Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Christmas Gift Exchange
+ Reply to Thread

10 Christmas Gift Exchange

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated....

Christmas party gift exchange with a $25 cap.

We've done this several years now, and I have always had decent ideas, this year I need help!

I still have plenty of time to order online, suggestions appreciated !
    ...that those "who having no appeal on earth to right them, they are left to the only remedy in such cases, an appeal to heaven." ~ John Locke
    *~* Appeal to Heaven *~*
    ~Prepare for Our Valley Forge~

Gift cards can be awesome; local gas station or grocery store especially, or even Amazon.

If you have a nearby video store, consider a complete package; popcorn, candy, and a few video rentals.

Do you know who you will be buying for? If not, do you know if you'll be buying for a man or woman? Age range?

Second the gift card idea! At one Christmas party gift exchange (one of those you can swap for another's gift) the cap was $15, and the absolute most popular was a gift card for Best Buy. I'd think Amazon would be great, too. At a minimum, that works out to a CD or a DVD of the recipient's choosing.

This year we are having a chocolate themed gift exchange and yes 25$ is our limit, less is acceptable.As the grand children get older they ask to join (usually around 13)and we always let them. It's about family but gifts are nice. We get together which ever day around Christmas that is good for everyone. After Christmas we draw names and set a theme for the next year.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."

Great ideas.
    Thanks everyone.

This needs to be for anyone, man or woman.
    (Did the alcohol thing last year)
    ...that those "who having no appeal on earth to right them, they are left to the only remedy in such cases, an appeal to heaven." ~ John Locke
    *~* Appeal to Heaven *~*

A silver dollar - one size fits all

I always like a $25 gasoline card.

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
    I always like a $25 gasoline card.
    What's not to like? A bill you'd have to pay yourself taken care of means you've got $25 to spend on what you want! Or to save, whichever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    A silver dollar - one size fits all
    Some damn fool's kid would take it to the store and spend it. As a dollar.
    Relative's kids did that with some 90% quarters years back. SFB.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    Some damn fool's kid would take it to the store and spend it. As a dollar.
    Relative's kids did that with some 90% quarters years back. SFB.
    Even better, then you can give that to someone you don't like, secure in the knowledge that some idiot's kid will spend the equivalent of about $18 or so for a $1 candy bar.

How about a delicious box of Swoon the Bakery Shortbread Cookies? Just take a look at my link in my signature!

garnetgirl aka Swoon the Bakery
    Mail Order Shortbread Cookies & More!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SwoonTheBa...=hdr_shop_menu

Quote Originally Posted by garnetgirl View Post
    How about a delicious box of Swoon the Bakery Shortbread Cookies? Just take a look at my link in my signature!

garnetgirl aka Swoon the Bakery
    Garnet Girl's cookies are not just terrific but the packaging is beautiful.

I’m getting PooPourri for mine. Lol. Stuff’s awesome.

https://youtu.be/ZKLnhuzh9uY

Available on Amazon, 2 two ounce bottlesfor under $20.

a decent quality folding knife - good for either sex - if the recipient doesn't appreciate the usefulness - they can re-gift to someone that does ....
    Illini Warrior

Some of the restaurants have specials on gift cards, buy one for $25 and get an extra $5 bonus card. I think today is the last day at Carrabba's to buy $50 gift cards and get 2 extra $10 bonus cards.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Scratch-off lottery tickets.

Christmas sweater

Kroger has some really cute set of 4 beer glasses for $4. Planned on including some really good beer to go with it.
    I need to do two, so I'm thinking of a small scentsy warmer and some wax for the second one. I used to sell so I still have an inventory which I got at discount...

You might be asking the wrong crowd. Too many INTJ's here.
    Something as socially taxing and energy sapping as being included in a gift exchange could ruin us for the whole month of December.
    <Shivers>

Costco has the nice small aluminum LED flaslights (3 in a package). We did a gift exchange one year and I was given the flashlights, but the game was set up to where anyone in line could take your gift, and you got theirs. It was all fun. I lost the flashlights to an Obama head that grew curly plants out of his head. (I forget the name of them, but it's a gag gift.) I ended up purchasing the flashlights at Costco. They come in different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    You might be asking the wrong crowd. Too many INTJ's here.
    Something as socially taxing and energy sapping as being included in a gift exchange could ruin us for the whole month of December.
    <Shivers>
    Just got to look at it as a problem-solving activity. That can make it fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    a decent quality folding knife - good for either sex - if the recipient doesn't appreciate the usefulness - they can re-gift to someone that does ....
    Good start, but build on it. How about one of those car window smasher / seatbelt cutters? This one here has a built-in flashlight.

https://www.lakeside.com/Home-Improv...SABEgLLffD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Just got to look at it as a problem-solving activity. That can make it fun!
    Involves predicting human emotions. sTResS.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Involves predicting human emotions. sTResS.
    Then forget the emotions. You can't do anything about that anyway, so just try to see / meet a need.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Good start, but build on it. How about one of those car window smasher / seatbelt cutters? This one here has a built-in flashlight.

https://www.lakeside.com/Home-Improv...SABEgLLffD_BwE

budget is only $25 - a decent folder that isn't tooooo Chinese will eat that up - otherwise I'd suggested a multi-tool .....
    Illini Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions and hilarious comments!

I think I'm going with the board game Wits and Wagers, mostly because of the people that are attending party.

Thanks again!
    *~* Appeal to Heaven *~*

Even if you are low-income, you can make a difference, and you You can make mini-survival items (or kits) a part of ANYTIME gift-giving.
    I just made another Altoids tin emergency fishing kit last night, with a fire starter flint rod and dollar jacknife also included inside.

I (periodically) am (survival )equipping the people of my small Church, (under 50 adults attending each Sunday) through small, inexpensive gifts.

I began with FIRE, (since I informed them that you WILL DIE of HYPOTHERMIA FASTER than you will die of lack of water or food) and all the Church members but me, and a couple others, DON’T SMOKE, NONE of them carried any matches, lighter or easy way at all to start a fire to warm themselves and others in an emergency.

As a grey-haired old granny I can get away with doing stuff that other people probably wouldn’t, and so when I bought (credit card sized ) fresnel lenses (in bulk) and gifted each guy and single woman with one, ( and explained how they can start a fire,) I INSISTED I SEE all the guys put them in their wallet RIGHT THEN so they wouldn’t end up in a drawer at home, instead of in their pocket, IF and when someday they might need to start a fire.

This Christmas, because the SUN is an unreliable source of fire in the Pacific NW, and since I am downsizing, I will give each one a FERROCERIUM ROD, one of the HUNDRED rods I bought in bulk, cheaply, in 1999 for Y2K! (Along with a demonstration of how to use them) That, I can just hope they carry that rod in a jacket pocket.

I also found a source for 100 reliable, cheap, tiny LED keychain flashlights and passed them out. ( better than nothing). “better to light one candle than curse the darkness?”

I had to wait 3 months to get them, but I also found an inexpensive Chinese source for 100, small, liquid filled, COMPASSES that ride on a watchband, and I convinced many of them that not only is it a handy reference, but it is a good reminder for CHRISTIANS, that YOU KNOW THE WAY (TO HEAVEN) and a great opening (for sharing the gospel ) should anyone ASK YOU WHY you wear a compass on your watchband!

I am currently sourcing where I can get 100 emergency mylar blankets cheaply for them.

For $25 (and what I already have) I could make a gift BOB survival kit that would astound you.
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 12-06-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    Proverbs 18:13 Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

13 He that answereth before that he heareth, showeth himself to be a fool; and worthy of shame.

If you are not inclined to do what I suggest in the ABOVE POST,
    I suggest, for a man or woman, a gift of a SHEMAGAH scarf along with a booklet on the scores of ways it can be employed in hiking, camping, emergency, military, survival, and other situations to save your life or make it a WHOLE lot better!
    Buying that for a gift also leaves plenty of cash left for a large box of chocolates too!!
    Tactical Shemigah scarves website:
    http://tacticalgear.com/shemaghs?dl=...shemaghs%20(em)

Amazon.com: Shemagah scarves:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...emagah+scarves

https://www.aboblist.com/how-to-use-a-shemagh-scarf/
    What is a Shemagh Scarf?

Before we begin discussing how to use a shemagh scarf, it is a good idea to what it is. A shemagh scarf is actually not the original name of this type of head wrapping, in fact, it has many names; keffiyeh, kufiya, ghutrah, hattah, mashadah, chafiye, cemedani, or simply, shemagh. Although it has many different names, it is still composed of the same idea, a headdress or headscarf that can be worn atop the head, around the face, or as a scarf.

how to tie a shemagh turban
    It is usually made with a 46-inch long cotton cloth that is wrapped around or folded in such a way as to protect a person's face from the wind and sun. There are different versions that are found in different areas, some are for protection and others as a social status indicator.

Where did it Originate?

The shemagh scarf originated in the middle east, with historical records that exist saying that it was used as far back as the years 632-700, around the rise of the Islamic empire. The real factor that has made it so popular in the area was due to the environment, in which there are long expanses of arid desert with little shade. Arguable this is the civilization that is responsible for making the best shemagh in the past.

Temperatures and wind wreck havoc on anyone without protective head gear, so many shepherds, and farmers would wear shemagh scarves to keep themselves cool and dry for long periods of time in the sun. It was also used by ancient warriors going off for conquest and war.

In the modern era, it is still very prominent in middle eastern culture, as many men wear a shemagh, and many women wear a slightly different version called a hijab. It is also still a part of military apparel as well, many British and middle eastern soldiers still wear these protective head wraps during missions and assignments.

What is a Shemagh Scarf made of?

A shemagh scarf is traditionally made out of woven wool and cotton mixture, cut and created from a 46-48 by 46-48-inch long piece of cloth. This is due to the quick drying nature and the ability for the material to allow for breathing. However, it is possible to use different type of materials with different sizes, however, it has been seen that the most effective material is a cotton and wool mix, for its properties and low price.

How to tie a Shemagh Scarf?

While it might seem complicated at a glance, tying the shemagh scarf is actually quite easy. Below is a quick guide on how to do so.

Hold the shemagh scarf in front of you. Fold the shemagh in half, matching corner to corner. It should look like a triangle, with one long side and two short ones.
    Place the middle of the longest side of the triangular cloth to your forehead, be sure to have one side longer than the other
    Wrap the shorter point under your chin and hold it aginst whatever side of your face has the longer side, proceed to pull the longer side of the cloth across your face. This should cover your nose and mouth.
    The two ends of the cloth should meet right behind your ear, proceed to create a knot with these two points.
    With that, provided that you have done it correctly, will leave you with a full face covering commonly known as a Shemagh. Leaving your eyes the only thing exposed. Perfect for any situation where you might be exposed to the elements for long periods of time.

What is a Shemagh Scarf used for?

The Shemagh scarf is used to keep the head and face both cool and protected from dust and wind. This face covering is made to be lightweight, easy to make and wear, and it has mutiple uses. For example, this type of covering can act as a pillow, rope, and even a weapon. It has also been used in the military going as far back as the rise of Islam, as a way to combat the weather conditions very prevalent in an arid desert.

The cultural significance of this item is also very intuitive, as in the past it was incredibly integrated into Muslim society. An example can be seen in certain patterns that are found on specific headdresses depending on the location. Such as those from Jordan, a country in which many people wear the white and red colored shemaghs to signify country pride.

Final Thoughts

A shemagh scarf is an absolute must-have in an emergency situation, with a number of uses rivaling a swiss army knife, this should be on everyone's BOB checklist. Though it might have some bad connotations, considering the state of the world at large, usefulness transcends figured notions on particular places and ideals, such is the modern civilization we call ourselves. The best quality shemagh is the one that can handle all kinds of environmental hazards.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFHDUPlcUQ

VIDEO: "Top 10 Reasons to Carry a Shemagh for Hiking | RevHiker"
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFHDUPlcUQ
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 12-07-2017 at 01:20 AM.
    Proverbs 18:13 Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

13 He that answereth before that he heareth, showeth himself to be a fool; and worthy of shame.