Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HEALTH Madagascar Hospitals On High Alert: ‘No One Is Safe’ From The Black Plague
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I am in a wait and see mode. I know full well that if we are one month from now talking about disease outbreaks in multiple countries, especially if they are not limited to Africa, involving thousands, and maybe even tens of thousands of dead and infected, well at that point TSHTF big time.
    One month from now is Thanksgiving, the busiest travel time of the year.

The only GOOD thing about this type of Plague is that it is very swift acting, death often occurs within 24 hours of infection but that isn't always true; not to mention as happened in the 14th century the more common form (the one spread by fleas) can MORPH into the airborne variety and obviously has (but it can do it more than once).

I am not trying to be too scary here; every 25 to 40 years this disease has tried to break out again on the world stage (I've been married 23 years and the last time was just after I got married in the UK); but this form is more worrying, especially because science has now confirmed it was the major killer in the 14th century. It rode on the back of the more common kind described by doctors, monks and painters of the time (the spots, lumps under the arms, the high fevers etc) while many of those patients died, quite a number lived (and passed on their immunity to the Black Death and for some unknown reason to the HIV Virus to this day) but the lung/airborne version spared almost no one (except probably those who had already had a milder case of the Bubonic variant of the disease).

As for face coverings, it probably isn't insanity on the part of health workers, just grim reality for them; that said real insanity is if they are not being pre-treated with antibiotics to prevent the infection (which in this case IS standard procedure) but if they can't afford face coverings, pills sounds a long way off- in which case look for doctors and nursing to start dying off in droves.

The good news - this IS NOT EBOLA, IT CAN BE TREATED; but because the first symptoms look like a bad flu it often isn't or is ignored by the sick person who dies quickly at home and infects the entire family, co-workers etc. If THEY get treated it can be stopped, but in the third world this often doesn't happen and heck in the US in say a working-class area where people have jobs but no benefits and have a real worry they will lose their jobs if they call in sick, it won't likely happen either.

Instead, just like I've mentioned in previous threads on terrorist attacks using a disease; the natural version is likely to occur where infected people go to work in their fast-food manager, janitorial, bus driving, supermarket cashier type service jobs and infect hundreds within hours.

Hopefully the news getting out will get enough resources to the area of the outbreak to get a lid on this thing; the real danger is when countries (especially poor ones) try to hide the situation until it is too late and that has come way too close for comfort in similar situations over the last few years.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by mecoastie View Post
    Here is a pdf from the CDC with the antibiotics for plague:

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/resources...(00000002).pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by mecoastie View Post
    Here is the PDF for the WHO Plague Manual. It includes treatment.

http://www.bvsde.paho.org/texcom/cd0...aguemanual.pdf

This threat can hit so rapidly there is no time to study and seek help before it’s too late. Now would be a good time to study and prepare. We can hope this threat will fizzle out as the Ebola threat did before becoming a pandemic...but even though this plague is unlikely to be intentionally imported by our current POTUS, unlike the importation of Ebola patients by the last POTUS, our luck may not hold, regardless.

Hope there doesn’t come a time when we’ll need to pin this excellent and life-saving thread to the top of page one.

Thanks for posting the WHO document.
    It is actually interesting reading.

Some history here: Wiki has an overview of the traditional dress for the Medieval plague doctor, and explains that odd beaked mask stuffed with aromatic herbs. The mask also protected the eyes with glass.

https://plaguedoctormasks.com/history/
    Found another site with better illustrations, and incidentally, this company will also express mail a costume for anyone who wants one for Halloween. Ghoulish humour which isn't really funny to me at the moment, but it does leave me wondering why I've never seen such an apropos costume for this holiday any year before. It totally fits. Hope the link works.

I was wondering what type of herbs they might put in the masks, so I went looking and found this site.

https://secretofthieves.com/?p=412

Here's a link with the ingredients of Thieve's Oil, but it won't let me copy it for some reason. It has sources, so it seems well researched. It's a company's website.

Anyway, the "receipts" lists:

rosemary tops dried, 4 oz
    sage flowers dried, 4 oz
    lavender flowers dried, 2 oz
    rue fresh, 1 1/2 oz
    camphor dissolved in spirits, 1 oz
    garlic sliced 1 drm
    distilled wine vinegar, strongest 1 gal

"Digest" for 7 - 8 days, pour off liquor, press out the remainder and filter the mixed liquids.

I got this map from CDC just now.
    Here is a 2012 article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-surgery.html about an Oregon guy who tried to help a cat that was choking on a mouse and contracted regular Bubonic Plague, but because he did not get treatment soon enough was not expected to live, but managed to pull through after over a month in intensive care. The disease finally left him with gangrene in his extremities and finally required the amputation of all his toes and part of his feet, and all of his fingers and part of his hands, leaving him with only half of his thumbs. He is glad just to be alive. A woman who was bitten by the same cat recovered fully because she got immediate treatment.
    Attached Images
    Proverbs 18:13 Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

13 He that answereth before that he heareth, showeth himself to be a fool; and worthy of shame.

STUPID, DANGEROUS, BLACK CULTURAL SUPERSTITIONS and PRACTICES PERSIST

I, at first, titled it "ignorant", but it is NOT ignorance when you have been informed of the truth and reject it, it THEN becomes STUPIDITY.

I have trouble working up sympathy for people suffering from their own stupidity, but know other INNOCENT people will be exposed because of the arrogance of the stupid who infect themselves and their own.

If you Deny, and REFUSE the TRUTH, then you deny God, who IS truth.
    Then, these STUPID, arrogant people (and their innocent children),as always, run the risk of entirely unnecessarily bringing Plague into their family, home, neighbors and neighborhood BY practicing the annual rite of digging up their ancestors bones (including Plague victims!) and unwrapping their remains and rewrapping them in new shrouds.....called "turning the bones!!! They "dance" with the dead and handle them, boozing, paytying, eating at the same time.

Read the story: https://www.yahoo.com/news/plague-al...030315028.html

Madagascar's "Dance with the dead" persists in defiance of Plague (Ed:My title)
    Antananarivo (AFP) - In Madagascar, ceremonies in which families exhume the remains of dead relatives, rewrap them in fresh cloth and dance with the corpses are a sacred ritual.

But an outbreak of plague sweeping the Indian Ocean island nation has prompted warnings that the macabre spectacle, known as the turning of the bones or body turning, presents a serious risk of contamination.

On a recent baking hot Saturday in Ambohijafy, a village outside the capital Antananarivo, a "turning" procession snaked through the streets in a fevered carnival atmospherebound for the cemetery.

For the community's few hundred residents, the time for "famadihana" -- the local name for the ceremony -- had arrived.

The unique custom, originating among communities that live in Madagascar's high plateaux, draws crowds every winter to honour the dead and to honour their mortal wishes.

"It's one of Madagascar's most widespread rituals," historian Mahery Andrianahag told AFP.

"It's necessary to assure cosmic harmony... it satisfies our desire to respect and honour the ancestors so that they can be blessed and one day return."

At the head of the procession, 18-year-old Andry Nirina Andriatsitohaina eagerly awaited the big moment as a uniformed band played on loud trumpets.

"I am extremely proud to go to rewrap the bones of my grandmother and all of our ancestors. I will ask them for blessings and success in my school leavers' exams," he said.

- 'Ask for blessings' -

In front of the family mausoleum, the assembled men dug into the earth and opened the tomb's door as women and children looked on.

One by one, the wrapped remains were carried out into the open and carefully placed on a mat where they were rewrapped, or "turned" in the new shrouds.

Oly Ralalarisoa, 45, was overcome with emotion.

"I am so happy to be able to exhume my great-great-great-grandfather. It means that their descendants can ask for blessings for the next nine years."

Relatives invite all their fellow villagers to attend the ceremony and to take part in the procession as well as musical and food festivities, but the wrapping of the body is a purely family affair.

The dead may be "turned" more than once but only every five, seven or nine years, and can be wrapped in several shrouds if different parts of the family or loved ones want to honour them.

- 'Fulfil my duty' -

Close by, Isabel Malala Razafindrakoto had tears in her eyes as she held the wrapped body of her son, who died aged just three years old.

"I'm happy to once again see my son and to fulfil my duty," she said.

The customary ritual, rather than a religious rite, can be shocking for some, but for those taking part, it is an intense celebration accompanied by music, dancing and singing, fuelled by alcoholic drinks.

As the gathering in the Ambohijafy cemetery drew to a close, the bodies were carefully returned to their resting places after one last dance.

As soon as the ritual was over, the mats on which the bodies were laid were pulled up.

Veteran participants will store them under their mattresses until the next famadihana.

Looking after the mats is often seen in Madagascar as bringing good luck.

But some doctors warn that they can also transmit germs and infections.

And, at a time when Madagascar is enduring its most lethal outbreak of the plague in years, the practice of body turning has raised fears among health officials.

Since August, the disease has infected more than 1,100 people, with 124 deaths. Officials this week cautiously welcomed a slowdown in infections.

- Digging up the plague? -

Health ministry epidemiologists have long observed that plague season coincides with the period when famadihana ceremonies are held from July to October.

"If a person dies of pneumonic plague and is then interred in a tomb that is subsequently opened for a famadihana, the bacteria can still be transmitted and contaminate whoever handles the body," said Willy Randriamarotia, the health ministry chief of staff.

To limit the danger, rules dictate that plague victims cannot be buried in a tomb that can be reopened and instead their remains must be held in an anonymous mausoleum.

But the local media have reported several cases of bodies being exhumed covertly.

Despite the serious risks publicised by the authorities, few in Madagascar question the turning ceremonies.

"I don't want to imagine the dead like forgotten objects. They gave us life," said Helene Raveloharisoa, a regular at the ritual.

"I will always practise the turning of the bones of my ancestors -- plague or no plague. The plague is a lie."

Josephine Ralisiarisoa was even more strident in her view that the plague risk had been exaggerated.

"The government in power is short of money for the next presidential poll (in 2018), so they invent things to get cash from lenders," said Ralisiarisoa.

"I have participated in at least 15 famadihana ceremonies in my life. And I've never caught the plague."
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 10-26-2017 at 02:18 PM.

13 He that answereth before that he heareth, showeth himself to be a fool; and worthy of shame.

The exact ritual may be "unique" and it is seldom practiced in modern times, but the idea of taking the bones of the dead and either redressing them or moving them about inside or outside the tomb can be found world-over in terms of archeology and anthropology.

Scientists believe that many of the dead in the "chamber tombs" of Ancient Europe (including Ireland the UK) were processed in this way; some of the early excavations reported neat piles of skulls in one place, leg bones in another, arm bones in another etc.

That doesn't make it a good idea in modern times to practice this tradition; especially when you have a scientific link to Plague on your hands; but remember this is a religious tradition for these people and therefore very hard to get people to break.

Just think of Christians in the Early Days being told: "just burn a pinch of incense to Ceaser, how hard can that be, everyone else does it except the Jews and we dealt with them already...?" I am not saying this to start a religious discussion just pointing out that many religions have "lines you do not cross" and still feel that you are doing "gods" or "the ancestors" will.

Hopefully, some ancestor will "send out the memo" that this practice is no longer required and is very dangerous to the living; but until then this is going to be a big problem in the affected area.

Remember, Ebola was first spread by a similar belief that the family MUST wash and prepare the body of a loved one; which of course, then infected those mourning the dead and created more funerals, more washing and more deaths.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

And so it begins. I looked for the total death and infected for Madagascar for today, 10-26-17 and guess what, gang: THEY AREN'T THERE!

The last total, the 124 dead and 1192 infected are all that shows up in my Ixquick search engine results.

In my previous post I said that one of the key, "we are all going to die moments," was when the health authorities started to suppress information. Yep, here we are one day after they showed the death and infection rate was doubling every six to nine days, and bingo, bango, bongo the data isn't available.

Get ready people! The fact "they" are now hiding the death and infection rate is a very bad sign in my opinion. If anybody else can find the data, well go for it.
    Yep, google search also only shows the data from yesterday. The fix is on. "they" are moving to full spin control and information management mode.
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" will soon be available for sale at smashwords. The url is
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/267340 It is also at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

So, Doug are we gonna have to start up "Camp Fooked" again, like we did with the Ebola crisis? I'll start a fire, someone bring some steaks and beer or stronger.
    "There are those who said that this day would never come, what are they to say now?" - Unknown Covenant Prophet, Halo 2 trailer.

Only A Mule is Positive. Keep An Open Mind. - Unknown

Another helpful update from husband the medical student (see the Smallpox thread for our lovely dinner table topics this evening) one of which was this situation in Madagascar; he said the transmission routes of all the forms of Plague make it highly unlikely that the practice of digging up the dead is itself the problem.

He said it is much more likely that the festivals surrounding the practice, including a large gathering of people together; feasting (as you can see in the photos) and probably the weather during the festival time of year all go together to create a "perfect" place for rats and fleas who are the usual host species.

Dead bodies generally don't transmit plague, especially not after a year in the ground because it is a very short-lived bacteria in that sense; but once you have a lot of people, rodents, fleas and food in the same place if the bacteria is there you have a picture-perfect route of transmission.

Then, once someone is infected with the usual bubonic form, it can be pretty easy for it to morph into the airborne form and again a large group of people means a large population for direct transmission and presto an epidemic is born.

Husband is not suggesting that digging up the dead is a good idea from a medical standpoint; in fact, he mentioned that if this were a breakout of Smallpox than digging up the dead WOULD be a likely way of spreading the disease, it is just that Plague doesn't work that way.

He then when on a long sedgeway about all the cultures that have similar practice which I've already mentioned here; the practice is historically quite widespread (even in Christian monastic centers of the Middle Ages or in Saint's Relics) but usually the person has been dead longer than a year so the body is "safer" from infecting the living.

My two main points here are as follows.

First, unlike the Ebola Virus the disease vector, the way it is spread, is now airborne. Airborne means you can get infected from somebody sneezing, coughing next to you. Further, it is also possible to get infected by merely breathing the same air an infected person does in a confined space, like an airplane. Ebola was spread, and only spread, by close contact with an infected person and exposure to bodily fluids, like blood, saliva and muccus. It is also the case that certain cultural practices, specific to Africa, related to the treatment of corpses also exposed people. The Black Death is now over 70 percent airborne version in Madagascar. There is no comparison between the threat Ebola posed to Americans than the threat Madagascar's airborne version does.

IF THE GUY IN TEXAS WHO WAS INFECTED AND DIED IN TEXAS HAD THE AIRBORNE VECTOR VERSION OF THE PLAGUE, WELL THINGS WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH DIFFERENT. He was living in an apartment with several people, who didn't become infected since they didn't have close contact with him, nor were exposed to his bodily fluids. If he had the airborne version they would have all become infected from breathing the same air with him.

My second point is since the above is true then the spread of the disease is easier, faster and more deadly than Ebola ever could have been. The Ebola threat to the USA was always minimal due to the disease vector, our modern sanitation techniques, our advanced medical system and the fact we don't mess with the body the way Africans do in both Liberia and Madagascar.

The threat of a global pandemic form the airborne version of the plague is much higher than from an Ebola only causing infection if you are exposed to blood and other fluids.
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" will soon be available for sale at smashwords. The url is

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gray Mare View Post
    If it is airborne and enters the body via mucus membranes, then wouldn't it be a good idea to protect the eyes as well? Goggles of some sort?

If airborne is it capable of entering via the skin pores? Is protective clothing required? How dangerous is it?
    quite right, this is what you need

Those masques didn't really do much good since fleas were jumping on their bodies and the airborne virus wasn't stopped by them; many doctors in the 14th century died at their work and many others fled when they found nothing they did was very effective.

A few things were effective but not for the reasons people understood at the time; The Pope's physician probably saved his life by insisting he spend every waking and sleeping moment between two fires for most of the entire year of the first wave; it was believed this would stop the "bad humors" but in reality it probably stopped the fleas and the Pope was lucky enough not to have anyone come near him that had the airborne form of the disease.

The Jews became targets because in some locations they had a lower infection rate in their communities than the over-all Europeans did (they still died but just not in the same numbers); many Jews were killed or burned alive in Germany (and other parts of Europe) during the hysteria but we know now that the Jewish laws on washing and keeping things clean helped prevent the rats and fleas that spread the most basic form of the disease (again it didn't protect against the airborne form, but being clean did make a difference in the overall loss of life).

One young doctor, I already mentioned saved himself by taking a lancet and opening the infected boils under his arms; while extremely painful it did allow the infection to drain out and he did live; he later tried it on others with mixed outcomes; sometimes it worked and often it didn't (probably depending on a lot of factors not understood at the time).

A couple of centuries later, one young physician again won fame by actually managed to treat some patients who lived, but then spend years traveling around in a state of despair when he couldn't save his own wife and children. We know this person today better for other reasons, but Nostradamus was famous as a Plague doctor first in his own lifetime; only in his last years as a prognosticator.

Sadly we don't have all the ingredients in his "special medicine" but we know some of them and they include some plants with antibiotic properties as well as vitamin C which would help an immune system already in recovery; he also insisted that rooms be opened up and air let in, rather than have them dark and close, which again may have helped people somewhat physical but certainly helped psychologically anyone who might have chance of recovery.

He was also working 200 years or so after the first wave of the disease since the 6th century, and many people already had some immunity by that point; the doctors in the 14th century were dealing with a nearly unexposed population (for at least 800 years plus) and didn't have even the "advances" in medicine that had occured by the time of Nostradamus to help them deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post

Remember, Ebola was first spread by a similar belief that the family MUST wash and prepare the body of a loved one; which of course, then infected those mourning the dead and created more funerals, more washing and more deaths.

Not certain about Ebola but Spongiform Encephalopathy (Human Variant of Cruetzfeld-Jacov Disease) was loosed by the New Guinea cannibalistic practice of necrophagyor chopping up the dead and distributing the body parts for consumption according to a strict hierarchy of relationship to the dead person. Not exactly "body turning" but a highly effective method of prion transmission

Quote Originally Posted by cjoi View Post
    Not certain about Ebola but Spongiform Encephalopathy (Human Variant of Cruetzfeld-Jacov Disease) was loosed by the New Guinea cannibalistic practice of necrophagyor chopping up the dead and distributing the body parts for consumption according to a strict hierarchy of relationship to the dead person. Not exactly "body turning" but a highly effective method of prion transmission
    You are correct, the local name for that disease is Kuru, but it is pretty much only spread (in that part of the world0 by ritual cannibalism of the dead.

Some scientists have speculated this is one reason why ritual cannibalism on a large scale isn't very common anywhere in the world because people who practice it (either on their own dead or their enemies) die out pretty quickly; on the other hand groups like the Yanamamo that have had version of ritual cannibalism possibly for thousands of years do so only AFTER the person is cremated; their honored ashes are then consumed by the living in a cooked food, like soup (so the person is technically partly eaten by the living but in a non-dangerous form).

We know from very early archeological sites that ancient man was not adverse to eating either enemies or kin (sometimes hard to tell which) but unless pretreated it is a "burial ritual" that tends to be self-limiting. There are theories (impossible to prove) that in New Guinea the customs may have changed somewhat in last few decades that favored the spread of the disease (either because more people were involved in the practice or become it changed in some way) doctors would really love to know but the important thing now is to continue to convince people to stop the practice, which last I looked was starting to go away just because people could see the visible results of human destruction it caused.

I suspect people in the stone age learned the same thing, at great cost to themselves and their neighbors.

Illustrations at the link...
    =================

http://web.uconn.edu/mcbstaff/graf/S...%20pestis.html

Student presentation on
    Yersinia pestis
    By: Katia Sutyak

Life History
    Yersinia pestis is the causative agent of the systemic invasive infectious disease often referred to as the plague. The Y. pestis is an extremely virulent pathogen that is likely to cause severe illness and death upon infection unless antibiotics are administered. In the past, Y. pestis has caused devastating epidemics during three periods of modern history; the Justinian Plague spread from the Middle East to the Mediterranean during the 6th-8th centuries AD and killed approximately 25% of the population below the Alps region. Perhaps the most famous incidence of any disease was the devastating Black Plague of 8th-14th century Europe that eradicated 25 million people (nearly 25% of the population) and marked the end of the Dark Ages. The third endemic began in 1855 in China and was responsible for millions of deaths.

Microbiological Characteristics
    Yersinia pestis is a Gram-negative, bipolar-staining coccobacillus member of the Enterobacteriaceae family, and is an obligate intracellular pathogen that must be contained within the blood to survive. It is also a fermentative, motile organism that produces a thick anti-phagocytic slime layer in its path.

Transmission
    Y. pestis has the ability to cause disease in rodents, insects and humans. The primary carriers of the pathogen are the Oriental rat flea, Xenopsylla cheopis, and infected rodents. The path of transmission to humans usually involves a flea feeding on an infected rodent and becoming a carrier of infection. Once internalized, the bacteria will continue to reproduce until a large blockage is formed in the midgut of the flea, causing digestion and other gastrointestinal functions to cease. When the flea attempts to feed on humans, the blockage inhibits any blood from entering the stomach cavity; instead, portions of the blockage, often containing 11,000-24,000 bacilli, are regurgitated into the mammalian host.

Virulence Factors
    Yersinia pestis encodes two antigenic molecules: Fraction 1 (F1) capsular antigen, and VW antigen. Both of these molecules are needed for pathogenicity, and are not expressed at temperatures lower than 37°C. This requirement is the main reason why Yersinia is not virulent in fleas, since their body temperature normally levels around 25°C. Yersinia is a model for studying Type III Secretion Systems (TTSS) that inject bacterial proteins into a host cell. In Y. pestis, it is the translocation of Yersinia outer proteins (Yop’s) that blocks the host cell’s ability to communicate with immune system cells and down-regulates the response of phagocytic host cells to infection. Through the TTSS, YopH and Yersinia protein kinase A (YpkA) are delivered by YopB and YopD into the host cell, where they subvert signal transduction and inhibit oxidative bursts. Also, the rough/short lipopolysaccharide (LPS) chains on the outer membrane of Yersinia mediate antibody resistance by causing abnormal attachment of membrane attack complexes (MACs).

Disease
    There are three forms of the plague that commonly occur worldwide: bubonic, septicemic, and pneumonic. Bubonic plague is easily diagnosed by the presence of extremely swollen and tender lymph glands called “buboes” that can grow to the size of an egg, and typically arise in the groin, neck and armpits. Disease becomes evident 2-6 days after infection, and carries symptoms such as high fevers, chills, headache, and extreme exhaustion. One nasty side effect is the development of gangrene in the extremities, lending it the name “Black Death”. Bacteremia and death from Gram-negative induced shock occurs in 40-60% of untreated cases, while only 1-10% of treated cases are lethal. Septicemic plague often develops secondarily to bubonic plague, and is a result of direct invasion of the bloodstream without involvement of the lymph nodes. Due to the lack of buboes, symptoms generally resemble the flu and make diagnosis difficult. In severe cases, seizure and shock can take place. Death rates for this form are 40% for treated cases and 100% for untreated cases. The most serious form of infection is the pneumonic plague, which is 100% lethal if not treated within the first 24 hours. This mode of infection is the result of inhaled droplets of infectious material that proceed to directly colonize the lung tissue. Symptoms, on top of those found in the other two forms, include a severe cough, bloody sputum, chest pains, confusion, cyanosis, shock and eventual death.

Diagnosis and Treatment
    Yersinia pestis expresses an envelope glycoprotein called Fraction 1 (F1) antigen only at temperatures >33°C. Serum antibodies to F1 are measured using passive hemagglutination assays (PHA). High titers of antibody along with correlating symptoms, such as buboes, generally indicate a positive diagnosis. Further testing may include X-rays of the lung to check for presence of pneumonic plague, examination of sputum, and lymph node biopsies. A short-term inactivated vaccine against Y. pestis has existed since the mid-19th century. Though its efficacy has never been precisely measured, field data does show that it lessens incidence and severity of disease resulting from animal transmission. The vaccine is recommended only for laboratory or field workers working with the pathogen, or persons (e.g. Peace Corps volunteers) residing temporarily in rural areas containing the enzootic plague in both human and animal carriers. Though death rates for untreated cases usually approach 100%, antibiotics can be a very effective treatment against the plague. In some instances, the vaccine will only ameliorate illness, in which case a rigorous treatment of antibiotics is administered. Yersinia pestis is very susceptible to streptomycin and chloramphenicol; however, concomitant therapy is highly recommended to avoid shock resulting from the lysis of high numbers of Gram-negative cells and the induction of a severe inflammatory response.
    Epidemiology
    The plague can currently be found in every continent in the world with the exception of Australia, though it is particularly endemic in third world countries such as India, Brazil, Peru, Madagascar, Vietnam and China. In the United States, the loci of infection are in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, California, Oregon and Nevada. There are approximately 10-15 cases a year in the rural U.S. and 1-3,000 worldwide. The last urban epidemic in the United States was from 1924-1925 in Los Angeles; worldwide, a 1994 endemic in India killed almost 10 million.

Conclusion
    The plague cycles naturally with quiescent periods that can last several years; however, it will always be found in areas of poor sanitation, overcrowding and a high rodent population. Due to these factors, it is extremely unlikely that the plague will ever be eradicated like the smallpox or polioviruses. Current research on Yersinia pestis is focused on the identification of genes responsible for transferring infection from fleas to humans, as well as the disease-causing proteins genes that allow bacterial colonization and infection in the lungs. Work is also being done to develop a fully effective vaccine against pneumonic plague and more powerful antibiotic treatments to treat infectious cases.

References
    Parkhill, J., Wren, B.W., Thomson, N.R. et al. Genome sequence of Yersinia pestis, the causative agent of plague. Nature 413, 523 - 527 (04 October 2001); doi:10.1038/35097083
    Perry, R. D. & Fetherston, J. D. Yersinia pestis--etiologic agent of plague. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 10, 35-66 (1997)
    http://www.cdc.gov
    http://www.cehs.siu.edu/fix/medmicro/yersi.htm
    http://www.ecureme.com/emyhealth/dat...mic_Plague.asp
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/8757-1.asp
    http://www.microbelibrary.org/asmonl...?id=1423&Lang=
    http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPa...nm0101_21.html
    http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/plague.htm
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

A couple of thoughts:

The aromatic herbs stuffed into the beak might have kept the fleas at bay. Many bugs don't care for the strong chemicals in plants like lavender, so, fixing the "miasma" might have worked, but for an un-understood reason.

Also, you can check with your husband Melodi, but IIRC Creutzfeldt Jacob (spell?) is related to Kuru, and both are caused by a prion, and it is my understanding that these molecules are so tough, even an autoclave can't destroy them. Therefore, cooking wouldn't work for Kuru, just as as cooking doesn't make tainted venison nor beef safe for consumption either.

Cedar oil spray repels fleas and ticks from our experience.
    ” Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man”
    Luke 21:36

COLLAPSE NOW: avoid the rush

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    A couple of thoughts:

The aromatic herbs stuffed into the beak might have kept the fleas at bay. Many bugs don't care for the strong chemicals in plants like lavender, so, fixing the "miasma" might have worked, but for an un-understood reason.

Also, you can check with your husband Melodi, but IIRC Creutzfeldt Jacob (spell?) is related to Kuru, and both are caused by a prion, and it is my understanding that these molecules are so tough, even an autoclave can't destroy them. Therefore, cooking wouldn't work for Kuru, just as as cooking doesn't make tainted venison nor beef safe for consumption either.
    Well, you are correct that it is caused by prions; and I will just say this and then perhaps we need another thread on these types of diseases?

Other researchers have hinted that the other reason the Yanamamo (and indeed probably the folks in the affected areas of New Guinia in the past) simply didn't eat bits of people all that often or in such large amounts.

Often when cultures "break down" extremes of behavior happen and it is thought this is what MAY have happened in New Guinia; but it is impossible to be certain, except we know in the past the tribes did not die out so something was different.

Burning the dead to charcoal bits may not destroy every disease but it will destroy most of them; the local population may not have the condition to pass on and/or the practice (at least in the 1970's) wasn't done for everyone who died, just special relatives of honored warriors.

Before anyone brings it up, the Aztecs were probably eating human flesh on a large scale (at least the priests) but they were really a very young empire so the consequences of those actions may not have had time to kick in; their neighbors hated their guts and even allied in some cases with the Spanish as their "deliverers" from people gone so crazy in terms of human sacrifices (instead of just using it as an "honorable" way to execute enemy warriors who fought well).

OK enough, back to the Black Death....the herbs in question on the masques may have helped slightly but probably not enough; remember this is still during the time when The Church discouraged personal bathing or even cleaning (it was considered vanity); even the wealthy only took baths occasionally and the poor had little to no access to the bathhouses they had once enjoyed, because the Church in the High Middle Ages had most of them shut down as "dens of sin."

So even if the hoods had herbs with small abilities against fleas, they wouldn't do a fig against the fleas in the unwashed clothing, unwashed bodies, and vermin that were everywhere; even in non-plague times death from diseases carried by vermin wasn't uncommon, but most people had immune systems of iron if they survived childhood, especially in urban areas.

If you want ways to protect yourself from plague, this is one case where a trip back in time is NOT going to help you much; unless you take a page from the Jewish communities with their mandatory bathing, cleaning the house from top to bottom at least once a year and no fear of cats (which were not as shunned as they were later by the non-Jewish population but they were not popular either, again being already associated with witches and other types good Christians thought they needed to avoid unless they were farmers or other folks who had grain storage to protect).

If anitbiotics fail or are not around; your best hopes are in keeping very clean, exterminating vermin (preferably in ways you don't touch the results) and quarintine; there was one entire town in the 16th century that survived an outbreak by not letting one person in or out for a year; instead money was left at the gate and goods dropped off. But by then a lot of people had some genetic immunity; and fleas do tend to get everywhere - so while this does protect against the ariborne variety it doesn't do much for fleas or infected wild and domestic animals.

Hmm, I checked yet again for today's Madagascar Plague deaths and infections. I said one of the key indications things are getting out of control would be when "the powers that be" start to suppress information.

The last figures are 124 dead and 1192 cases listed on October 25th, some two days ago.

THE POWERS THAT BE HAVE NOT RELEASED ANY PLAGUE INFORMATION SINCE THEN. This can only mean, in my opinion, the rate of increase in both dead and infected is now SKYROCKETING UP.

Yep, the plague is out of control on Madagascar. It has likely spread to one or more of the nine countries listed.

If this wasn't the case, then "they" wouldn't be lying. If the information was good, they would release it, but if it is bad, they won't.

Duck and cover, gang. One of the major criteria I use; namely, when they start lying has now been met.

I've been poking around for an hour now, can't find ANY reports after the 25th.

It's like the whole island just went dark.

Somebody with twitter access might find something.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    I've been poking around for an hour now, can't find ANY reports after the 25th.

It's like the whole island just went dark.

Somebody with twitter access might find something.
    Same here.
    I did find two articles that said the disease was "levelling off," but they gave no numbers to support it, and one claimed that it had been doing so for weeks. Well, the first case was only in August.

WHO is reporting a case in the Seychelles, victim had travelled to Madagascar. I'll try to post the entire article, but my connection is spotty (storms came through)...

http://www.who.int/csr/don/26-octobe...seychelles/en/

edit to add: Not sure now if it was really a case or a false positive.

Texas Gal, am posting the pertinent first half of the report you linked because it is huge. Notice the dates. This was weeks ago!

http://www.who.int/csr/don/26-octobe...seychelles/en/

Seychelles – Suspected Plague (Ex- Madagascar)

Disease outbreak news
    26 October 2017

Madagascar is experiencing a large outbreak of plague affecting major cities and other non-endemic areas since August 2017. This outbreak carries a moderate risk of spread to neighbouring Indian Ocean islands which is mitigated naturally by the short incubation period of pneumonic plague and the institution of exit screening measures at the airport and other major ports. For more information, see the latest situation report available from:

Plague outbreak situation reports

On 10 October 2017, the Seychellois Ministry of Health notified WHO of a probable case of pneumonic plague. The probable case had visited Madagascar and returned to Seychelles on 6 October 2017. He developed acute respiratory symptoms on 9 October 2017 and presented to a local health centre. Based on a medical examination and reported history of recent travel to Madagascar, pneumonic plague infection was suspected and he was immediately referred to hospital where he was isolated and treated.

On 11 October 2017, a rapid diagnostic test was performed in country on a sputum sample and was weakly positive. From 9 through 11 October 2017, eight of his contacts developed mild symptoms and were isolated. Two other suspected cases, with no travel history to Madagascar and no established epidemiological link to the probable case, were also identified, isolated and placed on treatment.

Ten samples from suspected cases, including the probable case, were collected and sent to the Institut Pasteur Paris and all tested negative on 17 October 2017.

13 October was the last day of monitoring of over 320 contact persons of the probable case, including 41 passengers and seven crew members from the flight, 12 close family members, and 18 staff and patients from the health centre visited by the probable case. All were provided a prophylactic course of antibiotics to prevent the disease.

Overall, a total of 1223 contacts had been registered and were followed up. Of these, 833 contacts were given prophylactic antibiotics. Four suspected cases were identified from among the contacts and were put on treatment.

Following the negative test results from Institut Pasteur Paris, all contacts who were isolated in the hospital, including the probable case, have been discharged. Antibiotic prophylaxis to the identified contacts, including monitoring of their health for symptom development has been discontinued.
    Public health response

A Crisis Emergency Committee was established on 10 October 2017, to coordinate surveillance, contact tracing, case management, isolation and supplies.

The government has allocated funds to support the Committee interventions, enabling the setting up of a temporary isolation ward (whilst the existing ward is expanded), procurement of key supplies, contact tracing, and expansion of contact tracers’ training.

Air Seychelles flights to and from Madagascar had been stopped on 8 October 2017 to reduce likelihood of further importation of plague cases from Madagascar. WHO does not recommend restrictions on travel and trade. Since 10 October 2017, the Madagascar Ministry of Health, with support from WHO, has implemented exit screening at the international airport in Antananarivo to prevent international spread. Further support from WHO and partners is being planned to strengthen measures at points of entry to avoid international spread.

WHO is advising the Government of Seychelles on the implementation of public health measures that are in line with the WHO International Health Regulations, such as enhanced surveillance, isolation and treatment of suspect cases, contact tracing and prophylactic treatment of potential contacts.

Madagascar is experiencing a large outbreak of plague affecting major cities and other non-endemic areas since August 2017.
    The OP broke the news as far as we are concerned 10/24/2017.

Mighty white of WHO to keep the world informed in a timely manner of diseases that can wipe out huge populations.

Thanks, almost ready!

Question. If I was worried about my 'fish' being infected, what kind of antibiotics should I have on hand?

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    Question. If I was worried about my 'fish' being infected, what kind of antibiotics should I have on hand?
    See posts 28 and 50

The exact ritual may be "unique" and it is seldom practiced in modern times, but the idea of taking the bones of the dead and either redressing them or moving them about inside or outside the tomb can be found world-over in terms of archeology and anthropology.

Scientists believe that many of the dead in the "chamber tombs" of Ancient Europe (including Ireland the UK) were processed in this way; some of the early excavations reported neat piles of skulls in one place, leg bones in another, arm bones in another etc.

That doesn't make it a good idea in modern times to practice this tradition; especially when you have a scientific link to Plague on your hands; but remember this is a religious tradition for these people and therefore very hard to get people to break.

Just think of Christians in the Early Days being told: "just burn a pinch of incense to Ceaser, how hard can that be, everyone else does it except the Jews and we dealt with them already...?" I am not saying this to start a religious discussion just pointing out that many religions have "lines you do not cross" and still feel that you are doing "gods" or "the ancestors" will.

Hopefully, some ancestor will "send out the memo" that this practice is no longer required and is very dangerous to the living; but until then this is going to be a big problem in the affected area.

That is an ERROR. "Famadihana" is not a religious ceremony.
    That "religious ceremony?" question was specifically addressed by local authorities in an earlier post and the article stated that it is a mere local cultural TRADITION, NOT a religiously related rite or ceremony.

It looks like the globalist spin control mechanism is now in full suppression mode. I have not found one single source with any information beyond the 124 dead and 1300 infected. Again, not a single one.

I have found a few in Africa that are dated today, but just vomit forth the same data from two days ago. Even though this article is dated the 27th, it is just a repeat from the 25th. Yep, full disease info suppression mode is now on, and we know what that means. The fact the Seychelles story was finally released tells me it likely has spread into the nine countries listed earlier.

The link is here.

http://www.channelafrica.co.za/sabc/...ascar%20worsen

Fear of plague outbreak in Madagascar worsen
    Date: Oct 27, 2017

Medical experts fear the plague outbreak raging in Madagascar could worsen as the death toll hits over 120 and leaves more than 1 300 infected.

The World Health Organisation has now issued alerts for nine countries surrounding the Indian Ocean Island, as the outbreak is considered a much bigger threat to the region than in previous years.

Many organisations are working on the ground to try to stop the outbreak in its tracks.

One such organisations is the international medical humanitarian organisation, Doctors Without Borders as Dr. Tomislav Jagatic explains...

--ChannelAfrica--

YEP. Truth is carefully kept secret because TRUTH IS POWER.

"They" now have a lot of experience with keeping disease information covered up. China did it with SARS. Saudi Arabia did it with MERS. The US did it with Ebola. WHO is a master as smoke and mirrors.

There is no way the complete shutoff of any information about Madagascar can be anything other than a sanctioned government cover up. Up until the 25th there were regular updates on a daily basis. And now there is nothing at all. For the last 48 hours not a single media source has released any information at all. Obviously, people are still dying and being infected in Madagascar.

Finally, I will note that this information blackout came immediately after "they" admitted the plague had spread to another major city on Madagascar. This was also after they admitted that 70 percent of the total infected were not being skip traced. The only story released from the Seychelles was a puff piece emphasizing how they skip traced several hundred exposed people. The reason they did that was to divert information about the 70 percent, and the spread to the other city on Madagascar.

I have been watching these elite trash for decades now. I have to say I am getting reasonably good at understanding how they operate, how they think, and what their media skills are.

It is an extremely bad situation when they go to full info control so soon.

doomer doug said:
    "It is an extremely bad situation when they go to full info control so soon."
    A lot of people have learned to read the news and look for WHAT SHOULD BE THERE AND IS MADE PROMINENT BY IT'S ABSENCE!!
    A "news blackout" of critical, timely, pertinent information draws public attention, generates wild speculations, worry, and grave fears by the obvious embargo on truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by ainitfunny View Post
    That is an ERROR. "Famadihana" is not a religious ceremony.
    That "religious ceremony?" question was specifically addressed by local authorities in an earlier post and the article stated that it is a mere local cultural TRADITION, NOT a religiously related rite or ceremony.
    That is NOT what the people interviewed indicated they said "it was a matter of FAITH" and "a matter for the ancestors."

Sorry, that IS religion; remember a lot of educated people in the third world are understandably sometimes embarrassed by the "traditions" and/or religions of some of their countrymen.

This is especially common in Africa, though I saw it in South America too; so an educated public health official (or doctor) might say "it isn't religion" because they themselves do not believe it to be religion and/or they know the Western World would find it "icky" or "backward" to call it religion.

Unfortunately, from an anthropological point of view if it is a "matter of Faith" and "the ancestors" then it IS RELIGION.

It may not be a religion that is official, it may not be a religion that the elites want to accept is in their country (and often their own families may have practiced until recently) but that does not make calling what it is an "error."

It means there is a difference of opinion within the local country/culture on what is "acceptable" as a religious belief.

In the Black Death of the 14th century, there was a "new religious tradition" of going around in groups; whipping each other, dancing in the streets and decrying sin (which at the same time often having group sex or at least that is what is recorded).

This WAS a REAL religious movement, though of course the Catholic church banned it and declared it "not a religion but sin" (or today what we might call "a cult.)

That didn't make "The Flagellants" go away; nor did it stop them spreading the very plague they thought they thought their "new traditions/religion" would bring to an end.

One mans "tradition" or even "superstition" is another man's article of faith...

That is NOT what the people interviewed indicated they said "it was a matter of FAITH" and "a matter for the ancestors."

Sorry, that IS religion; remember a lot of educated people in the third world are understandably sometimes embarrassed by the "traditions" and/or religions of some of their countrymen.

This is especially common in Africa, though I saw it in South America too; so an educated public health official (or doctor) might say "it isn't religion" because they themselves do not believe it to be religion and/or they know the Western World would find it "icky" or "backward" to call it religion.

Unfortunately, from an anthropological point of view if it is a "matter of Faith" and "the ancestors" then it IS RELIGION.

It may not be a religion that is official, it may not be a religion that the elites want to accept is in their country (and often their own families may have practiced until recently) but that does not make calling what it is an "error."

It means there is a difference of opinion within the local country/culture on what is "acceptable" as a religious belief.

In the Black Death of the 14th century, there was a "new religious tradition" of going around in groups; whipping each other, dancing in the streets and decrying sin (which at the same time often having group sex or at least that is what is recorded).

This WAS a REAL religious movement, though of course the Catholic church banned it and declared it "not a religion but sin" (or today what we might call "a cult.)

That didn't make "The Flagellants" go away; nor did it stop them spreading the very plague they thought they thought their "new traditions/religion" would bring to an end.

One mans "tradition" or even "superstition" is another man's article of faith...
    Well put, Melodi
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Quote Originally Posted by almost ready View Post
    See posts 28 and 50
    Thanks. Lost a lot of preps in the fire a while back. I'm not big on antiobiotic use for myself or my livestock. So this is one I've never restocked.

Two tidbits from husband, he may write an update later himself to fill in details but he is also fighting off this flu and probably going to bed so I'll summarize:

1. While the bodies themselves probably don't transmit plague, unfortunately, it can stay it the dirt for months or even longer; so while the bodies themselves are not a disease vector the process of digging them up probably is; he said at the very least the local public health officials should try to encourage and provide the wearing of masques and gloves when the ceremonies are performed, if people can't be talked into honoring the ancestors some other way.

2. The really bad news is that on the official health news sites there are a listing of TWO antibiotic-resistant strains of Black Plague showing up in guess where? Madagascar

The only "good" news on this is that while the strains are resistant to the common types of antibiotics used to treat the disease they do respond (so far) to some of the less common medications but one of them has to be given via IV in a hospital or field station, and neither is likely to be quick and easy to get.

If he is up to posting later, he can add the names of the ones that are working; the older medications still work on MOST cases of Plague but not on all of them; he couldn't find specifics yet on the current outbreak.

Two tidbits from husband, he may write an update later himself to fill in details but he is also fighting off this flu and probably going to bed so I'll summarize:

1. While the bodies themselves probably don't transmit plague, unfortunately, it can stay it the dirt for months or even longer; so while the bodies themselves are not a disease vector the process of digging them up probably is; he said at the very least the local public health officials should try to encourage and provide the wearing of masques and gloves when the ceremonies are performed, if people can't be talked into honoring the ancestors some other way.

2. The really bad news is that on the official health news sites there are a listing of TWO antibiotic-resistant strains of Black Plague showing up in guess where? Madagascar

The only "good" news on this is that while the strains are resistant to the common types of antibiotics used to treat the disease they do respond (so far) to some of the less common medications but one of them has to be given via IV in a hospital or field station, and neither is likely to be quick and easy to get.

If he is up to posting later, he can add the names of the ones that are working; the older medications still work on MOST cases of Plague but not on all of them; he couldn't find specifics yet on the current outbreak.
    Two resistant strains...not surprised the authorities aren't sharing info.

Thanks Melodi.
    Hope your husband feels better soon, and I'll check in later to see if he has any more info.