Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT I want DUCK EGGS (to eat). Where can I get some?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 I want DUCK EGGS (to eat). Where can I get some?

So, I'm interested in getting some duck eggs to eat. I've never had them, and want to try them at least once. I need to find some close to Austin if possible.

Any ideas?

http://www.duckeggs.com/

Pretty spendy though.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

Olivia, Farm
    Austin, TX
    Duck Eggs, Bison, Beef, Cream, Eggs, Creams, Ice Cream, Desserts, Top, Duck, Fruit Preserves, Jams, Rabbit
    Innovative seasonal and local cuisine by Chef James Holmes. Named one of Bon Appetit magazine's Top 10 New Restaurants of 2009. Appetizer selection......
    http://agrilicious.org/local/fresh-d...s/texas/austin

Here's a list of where you can get them. Google is your friend.

http://www.agrilicious.org/local/fre...s/texas/austin

Duck eggs instead of chicken eggs make for fluffier cakes.

Pretty sure you can get them at Whole Foods, no need to online order or buy from some specialty place.
    E Deploribus Unum

Oderint dum metuant

Every day is a JDAM day

They're GREAT! A little rich but yum. The only one I've had I raided from a mallard nested next to the house. Wanted more but nature and all that. Besides the possibility of getting a rotten one. Lol.
    The Operative: The path to peace is paved with corpses. Its always been so.

Malcolm Reynolds: So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    So, I'm interested in getting some duck eggs to eat. I've never had them, and want to try them at least once. I need to find some close to Austin if possible.

Any ideas?
    From Ducks silly.

I tried google and wasn't really successful. Lots of duck eggs for breeding. Didn't see any for eating. The places that do have them appear to be out. Hence this thread.

Is there a farmers' market close to you?
    The wonder of our time isnt how angry we are at politics and politicians; its how little weve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Want duck eggs You start with a duck.

Look up the local agricultural extension and ask about getting in touch with the 4-H Club group in your area they many be able to tell you who has duck and eggs for sale.

No idea. And if there is, it's probably all mexican crap.

Any ideas?
    From a duck of course. otherwise most asian grocery stores sell them.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

eh??? the mex grocery stores here sell only non-gmo non-HFCS stuff, ditto this with the asian grocery stores.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

What - white people don't own ducks??

The young man we bought this place from has enough ducks that they have their own Great Pyr as a guard dog.
    The wonder of our time isnt how angry we are at politics and politicians; its how little weve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Egg drop soup is supposed to be made with duck eggs.

We used to have some ducks and the eggs were great. They are a lot richer and bigger than chicken eggs. You'll like them.
    Yesterday I was young, today I am old, tomorrow I'm dead, and the day after that I never was.

Not sure what part of Texas, but Jack Spirko, who runs the survival podcast, sells duck eggs. www.ninemile.farm

My granddaughter has chickens and ducks. The ducks aren't quite old enough to start laying yet, but I'll be curious to taste one of their eggs when they do. The chicken eggs are awesome though. Her kids have become very picky about what kind of eggs they eat, because there IS a difference. I love it that she's so in to raising a garden, along with her chickens and ducks. Just proves that not ALL millennials are brain dead. Hope you find some duck eggs, and that you will enjoy them.

If you have any Asian grocery stores in your area check with them. Around here (SF Bay Area) they are the ones that regularly carry duck eggs in my experience.

We use duck eggs and quail eggs from Whole Foods, a couple of local grocers, or any of several farmer's markets, here.

Not uncommon for kids with vaccine injury to be allergic to chicken eggs (many vaccines are incubated in chicken eggs.)

Turns out that egg allergies are usually species-specific (i.e., chicken egg.) Thus we first tried quail eggs and then found duck eggs. What a relief, as duck eggs are easy to substitute, one for one, for "cluck" eggs. (Versus cracking a few dozen quail eggs for a cake or a decent omelette!)

There is at least one company in Southern California that used to ship duck eggs. Used to keep their info on the frig. Just looked, not there. Will have to check with the local store that uses them.

Maybe our palates are simply unsophisticated but we don't taste much difference, Dennis.

ETA: BTW, duck eggs aren't cheap - around a dollar per egg.
    Last edited by cjoi; 09-14-2017 at 12:47 AM.

I rarely get to our farmer's market in time to get any. For a while I had a source at work but I'm retired now. Some day I'll have ducks, you are on the right path...they are terrific, best eggs ever - and I've raised chickens. Hope you have success!!
    All that is gold does not glitter....

I second trying the Asian market, my girlfriend gets them there, just make sure you don't accidentally get the "thousand year" eggs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg
    Save us, O Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen

I tried google and wasn't really successful. Lots of duck eggs for breeding. Didn't see any for eating. The places that do have them appear to be out. Hence this thread.
    Um, if they're selling them for "breeding" they are fine for eating. They are just fertile eggs, you'll never know the difference it's so miniscule. Fertile eggs don't begin to develop until they are at a raised temperature either from the hen setting on them or they are put into an incubator.

Anyone selling fertile eggs for incubating is selling nice fresh eggs...
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.

("Anthem" by Leonard Cohen)

Check Craigslist.

IMO, duck eggs are best poached over easy, over good toasted rye.

ETA, if you live with dogs, it may be a great payback and your dogs will be vary jealous.

Really though if you know how to correctly poach.a egg, duck eggs are best poached, and you get the full taste and best health benefits from them this way. Even better for you if the rye is toasted in frying pan with a bit of coconut oil.

Duck on toasted rye, yummy!
    Last edited by West; 09-14-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Duck eggs tend to produce a very smelly after effect if your system isn't used to them.

Very very smelly

JMHO
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

I was on a duck egg thing a few years ago after never having tried them. They were good, had a strong richness to them, heartier than chicken eggs. Definitely a unique flavor compared to chicken eggs but not too different. Didn't stick with them though because it was out of my way to get them and the taste seemed to stick with me for the whole day.

Quote Originally Posted by mecoastie View Post
    Check Craigslist.
    this^^^ was my first thought.

if you don't find any there.. put your own ad up.. looking for them

my old girl (bob) just died of old age, last week.

she was Muscovy, and laid all winter

I,m down to 2 ducks now.

1 ruon and 1 spotted Australian duck

the auzzie is small and lays blue/green small egg

Try DuckDuckgo.com.....for duck eggs......hah!

I bought 2 doz eggs right from the farm yesterday......I ate the tallest one and it was a double yolker, but my DH got another big one and it was a triple-flat yolker.....never seen anything like it, and no burps from eating them. $3 per dozen delivered.....bargain.

Never tried a duck egg.....
    True North Strong and Free

Whole Foods near me has them. Dean and Deluca too.

IMHO I wouldn't buy from a non-store entity (like a farmer) unless you know and trust that person-then its better than a store.

Its too much of a risk of getting sick. Nothing like a nice dose of salmonella with your eggs.

Locally, the health food/vitamin store carries duck eggs, but they're pretty pricey at $7.50/dozen. After we got ducks and I tasted the eggs, I never used chicken eggs for anything but baking. Duck eggs are far superior, imo.

Try Central Market. There are a couple in Austin.

Jeff B.
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
    Plutarch (Roman Philosopher and Statesman)

Today was errand day, and I went by Whole Foods, and picked up some duck eggs and mizythra cheese. Yummy. Going to try an egg later.

Taste test results

I'll describe as best I can. I just fried one up in butter. Nothing special in terms of seasoning, just a little salt and pepper. The white had a slightly different flavor than a chicken egg, but nothing stood out. However, the consistency of the white was rubbery compared to a chicken egg. The yolk however, had a distinct musky flavor. I can't define it better than that. Tomorrow, I'll scramble up a couple, and add mushrooms and cheese, and we'll see what that's like.

I was going to wait to see what you thought before I said anything. Yup, to me they are tough, and have a strong flavor. Not a fan myself.

Try cooking on lower heat. I find flash fried eggs to be tough no matter what. It takes me twice the time of a normal person but they don't get tough. I also "float" them in butter.
    The Operative: The path to peace is paved with corpses. Its always been so.

Malcolm Reynolds: So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?

Telling you...the best way to cook a duck egg is by poaching it over easy.

Should look like this.....

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/rec...-asparagus-ham

"Over" whatever is frying. Over means flip it over, and easy means soft, and then there's over medium and over hard. Unflipped is "sunny side up". Poached is poached, either in water or milk. I do have an egg poacher though, and will try your suggestion. Though "easy" (semi-runny) is not something I'll eat. It's always a nice medium for me. I have enough of these to try multiple methodologies in preparation.

Thanks!