Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Can anyone else remember things from when you were a baby/toddler? What are your earliest memories?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The day WW2 ended. Buttermilk Skies was playing on the radio.
    If you are born to hang, they will never shoot you.

First birthday, I was wearing kiddie overalls (blue or green I think), sitting in the old big kitchen in a high chair, with one bun with one candle in it, looked like a hot cross bun.

Being pushed in a baby carriage with my new born sister, she was born when I was 18 months old, and a black nursemaid was pushing us.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

From age one or there about. Remember being carried upstairs in the day for a nap. There was a landing with a small whatnot table on which stood a statue of a colonial man and one of a woman in a blue ball gown. I thought they were dolls and made a grab at them.

I remember breaking the ostrich egg that the owner swore there was no way I could break it. Just after that prediction, thinking it was a ball, I held it over my head and threw it to the floor to see it bounce. Mother was mortified.

I remember the Wedgwood blue color Mom had painted the front entry hall and the wall going upstairs. Paired with the bright white she'd painted the once lovely woodwork, that blue really popped.

I remember being left behind at her friend's house while she and my Father got the move to the new house done. I recall being very interested in that the doorknob to the friend's front door was dead center of the door. She also left her magazines out where I could get at them to rip them up. I had just laid hands on one with the lead actors from Petticoat Junction on it when I heard that front door close. I went looking for Mom. No Mom.

Burst into tears. Stayed that way all week. I cried myself to sleep, I cried when I woke up. I remember her boys trying to play with me. I just sat in a puddle of tears.

Sadly, I remember my folks fighting more than ever after the move.

As a family, we were just marking time by then.
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now with so much happening, so much to see? Life used to be dull you see...and you don't have to sleep alone, you don't even have to sleep at all; and so, all you have to do is show the stick to the dog now and then and say, 'Thank God for nothing.'"

Drusilla, "The UNVANQUISHED. William Faulkner

My earliest memory is being rocked to sleep. My father put me down before I was asleep. He wasn't supposed to. Made me boiling mad and screamed in outrage.

I was 16 months old when I was hit by a car in the alley behind my parent's home where I wasn't suppose to be. I remember being injured and taken to the hospital to have my forehead sewn up.

Walking into the hospital with my mother soon after the accident and seeing children in iron lungs.

Being weaned after biting my mother, but I liked real food so no big deal to me, but mother reminds me of this occasionally. When I was born, the doc dropped me saying I must weigh over 12 pounds, but only weighed nearly 11 pounds. Soon after being born, my mother and maternal grandmother took me to my grandparent's farm where grandmother fixed chicken and dumplings. I was fussy and wouldn't calm down and grandmother told my mother that I could smell the chicken and dumplings and to feed me the broth from the chicken and dumplings and after she did, I quieted down and went to sleep, haven't stopped eating since. I have always had a hankering for chicken and dumplings.

Seeing my paternal grandfather in his coffin.

Having a sub-machine water gun that would shoot water over the house that my mom and dad broke fighting over. Broke my heart.

Going to the parade in downtown and being roped by a cowboy while I was standing in the street.

At grandmother's using the outhouse and taking baths in the kitchen in a galvanized tub filled with warm water from the wood stove. Also getting in trouble for tinkling off the back porch instead of going to the outhouse got my pants dusted, but beat walking out to the outhouse.

Texican.

I was put in an orphanage at just barely 2 years old. From before then I remember getting stung by a bee (and my natural mother treating my foot with Arm & Hammer), playing with army men on the window sill next to my bed (shared bedroom with a brother) and dropping one out the window - I had to go get it the next day, getting terrified by a HUGE spider (I'm still an terrified by spiders) and being taken to the orphanage. Plus more mundane memories.

I was about 2 when Dad had a card party. He put me to bed in my crib but I got out after hearing all the laughter. We had a closet that opened in the bedroom on one side and also in the dining room on the other side. I hid in there and watched them play cards til Dad spotted me. He chased me from one closet door around to the other door trying to catch me while I'm just running under the clothes. The guys, half in the bag, were laughing their arses off. I finally feel asleep in the closet.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

I remember biting my Mom's arm in church while she was holding me. Sleeveless dress exposing that nice soft, biteable arm. I remember her swatting me; I remember the color of the dress; I remember we were standing in the back of the church.

After grown up, she was visiting once and I asked her about it and she confirmed the memories. She said I was about 9 mo. old.

Falling in the toilet during my first time riding the porcelain beast. Of course there were aunts & uncles standing by with mom & day watching. The shock of my bum hitting the ice cold water is my very first childhood memory, one I'd sooner forget. Thank God there are no photos or video of the event.
    "The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." Horace Walpole

My earliest memory is of playing in a sandbox with a little sand sifter...I remember my feelings of happiness more than anything. The next one I was at a park with the family and I plotted to sneak up on a table and eat as many cookies as I could get to while everyone else was playing -I had 5 older siblings at the time and didn't want to share. I remember thinking how tasty the cookies were and how I had to eat fast before I was caught! That is also my first clear memory of my Dad... he caught me eating the cookies and laughed and laughed. Mom said I was only about 1 1/2 yrs old at the time.
    DH never believes me when I tell him I remember these.
    "Good is better than evil, because it's nicer."

Quote Originally Posted by Milk-maid View Post
    DING-Ding-Ding...winner for the earliest memory!!!
    Mine isn't QUITE 2 weeks old but it Is not much older. Now, this is a two stage memory. The SECOND stage is from about 1-1 1/2 years old, as I was having my last lip/palette/nostril surgery, and at the time I remembered my MUCH earlier first or second surgery which would have been at 2-4 months old. There MIGHT exist ONE pic of me as an infant with my cleft. It is NOT the pic of me at around 6 months with my blonde curls, which was a pic my mom happened to LOVE.
    The next SOLID memory I have is being carried all over the hospital as the nurse PROVED to me that they had no sleepers with feet in them in the WHOLE hospital (she took me down to the laundry...)Was about 3.....

Any wonder why I became a MEDIC and why I am WAY TOO comfy in hospitals???
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

I get accused if being a liar when talking about this stuff. I cant say what my "earliest" memory is..but of many extremely early memories I do remember my circumcision experience..and the blue baby pin the doc used afterwards and I had a small metal pistol that was slipped onto the pin that was used to pin my diaper after the deed and I remember my willy looked like a piece of cooked bacon for awhile and how I would get a gander at it every time mom or grandma or my aunti would change my diaper.
    This would be from Feburary 1964.

I've had some memories of a house we lived in, and the town of Butte, MT. We moved away from there when I was 2. I also have a memory of my older half brother, and being told that he had died. I was 4.

Repeatedly having my ears lanced by the doctor for ear infections. Back in the day, there were no ear tubes. Having both eardrums pierced by that instrument was the most excruciating pain I’ve ever felt in my life. I remember screaming. Ages 2-4ish...

I have lots of memories from age like 4 or 5 on, but before that only one. My dad was in the Air Force and I was born in Wichita Kansas at McConnell Air force base, the only memory I have, I am guessing I was about 1 and 1/2 or 2 years old, and my dad was holding my hand as we walked outside to my mom's garden in the on base housing. I remember the back yard, and the concrete I was concentrating on as I was walking down the back stairs trying not to trip That is really the only thing I remember before we moved to NY,
    When fascism comes to America it will come across an unsecured border carrying a Koran.

I remember very clearly going up and down the roadways on a car trip through the Smoky Mountains, chewing Salt Water Taffy, thinking it was the best thing I had ever eaten. My mom tells me that was at 18 months of age.
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

God, I must be a potato. I don't remember anything until I was 5. I remember playing with a small record player at Christmas time. It was playing music called Sugar Plum Fairy. When I hear that now I just love it. Later in kinder garten I fell from the monkey bars hitting my head on the step bar. Knocked me out totally. Woke up in the back seat of the car and barfed. Maybe that affected my memories and made me a little nuts to this day.
    Guns, Grub, and God!

I remember our 2nd home, moved there at 3 years old. I remember my aunt who was born in 1887, she was very sweet to me and always had candy to give.
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

my earliest memory is of staying with my aunt Marie when my sister Denise was born. I can remember walking down her hallway from the bedroom holding a yellow teething ring that had a bunny rabbit head and ears on it. I would have JUST barely turned two then because I was born on the 10'th and Denise was born on the 23'rd
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

Interesting thread. Given how we remember early scenes more or less as we picture them today says a lot about how particular parts of our brains are pre-wired. Namely, vision. From my early memories, I don't recall smells, or sounds, or anything other than vision.

I was probably 3 and a half or 4 in my earliest memories- Was being picked up from my grandmothers, dad putting coat on me, I struggled and ended up banging head on radiator and needing stitches.

In the ER, he was telling the guy stitching it up not to wear his mask, it would frighten me.

I can't imagine having memories as a baby or even smaller toddler. The idea of being so small, helpless, and unable to communicate, is way creepy/scary to me!
    If white privilege exists, why did Senator Warren have to pretend to be an Indian?

I have memories from about 1 year old. I remember being put in my crib by my grandmother, having my diaper changed and getting a bottle. I remember exactly how that room looked. There were lilacs growing right outside my bedroom window and the smell was awesome. We lived in that house until I was 5 and I have many many memories there. Then life became more difficult and I have whole years during adolescence with absolutely no memories.
    "I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

Must have been about 2-3 y/o at the time. Great Uncle Ed had taken me downtown with him.
    A man driving a horse-drawn hay wagon came by and Uncle Ed flagged him down. Put me up
    on the seat beside him and we got a genuine horse-and-buggy ride....only one I ever got.
    Four Things You Can't Recover: The stone - after its
    thrown, The word - after it's said, The occasion -
    after it's missed, and Time - after it's gone.

10 One prediction on memory...

I will bet that EVERYONE here remembers the first, and the most recent, time they had sex. (Ducking...)
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Dumb, Lucas....

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Dumb...
    You think my prediction is inaccurate, Dennis?
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

I remember the first house I ever lived in. I have several memories from that time frame and we moved from there somewhere around aged 2 to 3. There was a fenced in back yard and behind that was the railroad tracks. To this day the sound of a train terrifies me. I remember sitting in the sand box playing and the trains coming thru. I remember how gritty the sand was when I would get it in my mouth.
    I have a really odd memory that I've never been able to make any sense out of. My mother went to a meeting and my dad was babysitting. I remember he took us somewhere and we got stuck trying to get up the hill. He got something out that I thought was rolls of thin paper and rolled it out to get traction to get up the hill. I still to this day have no idea what it was because I was afraid to ask him and he's gone now. We got up to the intersection and I remember him telling us to duck because our Mother was coming and he didn't want her to see us. Weird I know?? I could even drive back and found that exact same road even though we moved away when I was really little. Because it was in a town that had those huge water reservoirs like Petticoat Junction had and we were sitting across from them on the road. Anyway, I still rack my brain trying to remember what we were doing down that dark gravel road and why we were hiding from my mother?
    I also remember my Mother's best friend who used to babysit us and who visited a lot. She was so nice. When we moved to a different town pretty far away I have tons of memories and I was three there. One I was wandering across the street in a vacant lot and the grass was grown up so tall that it was taller than me and I got lost. I remember my dad having to come find me. Tons of other memories but nothing exciting.
    Oh when I was three my dad took us all fishing. I remember him pushing me into his tackle box and when my Mother helped me up I had fishing hooks stuck all down the back of my legs. I remember my mother crying while taking out the hooks off my legs and me crying and her fussing at me dad for doing that. My dad was really a mean man. He did some horrible things to us.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    You think my prediction is inaccurate, Dennis?
    I think your so-called prediction is obvious, thus you’re only stating it to get a dig in.

People always remember the first and current times that something engaged them emotionally, be it sex or anything else. You really need to get your head out of the sex-gutter, because it seems that you’ve devolved into that rut - again.

Brokenwings, how about some paragraph breaks?

Thanks!

when I was around 18/20 months.
    My Favorite Uncle Bud lifting me in the air and putting me in a wheeled toy box he had built for me and pushing it around the house with me in it.
    I remember this so vividly
    and in years latter he confirmed this cause he had just delivered the box

and this would be winter/spring of 54
    Last edited by 33dInd; 12-05-2017 at 05:08 PM.

i remember waking up in bed with my little brother and seeing my breath on a cold winter morning. I was probably around 3. My father was a farm hand and part of his wages was the old farmhouse we lived in with a coal furnace. In the mornings the house would not heat up until he went down and shoveled some coal in it. We didn't have indoor plumbing either.

Revelation 6:8
    I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

http://www.mdsoptics.com

I remember going to the hospital to see my little brother when he was born, I was a month away from turning two.
    I remember my mom's dog BerryBoy, a big kind German shepherd, but mostly I remember him as a warm presence.
    I remember my turtle sandbox, and trying to save toads to play with later by closing the lid with them in it -- they invariably baked and died.
    I remember riding around Sears in the stroller, holding onto my little brother, little Easter hats that matched my dresses from Sears too. I also remember going to see Beauty and the Beast (animated) at two and a half.

Circumcision. Less than two weeks old. In the old family records I might even still have the doctor's billing.