Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GOV/MIL Joni Ernst, GOP senator, demands cap on ex-presidentsí payments
+ Reply to Thread

21 Joni Ernst, GOP senator, demands cap on ex-presidentsí payments

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ents-payments/

Joni Ernst, GOP senator, demands cap on ex-presidentsí payments

Obama, Bush to cost taxpayers more than $1 million

By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A Republican senator introduced legislation Tuesday to cut down on the amount of money ex-presidents siphon from taxpayers, looking to limit their pensions and office expenses.

Sen. Joni Ernst, Iowa Republican, said that while presidents should keep getting taxpayer-funded security details, they donít need the more than $1 million in pensions and office equipment that former Presidents Obama and George W. Bush are each expected to cost in 2018.

Her bill would cap the annual pension payment at $200,000 per president, and would impose a cap on how much an ex-presidentís office can cost. Initially the cap would be $500,000 a year, dropping over a decade to $250,000 per presidential office.

ďThe reality is that post-presidential life already provides fruitful opportunities on its own, with former presidents raking in tens of millions of dollars from book deals, speaking engagements, and more,Ē Ms. Ernst said.

The Washington Times reported last month that Mr. Obama is poised to become the most expensive ex-president during his first full year out of office, in 2018. Between his $236,000 pension, his $536,000 office rent in Washington, D.C., and other expenses, Mr. Obama will cost taxpayers some $1,153,000, according to the Congressional Research Service.

His immediate predecessor, Mr. Bush, will get a $225,000 pension payment next year and his office in Dallas will cost $497,000, plus a higher communications and printing budget ó bringing his total cost to just more than $1 million, the CRS said.

Of the five ex-presidents alive, only former President Carter is slated to get less than $500,000 in taxpayer money next year. Since he only served four years, he doesnít qualify for a pension, and his office expenses are far lower than the others.

Ms. Ernst said nothing in her legislation would curtail the lifetime security provided for ex-presidents.

But she said itís time to update the Former Presidents Act, which became law in 1958 and called for ex-presidents to get payments. It was inspired by former President Trumanís struggles to earn a living after leaving the White House.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur

Need to include Senators too.

And while we are at it, make them all take obamacare just like the taxpayers.

That would NOT be "Ms.", it would be "Col." Ernst to you, Reporter-scum.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."

Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Make sure that the hill you choose to die on is one someone else will be able to (or want to) climb to drop flowers on your grave. Make it worth SOMETHING.

I'm torn by this. As much as I'd love to see certain ex-presidents stripped of their bennies, it's a hell of a hard job, no matter if the office holder is an innate POS or not. And they know things that keep them from ever being a private citizen again, so it could be argued that they shoulder an extraordinary burden on their lifestyle until they die. I understand why they get taken care of after leaving office.

I would support this sort of move for congresscritters, though.
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

They should be given a choice... either taxpayers will pay for their office and a reasonable pension (capped, at say, half a million a year for everything) OR they can keep the profits from the books and speeches they make. After all, it's more their position as ex President that thry are paying the big bucks for.

If they want the taxpayers to subsidize them, then their extra income should go back to the treasury.

Summerthyme

I don't think a decrease in the pension and post-presidency goodies will turn off anyone who is serious about running for the office.....
    True North Strong and Free

Quote Originally Posted by WestGardener View Post
    Need to include Senators too.
    Why do they get a guaranteed income for life for being POTUS for 4 years? The establishment 'deep state' has made it so only millionaires can be POTUS now, and pretty much the same for sentators-we need the money more than they do and after the illegal crap they do, drugs and pedophilia, screw em, take it and their cushy health care plans.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post
    Why do they get a guaranteed income for life for being POTUS for 4 years? The establishment 'deep state' has made it so only millionaires can be POTUS now, and pretty much the same for sentators-we need the money more than they do and after the illegal crap they do, drugs and pedophilia, screw em, take it and their cushy health care plans.
    With all DUE respepect Ma'am, have you ever looked at what 4 years in the pressure cooker DOES to a man? Ain't ONE who goes IN as a moderately young guy who doesn't come OUT an OLD MAN.

Not to mention that the bolded above is using a hell-of-a BROAD brush...

Your post shows a HUGE lack of understanding about the office, the schedule (24/7/365 and 1/4 ON DUTY with NO ACTUAL vacation until out of office)

Really. Dig out a set of "West Wings" and binge watch it to get a fairly softened view of the POTUS life. Friend of mine who had knowledge pointed out that that show was darn accurate.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."

Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Make sure that the hill you choose to die on is one someone else will be able to (or want to) climb to drop flowers on your grave. Make it worth SOMETHING.