Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP Well, I'm back to "Remedial Prepping"
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

15 Well, I'm back to "Remedial Prepping"

You guessed it! I forgot "Murphy's Law".

Last night I was fixing chili for supper. I whipped out my trusty "manual" can opener (no electric can opener for me - the power may go out), and heard a distinct "ping" as I started to open a can of kidney beans. The can opener had opened its last can!

Not to worry. I dug out my trusty 1962-vintage P-38 from Uncle Sam and quite a few minutes later (plus a few cuss-words) managed to have the can opened to where I could access the contents. No big problem, though my hands still are sore today.

But then I started to think (which I obviously hadn't done before).

Why didn't I realize, before last night, that anything mechanical can break?
    What if the S had HTF? Lots of our food is in cans. How could have I opened them (short of using a hammer and chisel or an axe) in the long term?
    If something had happened to me, how could BHC open a can of food?

Today, I went out and bought two top-of-the-line Farberware hand-held can openers.

Now I'll be looking at other simple mechanical tools/gadgets that I/we use every day, and have back-ups for each.

Lesson learned, finally!
    If at first you don't secede, try, try again!

Yep the old: one is none and 2 is one. Good for most things we have that can break. Glad you got new can openers .

This is a great reminder for all of us 'Jonas'; great to hear from a veteran of the life-style. Newer members of 'The prepper lifestyle' often times fall into the "get it done then forget about it" frame of mind (and I was guilty of this when I first started). That is, get x-amount of 'stuff' stored away, and then never do anything else.

It's always great to be reminded that it's an on-going frame of mind, and life-style. Rotation, use, practice, etc.

Thanks for another reminder, 'Jonas'.

HB
    "The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
    Cicero, 55 BC
    Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC - 43 BC)
    "The more things change, the more they stay the same." -- popular cliché

Quote Originally Posted by sssarawolf View Post
    Yep the old: one is none and 2 is one. Good for most things we have that can break. Glad you got new can openers .
    This is exactly what I was going to say! When we went on the hunt for a manual can opener that actually works and found that they are hard tyo find, we bought several once we found a good one.
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

I have spares for most critical items. Can openers are one of those.

I love the p38/john wayne.
    That's all I used for years after I got out of the navy, you have to practice with the p38/john wayne. as their it a trick to using it.
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS
    LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Parker View Post

Now I'll be looking at other simple mechanical tools/gadgets that I/we use every day, and have back-ups for each.

Lesson learned, finally!
    Garlic press! Lemon/lime juicer. so on and so forth. I've broken many a garlic press while prepping a meal, hinge snapped right off of the press.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    I have spares for most critical items. Can openers are one of those.
    And plungers, the lowly plunger can be used for a lot of things other than unclogging a toilet!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Seen this before but never tried it but it does look easy enough. Just rub the top of the lid on concrete a few times until you roughed off a bit of the top, then squeezed.

We need a volunteer to try this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxhy8tyDxok
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

You guessed it! I forgot "Murphy's Law".

Last night I was fixing chili for supper. I whipped out my trusty "manual" can opener (no electric can opener for me - the power may go out), and heard a distinct "ping" as I started to open a can of kidney beans. The can opener had opened its last can!

Not to worry. I dug out my trusty 1962-vintage P-38 from Uncle Sam and quite a few minutes later (plus a few cuss-words) managed to have the can opened to where I could access the contents. No big problem, though my hands still are sore today.

But then I started to think (which I obviously hadn't done before).

Why didn't I realize, before last night, that anything mechanical can break?
    What if the S had HTF? Lots of our food is in cans. How could have I opened them (short of using a hammer and chisel or an axe) in the long term?
    If something had happened to me, how could BHC open a can of food?

Today, I went out and bought two top-of-the-line Farberware hand-held can openers.

Lesson learned, finally!
    How to open a can without a can opener 1:38

Cans are made with rolled tops. All you have to do in a pinch is rub your can on some cement / concrete and it will allow you to open the can by wearing away the rolled edge.

The concrete/ smooth rock trick works in under 2 minutes.
    You can also worry the end off of larger cans by alternately squishing the end at different angles.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....on-of-the-can/
    how spoiled we become. The can opener wasn't invented until 48 years after the can.

Back then people weren't such p***ies. Napoleon simply told his men "Your food is in these cans."
    If I was born in Kenya, I'd be President by now.

*My fingers are slysdexic. Damn.*
    They're, there, their. There. I know the difference. My mind is miles and miles of thought ahead of my fingers and my fingers are peons. peons do sh!tty work.:D

If you ever see a vintage Ekco Miracle Can Opener 885 in a yard sale or second-hand store, it won't look like much, buy it.
    These little beasts are amazing. You have to get the older ones, though. At some point in the 70s or 80s they cheapened the construction.
    The vintage ones can't be stopped. They look basic and unimpressive. Don't be fooled. The name and operating instructions are engraved on the metal handle. I once picked one up for 25 cents. Back in the day they knew how to make 'em.
    (1 Cor. 8:1-2) : "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know."

Quote Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post
    You can also worry the end off of larger cans by alternately squishing the end at different angles.

how spoiled we become. The can opener wasn't invented until 48 years after the can.

Back then people weren't such p***ies. Napoleon simply told his men "Your food is in these cans."
    Great! Then in an emergency, each time I need to open a can I just have to grab my walker, make my way down 11 flights of stairs, rub the can on the sidewalk for a couple of minutes, manage to get back up 11 flights of stairs, and continue cooking? Sounds like a plan...

I guess I'm just a 73 year-old handicapped pussy...
    If at first you don't secede, try, try again!

Quote Originally Posted by coalcracker View Post
    If you ever see a vintage Ekco Miracle Can Opener 885 in a yard sale or second-hand store, it won't look like much, buy it.
    These little beasts are amazing. You have to get the older ones, though. At some point in the 70s or 80s they cheapened the construction.
    The vintage ones can't be stopped. They look basic and unimpressive. Don't be fooled. The name and operating instructions are engraved on the metal handle. I once picked one up for 25 cents. Back in the day they knew how to make 'em.
    Great advice. I was thinking along these lines. New can openers are made in China and cheap garbage metals. They break after a few uses. When I visit yard sales, I look for old tools and kitchen utensils. You can sometimes find good old things that will last. And while you are there, look for silverware. I have gotten lucky before.

Great! Then in an emergency, each time I need to open a can I just have to grab my walker, make my way down 11 flights of stairs, rub the can on the sidewalk for a couple of minutes, manage to get back up 11 flights of stairs, and continue cooking? Sounds like a plan...

Ummm no, just bring a smaller rock up to your apartment to use. The point of the tip is for everyone not just for someone who lives on the 11th floor. Besides if the SHTF you would not want to stay on the 11th floor for fire safety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post

It should be noted that the cans Napoleon's army used were glass jars.

Best regards
    Doc

Or you could go to Home Despot and pick up an 8” paving stone and put it in your closet. There’s always an alternative if you just get creative.

Do as thou will, lest ye harm none

@FatTurkeyFarm on twitter

Go big or go home
    Last edited by Marthanoir; 12-01-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

The spare can openers are hanging on a nail high up in the corner cabinet - I too bought two, and just got a side cutter for my mom because she wanted one. So now there are two in use and two spares.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Marth, you pic didn’t render.

Marth, you pic didn’t render.
    On the cell phone and there's a spot on the wall that looks like it can solve a few tech problems

If you want to bring something concrete into the house to open cans, I recommend a 2 x 8 x 16 patio block. Stand it in a pail like an old timey scrub board standing in a wash tub. Most of your cans will leak juice if you open them all the way, and you'll be glad you had it in the pail. If you need to catch the juice, put a flat bowl or pan under the bottom end of the patio block and also always keep the block cleaned off after each use.

Still not rendering.

Still not rendering.
    It was the Russians

I'll get the laptop out in the morning and deal with it, it's one of those bench can openers, I got a good deal on one before from a catering supplier, the things are bullet proof and you can change out the blades & cogs, it's like the AK of the can opener world

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    Of course you do realize, that if it comes to a point in time of WTSHTF, that when a mechanical can opener becomes unavailable, that really won't be a problem because there won't be any CANS for it to open it up with!!!

I can't remember the last time I bought a can that needed a can opener, it seems all of them nowadays are the ringpull type

I visualized opening a can on a patio block, into a pail, and realized that any juice you might catch would probably be full of metal shavings. So not a good idea to save it, unless you were desperate for moisture and could strain it through a very fine cloth or a good paper filter.

Jonas Parker, that just means you have a mighty grip! Lol! V

Wouldn't a file work?
    The Social Security number is a bigger threat to Liberty than Communism or ISIS.
    Isn't it strange that we don't require our policemen to attend law school?

"If you ever see a vintage Ekco Miracle Can Opener 885 in a yard sale or second-hand store, it won't look like much, buy it."

You made me check my back up can opener, it's an 884. Nifty old fashioned beer can opener on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcat View Post
    "If you ever see a vintage Ekco Miracle Can Opener 885 in a yard sale or second-hand store, it won't look like much, buy it."

You made me check my back up can opener, it's an 884. Nifty old fashioned beer can opener on the end.
    They are beasts. Made to last forever.
    Now if we could only have some Hershey bars from back before they cheapened them. They were spectacular back when they were made with imported cocoa butter and milk from the farms circling Hershey, PA. Of course, we won't ever see those again. Too much profit with the Mexican plant and cheap ingredients. Damn them.
    (1 Cor. 8:1-2) : "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know."

I have a very soft touch for vintage kitchen utensils. I may have that 885 in the garage somewhere

Now when I need an old fashioned egg beater (hand crank), I have many. I just like everything about the kitchen tools my Mom and Grandma used. As you say, so durable they'll far outlast me. Hope whomever owns my stuff down the road loves it like I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthanoir View Post
    It was the Russians

I'll get the laptop out in the morning and deal with it, it's one of those bench can openers, I got a good deal on one before from a catering supplier, the things are bullet proof and you can change out the blades & cogs, it's like the AK of the can opener world
    One like this?
    https://www.missionrs.com/edlund-1-h...CABEgLwnvD_BwE

The kitchen I use once a week has one, I love that thing.

Your bayonet will work just fine when your other can openers fail. And, don't some multi=tools have a can opener on them.
    Boy Scout knives used to have a can opener also.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Take a pair of dykes and roll the crimp up around the outside.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Buy the best. I have a couple spares, but never needed to use to the spare ones.

Ez-DUZ-IT made in USA can openers.

http://www.ez-duz-it.com/

EZ- DUZ-IT is the BEST can opener in the WORLD!
    AND the ONLY Can Opener MADE IN THE USA!!!
    Heavy gauge chromed steel,
    Carbon steel cutting blade,
    Thick rubberized deluxe handles.
    It is the can opener that will never let you down.

Bought mine from Amazon. A little history on it:
    https://www.chowhound.com/post/bough...opener-1042261

Hey next time you're down there, bring back a chunk of concrete. Then you'll be set!
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.

("Anthem" by Leonard Cohen)

Quote Originally Posted by Martinhouse View Post
    If you want to bring something concrete into the house to open cans, I recommend a 2 x 8 x 16 patio block. Stand it in a pail like an old timey scrub board standing in a wash tub. Most of your cans will leak juice if you open them all the way, and you'll be glad you had it in the pail. If you need to catch the juice, put a flat bowl or pan under the bottom end of the patio block and also always keep the block cleaned off after each use.
    p

By the time you have done this, or hauled a small rock up 11 flights of stairs, you could have brought in half a dozen real can openers and other useful tools
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

I have several hand can openers, many never used. I can remember once upon a time when I opened a can with a knife. Not sure if my hands could do that any more. I have a p38 on my key ring, and tried to use it not long ago and could not get it to work.

In my over 50 years of adult life I have never had an electric can opener.

Judy