Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

  If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **



*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or


ALERT Cyber Monday Wix Has 50% Off Websites
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    zone 6a
    Posts
    24,740

    Cyber Monday Wix Has 50% Off Websites

    I just bought mine, a year for $150, though they also always offer free ones if you can use those.

    www.wix.com

    You get a free domain name with the paid version.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

  2. Thanks, Flipper! We use Wix for three different websites/ecommerce stores. It's awesome. For a while we had a traditional "website builder" company create and maintain a website for us, and it was fine. But we were frustrated with their lack of quick response to changes and additions to the site. It was very stagnant, since every time we wanted to add or change something, it would take two weeks (or more). Finally, we just switched over to Wix. We built an even better website, much more dynamic, and we can go in at any time and change whatever we want. It takes only seconds once you get the hang of it, and it's cheaper overall, too. When we told our Webmaster company, the owner (who we were friends with) made some snide remark about how if we ever wanted a "grown up website" again, to let him know. The fact of the matter is, with companies like Wix, those big website builder companies are finding themselves losing business. It is what it is.

    (FYI, if someone doesn't want to spend the time learning how to build a Wix website, there are plenty of freelancers on Upwork that you can hire for a short-term project. I've earned side-money myself building websites for others.)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    zone 6a
    Posts
    24,740
    I'm struggling a bit with my Wix template but I'm under a lot of stress right now and having problems concentrating, hope after next Saturday I'll be in a better frame of mind. I really like the options they have, I can even put up a blog on my site which is nice.

    I didn't know about Upwork, thanks for the tip!
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    142,714
    What’s Wix?

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    What’s Wix?
    It’s the modern day website builder. Back in the 2000s, everyone had Wordpress. But it was clunky to build and not very easy for a novice. Wix literally builds wbesites with HTML5 using drag and drop. To me, it’s not really that much different than making a Power Point presentation or something. You choose your colors, your elements, your text, and what you want the website to do. And then you drag and drop everything into place, and voila! A finished website. My husband runs his full ecommerce online store from it. They have a ton of templates, and everything can be customized. It’s pretty cool, and I can definitely see how it would be putting website developers out of business. Maybe not for the big companies, but it’s exactly what small business owners with a tiny bit of tech knowledge would want to use if they want control over their own website, with a cheaper cost.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post
    I'm struggling a bit with my Wix template but I'm under a lot of stress right now and having problems concentrating, hope after next Saturday I'll be in a better frame of mind. I really like the options they have, I can even put up a blog on my site which is nice.

    I didn't know about Upwork, thanks for the tip!
    There are a bunch of tutorial videos online, too. And if you get stuck on anything, PM me. I’ve become something of a Wix master, LOL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    142,714
    A “Wixard?”


  8. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    A “Wixard?”

    Brilliant. I may need to update my resume!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    zone 6a
    Posts
    24,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee on Earth View Post
    There are a bunch of tutorial videos online, too. And if you get stuck on anything, PM me. I’ve become something of a Wix master, LOL
    I watched a few, I've just not had time to get deep into them-I've got a big craft fair this Saturday and am having to manufacture, bottle label and develop products for it. I wanted the site up because I'm going to put it on my business cards to hand out at the event. It's ok, I'll just let them know it's not done yet, some things will be up though. I have my UPS account I need to link to the site and I need to take product photos, that will have to be next week.

    Thanks for the offer of help, I'm sure I'll be contacting you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    A “Wixard?”

    LOL, new Job Title Jubilee on Earth.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    zone 6a
    Posts
    24,740
    Do I need to charge sales tax on my online store sales for each state I sell to or just WA state tax because that's where I'm located? I know a few years back they tried to make every online store charge sales tax for each sale for every state, but there was a caveat that if the business didn't have a brick and mortar store in your state you didn't have to pay. Of course WA state got all pissed off and demanded it be paid anyway even though there was apparently no commerce law for it.

    Most places I buy from charge sales tax for my state when I purchase online, so I assume I should be also. How is that tax money disbursed, do I have to write a check to each and every state I sell to for online sales at the beginning of the year? What a book keeping nightmare if so.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    What’s Wix?
    the last i knew they were a brand of air and oil filters..

    http://www.wixfilters.com/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    142,714
    You have to charge sales tax in any state where you have a physical business presence.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post
    Do I need to charge sales tax on my online store sales for each state I sell to or just WA state tax because that's where I'm located? I know a few years back they tried to make every online store charge sales tax for each sale for every state, but there was a caveat that if the business didn't have a brick and mortar store in your state you didn't have to pay. Of course WA state got all pissed off and demanded it be paid anyway even though there was apparently no commerce law for it.

    Most places I buy from charge sales tax for my state when I purchase online, so I assume I should be also. How is that tax money disbursed, do I have to write a check to each and every state I sell to for online sales at the beginning of the year? What a book keeping nightmare if so.
    Just like Dennis said. You have to charge sales tax in any state where you do physically do business. That doesn't just mean an office or warehouse or store, but also if you have any sales reps in other states. It also means if you sell any products at trade shows or one-time events.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    zone 6a
    Posts
    24,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    You have to charge sales tax in any state where you have a physical business presence.
    I think that is the little loophole WA state tried using to force us to pay sales tax on all online purchases, they considered the internet a 'presence' if memory serves. Right or wrong, they force us to pay sales tax on online purchases whether the business has a physical presence in the state or not. Greedy buggers, they are voracious for everyone's money.

    Oddly enough, I saw that WA state sales tax rate is 6.5%, yet I've not seen that charged anywhere for years, it's 7.8% here in my town, and near 9% in Spokane. I know different cities and counties can tack on an extra percentage, and boy howdy do they, I assume I'm safe using the official state sales tax guideline of 6.5%? I got the number from this site: http://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/sales-tax-by-state.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee on Earth View Post
    Just like Dennis said. You have to charge sales tax in any state where you do physically do business. That doesn't just mean an office or warehouse or store, but also if you have any sales reps in other states. It also means if you sell any products at trade shows or one-time events.
    Ok, so only WA state, since I'm itty bitty small potatoes (my entire business is pretty much sitting on my sofa as I type).

    I sure wish they'd get hopping on that 51st state of Liberty.

    Thanks guys!
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    142,714
    I also remember the absolutely egregious car tag fees they charged. Do they still do that? A 15 year old beater would cost $500 a year to license. They said the fee was based on the “value of the car.”

    Yeah, right...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    zone 6a
    Posts
    24,740
    For those of you who sell online, which delivery service do you use? I have an UPS business account already, anyone use USPS or FedEx? Which do you find least expensive and most reliable?
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    zone 6a
    Posts
    24,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    I also remember the absolutely egregious car tag fees they charged. Do they still do that? A 15 year old beater would cost $500 a year to license. They said the fee was based on the “value of the car.”

    Yeah, right...
    Hah, the serfs revolted and got the tabs dropped to $24, then the leftist pukes discovered "fees", so now they tack on about $100 in fees on top of other crap. I wish to GOD we could get our voting system investigated for fraud, even the left side of the state was voting Trump and he was winning here until late at night, which tells me about all I need to know because the rural votes went almost exclusively to Trump and they would have been counted last.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post
    For those of you who sell online, which delivery service do you use? I have an UPS business account already, anyone use USPS or FedEx? Which do you find least expensive and most reliable?
    We don't have a FexEx in our little town. We've found that the Post Office is the least expensive way to go (and pretty darn reliable with Priority Mail) for smaller packages and boxes. We send a lot of things out in large bubble envelopes, and that's definitely more expensive via UPS. But when it starts getting into the bigger boxes, then it's way cheaper via UPS. So we use them both depending on the size of the package.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    I also remember the absolutely egregious car tag fees they charged. Do they still do that? A 15 year old beater would cost $500 a year to license. They said the fee was based on the “value of the car.”

    Yeah, right...
    I swear, that whole "annual registration" thing is the biggest scam. Here in Michigan my hubby and I have older vehicles -- a 2006 and a 2008. His costs $150 and mine is $125. For a little one-inch square sticker to put on the license plate that proves I'm "legal" to own and drive my car.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    zone 6a
    Posts
    24,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee on Earth View Post
    We don't have a FexEx in our little town. We've found that the Post Office is the least expensive way to go (and pretty darn reliable with Priority Mail) for smaller packages and boxes. We send a lot of things out in large bubble envelopes, and that's definitely more expensive via UPS. But when it starts getting into the bigger boxes, then it's way cheaper via UPS. So we use them both depending on the size of the package.
    I'll be sending out small packages, I make cosmetics, makeup, anti-ageing etc. and unless I am sending a stock shipment to a store, it should mainly be small items. I can probably do some bubble envelope mailings without problems.

    It's difficult to set up shipping prices when I have no idea what it costs to ship! I want to keep customer costs down as low as I can on shipping so they can buy more product, I know I've declined to order online because of high shipping costs I'm sure others do as well.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


NOTICE: Timebomb2000 is an Internet forum for discussion of world events and personal disaster preparation. Membership is by request only. The opinions posted do not necessarily represent those of TB2K Incorporated (the owner of this website), the staff or site host. Responsibility for the content of all posts rests solely with the Member making them. Neither TB2K Inc, the Staff nor the site host shall be liable for any content.

All original member content posted on this forum becomes the property of TB2K Inc. for archival and display purposes on the Timebomb2000 website venue. Said content may be removed or edited at staff discretion. The original authors retain all rights to their material outside of the Timebomb2000.com website venue. Publication of any original material from Timebomb2000.com on other websites or venues without permission from TB2K Inc. or the original author is expressly forbidden.



"Timebomb2000", "TB2K" and "Watching the World Tick Away" are Service Mark℠ TB2K, Inc. All Rights Reserved.