Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

  If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **



*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or


Really Gardening ... Grapes .. need help
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    965

    Really Gardening ... Grapes .. need help

    This was 2nd year for my grape vines. They were super healthy and grew like crazy. There were TONS of little grape clusters but they all disappeared. I don't see them on the ground; don't see that birds pecked them; haven't seen anything that could have gotten in there and swiped ALL those clusters.

    Appreciate your input.

    ps... did not see the Gardening prefix???
    yarnball

    This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
    Psalms 118:24

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    'murKKa - FEMA region IV
    Posts
    4,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarnball View Post
    This was 2nd year for my grape vines. They were super healthy and grew like crazy. There were TONS of little grape clusters but they all disappeared. I don't see them on the ground; don't see that birds pecked them; haven't seen anything that could have gotten in there and swiped ALL those clusters.

    Appreciate your input.

    ps... did not see the Gardening prefix???
    DEER
    TURKEY


    the grapes are us gang
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

    Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    N. Minnesota
    Posts
    9,905
    The birds will come when you don't see them. So will the squirrels.

  4. #4
    Do grapes require pollination? I was told my pears didn't produce the last two years because there were no bees for them at blossom time. All the little nubs that would have formed pears just withered up and sort of disappeared.

  5. #5
    It was birds. Trust me, it was. The only grapes I have that they don't seem to get taken by the birds are the muscadines. Put bird netting over them next year as soon as you see signs of fruiting. Don't take it down until you are done harvesting. One pick your own place here doesn't take it down at all. They just roll it up to the top of the posts for fall pruning and then lower it back down. After that it's left down.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

    http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,695
    Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    The birds will come when you don't see them. So will the squirrels.
    This^^^ And they arrive typically around 3:30 am to do their harvesting.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    965
    Ok, then. I'm going with the group and hating the birds! Thank you!
    yarnball

    This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
    Psalms 118:24

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Central Illinois..halfway between here and there.
    Posts
    9,083
    I've had beautiful grape vine for the last five years. Only grapes I've ever gotten from it were a couple of clusters the second year. I've pretty much come to grips with the fact that it's going to be a pretty vine and those stupid squirrels are having a feast!
    Needs more cowbell.
    "The Constitution only gives people the right to persue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin
    Proud member of fly-over country

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    10,349
    Shoot, wish I could give you mine. I seem to be loaded with them this year and the vines are 10 to 15 years. The grapes are pretty covered over with leaves so no birds seem to bother them. I wanted to make jelly preserves at one point but I've been so overwhelmed with food preserving this year that again I probably won't get to them. It's a shame really but my God, I'm only one person with not enough time. lol

    I would say netting over them too if you're having no fruit. The birds here wiped out my big elderberry bush this year but they didn't get my blueberries. Thankfully I still have all I need from last year and each year it seems one crop or another has problems but it's made up in others. It's just the nature of gardening.
    "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." Hippocrates

    My Music page https://poorboyproductions.bandcamp.com/

    The fact that we have a "Highway To Hell" and a "Stairway To Heaven" says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    10,349
    Josie, are you trimming it way back? The more I cut mine, the more grapes it produces. The first time I really went crazy cutting them back as they were literally taking over, I cut so much that they looked like they weren't gonna make it. They flourished after that. Pretty amazing really.
    "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." Hippocrates

    My Music page https://poorboyproductions.bandcamp.com/

    The fact that we have a "Highway To Hell" and a "Stairway To Heaven" says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I've had beautiful grape vine for the last five years. Only grapes I've ever gotten from it were a couple of clusters the second year. I've pretty much come to grips with the fact that it's going to be a pretty vine and those stupid squirrels are having a feast!
    We have the same problem with our grape vine and one of our cherry trees. Birds, squirrels, insects, etc., beat us to the fruit every single time. I swear the only reason I plant cherry tomato plants at this point is to keep the chipmunks from eating the large tomatoes.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    965
    Where is the Gardening forum now? I cannot seem to find it.
    yarnball

    This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
    Psalms 118:24

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    Shoot, wish I could give you mine. I seem to be loaded with them this year and the vines are 10 to 15 years. The grapes are pretty covered over with leaves so no birds seem to bother them. I wanted to make jelly preserves at one point but I've been so overwhelmed with food preserving this year that again I probably won't get to them. It's a shame really but my God, I'm only one person with not enough time. lol

    I would say netting over them too if you're having no fruit. The birds here wiped out my big elderberry bush this year but they didn't get my blueberries. Thankfully I still have all I need from last year and each year it seems one crop or another has problems but it's made up in others. It's just the nature of gardening.
    Vicki... you can can them for grape juice SO fast and easy...

    Just put 1 cup grapes into a quart jar. Add 1/2 cup sugar (you could probably use a mild flavored honey if you wanted) Top off the jar with boiling water. Water bath process for 10 minutes . Let set 3-4 weeks before using.

    When you want grape juice, you just dump the jar into a pitcher, through a sieve (I use a silk bag I made for my herb press, as I can squeeze every good drop of juice out). Press the juice out and discard the grapes (chickens love them)

    I've mostly made this with Concord type grapes. The juice could be used later to make jelly in the winter when tgere us more time and the kitchen is cooler.

    Summerthyme
    Last edited by summerthyme; 09-17-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Because the tablet apparently was adding random words!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    10,349
    Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Vicki... you can can them for grape juice SO fast and easy...

    Just put 1 cup grapes into a quart jar. Add 1/2 cup sugar (you could probably use a mild flavored honey if you wanted) Top off the jar with boiling water. Water bath process for 10 minutes . Let set 3-4 weeks before using.

    When you add in genetically want grape juice, you just dump the jar into a pitcher, through a sieve (I use a silk bag I made for my herb press, as I can squeeze every good drop of juice out). Press the juice out and discard the grapes (chickens love them)

    I've mostly made this with Concord type grapes. The juice could be used later to make jelly in the winter when tgere us more time and the kitchen is cooler.

    Summerthyme
    Thank you Summerthyme. I also have concord and I was thinking of maybe just juicing and canning. I'll try your method when I get the rest of this stuff off my counter. Pears galore and many many apples. I still haven't done the zuccini breads but I'm getting there. I can't believe my Grandmother used to do all this every year. Geesh... lol
    "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." Hippocrates

    My Music page https://poorboyproductions.bandcamp.com/

    The fact that we have a "Highway To Hell" and a "Stairway To Heaven" says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers.

  15. #15
    I have a bird problem with my grapes too. One thing that worked pretty well was bird scare tape. It's a shiny reflective ribbon that scares birds away in a five to eight foot radius. It does work, though hanging old cd's would problem do the same thing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


NOTICE: Timebomb2000 is an Internet forum for discussion of world events and personal disaster preparation. Membership is by request only. The opinions posted do not necessarily represent those of TB2K Incorporated (the owner of this website), the staff or site host. Responsibility for the content of all posts rests solely with the Member making them. Neither TB2K Inc, the Staff nor the site host shall be liable for any content.

All original member content posted on this forum becomes the property of TB2K Inc. for archival and display purposes on the Timebomb2000 website venue. Said content may be removed or edited at staff discretion. The original authors retain all rights to their material outside of the Timebomb2000.com website venue. Publication of any original material from Timebomb2000.com on other websites or venues without permission from TB2K Inc. or the original author is expressly forbidden.



"Timebomb2000", "TB2K" and "Watching the World Tick Away" are Service Mark℠ TB2K, Inc. All Rights Reserved.