Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP Well, I'm back to "Remedial Prepping"
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I bought mine at Lehman's, the Amish store many years ago. Still going strong, but guess I should indeed get a spare just in case.
    Every Time History Repeats Itself The Price Goes Up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Parker View Post
    Great! Then in an emergency, each time I need to open a can I just have to grab my walker, make my way down 11 flights of stairs, rub the can on the sidewalk for a couple of minutes, manage to get back up 11 flights of stairs, and continue cooking? Sounds like a plan...

I guess I'm just a 73 year-old handicapped pussy...
    Well, hell, I'm sitting here laughing my ass off. You do have a way of putting things in perspective. And no, I'm not laughing at your health conditions, just visualizing you cursing the SOB who came up with the idea as you climb back up the stairs.
    Last edited by 2Trish; 12-02-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

I've got a prepping 5 gallon bucket full of those kitchen hand tools - 5c/10c/25c at garage sales - really good can openers that they bought at one of those home parties for $20 ... always looking for another stainless steel paring knife that sharpens up into a scalpel veggie slicer ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 12-02-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    Illini Warrior

There’s a Kitchenaid branded manual can opener that’s as good or better than the best of the earlier gear-driven ones. I own two.

Quote Originally Posted by skwentnaflyer View Post
    One like this?
    https://www.missionrs.com/edlund-1-h...CABEgLwnvD_BwE

The kitchen I use once a week has one, I love that thing.
    Exactly the sort of thing, I've seen them range in price from 70 up to 600 depending on size and brand, you won't bug out on foot with it in a backpack but for the homesteader or for those with a bugout location or already bugged in, they're well worth the price
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

I've opened cans with a knife but I think it's a bit hard on the knife (best to have one you keep just for rough jobs like this). I've opened them with the little military can-opener that some guys keep on their dogtag chain (my ex always had several of those things floating around, and I still have one or two of them somewhere). I have two manual can openers -- the older one is definitely better quality than the newer one. The kind of can-opener I like least is an electric one.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

One like this?
    https://www.missionrs.com/edlund-1-h...CABEgLwnvD_BwE

The kitchen I use once a week has one, I love that thing.

These are pretty much for #10 cans only, and you need a workbench or other permanent place to mount them.

I hav a SWING-A-WAY made in the U.S.A. can opener. Both the little gear and the cutting wheel are made of VERY good steel. It is about 20 years old.

Windy Ridge

Something a lot of you should consider putting into your preps is a Lansky Puck. It's for sharpening large objects like shovels, post hole diggers, axes, spikes/wedges used for chopping down trees, and more.

www.ragweedforge.com sells them for $8
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

ordinary church key bottle opener in a half circle of triangular openings on the edge of the can and you can pry it up backward

[QUOTE=Windy Ridge;6688250]I hav a SWING-A-WAY made in the U.S.A. can opener. Both the little gear and the cutting wheel are made of VERY good steel. It is about 20 years old.

I have had two of these. They last a long time.
    I could make it cheaper!!!

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Something a lot of you should consider putting into your preps is a Lansky Puck. It's for sharpening large objects like shovels, post hole diggers, axes, spikes/wedges used for chopping down trees, and more.

www.ragweedforge.com sells them for $8
    Most of your farm stores have them too, TSC had them out as stocking stuffers a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by homecanner1 View Post
    ordinary church key bottle opener in a half circle of triangular openings on the edge of the can and you can pry it up backward
    Had to do that a time of two, at least the can becomes a deadly weapon, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    These are pretty much for #10 cans only, and you need a workbench or other permanent place to mount them.
    They work for smaller cans, but you have to watch your force, pretty easy to fold the can.

Most of your farm stores have them too, TSC had them out as stocking stuffers a couple of years ago.
    Interesting, I've never seen one of these at the local farm stores. Thanks for the heads up.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Take a pair of dykes and roll the crimp up around the outside.
    Don't the dykes complain to the LGBT media?

I collected various swiss army knives for awhile. I have plenty of can-openers to last for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry799 View Post
    Don't the dykes complain to the LGBT media?
    Not those kind.

More like the Jimmy Buffet ones....

Cheeseburger & a pair'a dykes...
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

[QUOTE=Dinghy;6693117]
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy Ridge View Post
    I hav a SWING-A-WAY made in the U.S.A. can opener. Both the little gear and the cutting wheel are made of VERY good steel. It is about 20 years old.

I have had two of these. They last a long time.
    The one I am still using was a gift when I got married the first time in 1970. It's been brutally abused throughout its lifetime and is now getting close to giving up the ghost. Finding it so easy to use, not knowing how sturdy they were, coupled with very painful memories of all the bruises I suffered using my mother's metal handled Ekco, I bought a bunch on sale shortly after getting married. Over the years I have given many away as part of a "misc odds & ends for setting up a new household" shower/housewarming gift package, including one to each of my children when they moved out. I have two left attached to their fading display cards - those aren't going anywhere except my own kitchen or my estate (the grands can duke it out over them since the current Swing A Way versions are chinese made junk).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Parker View Post
    Great! Then in an emergency, each time I need to open a can I just have to grab my walker, make my way down 11 flights of stairs, rub the can on the sidewalk for a couple of minutes, manage to get back up 11 flights of stairs, and continue cooking? Sounds like a plan...

I guess I'm just a 73 year-old handicapped pussy...
    Or you could just have someone bring you a concrete stepping stone next time they visit

When it comes to being lucky finding bargains I'm the queen here. I always score at thrifting, yard sales, estate sales etc. I've got a cafeteria size can opener from a lunch room and also a wall mounted heavy duty Swing Away. I use the Swing Away and store the big one.