Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC More Americans (42%) are living alone
+ Reply to Thread

More Americans (42%) are living alone

Why America as we remember it, is doomed.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...fter-recession
    More Americans are living alone after recession

By Reid Wilson - 10/12/17 12:55 PM EDT 186

The number of Americans living with a spouse or partner has fallen notably in the last decade, driven in part by decisions to delay marriage in the wake of a recession that hit new entrants into the workforce especially hard.

Forty-two percent of Americans live without a spouse or partner, up from 39 percent in 2007, according to the Pew Research Center’s analysis of U.S. Census Bureau figures. For those under the age of 35 years old, 61 percent live without a spouse or partner, up 5 percentage points from a decade ago.

The higher number of spouseless households comes as the marriage rate declines precipitously. Just half of American adults are married, down from 72 percent in 1960.
    The average American woman gets married just after her 27th birthday, while the average man waits until he is 29.5 years old to marry — significantly higher than the median ages half a century ago.

“The median age of first marriage has gone up significantly over the past several decades,” said Kim Parker, who directs research on social trends at the Pew Research Center. “But it’s not all about delayed marriage. The share of Americans who have never married has been rising steadily in recent decades. So, part of it is a move away from marriage.”

Pew researchers said the rise in those households without a partner or spouse is not a sign that more marriages are breaking up; the divorce rate has been stable, or even declining, since the 1980s.

Instead, analysts said, the decline in both marriage and partnerships is likely a result of the declining ability of men to earn a salary large enough to sustain a family.
    “All signs point to the growing fragility of the male wage earner,” said Cheryl Russell, a demographer and editorial director at the New Strategist Press. “The demographic segments most likely to be living without a partner are the ones in which men are struggling the most — young adults, the less educated, Hispanics, and blacks.”

Russell pointed to data that shows marriage rates increase for younger Americans in connection with salaries. Fewer than half of men between the ages of 30 and 34 who earn less than $40,000 a year are married. More than half of those who make more than $40,000 a year are married, including two-thirds of those who make between $75,000 and $100,000 a year.

“The point at which the average young man becomes ‘marriageable’ appears to be earnings of $40,000 a year or more,” Russell said.
    The Pew data underscores the economic marriage gap: Adults who do not live with partners are more than twice as likely to live in poverty than those who have partners.

“Our surveys show us that one of the things that’s holding unmarried adults back from getting married is that they feel they’re not financially stable enough,” Parker said.
    When household size is taken into account, the median household with partnered adults makes far more, $86,000, than those with unpartnered adults, $61,000.
    A little more than a quarter of those living without a partner or spouse live with a parent or a grandparent. More than a third live alone, the Census data show.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence
    People are crazy and times are strange
    I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
    I used to care, but things have changed

Maybe the young men are taking note that their no more than a paycheck in modern america.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanb999 View Post
    Maybe the young men are taking note that their no more than a paycheck in modern america.
    Yep, even the article says that.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence
    People are crazy and times are strange
    I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
    I used to care, but things have changed

These are such saddening statistics that are, IMO, reflective of the breakdown of the nuclear and extended family. It bothers me a lot. Families once took care of their own, relied on each other for support and socialization and love, they looked out for each other through good times and bad, took care of their own. (I am not saying families were always perfect- but family was family.)

Wow!-
    "Forty-two percent of Americans live without a spouse or partner, up from 39 percent in 2007, according to the Pew Research Center’s analysis of U.S. Census Bureau figures. For those under the age of 35 years old, 61 percent live without a spouse or partner, up 5 percentage points from a decade ago."
    I find it interesting that the survey indicated that the the lack of financial stability is a factor that holds adults back from getting married. Speaking for myself, but I know it was true for many back in the late seventies and early eighties, most of us were not financially stable in our early twenties or so as we were just entering the work force or had not been there long. To me that was not a deterrent. What was more important to me was having someone to share my life with, not my bank account. If financial stability is something to be achieved before marriage I expect nobody will be getting married soon. I married for love and for family and knew we would, with time, get to where we wanted to be, but we would do it together, making it so much easier.

Getting through life with a family network and helping the younger generation get ahead and save money makes so much more sense. I always marvel at census reports when I am researching my family history. My ancestors had anywhere from about, give or take, 8 to14 kids. They lived in the same household until they married, sometimes for awhile after they married. When they moved they moved across town or across the street, when they died they were buried in the same cemeteries. Huge extended families took care of each other, that is how people got ahead. These days the cost of an independent living accommodation, food, utilities, car payment, insurance, cell phones, network Television, gym memberships, a tattoo or two, health care, fake nails or huge entertainment budgeting etc., will definitely prohibit anyone from getting married if they want to be financially stable. Values have clearly changed, wants and "needs" have changed.

This article indicates to me there are a lot of lonely people out there trying to make ends meet. Good luck to them. Like Packyderm said on a different thread, things seem to cycle back to how they once were. I hope family gets back to taking care of the family and family members embrace being part of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
    ...The number of Americans living with a spouse or partner has fallen notably in the last decade, driven in part by decisions to delay marriage in the wake of a recession that hit new entrants into the workforce especially hard.
    The economy, which tanked in 2009 (now eight years ago, don't we now have a record high stock market?), has been blamed for many people (read productive class) not partnering up. There are more issues surrounding this than just the economy. If economics reasons are why people don't get married, that is understandable. Weddings cost money. However, it doesn't make sense that people would date, seriously date in a long term relationship, but not live together. Rent in my area is now $800ish for a nice place in the suburban areas. $1,200+ for downtown living at a nicer place, with a few decades old buildings being able to be had for around $800. If two people are really serious about forming a lifelong partnership, legally married or not, why would they not move in together to save money? That is a better economic move.

I think we've entered a time when life long monogamy is questioned. When both men and women fear that a divorce is so likely, why get legally married. I think people get so much baggage (some good, some bad) while bouncing in and out of relationships, casual hooking up, etc.. Another person's past might be too much for another partner to handle or the person is so used to their freedom to walkaway or do what they want. The 30-something folks I know who are single usually have some non-traditional life styles that would put them on the edges of a bell curve. This includes numerous ONS, dating people 20 years their senior, dating married people, etc..

Here is a graph I posted in another thread. For the first time in recent decades, marriage rates have flat-lined. They haven't just slowed down, marriages have literally stopped occurring for folks who were born in the 80s and 90s.

Source: Allan Downey http://allendowney.blogspot.com/2016...t-getting.html

As goes Europe, so goes the FUSA.

Marriage is basically over in Europe, they go with the domesitic
    partnership thing as the replacement.

I believe its the actual word itself. Things change drastically
    when people get married, even if they were shacked up previously.
    It is like flipping the light switch on a wall, things change that quickly.

It has happened to several couples that I know.
    Everything seemed fine prior to the marriage, however 1-5 years
    or so afterwards, they are divorced.

Most married people that I know, are on their 2-3 marriages,
    and some are on their 4th marriage. They keep on trying.

Some of us wised up after the first time out,
    and once that millstone was removed from our necks,
    it was to be gone forever.

IMHO, the feminist movement that changed forever the
    relationship between men and women, is one of the reasons
    that many decide to just go it alone in this life.

It just isnt worth the hassle anymore.

Not long ago, I read an article about this very subject.
    It said that after much research, they had determined
    that their best advice, for a long life was to stay single,
    and drink alcohol.

Makes no difference any how. FUSA will be African, Mexican,
    and Muslim by 2050. White people will be all but extinct
    in the FUSA by 2100.

Please be safe everyone, and please arm up.

Regards to all deplorables.
    Nowski
    "Read everything, listen to everyone, believe absolutely nothing,
    unless you can prove it with your own research." Milton William Cooper

"Life is a glass, half empty, of spoiled milk, sitting in a bed of thorns." Nowski

Quote Originally Posted by fairywell View Post
    I find it interesting that the survey indicated that the the lack of financial stability is a factor that holds adults back from getting married.
    This article actually went further than many others in recent times. It actually went further than the marriage issue. Some have claimed that just because the marriage rate is down doesn't mean people are changing the dynamics of society. The belief was that a couple would still engage in a life-long monogamous relationship just without being legally married. Kids would be born, life would go on.

This article actually points out that isn't true. People are living alone. Blaming finances is laughable. A committed couple in my area would save $10K/year by living together. If a couple is that committed and serious, they are likely seeing each other almost daily and likely sleeping at the other person's place often. $10K/year is a lot of money. That is each party having around $5K/year to save since they both would be sharing the rent living together.

The truth is that money isn't the issue. Money is why the couple postpones a wedding. Money is why they put off having kids right away. Money isn't why a couple chooses to pay two rents instead of one. The underlying issues here are the way in which people now live. The dynamics and differing views between relationships, education after high school, sex, career, social life, and dating have a lot to do with why many people are not partnered up in any serious way. Of the single people I know of in their late 20s to 40s, only a few were likely single due to money (ie: They were the folks in your discussion about people wanting more, they were bad with money themselves). Most of them made plenty of money to at least been able to live a committed partnership with.

How this plays out I don't know. I've seen a few early 20 to mid 20 somethings buck the trend and get married in recent years. Only time will tell.

Just what the IRS/FICA income tax system wanted too. Who gets screwed the most, well there you go.

Again I heard Hannity say that if you make less than $25k a year in income you don't pay income taxes LIE! And if your self employed with no children you get taxed 15% plus compliance for as little as $500 a year in income. Single employees do too, just they don't see it because their employers do on behalf of the employee..

Then we all get taxed again when us working poor spend our after taxed labors....

Grrr, why do they all lie....

The post WW2 economy created what we used to define as the American dream.

Where a male could graduate from high school and be able to find a job that supported him and a stay at home wife..........and if they exercised prudent savings they could obtain a home and have a few offspring to raise.....

And in some cases if they were able to go to college, they would come out with a degree that could open up even more opportunities to realize that dream.

It was not a dream of materialism.....although some powers to be tried to force that consumption mentally.............but in reality it was a dream of independence to be able to find one's way in life in a fulfilling and satisfying manner.

But some didn't like that dream........and some couldn't find it...........and some felt it wasn't fair.................

Communists...........feminists............minoriti es.......and some others felt left out of that dream............

and some of the powers to be didn't like how independent and educated/powerful a specific demographic in society was becoming...............

So they all in their own way have managed to criticize it, redefine it........and in the process are destroying it.............and that's where we are at.

Also, forgotten is the high number of men who do not want a "ready made". Too many of the otherwise marriageable women have children.

Before you say it... No most of the Guys aren't fathers too. Stats prove over overwhelmingly that women largely take the asshole to bed and expect the nice guy to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
    This article actually went further than many others in recent times. It actually went further than the marriage issue. Some have claimed that just because the marriage rate is down doesn't mean people are changing the dynamics of society. The belief was that a couple would still en gage in a life-long monogamous relationship just without being legally married. Kids would be born, life would go on.

This article actually points out that isn't true. People are living alone. Blaming finances is laughable. A committed couple in my area would save $10K/year by living together. If a couple is that committed and serious, they are likely seeing each other almost daily and likely sleeping at the other person's place often. $10K/year is a lot of money. That is each party having around $5K/year to save since they both would be sharing the rent living together.

The truth is that money isn't the issue. Money is why the couple postpones a wedding. Money is why they put off having kids right away. Money isn't why a couple chooses to pay two rents instead of one. The underlying issues here are the way in which people now live. The dynamics and differing views between relationships, education after high school, sex, career, social life, and dating have a lot to do with why many people are not partnered up in any serious way. Of the single people I know of in their late 20s to 40s, only a few were likely single due to money (ie: They were the folks in your discussion about people wanting more, they were bad with money themselves). Most of them made plenty of money to at least Ibeen able to live a committed partnership with.

How this plays out I don't know. I've seen a few early 20 to mid 20 somethings buck the trend and get married in recent years. Only time will tell.
    Ravekid, For the most part I agree with both of your responses to this thread. Imo, economic reasons are not the underlying reasons why people are not marrying. It is much deeper than that. I just pray we get back to "family". Money has nothing to do with the current stats.

Quote Originally Posted by PghPanther View Post
    The post WW2 economy created what we used to define as the American dream.

Where a male could graduate from high school and be able to find a job that supported him and a stay at home wife..........and if they exercised prudent savings they could obtain a home and have a few offspring to raise.....

And in some cases if they were able to go to college, they would come out with a degree that could open up even more opportunities to realize that dream.

It was not a dream of materialism.....although some powers to be tried to force that consumption mentally.............but in reality it was a dream of independence to be able to find one's way in life in a fulfilling and satisfying manner.

But some didn't like that dream........and some couldn't find it...........and some felt it wasn't fair.................

Communists...........feminists............minoriti es.......and some others felt left out of that dream............

and some of the powers to be didn't like how independent and educated/powerful a specific demographic in society was becoming...............

So they all in their own way have managed to criticize it, redefine it........and in the process are destroying it.............and that's where we are at.
    Well said, and I sadly agree.

As a landlord I can certainly see this change in the housing market. Smaller is better

So, are people living alone, or are they merely not living with spouse/significant other?

If "kids" up to the age of 26 are still on parents insurance, then it's not a surprise if they're still flying single at 30.
    If white privilege exists, why did Senator Warren have to pretend to be an Indian?

OP:

“The demographic segments most likely to be living without a partner are the ones in which men are struggling the most — young adults, the less educated, Hispanics, and blacks.”
    I am amazed at that in quotes and am on the verge of calling BS.

Most I know... who are not in the minority (conventional marriage... man/woman/children) are shacked up somewhere having bastard babies and acting like that is the new "norm."

I am hesitant to accept the article at face.

Sadly this is more true than most of us would like to believe.

Although I think this has always been a factor in a pair bonding, it has become more prevalent with the decades old war by woman against men. Can't tell you the number of men that I've known through my lifetime that have been screwed for the screwing they did and paid for it for years afterwards without being able to be a part of the children they fathered lives.

One things for sure, if something happens that take my wife of soon to be 45 years before me, there is no way in hell I would ever consider another relationship.

And before anyone gets a twist in their panties, yes there are all to many men who also fail at becoming a real partner to their spouse. Just to many self centered individuals who fail at becoming one flesh.

One things for sure, if something happens that take my wife of soon to be 45 years before me, there is no way in hell I would ever consider another relationship.
    Hell no.

I would not marry Trump's wife if he keeled over from job stress, she became a widow and inherited 100% of his wealth.

Once is enough.

(I would keep my dog.)

Most people who earn under $25k in income do not pay "income taxes". Having said that, all pay taxes in one form or another. Self Employment taxes are universal. So, yes if you earn $400 or more you "have" to file and pay the 15.3% in SE taxes, but by law even the first dollar is subject to SE taxes regardless if it is from a W2 or SE.

Next, most people who earn about $25k or less have options to improve their income by relying on the government. Food stamps, housing, etc. The question of using those options is one of "morality" in that those of use who are older tend to say, "I can live without the government", the those who are younger think it is "free" and gladly grab hold of that money.

Lastly, you do earn more than you think, at least from the government's view.

Every dollar you get from bartering, gifts, (unless the correct forms are filled out), trades, selling of personal property, etc are subject to taxes. No one actually pays those taxes unless they are "caught" by a government agency and forced to pay those taxes.

I was in a seminar yesterday in which we were learning how to deal with the IRS when back taxes are owed. One of the big things that came to light was that currently 1 in 15 people in this country are behind on their taxes. The lecture went on to say the reason for the number wasn't due conditions being worse in the economy, but rather that computers had gotten so much better that every single return is now audited for the basics, ( income balancing, etc) that you could no longer get away with not reporting something. If you are self-employed, your return is audited and then sent off to a 2nd audit to compare the expenses verses the normal percentage costs that that type of business uses. So even being self-employed is not longer a safe bet to help reduce the chances of an audit.

This is the main reason that all governments are working so hard to avoid cash. In the US it is estimated that $406 billion dollars a year in taxes is now lost due to cash transactions. This doesn't include off the books transactions such as selling a car, bartering, and garage sales.

It's enough to eliminate the deficit this year. If all transactions are recorded, then we would be running a surplus, (estimated) of $ 500+ billion......

Things are changing

Sorry that was off topic......back to you regular programming.

Quote Originally Posted by vestige View Post

I am hesitant to accept the article at face.
    This!

This is more FAKE news.. shoddy reporter, and ATTEMPTING to force conclusions, though very many valid ones have been pointed out by our keen an savvy crew here!

FIRSTLY.. the Title of the article (nor this thread) are supported by the article. the THESIS of the article states MORE AMERICANS WITHOUT SPOUSES ...going without SPOUSES.....

WHAT does this have to do with LIVING ALONE?!?! I saw nothing in the article to support anything to do with living situations, mentions or singles or single ex's with kids, none of that was factored..

THIS STORY WAS NOT ABOUT WHO LIVES WHERE NOR REPRESENTS OR ATTEMPTS TO though the headline clearly said LIVING ALONE. Alone only means one thing. Words are supposed to be agreed upon so we can communicate.

There are a HUGE number of single-parents raising multiple kids, either baby-daddy-babies or ex-married folks, widows.. are we to assume these large percentile are to be lumped in with the "Single & Living alone" crowd?

wtf, this article doesn't even begin to answer the questions it has raised with just the headline and thesis sentence. This is sh*t "reporting" .."news" passed of as actual from a 'source' to be believe. more dumbing and numbing of our senses.

In our rapid-news cycle age many people just read the headlines. I almost didn't click, but just found it interesting at a glance because, as Realtor, Landlord, and property investor, I'm fair keen on housing market and can say, 42% is pretty day high% for single occupieds.. most young people cant afford to live alone & end up getting roommates, or shackin up in a series of "serial monogamys" ..at what point does the article considere a live-in a spouse> ouh wait, we aren't even talking about HOUSING, we're talking about commitment/spousal percentages, but HAVEN"T EVEN DEFINED a "spouse" ...except from the articles headline I'm left to believe that means living together, BUT DAMNED IF THAT WASN'T EVEN BROUGHT UP..wtf?!?

eta: forgot to bring up the rest of the headline "after recession" trying to forc your conclussion, I'd lean toward the fact this is the FIRST NATIVE DIGITAL generation and they want NOW and NOW and FASTER and NOW... relationships are pretty dang hard in the insta-gratifact world or click click click click clicky!!!!!!!
    Last edited by BadMedicine; 10-13-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    If I was born in Kenya, I'd be President by now.

*My fingers are slysdexic. Damn.*
    They're, there, their. There. I know the difference. My mind is miles and miles of thought ahead of my fingers and my fingers are peons. peons do sh!tty work.:D

Quote Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post
    This!

This is more FAKE news.. shoddy reporter, and ATTEMPTING to force conclusions, though very many valid ones have been pointed out by our keen an savvy crew here!

FIRSTLY.. the Title of the article (nor this thread) are supported by the article. the THESIS of the article states MORE AMERICANS WITHOUT SPOUSES ...going without SPOUSES.....

WHAT does this have to do with LIVING ALONE?!?! I saw nothing in the article to support anything to do with living situations, mentions or singles or single ex's with kids, none of that was factored..

THIS STORY WAS NOT ABOUT WHO LIVES WHERE NOR REPRESENTS OR ATTEMPTS TO though the headline clearly said LIVING ALONE. Alone only means one thing. Words are supposed to be agreed upon so we can communicate.

There are a HUGE number of single-parents raising multiple kids, either baby-daddy-babies or ex-married folks, widows.. are we to assume these large percentile are to be lumped in with the "Single & Living alone" crowd?

wtf, this article doesn't even begin to answer the questions it has raised with just the headline and thesis sentence. This is sh*t "reporting" .."news" passed of as actual from a 'source' to be believe. more dumbing and numbing of our senses.

In our rapid-news cycle age many people just read the headlines. I almost didn't click, but just found it interesting at a glance because, as Realtor, Landlord, and property investor, I'm fair keen on housing market and can say, 42% is pretty day high% for single occupieds.. most young people cant afford to live alone & end up getting roommates, or shackin up in a series of "serial monogamys" ..at what point does the article considere a live-in a spouse> ouh wait, we aren't even talking about HOUSING, we're talking about commitment/spousal percentages, but HAVEN"T EVEN DEFINED a "spouse" ...except from the articles headline I'm left to believe that means living together, BUT DAMNED IF THAT WASN'T EVEN BROUGHT UP..wtf?!?

eta: forgot to bring up the rest of the headline "after recession" trying to forc your conclussion, I'd lean toward the fact this is the FIRST NATIVE DIGITAL generation and they want NOW and NOW and FASTER and NOW... relationships are pretty dang hard in the insta-gratifact world or click click click click clicky!!!!!!!
    Excellent observations BM. The writer attempts to lead readers by the nose to prepositioned conclusions not supported by the presented and omitted facts.
    Proverbs 18:13 Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

13 He that answereth before that he heareth, showeth himself to be a fool; and worthy of shame.

Quote Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post
    I'd lean toward the fact this is the FIRST NATIVE DIGITAL generation and they want NOW and NOW and FASTER and NOW... relationships are pretty dang hard in the insta-gratifact world or click click click click clicky!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZBu4mtALFo

Also, forgotten is the high number of men who do not want a "ready made". Too many of the otherwise marriageable women have children.

Before you say it... No most of the Guys aren't fathers too. Stats prove over overwhelmingly that women largely take the asshole to bed and expect the nice guy to pay for it.
    Assholes to bed and expect the nice guy to pay for it............................bingo........a profound observation.

As you get older and more set in your ways, the harder it is to adapt to having someone alter your program.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable