Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Can anyone else remember things from when you were a baby/toddler? What are your earliest memories?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

7 Can anyone else remember things from when you were a baby/toddler? What are your earliest memories?

I remember drinking from a bottle and getting a little panicy when the milk came too fast (because Mom burned too big a hole in that rubber nipple.) I remember later when she started putting cooked cream of wheat (farina) in with the formula.( so I would sleep all night) I remember THAT because of the machine gun like ROAR (noise) in my baby ears that the farina going through the nipple hole would make!!

Later, I remember when I first started walking, we had a silverware drawer in our kitchen table and the top of my head came to the top of the drawer and I wanted SO much to see in that drawer and leaned WAY back to try to get my eyes high enough to see in the drawer but just ended up falling backwards! I remember momma carrying me on her hip and I was gradually slipping down and afraid she would drop me but after I slipped so far she would suddenly hike me up higher on her hip!

I remember momma smearing VICKS Vapo-rub around my nose in the winter time and rubbing my chest with it. I hated it,but didn't dare rub it off or she would put more on.

I remember being carried everywhere, and later remember when mom forced me to give up my white, high top baby shoes (I cried and was angry and disconsolate for at least days!) I remember a favorite, red, snap front cotton, cardigan Buster Brown baby sweater that I out grew but it was handed down to my new baby sister. I remember before my sister was born.(she is 15 months younger than I) One "car ferry" ride daddy was carrying me and held me over the rail saying, SEE OUR CAR HONEY? I was terrified he might accidentally drop me and nodded yes frantically so he would bring me back, although I really did not see "our car".
    I wasn't even 18 mo old and it was the first lie I can remember deliberately telling!
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 12-03-2017 at 02:36 AM.
    Proverbs 18:13 Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

13 He that answereth before that he heareth, showeth himself to be a fool; and worthy of shame.

It's so refreshing to learn that someone else has such early memories.

I can remember very clearly my second birthday party. The house in which I would grow up was in the process of being built. It was all 2x4 framing. The sun was shining, and I can still see in my minds' eye how the sun shone on those boards. There was a gift from my maternal grandmother that I was unable to open because the ribbon was so tight. Also to this day, I can see the smug look of satisfaction on her face when I was unable to open the gift. My dad cut the ribbon for me with his pocket knife.

There is one other very early memory. I was around a year old, maybe a little bit less. At the time, my parents lived in a rented house in a different part of the county. One of my parents was blacking the stove, and a wall of chairs had been built in the doorway to keep me out from underfoot while the blacking was being applied. The memory is of looking through that wall of chairs and seeing (I think) my dad slightly bent over applying the blacking. Interestingly enough, this memory is in black and white/greyscale, not colour. I can still hear the brushing/scraping sound of the rag he used.
    Don't tailgate the honeywagon. ;)

What is blacking

Stove black (or stove polish) is the equivalent of high-temp paint. There are a number of different formulations, but in its simplest form, it seems to be charcoal and graphite (http://www.lehmans.com/store/Sto...). Some of the other formulations seem include wax and/or solvents.
    You can get it at Lowe's, Home Depot, ACE hardware, True Value, and Amazon.
    It serves 2 purposes:
    Corrosion resistance - inhibits rust
    Comsmetic - looks pretty

Yes, many memories....crawling up & out of my crib with the extending rails up, in my sleeping bag with no feet in, just a open foot area sewn up at the bottom, making it hard to move in. I still was crawling so I must have been under 1 year old. Many of the other memories I won’t go through since I was left alone growing up.
    God Bless Us & God Bless America!

I have several memories from my early years. The first I was 14 months old and had to stay with my dad's parents when my sister was being born. I remember sitting up in the middle of the king size bed between my grandparents rocking back and forth and my grandmother trying to get me to lay down and go to sleep (still can't go to sleep before midnight even now). The next memory I was about two years old. I was sick, it was night time and I was standing in the crib crying, the door was partway open and I could see out into the living room. The doctor came all the way out to our house which was 15 miles from the city and I remember hearing the car and seeing him come in. The next memory from about the same age my mom's mom was watching me and my cousin and had gone out the back door and the door slammed behind her and was locked. She couldn't get into the the house and my cousin and I spread sugar and flour over the kitchen floor while she is screaming at us to stop, I can still see her face at the window in the door.

My Father was a traveling photographer during WW2. My Mom and him went to bases all over selling photos to soldiers. They left me with my black Mammy in Ok. I remember her.
    And I remember going to live with my Grandma at about 2 yrs old and I remember my Uncles coming home from the war. I remember the upset when my Grandma got a telegram saying my one Uncle was missing in action and the joy when he escaped from Holland. My tablet is running out of steam.

The Self-Sustaining, Independent Nation of Texas
    3 years old... on vacation with parents in Pensacola FL... I remember coming from beach into the hotel and falling down on the slippery floor of the elevator... I will be 53 on December 7th.
    “Under divine blessing, we must rely on the bayonet when firearms cannot be furnished”
    – General Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson (April 1861)

Rubber nipples?

http://youtu.be/oeafSiyJ_1A

Can anyone else remember things from when you were a baby/toddler? What are your earliest memories?

Oh geeze.....typical boy here. Can remember being around 3 years old farting in the bath tub and watching the bubbles come up and getting a big kick out of it.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Watching Nixon's "Checkers" speech on our B&W TV at age 18mo or so. Going for a ride in my parents' Citroen 2CV at around age 3 when a neighbor's kid wanted to try it out, the day was brilliantly sunny, and the car was extremely loud (and that may have been the last time it ever ran). Staying at a hotel in FL at <18mo when visiting my dad's mother.
    E Deploribus Unum

Oderint dum metuant

Every day is a JDAM day

My earliest is when I was about 3. My one leg was shorter than the other, and I had to wear a weighted shoe on it. One day I was sitting on the porch steps with my Mom waiting for my Dad to get home from work. I was swinging my feet, and kept hitting Mom in the shin with the weighted shoe. After telling me to stop it several times, she finally had enough and kicked me back. I never did it agin.
    I could make it cheaper!!!

Wow! I can no longer remember what I had for dinner last night!! Getting old is not fun!

LIVE WITHIN YOUR HARVEST

When I was a new Dad myself (back in the 80s) I put a VHS tape in for the kids. It was bears singing nursery rhymes. I wasn't paying much attention to it, I was actually dozing a bit on the couch, but a song came on that jolted me. I knew the song. It meant something to me. Lyrics in part were "Lavender blue, dilly dilly..." It was like getting struck by lightning.

So, I called my mom and told her about it. She freaked. She said that was a song she sang to me when I was a newborn, but that she had stopped singing it soon thereafter because her sister told her it was a song for girls. She said I couldn't have been more than a month or two old when she stopped singing that.

I believe our memories are all there from the very beginning. We just can't retrieve them using our everyday mental processes. A triggering event and a semiconscious state can sometimes retrieve them.
    (1 Cor. 8:1-2) : "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know."

Yes all the way back to being a few months old. I can describe where we lived, the inside of the home, the appliances, the basement, the yard. We moved when I was two and a half. The neighbors, even the songs on the radio. Specific meals, specific events like the pest control company coming when we had termites. I have specific memories of events like when I climbed up onto the stove to get into the cupboard. I took pancake syrup down and poured it on the floor. It got into the cracks of the tile my mom said and the whole time we lived there it kept seeping out and she would have to mop. All before I was 30 months old.

I remember the house I grew up in like I was still living in it, Oh I guess I still am living in it ,
    no, have few child hood memories that I can instant recall, I have some memories of events that were photographed, but do not know if I am remembering the event or the picture. (I think the picture has helped me in keeping the event fresh). because I is recalled from time to time, I remember a few things from grade school, but not before much.

My DD remembers things from when she was a baby, I think she thinks she even remembers the color of the delivery room, and things at family events before she could walk, or even really crawl.

I remember sitting in a pail of water in the back yard of the duplex we lived in when I was a baby. It was a regular metal garden pail and I think those were 2 1/2 gallon size. I also remember splashing water on a "big girl" who I found out later was the older sister of the little neighbor boy I used to play with. I also remember being tossed back and forth from my dad and an army buddy of his. They were standing in the shallows by a low concrete or stone wall and this was at Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis. I remember wearing a little dark red wool knit swimming suit and I had to have been between 7 and 8 months old in both of these memories. Then, when a little older,I also remember standing in my crib and biting the top of the rails. My teeth were at just the right level to do that. It was varnished wood, so at least I wasn't eating lead based enamel.

I remember a lot of things from when I was a little older, things I played with, places I played, new baby sister, things I wore, Christmases and what I got as gifts, how we lived in the basement first, the meals my mom made, clothing she sewed, starting school, etc.

My earliest memory is when I was about 2 years old. We were stationed in Bremerhaven Germany as my Dad was in the Air Force. I remember it had snowed and someone helped build a snowman on the playground at the apartment complex where we lived. A tall, thin young man came walking by, picked me up and sat me on top of the snowman. I have no idea if he was a friend of my parents or a stranger just walking by.
    Psalm 147:11
    The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

My earliest memory...

Age two, when I got a particularly painful shot at my pediatrician's office. (Yellow-striped black asphalt parking lot with trees outside, right butt cheek.)
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Oh yes...

I was 2, riding in the back seat of the green ford (3 rows of seats) station wagon, bringing my mom & newborn brother home from the hospital. A year later - him climbing the kitchen cabinets and downing a bottle of baby aspirin - me getting blamed for it and not being believed when I told the truth - and drinking whatever the ER gave us to throw up. I gave my brother my lollipop. I remember even sensory things about that house... especially the purple wool carpet. The basement. My dog. Riding in front of my dad on his BSA in the backyard and my mom's hissyfit. The gigantic sentinal oak tree in the backyard that was first appreciation of Ents. LOL. Long before I read Tolkien.

I was a baby maybe around 9 months old. My mom was holding me in her arms in the doorway of the kitchen leading to the living room and dad was yelling at her. She started to cry. I wanted to comfort her, but didn't know how. So I wiggled out of her arms and she put me on the floor. I crawled to the bedroom and tried to clean it up. (I didn't really know how, so she didn't notice.)

When I was older, I remember telling her about that story. I told her that the living room was painted very dark at the time. She said I had to be very young because they moved in and it was a disgusting dark green. They painted it shortly after moving in. So I was still a baby.

I can also remember another time, I had just started to walk just a short while before. Everyone was at the kitchen table, but I wasn't. I walked under it and the table couldn't touch my head yet. I tried to tell my mom, but didn't have the words to express my delight at being able to walk under the table.

Can still walk to within 3 feet of where we buried my first puppy, ran over when I was 2 1/2. Named Rascal. I drove by the old house and lot of property where we lived then and remembered that first truly sad experience!
    “America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.”
    ¯Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by anney View Post
    My earliest memory is when I was about 2 years old. We were stationed in Bremerhaven Germany as my Dad was in the Air Force. I remember it had snowed and someone helped build a snowman on the playground at the apartment complex where we lived. A tall, thin young man came walking by, picked me up and sat me on top of the snowman. I have no idea if he was a friend of my parents or a stranger just walking by.
    How did you get down?

4 years old seems to be my earliest memory.....

I remember the sound of peeping chicks when Grandma got spring chicks. I still go back in time when I smell a leather saddle or a sweaty pony. I loved that pony and honestly he could really be mean! I remember I galloped him straight down a hill and him throwing me over his head and running over top of me. I'm also one who remembers being greased with Vick's and hiding under a desk when it was time for more. I remember Grandpas store shelves and him giving me Mail Pouch Tobacco to worm my pony with? Probably an old old country remedy I guess. When we were really little we would stand at the window behind the store and holler for Grandpa to throw us down ice cream bars. I also remember sitting down right on top of an anthill once, never did that again!!!

I remember my second birthday cake sitting on my great aunt's kitchen table with two giant candles on it.

Judy

The earliest memory I have is my Grandmother bathing me in her kitchen sink (I stayed with her alll week while Mom and Dad worked). She had broken her back and couldn't bend over to wash me in the tub without pain. I was around two. I'm not sure how old tho.

6 I would say,

around 2, since my parents were building a house, remember seeing the framing, the basement, our dog and when seeing pictures and the dates on them put me at about 2yrs old,

then a few yrs later, really remember the missle crises, since I was helping carry all those one gal glass water jugs down the steps, got so tired of going up and down steps, and remembering everyone saying we don't have time to rest right now, grab more stuff and get it down in the basement,,

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Wow! I can no longer remember what I had for dinner last night!! Getting old is not fun!
    Yeah that's about where I am, although not old but have had plenty of blows to the head
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Wow, you all have such great memories! I remember very little until about the age of 5. I do remember a pile of monopoly money on the floor when I was about 3. Dad worked nights and Mom taught me to play the game very young. And my third birthday cake, a teddy bear with coconut on the top like bear fur. But, I may be remembering the photo and not the actual event.
    The history of civilization could actually be written by the level of its women ~Archbishop Fulton J Sheen

My earliest memory was at about 20 months. I'm sure the reason it has always stuck with me was because (1) a weirdness that happened, and (2) I was terrified. The weirdness was me looking at my infant brother being held by my Dad, and then suddenly I was seeing through his eyes, looking up at me being held by my Mother. The terror was a bit later because the sky was exploding, on fire.... Germany, post WWII munitions being exploded on an island in a lake -- to celebrate July 4th my folks later told me.

Around age 4. It amazes that some have such early memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk-maid View Post
    How did you get down?
    My mom came and got me down.
    Psalm 147:11
    The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

There is a 2.33 year difference between my younger brother and I. I recall the day my mom went to the hospital to deliver him. Age 3 in detail is fuzzier than age 4 specific events and even a few day to day interactions that stood out to me.

I'm not sure how early some of my memories are, because Mom would tell the stories, or Grandma would, so part of my memories may be from their stories. But I do remember Grandma biting me on the shoulder when I was about two, to cure me of biting my little brother (it worked, sure startled me at the time, though!). And at about the same age, Mom giving me a bath in a plastic baby tub in the living room (we lived in a cabin in Alaska with no running water or electricity, and the wood stove was in the living room).

When I was three and my next brother was almost two (and our baby brother was about six months old) we decided to walk to Grandma and Grandpa's house. They lived on the next homestead; their house was about a mile from ours. Dad had already plowed the fields so we walked on the edges of the fields where the ground was smoother (fresh plow furrows are pretty rough walking for a couple of littles). Grandma and Grandpa weren't home; we decided they must have gone to town (sixteen miles away) and we could walk to town and find them. We got about another mile before the lady from Texas who lived on the next-door homestead came looking for us in her car. She told us to get in, and I told her I needed to go potty first, which I did in the woods, then she took us home. Mom told us later that she had tried to get our dog, a husky, to track us, and when the dog insisted on going along the edge of the plowed fields (where we had walked), Mom thought she was on the wrong track. She didn't have a car at home at the time, so she carried the chubby, heavy baby half a mile to the neighbor's house and got her to go looking for us.

Another memory, which Mom insists never happened, was of someone -- I think my grandfather -- baking bread at our house when Mom wasn't there. I think it must have been when she went to Glenallen to have the baby brother mentioned above, so I would have been two and a half. My memory of the event used to be pretty clear, so I'm sure it happened, and since Mom wasn't there, she just didn't know about it.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Walking with my grandpa. He took out a plug of tobacco and chewed some off. The wrapper had a mule on it. I begged and begged him for some and he relented. It tasted horrible and I swallowed it. Naturally, I got as sick as a dog and all the way back to the house grandpa was saying, "I told you it wasn't gum!" I was shocked that Mom yelled at grandpa and so did grandma. I was even more shocked when I got spanked! I hadn't even started kindergarten.

About 3 years old, I remember my parents being all worried and making me turn my head first left, then right, making sure my chin could touch my shoulders. Seems the kid across the street got polio and all the parents up and down the street were terrified. The first polio shots were about three years off.

I was three. My parents left me with my grandmother when they left for the hospital to have my sister. My grandmother, who was very proud of her makeup and dress, was getting ready for bed, she had washed her makeup, removed her teeth, and was smiling at me dressed in nothing but a black bra and leotards. She looked so radically different that I didn’t even recognize her until she spoke to me! Gave me quite a start wondering who the strange lady was climbing into bed with me!

Wow, you guys have some really interesting memories! As far back as I can go is about three or four, and the memories are all of some profound event. Like being locked outside while my parents were having a fight, or the first time I saw snow when visiting great grandparents in Indiana. Going to visit my Dad at work when he worked at a Drive in theater, my mom losing control of the car on a wet road and doing a 360. I don't remember any casual day to day things though.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

I remember my dad putting me up on his shoulders
    so that I could see President Eisenhower who was
    in downtown Detroit.

being in a hospital getting some type of scan .i was really sick at the time and the doctors did not know what was wrong with me ..what is really vivid is the gloves i had to wear and and gray blanket type thing that was put over my body .i was 2 week old .i had 5 spinal taps at this time as well .do not remember that specifically .but it lines up with me getting a pet scan at that time
    my father coming to visit me in the hospital and bringing me a teddy bear
    a nurse fussing over me .she was in a white uniform with a white hat nurses used to wear .i seem to remember getting a lot of attention from women nurses .not sure if it was from when i was 2 weeks old or from when i was in the hospital at age 18 month. i remember my father getting really mad at me .i was by the toy box in the basement and him standing by and old hot water tank .
    being in a crib in the hospital with my leg in a cast in traction .and twisting down to the end of the crib to a toy .reason for my leg in a cast was dad got mad at me for not putting toys away .in a fit he had kicked me breaking my leg this my brother told me .

Quote Originally Posted by mrrk1562 View Post
    being in a hospital getting some type of scan .i was really sick at the time and the doctors did not know what was wrong with me ..what is really vivid is the gloves i had to wear and and gray blanket type thing that was put over my body .i was 2 week old .i had 5 spinal taps at this time as well .do not remember that specifically .but it lines up with me getting a pet scan at that time
    DING-Ding-Ding...winner for the earliest memory!!!