Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER ANOTHER lovely June day on tap (85 deg)
+ Reply to Thread

ANOTHER lovely June day on tap (85 deg)

Ah, “winter” in Austin! Such lovely, brisk days! The colorful leaves! That Christmas feel!

Temps in the low 80’s today. Hot and muggy as hell. Leaves are still on the trees and green. Santa is wearing Bermuda shorts.

Another year without winter.

Bouncing off of 20 degrees here this AM, heavy frost too. High today is supposed to be around 50.

Changes in altitude, changes in attitude...
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Ah, “winter” in Austin! Such lovely, brisk days! The colorful leaves! That Christmas feel!

Temps in the low 80’s today. Hot and muggy as hell. Leaves are still on the trees and green. Santa is wearing Bermuda shorts.

Everything is a trade-off.

How many Yankees will you have to endure today.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

The proper question is, how many MEXICANS will I have to deal with today?

Warm all night, and 38 this morning. It's going to get into the tropical 40's here today, with no snow on the ground. But rain is on the way, and further north, snow this afternoon and tonight. Hope it stays rain here. I don't mind a brown Christmas at all.

58 right now; high around 65 predicted with lows into the 30's tonight when the cold front comes through; then 40's/20's for 2 days before dipping down into the 20's/teens for another 3 days. Guess we'll be draining the big rain water tank in the shed tomorrow; I'll need to gather and bleach all my rain water containers so we can fill them with rain water to use in the canners over the winter. Sigh - time to start buying bottled water for storage again...

Why Renee? Unless the temps stay that low for over a week, all you’ll get is surface ice, and that will melt when temps rebound. (Lived 14 years in Wisconsin, so I know how long it takes water to freeze solid in any quantity - heh.)

Why Renee? Unless the temps stay that low for over a week, all you’ll get is surface ice, and that will melt when temps rebound. (Lived 14 years in Wisconsin, so I know how long it takes water to freeze solid in any quantity - heh.)
    Yeah we have a 3000 gallon tank and it has never frozen, even with temps down to -14. That's the lowest low in 13 years here...
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.

("Anthem" by Leonard Cohen)

65 here in Chicago today. 35 tomorrow. They are projecting gale force winds later today.

Dennis, Hubby has his tail in a twist over it, so I'm just gonna be a good wife and stand back and let him do what he wants to do - truth is, I know it will probably be okay, but I'm if I'm wrong and he's right, I'll be the one working overtime to buy a new tank because there is no way in heck he'd ever turn loose of $1K for a new one (he handles most of our $$).

Heck, he may be right - we are looking at temps under freezing during most of the day for at least 9 days in a row; with five in the low twenties, four in the teens. We could probably get by with a heat light on the faucet of the tank for a few days, but it's going to have to be emptied sooner or later anyway - may as well do it on a warmish day while the hoses will unroll easily - we'll be doing a 200+ feet run to the nearest drainage area, and we don't dare leave 'em out overnight or the coyotes are liable to tear them up again (they tore a couple of green one with yellow stripes into pieces; maybe they thought it was a snake?)

I will let him carry all that bottled water into the house and down to the basement though

We - well, not 'we' but family who have cabins/campers on our place have had 250 and 500 gallon tanks freeze and crack. This one is in an uninsulated machine shed and if it cracks, it could cause some significant damage to items in the shed.

Most of last week we were 70's. Yesterday it was 76. Today and tomorrow low 50's for our high then back to the 60's. Does not look like we will really get cold weather either although there is a freeze warning form Wednesday morning but after that our lows will be in the 40's.
    At peace in the arms of Jesus. RIP my love until we meet again.

Renee, you said:

Heck, he may be right - we are looking at temps under freezing during most of the day for at least 9 days in a row; with five in the low twenties, four in the teens.

Let me tell you something: it’d take temps in the teens BELOW ZERO to freeze a large water tank solid in the time period you describe. He’s wrong, and I’M RIGHT (snicker), and I don’t have to play the “good wife”...

Hey - I said I was gonna BE a good wife; not play one

Go to a farm store and buy a bucket heater. They have a thermostat to turn them off when the temperature gets to 180+ degrees. They are 3 inches wide. Mine last about 4 years. The one I bought a couple of years ago was less than $50. I have actually had one in a rubbermaid 150 gallon tank thaw out about 100 gallons of ice and get the top water temperature up to 80 degrees.

Water actually releases some heat as it freezes. It is amazing how slowly it freezes in my 300 gallon metal stocktank. So get a bucket heater and when you get an inch of ice on the top break a hole and put the heater in. It beats working yourself to death by emptying it fast. Also look into getting some insulation around the tank.

Windy Ridge

=

Quote Originally Posted by ReneeT View Post
    Hey - I said I was gonna BE a good wife; not play one

Yooooouuuuuuu betcha!!

Single Digits Fahrenheit every night this week.

Howdy, Folks!

Highs in the mid 40s all week during the day. Clear and sunny every day. Beautiful.

So, that means I'm fixing gallons of soups and sauces to put outside overnight, then they go into the deep freeze.

Hot cocoa in front of the fire tonight, then snuggling down with Missus Shimoda under flannel sheets and a down comforter.

I love the cold.

Enjoy Central Texas, Dennis - I sure don't miss that miserable weather!

Peace and Love,

Donald Shimoda

Quote Originally Posted by TorahTips View Post
    65 here in Chicago today. 35 tomorrow. They are projecting gale force winds later today.
    Same here except the temps will be in the low 20's and gale force winds.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

PDW, I’d love to get some of that weather!

Temps in the DC area were in the high 50's today. Supposed to be some rain tomorrow, then it gets progressively colder through the rest of the week. Weatherman is calling for snow flurries here Friday night and on Sunday as well-temps will be cold and clear next week too.

That's what I like about this area-you get all 4 seasons, not "summer's here" and "summer will be back in a minute" where I was born and raised. Although I work outside day in and day out, I do enjoy working in the cold.

It was 85 here today.

PDW, I’d love to get some of that weather!
    Winds just kicked up 48mph wind gust just hit the house, and it's supposed to get worse tonight.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I will most enthusiastically trade you. It's 25F now, expected to be in mid teens tonight. I'm struggling to keep this tin box above 68F at the moment. I believe we got to a balmy 38F today, basking weather, tempted me to put out the beach umbrella and don my bermudas.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Just for you, Dennis.
    Attached Images
    "You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

It got up near 50 here today, but that's about the end of our Indian summer weather... the winds are whippjng, temps are dropping... and we're under a winter storm watch for Wednesday evening through Thursday night. 12-24" expected, but up to three feet possible in the snowbelts just south of Buffalo.

Since lake effect snow squall amounts are determined by wind direction, only a degree or two change in the expected wind direction can change how much snow we get. It was just about this time of year that our little town made the international news for getting 5 FEET of snow in 24 hours.

Say what you will about hot and humid, but at least you dont have to shovel it!

Summerthyme

Blowing snow here, no travel advised for all of eastern south Dakota.
    "This place is fantastic! It's like "Gone With The Wind" on mescaline. They walk imaginary pets here...and they're all heavily armed and drunk..."
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

About 60 miles outside oif Las Vegas, we had a high of 60 today and a low of 38. Its about 48 outside right now according to my weather station
    When fascism comes to America it will come across an unsecured border carrying a Koran.

Stayed warm 60’s over night. Son and I went to play some golf today, little bit windy, but still had a good time. Tomorrow putting up Christmas lights.

Howdy, Folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post
    I'm struggling to keep this tin box above 68F at the moment.
    Wow. At 68F, I'd be naked and roasting.

[Missus Shimoda would still be wrapped up in her arctic garb, however.]

In the past, we heated our master bed and bath to 55 (again, for Missus Shimoda's comfort). Main part of the house we kept at 50, and the rooms that weren't used much in the winter (guest room and bath, Missus Shimoda's office - she would instead cover up and use a laptop by the living room fireplace, giving an award-winning performance as The Little Match Girl) we would let get down to about 43.

Anything above 60 is positively luxurious in the wintertime in our area. Hope you achieve 68 or above - enjoy it!

Peace and Love,

Donald Shimoda

"Cold front" supposed to be coming thru this weekend. Daytime highs in the mid 60's. Gotta love it!

The front came through here in the last hour, dropping the overnight temp from 70 to (currently) 53 and breezy. I just pottied the dogs, and will now open the windows and let the heat out.

76 yesterday,
    35 right now
    high in the low 40's

we wear snake boots and shorts deer hunting!!
    Mars or Mexico GO HOME!!!!!!!
    If wishes were horses we'd be eatin steak

Going Galt 11-2012

85 yesterday, 54 today. People will be dropping from hypothermia...

Yep, I turned the heat on this morning.