Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC All my friends from High School are dead
+ Reply to Thread

9 All my friends from High School are dead

Decided to see how my old High School buddies were doing. It's been quite a few years since I've been in contact with them.

* Brian committed suicide in prison (got busted for embezzlement)
    * Josh was murdered in prison (got busted for credit card fraud)
    * Kurt inherited millions, including a multi-million dollar home in S. San Francisco that he and his dad built together. Two days after his father died, he overdosed on heroin.
    * Scott and his wife were killed by a drunk driver in Ohio
    * Jake died of prostate cancer (46 years old)
    * Angela was murdered in San Mateo, CA
    * Andy died from flesh-eating bacteria, MRSA
    * Whyn was KIA in Afghanistan

These 8 people were my only real friends through high school. I wasn't much of a social butterfly. They're ALL gone!

Take care of yourself. As long as you live, they live in your heart.

So sorry for you, that is sad and that is a lot of people to grieve for all at once. As bw said, you keep them alive in your heart.

I know just what you mean. So far I know of over 130 students from my class who have died. That is just under 1/3 of them. We get an update on our class website when someone passes and I really appreciate that. So far none of my close friends have died, but it will be 60 years next year and I expect the loss will pick up speed soon.
    What we are is God's gift to us.
    What we become is our gift to God.
    Unknown

Wow, that’s horrible. I’m so sorry that you’ve lost them all.

Get that prostate checked. They say all men will get it sooner or later, but 46 is way too soon.

I only have one friend that I keep in contact with from high school days and he is still going. A lot I knew, however, are dead. Sad to see old acquaintances pass on but.

Good advice to always remember those who have gone before and what they meant to you.

Not to exacerbate any air of morbidity I would like to share a brief (?) list of the folks that I worked with, became good friends with, thought very highly of...only to see them go to their rewards...a few, prematurely.

> Rudy - a victim of surgical mistakes. An executive, a senior citizen and a dear friend.
    > Bud - a personality, salesman and a delightful well schooled individual. I used to listen to him
    in the mornings when I was around age 5. Ended up working with him as a technician
    and field producer.

> Ron - a large and jovial member of the tech staff at several stations where I worked. Passed
    at 46 from a massive coronary brought on by kidney failure.

> Jack - my mentor, great friend and the fellow who really started my on air career. Gone far
    too soon at 48.

> Brian - One of the best talents ever to grace CT radio. I worked with him for a few years in a swing shift capacity. Passed in his 60's.

Dr. G, Ed S., Andy S., S.Z, - wonderfully talented folks with flair and humanity. Not broadcast pros, just good folks who savored every moment to be on the air and reach out to others.

> Vinny - a colleague and dear friend of amazing warmth, wisdom and humor. We made plans to go for breakfast in a few weeks, shook hands...and I never saw him again as he went into the hospital soon after. Remembering him and always will.

Back to Rudy for a moment. There was a wonderful hand sewn sign on the wall in his office which I will never forget - "The joy of living is in the here and now."

Some folks decorate our respective lives with grace, wit and dignity.
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

Wow, just wow.... sorry for your loss.

My motto is "Life is short, never pass up an opportunity" You never know how many more orbits around the Sun you will get.

State of Jefferson - On the Darkside where the cookies are...
    WOW!! Maybe it's a good thing that over the years I lost touch with all my high school and military buddies over time.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    WOW!! Maybe it's a good thing that over the years I lost touch with all my high school and military buddies over time.

If you haven't already you will eventually.

It's rough.

Many of us are getting to that age where the actuarial tables are really not fun.

Sorry to hear of your losses and more sorry you didn't get a chance to get back in touch while they were still here.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I think only two or three in my high school class have passed on. I passed on the last reunion due to lack of interest. I have lost track of most of my college friends, and even forgot a lot of names too. Too many years and too many beers. I tried looking some of them up years ago. But most have drifted off. I only maintain contact with so many people in my past.
    Official TB2K Comedy Relief ; I resemble that remark! ; Aloha Snackbar; Nuke a Gay Whale For Christ and other Political Incorrectness
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it. FRA

That's really sad.

I might be in the same boat - I lost touch with my closest friends years ago and can't find them now to reconnect.

Sorry for your loss.

Howdy, Folks.

That said - you're lucky; you had friends in high school.

As an interesting aside, I have noticed a large number of my graduating class have committed suicide.

Wonder why...

Peace and Love,

Donald Shimoda

Such sad stories! Yesterday I went to pay the rent, the landlord asked me "What happened to Janice?" I was baffled, "Janice who?" he said "Jim's Video Janice, she died last week.", it was news to me but I was out of state, then again, I don't mingle with the locals since my sisters have made assassinating my character their life's work. He told me she died in her sleep, thought maybe I knew what from because I think she was my aunt, she and my uncle were together for many decades, I assume they were married.

Life's short, eat dessert first.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Sorry for your loss. Horrible shot of reality for you. Must have really taken your breath away.

My son graduated from a small catholic High School in 2001, between 70 and 80 kids in his class. Small rural(ish) town, in the heartland along the Mississippi River. Five classmates (2 girls and3 guys) have died in the past two years of a rare form of brain cancer. Young healthy adults, (mid 30's) married with a small child or two. Not all lived here, several moved out of the area after college/marriage. These kids were very fit and active in various sports in high school- not all in the same social circles, fairly clean lifestyles by most standards. They did not live close by each other at any time, nor were any related. You have to wonder if it is from cell phones radiation or was it in the drinking water?

Close friends from high school, there were just a couple, they are long gone, various reasons.

On the other end of the spectrum...

My Dad's 92, he opens the paper to the obits section first to see what his social calendar will be.

Even that has slowed down now, he's already buried most of his contemporaries. Says that's the
    only downside to very long life, having to see so many go, even one of his children, pass first.

He's still sharp of mind, fairly so body wise, too, though trying to get him to wear one of those
    'I can't get up' beepers around his neck for when he goes down in back to his deer stand alone
    before sunrise, but he's offended at those demeaning commercials.

My brother texted last week from my Dad's place while he was cutting down last 45 yr old apple
    tree in backyard we'd all planted a dozen of as kids. I wasn't really happy about it and texted
    back asking why, he said it was 2/3rds dead already, so I texted him back with "Aren't we all".

- Shane

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT NUCLEAR DESTRUCTION!
    WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT!
    When An ill Wind Blows From Afar! (Overseas Fallout)

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy B View Post
    Sorry for your loss. Horrible shot of reality for you. Must have really taken your breath away.

My son graduated from a small catholic High School in 2001, between 70 and 80 kids in his class. Small rural(ish) town, in the heartland along the Mississippi River. Five classmates (2 girls and3 guys) have died in the past two years of a rare form of brain cancer. Young healthy adults, (mid 30's) married with a small child or two. Not all lived here, several moved out of the area after college/marriage. These kids were very fit and active in various sports in high school- not all in the same social circles, fairly clean lifestyles by most standards. They did not live close by each other at any time, nor were any related. You have to wonder if it is from cell phones radiation or was it in the drinking water?
    Geez, 5 young adults all in mid 30's from rare brain cancer, out of a class of just 70 - 80. How Tragic. What horrible odds, it certainly does make one wonder about the drinking water or some other "something".

reminded me of the statler brothers song

class of 57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=nTncxKtu9PU

My 2 best friends are gone. I feel "left behind".
    Shop Amazon At 35,000 Feet On JetBlue Airways With JetBlue's Fast WiFi And Earn TrueBlue Points https://trueblue.jetblue.com/web/trueblue/amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
    These 8 people were my only real friends through high school. I wasn't much of a social butterfly. They're ALL gone!
    I also was fairly low-key in high school. I had about three close friends, one who disappeared because he had a girlfriend, but would come and go off and on. I had a lot more second tier friendships, but overall just three other guys I hung out with outside of school (I also hung out with my cousins to some extent). We are all in our early 40s now. It is crazy so many of your close friends died, and how they passed as well. Some of the people in my graduating class have passed under similar circumstances.

I've watched 100s I knew in high school pass on.......many of them friends like you had............

One thing I've done is make new friends that are many years younger than me...............for me it was because many of the things that still interest me hold something in common with younger folks....like playing the electric guitar for instance......or liking certain type of auto racing.....

Find people who have things in common with you and make new friends regardless of their age.........the bond will be what you enjoy together and many of them younger than you will be around for the rest of your life.

Most of my friends from high school were dead 40 years ago - not long after graduation - if they made it that far. An interesting group that I hung out with...
    At least some of yours had a few years run.

Wow, Rattlehead, that is awful! Where did you go to school? All my HS friends are still alive (we are all 61-62 years old). I did have a (boy) friend that went to the other HS in town that died a few years back from a heart attack, but he was a physician. That seems to lower your life expectancy significantly.

Rattle head, sorry for your loss. This is very interesting thread for me to read right now as I'm driving back to my hometown to attend my high school's 40 year reunion. Out of a class of about 350, about 60 are attending. I expected most of the rest of them I've gone around the country to find their Fortune, but this thread makes me wonder how many may have actually passed. I went to the first reunion right after college but have not contacted any of them really sense. So I'm going kind of out of a sense of curiosity. Due to an interesting way shape School District, I was bust to the wealthy School in town. Some of these kids parents had jets that flew them down to their homes in Bermuda and Barbados on spring break. Didn't get along super well, but will be interesting to see what time has done with them.
    Somewhere in the clouds, Your peak is shining, Have courage and go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_cqbxF0cg

At least you HAD friends in High School. I ran with the older crowd from Orchestra. Not in touch with any of them any more. I see a former co-worker about every week when I go to the store that was in my class and we are more friends now than when we were in school.

Saw another former classmate a week ago and he had kidney problems from the time he was a little shaver. Got a donated kidney 12 yrs ago and now it's failing. He's always been such a sweet guy.

Mostly I see obits of the parents of my classmates. Once-in-a-while I'll catch one that has passed and it surprises me. There have been about 15 that I know of that have passes. I'm sure there's more, I just am not aware.
    And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. Luke 21:28

Preparing a People to Meet Jesus

Revelation 14:6-12

Click here for a FREE book - Absolutely NO Obligation:

http://www.3asdchurch.org/free.htm

One by one we all slip away and its hardest of all to be the last of the old gang from the stomping grounds.

Its autumn and the season for doorways and portals, stirs us all with its melancholia watching the leaves fade then fall.

If you can start a little book collection to donate for the school library of all your buddy's favorite DVD's and tv shows or endow a scholarship fund with the adult children of your deceased alumni for your alma mater. That way every graduation the recipient of the award will get their names mentioned. Something you guys loved or were good at, maybe a fund for some kid to pursue automotive repair or HVAC at the local community college. A little gift for kids going into law enforcement or military.

How you honor their memory can make a difference. Sounds like you loved them and cherished your good times together.

i have one friend left from our group that is still around .we lived on base housing .they where army brats .the one i still have contact with is a prepper ..only close friend left from high school .they where brass and staff nco,s kids when i lived there as civi .

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
    Decided to see how my old High School buddies were doing. It's been quite a few years since I've been in contact with them.

* Brian committed suicide in prison (got busted for embezzlement)
    * Josh was murdered in prison (got busted for credit card fraud)
    * Kurt inherited millions, including a multi-million dollar home in S. San Francisco that he and his dad built together. Two days after his father died, he overdosed on heroin.
    * Scott and his wife were killed by a drunk driver in Ohio
    * Jake died of prostate cancer (46 years old)
    * Angela was murdered in San Mateo, CA
    * Andy died from flesh-eating bacteria, MRSA
    * Whyn was KIA in Afghanistan

PRAYERS FOR GOD'S PEACE FOR YOU! AMEN