Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Planting Ginger Root
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ginger Root

Ginger Root

My dad just gave me some ginger root and I want to plant it, but not sure if I should do it now. Anybody know if I can plant ginger in the fall or should I wait until spring?
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Deena in GA View Post
    My dad just gave me some ginger root and I want to plant it, but not sure if I should do it now. Anybody know if I can plant ginger in the fall or should I wait until spring?
    I know someone who planted it in a pot and has it growing year round in her house.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Yes, I could do that and may with one piece, but I'd like to have it growing outside near our garden too.

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

and my portion forever.

Yes, I could do that and may with one piece, but I'd like to have it growing outside near our garden too.
    I have no idea about growing it in a garden, sorry. I have no idea what your climate is like in Georgia, and how it compares to where ginger grows natively. Hmmmm turmeric is of the same family, if you have success with ginger you could start growing turmeric as well. I hear the raw root tastes great in cooked dishes compared to the powdered stuff.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I'd love to grow turmeric as well! Its great for so many things!

and my portion forever.

Ginger is a tropical plant. I'd either put it in a pot, or hold it in the fridge until spring and plant it then. But even then, I suspect you either need to plant it in a greenhouse or a pot that can be brought indoors in winter.

Plant ginger in early spring, after the threat of frost has passed, and nighttime temperatures are above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Ginger does not tolerate cooler temperatures or frost. Cool temperatures causes the plant to go dormant, while cold, wet soil may lead to rhizome rot, which often kills ginger.
    http://homeguides.sfgate.com/plantin...oot-65239.html

USDA Hardiness Zones
    Ginger grows in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 9 through 12. In these climate zones, ginger grows as a perennial. Ginger is native to tropical regions of the world, including parts of Asia and the Caribbean. In these areas of the world, ginger is also used as a landscape plant as well as a garden herb. The small foliage of the ginger plant allows it to better use water, making it adaptable to climates with higher levels of solar radiation.

Cooler Climate Zones
    In cooler climates, you can grow ginger during the summer, as an annual plant. Plant ginger in early spring, after the threat of frost has passed, and nighttime temperatures are above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Ginger does not tolerate cooler temperatures or frost. Cool temperatures causes the plant to go dormant, while cold, wet soil may lead to rhizome rot, which often kills ginger. If you live in a cooler climate, grow ginger in containers or indoors.
    Summerthyme

I'd love to grow turmeric as well! Its great for so many things!
    Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Ginger is a tropical plant. I'd either put it in a pot, or hold it in the fridge until spring and plant it then. But even then, I suspect you either need to plant it in a greenhouse or a pot that can be brought indoors in winter.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/plantin...oot-65239.html

Summerthyme

Hmmm Deanna, do you have a green house? If not maybe this is your excuse to build one!

I have a patch of turmeric that's been growing in the same spot in a corner of my garden for years. It dies back in the winter. I harvest some and leave the rest and it comes back every year. I have some ginger growing in a pot inside. It's a beautiful plant.
    If I were to plant more I'd wait until spring.

I have a pot of ginger I started in a pot a couple years ago. Even inside it dies back in winter and it just regrows in the spring. I don't water it much in the winter, but I don't let it get completely bone dry. I should dig it up, harvest some and replant it. I tried holding it in the frig but it molds after awhile. Good luck with it!

I planted ginger in my Walapini this year. It's rather easy to grow if you can give it what it needs...

Frost will kill it.
    The temp can't fall below 55 degrees. If it does the plant will stop growth and take time to recover.
    It needs a long growing season, at least 9 months, 10 is better, 12 is ideal.
    partial shade is helpful it doesn't need full sun.
    It is susceptible to root rot, nematodes, and common root bacterial issues. So use only certified seed and "clean" soil.

Otherwise it's like most plants. It will do well in fertile well drained soil.
    Attached Images

Deena, I have some growing in my garden now. I pulled one up a few minutes ago and put it in a pot and am going to leave the other one out there and see if it comes back in the spring. I did that one year and it DID NOT come back. Now if you need some turmeric, I have plenty! It comes back every year and is bigger every year. That is why I was surprised that the ginger didn't come back as it was planted right near the turmeric. Let me know if you want some turmeric!
    Sherry in GA

"If you knew who walked beside you at all times, on the path that you have chosen, you could never experience fear or doubt again." -- Wayne Dyer

I'm in zone 5
    This is my second year growing ginger in a pot (large pot).
    Last year I planted the roots in early April and kept them indoors until it was warm enough to put them outside. I harvested them in either late September or early October, getting 3 or 4 times yield.

This year I planted both ginger and tumeric in early May and now that it's cold out, I've brought them indoors, hoping to let them continue to grow as long as possible before harvesting. The tumeric took a long time to sprout--a little over 1 month. I had almost given up on it, thinking that was dead, so it surprised me when it sent up a few leaves. I did a search online and found out that tumeric flowers are beautiful, but mine didn't flower for me--probably because the season here is so short.

Quote Originally Posted by Weft and Warp View Post
    I'm in zone 5
    This is my second year growing ginger in a pot (large pot).
    Last year I planted the roots in early April and kept them indoors until it was warm enough to put them outside. I harvested them in either late September or early October, getting 3 or 4 times yield.

This year I planted both ginger and tumeric in early May and now that it's cold out, I've brought them indoors, hoping to let them continue to grow as long as possible before harvesting. The tumeric took a long time to sprout--a little over 1 month. I had almost given up on it, thinking that was dead, so it surprised me when it sent up a few leaves. I did a search online and found out that tumeric flowers are beautiful, but mine didn't flower for me--probably because the season here is so short.
    Give it a light once you bring it indoors, I bet it'll flower then.