Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

BRKG President Trump kills key payments to health insurers under ObamaCare
+ Reply to Thread

4 President Trump kills key payments to health insurers under ObamaCare

Michael R. Greco Sr.‏ @mgreco84 2m2 minutes ago

Breaking: White House: President Trump kills key payments to health insurers under ObamaCare.#BreakingNews #Breaking #ObamaCare #HealthCare

Terri‏ @SocialTerri 4m4 minutes ago

#BREAKING - Trump decides to stop paying #ACA subsidies. This drops MILLIONS off their insurance.

Welcome to Crazy Town. #Trumpcare

Andrew Peng‏ @TheAPJournalist 4m4 minutes ago

#BREAKING: Trump kills key payments to health insurers.

Obamacare bombshell: Trump kills key payments to health insurers

The payments are to reimburse insurers for discounts in health costs offered to low- and middle-income Obamacare customers

Insurers were projected to receive $10 billion in subsidies in 2018

Premiums for 2018 are already higher in some cases because insurers feared the Trump administration would end the payments

Published 13 Mins Ago Updated 2 Mins Ago

The Trump administration will stop making critically important payments to insurers who sell Obamacare health plans, a bombshell move that is expected to spike premium prices and potentially lead many insurers to exit the marketplace.

The decision to end the so-called Cost Sharing Reduction (CSR) payments came after months of threats by President Donald Trump to do just that. The news came only hours after Trump signed an executive order that Obamacare advocates said could badly harm the individual insurance marketplaces.

Those advocates, along with insurers, health-care provider groups, patient groups and officials in many states, have expressed concerns for months that the cost-sharing reimbursements would be cut off by Trump.

Two months ago, the Congressional Budget Office estimated that individual health plan premiums would be 20 percent higher than originally projected if the payments ceased. The CBO also estimated premiums would be 25 percent higher than they otherwise would be by 2020, and that the federal deficit would be increased by almost $200 billion if the CSRs ended.

The payments, worth $7 billion or so to insurers this year and up to $10 billion or more next year, reimburse insurers for discounts in out-of-pocket health costs they give to low-income Obamacare customers. The discounts must be offered by law.

However, congressional Republicans successfully challenged in a lawsuit the Obama administration's decision to make the reimbursement payments to insurers without first getting the express authorization for such spending from Congress.

More than half of the people who buy Obamacare plans on government-run exchanges qualify for reduced out-of-pocket health charges that the CSRs subsidize. Those customers have relatively low incomes.

A greater number of people, about 85 percent of all Obamacare exchange customers, qualify for subsidies that reduce their monthly plan premiums. Those subsidies, in the form of federal tax credits, are not at risk from the Trump administration action on CSRs.

In fact, those premium subsidies will offset the price hikes that are expected from the CSR cutoff for millions of people. That is, the value of the tax credit-based subsidy rises in step with premium prices — so if premiums go up, so do the subsidies.

That relationship is why Trump's decision to kill the CSRs will cost the federal government more than if he had continued making the payments.

Here's what the White House said on the subsidies:

Based on guidance from the Department of Justice, the Department of Health and Human Services has concluded that there is no appropriation for cost-sharing reduction payments to insurance companies under Obamacare. In light of this analysis, the Government cannot lawfully make the cost-sharing reduction payments. The United States House of Representatives sued the previous administration in Federal court for making these payments without such an appropriation, and the court agreed that the payments were not lawful. The bailout of insurance companies through these unlawful payments is yet another example of how the previous administration abused taxpayer dollars and skirted the law to prop up a broken system. Congress needs to repeal and replace the disastrous Obamacare law and provide real relief to the American people.

Without the reimbursements, insurers are expected to raise the prices of their health plans significantly to offset the loss of the money they have received for years.

Trump's threat to end the CSRs had already led insurers in a number of states to request higher premiums for 2018 plans than they otherwise would have requested. On Wednesday, California's Obamacare marketplace imposed an average 12.5 percent surcharge on many health plans for next year because of the potential for the CSRs to be cut off.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/12/obam...-insurers.html
    Attached Images
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Eric Schneiderman‏Verified account @AGSchneiderman 10m10 minutes ago

#BREAKING Mr. President, stop using NY families as political pawns. We’ll sue to defend #ACA subsidies.
    Attached Images

I know of no requirement for .gov to subsidize the healthcare of citizens.... low income or otherwise.

That is why Obamacare sucks so much.

Both sides were asked to play nice. Both sides did not. Now they’re forced to play nice

Can someone explain what this means in simple language? And is this related to the other thread about Trump's executive order about 0holacare?
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

It's gonna be hard to get them off the Government tit!
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Hognutz View Post
    It's gonna be hard to get them off the Government tit!

Force the issue by souring the milk!

Quote Originally Posted by Be Well View Post
    Can someone explain what this means in simple language? And is this related to the other thread about Trump's executive order about 0holacare?

Yeah...

Low income people got the costs of their insurance subsidized by the taxpayer so they could have the same insurance coverage as the taxpayer has for himself. The taxpayer gets to pay for his own insurance PLUS a big chunk of the insurance of someone else.

The payments are to reimburse insurers for discounts in health costs offered to low- and middle-income Obamacare customers
    In Obama's case he was catering to his "brethren."

Hillary was/is 125% behind the same program.

Trump knocked out a big chunk of the subsidy for those who took health insurance....

but I don't think he touched Medicaid which covers most of his brethren.

Well, it will probably go back to what it was: lots of uninsured people, and lots of other people back on Medicaid.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Well, it will probably go back to what it was: lots of uninsured people, and lots of other people back on Medicaid.
    There have been tons of people on Medicaid since it was conceived.

Just another form of welfare (socialized medicine).

Obamacare increased the number of people on Medicaid dramatically. Medicaid was where most of new "insured" people came from.

The CSRs (Cost Sharing Reductions) are payments to insurance companies to reimburse them for lowering the deductible and the co-payments for Silver plans sold on the healthcare exchange and purchased by those who have income too high for Medicaid but low enough to qualify for these additional subsidies. For example, a Silver plan that might otherwise have a $6000 deductible would have a $1000 deductible, and the co-payments are also reduced.

The CSRs are distinct and completely separate from the other subsidies available to lower income individuals and families for plans on the exchange. Those subsidies apply to the monthly premium paid to purchase the insurance itself, and they are not affected by this new executive order from President Trump.

This is not related to Trump's other executive order, which is aimed at opening up more options for short-term insurance and for group plans that do not comply with the current requirements.

Thanks for all explanations. I must have brain damage. I've never had health insurance, and my brain starts to go dim when I try to understand all this. I keep trying, though. It is clear that this is a step in the right direction....yeah?
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Let us not forget Jerome Corsi and others uncovered the illegal funding of OCare subsidies by ripping off Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and their investors.

If the idiots from NY and Californistan go after the DOJ they are opening an investigation of how they got their monies......

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Obamacare increased the number of people on Medicaid dramatically. Medicaid was where most of new "insured" people came from.
    Exactly!!!

75% of the newly enrolled on Obamacare went on Medicaid, paid for by OTHER taxpayers.
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

Quote Originally Posted by Seabear View Post
    Let us not forget Jerome Corsi and others uncovered the illegal funding of OCare subsidies by ripping off Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and their investors.

If the idiots from NY and Californistan go after the DOJ they are opening an investigation of how they got their monies......

Counter measures like that are good and get to the heart of the problem on one point with possibility of opening other hidden crimes.

From the article
    However, congressional Republicans successfully challenged in a lawsuit the Obama administration's decision to make the reimbursement payments to insurers without first getting the express authorization for such spending from Congress.

Basically Congress is the only one able to authorize the spending to fund these subsidies.
    The Obama administration did it on their own without congress.

Since Obama did this by "fiat". Trump undid it by "fiat".

MAGA!!! Trump acted because Congress was too cowardly to act.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence
    People are crazy and times are strange
    I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
    I used to care, but things have changed

Thats because O-care made millions of people with jobs pay many thousands of dollars a year in insurance premiums for policies they couldn't use because deductibles were 6,000 dollars a year. Those people ended up with expensive budget breaking insurance policies in order to pay for the poor people to have better insurance than them, with lower premiums and little to no deductibles.

One of the biggest transfers of wealth from those who work for a living to those who don't.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence

We won't get (((Gruber-ed))) again.
    "If it were announced to you that the enemy had invaded your cities, your castles, your lands; had ravished your wives and your daughters, and profaned your temples—which among you would not fly to arms?" - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

Quote Originally Posted by Foothiller View Post
    We won't get (((Gruber-ed))) again.
    Gruber did say the American public (Joe six pack working his ass off) were too stupid to figure it out.

Yep. Once working Americans found themselves paying thousands for worthless policies just so other people could have much better policies largely paid for by the government, Joe SixPack woke up and turned out to be not as stupid as Gruber thought they were.
    Last edited by TerryK; 10-13-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Now if President Trump will just cancel Congress's subsidies for their healthcare we WILL be winning! Why should we pay so congress can get their healthcare cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in OK View Post
    Now if President Trump will just cancel Congress's subsidies for their healthcare we WILL be winning! Why should we pay so congress can get their healthcare cheaper.
    Yep, they should either be on ObamaCare or have to use the local VA and wait in line like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
    Basically Congress is the only one able to authorize the spending to fund these subsidies.

Bingo! All appropriations have to start in the House of Reps. Obama did an end run and did the subsidies with a stroke of a pen. Trump just untied the knot.

#BREAKING Mr. President, stop using NY families as political pawns. We’ll sue to defend #ACA subsidies.

Good luck to them. Suing to defend funding which is unconstitutionally and illegally appropriated? They don't have a leg to stand on.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

So does this "reversal" of ObamaCare policy reinstate the 11 percent "Hospital Surcharge to Cover Uninsured Patients" - as in go back to the way it was - as in when everyone was already health insured without the tax-credits and why do we need ObamaCare?

Owner will be glad to hear that.

In the short term one would do well to NOT plan to rely on the credits.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Quote Originally Posted by SageRock View Post
    The CSRs (Cost Sharing Reductions) are payments to insurance companies to reimburse them for lowering the deductible and the co-payments for Silver plans sold on the healthcare exchange and purchased by those who have income too high for Medicaid but low enough to qualify for these additional subsidies. For example, a Silver plan that might otherwise have a $6000 deductible would have a $1000 deductible, and the co-payments are also reduced.

The CSRs are distinct and completely separate from the other subsidies available to lower income individuals and families for plans on the exchange. Those subsidies apply to the monthly premium paid to purchase the insurance itself, and they are not affected by this new executive order from President Trump.

This is not related to Trump's other executive order, which is aimed at opening up more options for short-term insurance and for group plans that do not comply with the current requirements.
    The above is correct. The term 'subsidy' can be looked at as 2 different amounts. The Tax Credits reduce insurance premiums. The Cost Sharing Reductions reduce deductibles, co-pays and total out of pocket amounts once the premium is established.

Doing away with Cost Sharing will make the really low income people have the same deductibles, co-pays and total out of pocket as everyone else, but will not change their Tax Credits, hence premiums.
    Stop asking why and start asking who

Eric Schneiderman‏Verified account @AGSchneiderman 10m10 minutes ago

Virtue Signalling of the Highest Order
    Matthew 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRock View Post

Thank for the explanation.
    Psalm 147:11
    The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

Just a heads up. The subsidies do/did not pay for poor people to get insurance. I'm one of those poor people. I make too little to qualify for a subsidy. I know quite a few others, in my state and other states, that are in the same situation. And we also make too much to qualify for medicaid. Obamacare left a giant segment of the population without coverage. But no one wants to admit that.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

Gruber did say the American public (Joe six pack working his ass off) were to stupid to figure it out.

Yep. Once working Americans found themselves paying thousands for worthless policies just so other people could have much better policies largely paid for by the government, Joe SixPack woke up and turned out to be not as stupid as Gruber thought they were.
    That's the part that really pisses me off. Yes, we would like everyone to have some sort of access to healthcare. But when you give FREE Platinum healthcare to people for nothing, while the taxpayers (who are actually footing that bill) can't even afford less than Bronze coverage, with HUGE deductible, HUGE premiums, and HUGE co-pays, that's a BIG PROBLEM.
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

Quote Originally Posted by kyrsyan View Post
    Just a heads up. The subsidies do/did not pay for poor people to get insurance. I'm one of those poor people. I make too little to qualify for a subsidy. I know quite a few others, in my state and other states, that are in the same situation. And we also make too much to qualify for medicaid. Obamacare left a giant segment of the population without coverage. But no one wants to admit that.
    I am right there with you--technically make too little to qualify for a subsidy and too much for Medicaid. The lawyer (ACA official rep) who helped me look at the plans told me to think about if I could potentially make enough to reach the subsidy minimum, since each year is looking forward instead of looking at past income. I pushed myself to reach it on paper, and I'm pretty close IRL. However, I have enough health issues (fibromyalgia, ptsd, ADHD, memory issues for which I see a neurologist next month, other stuff (*does any of it get better?*)) that I've already hit my deductible for this year and still have more to do.

I've already been told by Aetna that they won't offer ANYTHING on the VA exchange next year. I plan on talking to my HR to see if I'm close to enough hours to qualify for their insurance, but when I talked to them last year, I couldn't afford the premium they were asking.

The Government should also "Claw back" all the previous payments that have been made to the insurance industry.
    But not likely to die free

Quote Originally Posted by BornFree View Post
    The Government should also "Claw back" all the previous payments that have been made to the insurance industry.

As one member pointed out obama took the money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. So yeah they could take it back as it rightfully belongs the investors, this was theft done by obama himself.

From the article

The Obama administration did it on their own without congress.

MAGA!!! Trump acted because Congress was too cowardly to act.
    So, congress didn't put this subsidies thing in the obamacare bill that was passed??????????
    “What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” — Author Tom Clancy

Quote Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
    I am right there with you--technically make too little to qualify for a subsidy and too much for Medicaid. The lawyer (ACA official rep) who helped me look at the plans told me to think about if I could potentially make enough to reach the subsidy minimum, since each year is looking forward instead of looking at past income. I pushed myself to reach it on paper, and I'm pretty close IRL. However, I have enough health issues (fibromyalgia, ptsd, ADHD, memory issues for which I see a neurologist next month, other stuff (*does any of it get better?*)) that I've already hit my deductible for this year and still have more to do.

I've already been told by Aetna that they won't offer ANYTHING on the VA exchange next year. I plan on talking to my HR to see if I'm close to enough hours to qualify for their insurance, but when I talked to them last year, I couldn't afford the premium they were asking.
    If I could make it, the payments would put us underwater on all our bills. And we live very frugally. And I don't earn that much. Just enough to keep us above water. I don't get paid for the responsibility that prevents me from being able to freely join the work force. But that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    So, congress didn't put this subsidies thing in the obamacare bill that was passed??????????
    They did not follow the correct procedures for authorizing the payments through Congress. Obama did it with the mighty pen. So, after being ignored by Congress, Trump is undoing it with the mighty pen.

Here’s How Trump Has Silently Gutted Obama’s Legacy

Robert Donachie
    Capitol Hill and Health Care Reporter
    11:30 AM 10/13/2017

President Donald Trump has surgically dismantled Obamacare over the course of his first year in office, largely under the noses of the American public, Democrats and members of his party that have spent the last nine months trying to upend the American health care system.

Over the course of his first nine months in office, he rolled back funding for a program intended to help individuals navigate the insurance marketplace, signed an executive order to allow for groups to purchase insurance across state lines and stopped federal funding for Obamacare subsidies.

Taken in tandem, it appears the administration is working to overhaul the American health care system without the help of Congress, a body that has failed a handful of times to repeal and replace Obamacare during the first months of Trump’s presidency.

Each of these actions has a significant impact on the viability of the current health care system.

Obamacare Subsidies

The Trump administration announced late Thursday evening that it will no longer fund a crucial feature of Obamacare that helps low-income Americans purchase health insurance on the Affordable Care Act state exchanges, known as cost-sharing reductions.

“The bailout of insurance companies through these unlawful payments is yet another example of how the previous administration abused taxpayer dollars and skirted the law to prop up a broken system,” the White House said in a statement. “Congress needs to repeal and replace the disastrous Obamacare law and provide real relief to the American people.”

Under the leadership of former Speaker John Boehner, the House filed suit against the Obama administration in 2014, claiming it was illegally reimbursing marketplace insurers for CSRs.

Obamacare subsidies were instituted to help low and moderate income individuals who participate in the exchanges. To make consumers put more “skin in the game,” Obamacare effectively raised deductibles to levels that are tough for many Americans to meet without some financial support. CSRs were put in place to help compensate insurance companies for coinsurance, co-pays and deductibles that low-income consumers could not otherwise pay out on their own.

Boehner, along with House leadership, felt that CSRs required an annual appropriation approved by Congress. The House argued that because Congress had never explicitly appropriated the funds for those payments, the administration’s actions were unconstitutional. After nearly two years of deliberation, Senior Judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Rosemary M. Collyer concluded the House’s claim had legal standing and allowed the case move forward on May 12, 2016.

Over the course of the past 16 months, the Obama and Trump administrations have kicked the court hearing back. For those that side with Republicans, a troubling result of the appeal and numerous delays is that CSRs are still funded as they were when the Obama administration first appealed. Trump’s move Thursday essentially ends the debate, unless Congress chooses to act.

One of the glaring problems with abruptly stopping CSR payments is that it will likely lead to skyrocketing premiums for Obamacare enrollees. Roughly half of the consumers who purchase health insurance through Obamacare qualify for cost-sharing reductions

Consumers are already facing double-digit premiums under Obamacare, but stopping the subsidies for insurance companies means the costs that insurers are not getting covered from the government will get transferred to the consumer.

When insurance providers signaled they would drop out of the Obamacare market altogether in 2017, one of their primary concerns was whether or not Trump would continue paying out these subsidies.

The federal government was slated to pay out around $7 billion in CSRs in 2017. Obamacare consumers saw their out-of-pocket costs lower by over $1,000 through these subsidies.

Congress could still act on the 2014 lawsuit and stymie Trump’s move. If they do not, Obamacare customers are likely to see their premiums and out-of-pocket costs soar in the future.

Obamacare Navigator Funding

The Trump administration has argued that many of the Obamacare programs are merely a superluous use of time and resources, including the navigator program. As such, the administration announced in September that it would cut some of the navigator program’s funding by as much as 90 percent.

Obamacare navigators are individuals that help consumers and businesses seek and obtain health insurance plans that meet their specific needs. They also provide outreach and educational assistance surrounding the health care marketplace.

Over 70 percent of regional programs and 55 percent of statewide navigators anticipate rolling back programs in rural areas because of the administration’s funding cuts, Kaiser Family Foundation reports. The overwhelming majority, or 89 percent, of navigators expect having to fire staff because of the cuts.

Cuts to navigators are important in that the Obamacare marketplace can be difficult to navigate, even for an experienced consumer.

The majority of navigators, despite the cuts, plan on participating in the market in 2018.

Executive Order

Trump signed an executive order Thursday that charged a number of federal agencies with finding ways to expand access to health insurance plans that are outside of Obamacare regulations. The order relaxes the rules and regulations surrounding association health plans — groups of small businesses (and possibly individuals) that join together to purchase insurance. The order would also allow these groups to purchase insurance across state lines.

“With these actions … We are moving toward lower costs and more options in the health care market, and taking crucial steps toward saving the American people from the nightmare of Obamacare,” the president said Thursday.

“This will direct [agencies] to take action to increase competition, increase choice, and increase access to lower-cost, high-quality health-care options,” Trump added. “This will cost the United States virtually nothing, and people will have great, great health care.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/13/he...obamas-legacy/