Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Recipe Ham Hocks and Beans
+ Reply to Thread

Ham Hocks and Beans

My dad used to make Ham Hocks and Beans when I was younger. Does anyone know what type of beans are in ham hocks and beans? I know they are white.
    If you want to test a man's character give him power...
    (Abraham Lincoln)

Great Northern or Navy (they're smaller)

Perfect!!! Thanks Dare7!!!
    If you want to test a man's character give him power...
    (Abraham Lincoln)

There's also nothing like ham hocks and black eyed peas. Or ham hocks and split peas.( I like to add grated carrots to this before I cook it.)

Both only need salt and pepper to taste. And corn bread on the side!
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.

("Anthem" by Leonard Cohen)

If you use blackeyed peas, split peas or lentils it isn't necessary to soak the beans overnight; but if you use white beans, pinto beans or others of that type you will need to soak them overnight and/or fast track them by boiling for about 2 hours until soft BEFORE adding the ham hock or another item with salt (or tomato) in it.

What bean is "right" depends on your personal taste and/or background; I've made tons of pinto beans with ham hocks but think of "traditional" ham and bean soup as being made with white beans. Split Pea soup is awesome with a ham hock, you only need to add a few browned onions and some carrots for a perfect soup - through a base of homemade chicken (or ham) broth can help and some people like to add a pinch of mint and some cream/milk just before serving.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

TIPS

Dry Beans
    Rule #1

Avoid adding salt or acidic ingredients, such as vinegar or tomato juice, to the lima beans while they are cooking.

The addition of salt or acid prevents the beans from absorbing water, which could impact their ability to cook properly.
    If you wish to add these flavorings, do so once the beans have completely cooked.

Soaking the beans before cooking them eliminates their gas-producing side effects.
    During the soaking process, the water begins to dissolve the starch inside the beans. Since this starch is responsible for producing gas and indigestion, this simple step can help you feel quite a bit better after enjoying your beans.

Just Learned that the hard way. So went to net searches onnhard beans and found the long forgotten rule #1

Soaked dry limas overnight but still on the hard side
    Then boiled with half cup tomatoe juice to stop the white foam overflow
    And boiled and boiled for an hour
    And still too hard

So Poured off all the water and reboiled in clean water and they softened right up to in less than an hour an hour
    Then I a dded a whole large onion and a ham steak till onions were soft

Great flavor and a cheap meal

I have found that at the very least, it is important to boil/simmer dry beans for at last two hours before adding salt or tomato-based ingredients; it is even better if you strain off the "fast track" boiling water once the beans are soft. This is a method for when you forget to soak your dry beans and need them the same day; one of my books has you boil the water first and add the beans slowly but I've never found any difference.

The big thing is to not add anything until the beans are soft, then rinse them if you can and add fresh water then put in salt, tomatoes, ham etc..

All in all, I think beans soaked 8 hours or overnight (then rinsed, then cooked in fresh water) are the best, but the fast track works pretty well if you remember to rinse and then add the other ingredients later.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats