Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Help Blackberry Prep for Winter
+ Reply to Thread

5 Blackberry Prep for Winter

Am in Kentucky. Have a patch of blackberry's planted about 4 year ago. No berries yet. Shoots ( not sure of proper term ) are about 4 ft high. Originally planted 4 plants, bought at Wal Mart. Patch has spread out, plenty of new shoots. About 8 ft by 5 ft. Looks healthy.

For winter, should I trim / cut down, or what ?

Thanks in advance !

Regards, No Dandy

Have you tried using your local Extension service to find out?

http://www.ca.uky.edu/

If you can't find anything listed you can probably email a local agent for your county and ask them

I did when my hubby mowed down my blueberry bushes
    Genevieve THE EVIL ONE is in HAPPY EVIL LAND!!..........shaking my head at adults who act like children

Thanks for the advice Genevieve. I will post what they tell me. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    Have you tried using your local Extension service to find out?

http://www.ca.uky.edu/

If you can't find anything listed you can probably email a local agent for your county and ask them

I did when my hubby mowed down my blueberry bushes
    Thanks Genevieve, finally got hold of them. They told me to just go through and cut out the dead or unhealthy looking stuff. Then, in the spring, to cut it all down to the ground, and it would come back good. They are mailing me a small booklet they have on it.

Thanks

We're in central Illinois and the fourth year since we planted our Walmart blackberry canes. This summer was our first real harvest, about two gallons total from two plants. When my husband planted the blackberries, grapevines, and the apple tree he also planted fish heads or a junk fish along with the the plants. He also side dresses with another fish head every three to four years. Until this year, which was a poor year all around for us, we had mega yields. He'll need to go fishing next spring.
    I survived Cap's coffee!

Old folks might not like change, but younguns are seldom satisfied!

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    We're in central Illinois and the fourth year since we planted our Walmart blackberry canes. This summer was our first real harvest, about two gallons total from two plants. When my husband planted the blackberries, grapevines, and the apple tree he also planted fish heads or a junk fish along with the the plants. He also side dresses with another fish head every three to four years. Until this year, which was a poor year all around for us, we had mega yields. He'll need to go fishing next spring.
    I had always heard that the early American Indians did that when planting corn, etc, and that it was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDandy View Post
    I had always heard that the early American Indians did that when planting corn, etc, and that it was helpful.
    My grandmother who was Native American did that when she planted corn since corn is such a heavy feeder. My husband's grandfather taught him to do that to permanent plantings. He is Cajun/Choctaw.
    I survived Cap's coffee!

Old folks might not like change, but younguns are seldom satisfied!

I have the thornless blackberries. Every year after the berries are done, I cut the vanes that had berries off, the other vanes that are growing since spring will be next years berry producers. I train the vanes along my deck's outside wall to where I can easily pick the berries next year.
    'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the
    way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes
    the difference.' Edna Ellison

I cut out all the branches that had berries on this year. Then I cut back the tips on each of the new ones. That will make them branch out and have more berries next year. I feed them with fish emulsion several times, starting in early spring.
    I could make it cheaper!!!