt 1911 (the original owner kept it under a car seat and let it rust on one side, it looks better now parkerized). Those aren't carry guns though. I usually buy carry guns two or three at the time, on sale . Or add another later - between us, DW and I have 5 Glock 19s. Carry guns are tools, not treasures.

YMMV of course.

I hear ya about advertising what got , I've been carrying since I was old enough to have a permit, and have been a trader of guns till I found what works for me. With me it's like the song that goes "to all the women I've loved before,but I have really trimmed down by passing guns on to my son and the nephew. I want to save them the drama of splitting up my gear after I'm gone. I have taught both to appreciate firearms as tools first and things you can get attached to second. They working things you need to be ready to have go into the evidence locker for several years so you never carry the BBQ gun except to BBQs. You carry the serious fighting hardware for fighting.
    All love is unrequited-Cmdr. Susan Ivanova //Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave. - Capt. Mal remember boys and girls ATFTRAF

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Second, a 1911 is a much better built (as in, can take abuse and still function) thatís a Glock EVER WILL BE
    That might have been true of the war time 1911's, the taking abuse and still functioning part, but there were also complaints of those 1911s being not very accurate. Much of it comes down to the barrel/bushing fit. You want it tight enough for good accuracy but if it's too tight reliability suffers.

A shooting buddy attended a Rob Pincus class carrying a Kimber that he had put a lot of rounds through. (Kimbers are famous for not working right out of the box). Pincus said not one 1911 had made it through his class without a malfunction and they made a small side bet. My buddy's stovepipe came halfway through the second day.

Anyway, modern 1911s have a wide variation in reliability. If I remember right the MARSOC Colt 1911s had a lot of problems, which is why they went to Glocks.

I fell into Glocks when my 1911 broke. Can all of you 1911 guys fit and tune an extractor? Got an extra one standing by?

I don't think Glocks are the best pistols made. I think the whole pointaibility thing is a myth and its more about muscle memory. Stock Glock sights suck, say that three times

For me Glocks are reliable, accurate enough to win 80% of the last man standing competitions with my buddies , and so easy to work on I can completely disassemble down to the last part and have it back together again in probably 15 minutes. And I have replacement parts on hand that don't require fitting.

At this point in my life I'm not chasing after the next great pistol. It's Gen 3 Glocks, stacked deep, with spare parts on hand.
    Was known as dairyfarmer but sold the cows.

Maybe it’s because I have a Gold Cup, but I’ve never had a jam or f2f. Not once.

As far as “range” goes, statistically, most gunfights with pistols are at a distance of less than about 12 feet IIRC. so accuracy at 25 yards wouldn’t really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Maybe itís because I have a Gold Cup, but Iíve never had a jam or f2f. Not once.
    Yes, but how many rounds and under what conditions?

I'm closing in on 50,000 rounds in my Glock 34 (I can track that by the 5,000 count boxes of primers I've been through). I can count on one hand the number of stovepipes I've had, they're actually burned into my memory because they always come at the worst possible time. When they happened I knew it was past the time that the gun should have been cleaned . I've had many more primer failures, caused by either a dirty gun or more likely when a high primer gets by me in the reloading process.

I've used Rugers, S&W's, Colt and Glock. I think Glock handguns are excellent carry pieces and use one every day. Like wise for the older model Smith autos, one of which I also carry or have within reach pretty much at all times. Ruger has always made excellent target .22's but I've never cared for their large bore autos. And Colt. . .for a while Colt was charging you more for the name than the quality. From what I hear that has changed of late, but Colt simply doesn't rate the high price tag. I've owned more than one, and while they aren't bad, they aren't worth taking out a mortgage for. If I want to spend that kind of $$$ I'll get a Kimber, lol. Which I'm also too conservative to buy

Bad
    Follow me to http://badkarma00.wordpress.com/ for all my craziness
    So say we all. . . .
    "If you value your lives, be somewhere else." Ambassador Delenn.

Jackpine Savage- You are completely correct. Going to a range and shooting 100-200 rounds of ammunition at a target without malfunction does not make it reliable. If one wants a true test of their equipment, enroll in a firearms class where 800-1,000 rounds are shot over two days. That will show you the quality of all of your equipment. I was fortunate enough to take a Larry Vickers LE class and the guns were run hard. All the GLOCKs ran and so did Sacramento PD's Sig 226s at the time. If I remember correctly, those that failed were okay after a good cleaning or replaced with a striker gun.

State of Jefferson - On the Darkside where the cookies are...
    Tomato....tomatoes, use what fits YOU best and know what you are using like the back of your hand.

Guns don't go off by themselves, they aren't magical or supernatural. Keep your grubbies out of the ouchies and you'll be just fine.

Started off with an issued military Colt 1911A1 slug lobber that was so old I think my granddad was probably issued it. So I bought my own Combat Commander and carried it for years and years. Took it with me to the first Gulf War because IT WORKED and I trusted it far far better than the then issued Beretta 92 that was then the issued sidearm for Corpsman.

Later on I tried the Glock 19, lighter and much easier to fire than the 1911, so picked up a couple because I wanted something my wife could easily master and you can't bitch too much about the capacity and you gotta love the ability to play with the "Happy Stick"!

I like them BOTH, the 1911 and the Glock, but usually carry a S&W 60 snubbie with .38 Spl +P rounds when out and about. I'm not going to war....just trying to get out of trouble should I step into it. If it goes beyond six rounds then I really stepped into it and probably should have been there in the first place. Just saying.

And should the SHTF....I'll be carrying both the 1911 and the 19, much like I did in Desert Storm. Each tool has a unique purpose and does the job assigned to it. Thank you very much!
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by echo19 View Post
    Jackpine Savage- You are completely correct. Going to a range and shooting 100-200 rounds of ammunition at a target without malfunction does not make it reliable. If one wants a true test of their equipment, enroll in a firearms class where 800-1,000 rounds are shot over two days. That will show you the quality of all of your equipment. I was fortunate enough to take a Larry Vickers LE class and the guns were run hard. All the GLOCKs ran and so did Sacramento PD's Sig 226s at the time. If I remember correctly, those that failed were okay after a good cleaning or replaced with a striker gun.
    I'm still bummed that I missed out on a Larry Vickers class only 50 miles from me. Found out about it too late. The most common theme of the AARs was don't take the class if you're easily offended

Larry Vickers is one of the preeminent 1911 gunsmiths. I remember drooling over one of his guns that was on the cover of a gun magazine in the 80's. His guns went for $5,000 back then with a long wait time. Here's his take on the Glock vs. 1911 debate

http://www.vickerstactical.com/faqrs...y-vickers.html

6. How do I know if a 1911 is the right choice for me?
    That is a tough question as I feel most people are best served NOT using a 1911 as a primary sidearm. Two criteria come to mind a) A passion for the 1911 platform and b) you are willing to be your own armorer and can fix relatively minor problems or fit certain parts yourself. If you are the kind of guy that doesnít mind tinkering with your Harley Davidson motorcycle to keep it running then you are a candidate. If, however, you treat your pistols like we all treat our lawnmowers, then donít get a 1911 Ė- use a Glock. If you want a very nice 1911 that runs out of the box, get a Wilson Combat.

Here's some old 1911 guys talking about Glocks. On a serious note I do use the Grip Force adaptor. Run time 16:12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ViI2UWFKg

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    ...but usually carry a S&W 60 snubbie with .38 Spl +P rounds when out and about.
    Me too, I'd bobbed hammer and added grip clip 'holster'. Since mid 80's its gotten the most carry time & back-up duty.

IMG_1324.jpg

Easiest 'don't leave home without it' grab & go gun inside the belt anytime anywhere.

- Shane
    Last edited by shane; 12-07-2017 at 02:59 PM.

The class I had with Vickers was an all male class. So it was....you know, he didn't hold back. I learned a lot from that class and brought some of the shooting drills back to my department. The first time I saw a Vickers 1911 I fell in love as that is what I would want in a 1911. No bling just magic.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Me too, I'd bobbed hammer and added grip clip 'holster'. Since mid 80's its gotten the most carry time & back-up duty.

Attachment 143084

Easiest 'don't leave home without it' grab & go gun inside the belt anytime anywhere.

- Shane
    That's a good setup with the same ammunition I use in my .38s.