Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Official Hurricane Irma Thread- Woo Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Rather than that, go with good galvanized cans, or look for a source of blue barrels that held food. Probably be cheaper in the long run.
    Blue or white food-grade used 55 gallon barrels go for about $20 around here. I have four of them in the wellhouse, backup in case our holding tank breaks in an earthquake.

Rinse them out thoroughly, fill them partway, add bleach, fill to the top so there's no air at all inside, and cap them. For this emergency you're not worried about long term storage and can skip the bleach, just do it later.

The Georgia and Carolina coasts will play hell evacuating if gas is still in short supply with the colonial pipeline shut in or running at reduced capacity!
    Getting gas won't be a problem.

The Colonial pipeline should be up and running by Tuesday, and the storm is still nearly a week away.

Most vehicles will go at least 400 miles on one tank and many will go much farther.

The predicted track is still changing every day, so it's sort of pointless to believe anything much beyond 36 hours at a time.

Just made a gas run... 22 gallons in gas containers and 13 gallons in pickup. 2.59 a gallon at Speedway. $90. It was business as usual there, four, five cars besides me getting fuel.

I have two 35 count .5 liters packs of water, and two empty 6 gallon containers for water. Don't think I'll need to but have two blue 55 gallon water barrels. For bulk water I have a freshwater canal across the street 50' away. However I will fill up two very heavy duty 35 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans for water to purify. Got a Sawyer filter, says a million gallons, but I'd settle for use in an emergency.

Gen is sitting in garage, no fuel in it as I just keep it empty. But not much in freezer right now, about 22 lbs butter and little else. It's time for a freezer meat run as I do Paleo eating however I may hold off until Irma is gone to stock it up.

And of course canned goods (soups, beans, beef, chicken) for thirty days and six months (lentils, beans, pastas, one minute rice) with what is in gallon canning jars.

I'm in the ZONE! Having to put on the ol' preparedness thinking cap again. Ahh, oops gotta go put gas outside in shade.

I will keep an update going on weather / panic conditions in zone 10a Lee County FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtualco View Post
    Just made a gas run... 22 gallons in gas containers and 13 gallons in pickup. 2.59 a gallon at Speedway. $90. It was business as usual there, four, five cars besides me getting fuel.

I have two 35 count .5 liters packs of water, and two empty 6 gallon containers for water. Don't think I'll need to but have two blue 55 gallon water barrels. For bulk water I have a freshwater canal across the street 50' away. However I will fill up two very heavy duty 35 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans for water to purify. Got a Sawyer filter, says a million gallons, but I'd settle for use in an emergency.

Gen is sitting in garage, no fuel in it as I just keep it empty. But not much in freezer right now, about 22 lbs butter and little else. It's time for a freezer meat run as I do Paleo eating however I may hold off until Irma is gone to stock it up.

And of course canned goods (soups, beans, beef, chicken) for thirty days and six months (lentils, beans, pastas, one minute rice) with what is in gallon canning jars.

I'm in the ZONE! Having to put on the ol' preparedness thinking cap again. Ahh, oops gotta go put gas outside in shade.

I will keep an update going on weather / panic conditions in zone 10a Lee County FL.
    Wow! Go you!!!
    Author of "Loose Ends - A Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery." Dreams do come true!

http://www.amazon.com/Loose-OReilly-...5105847&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Virtualco View Post
    Hey fellow Floridian, my screen name is my airport. Just keep praying for it to make that right turn. Turn right, you big bitch, turn right.
    "White Privilege" is liberalese for "White Competence."

Quote Originally Posted by EYW View Post
    Hey fellow Floridian, my screen name is my airport. Just keep praying for it to make that right turn. Turn right, you big bitch, turn right.
    I'm in Brevard County and a bit concerned as well.
    Prayers this thing goes somewhere else!
    Makes dialysis very difficult!
    ...that those "who having no appeal on earth to right them, they are left to the only remedy in such cases, an appeal to heaven." ~ John Locke
    *~* Appeal to Heaven *~*
    ~Prepare for Our Valley Forge~

http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hur...x?animate=true

The bottom of that support ridge that Irma is riding above, is starting to break up, lessening any chance of Irma turning North any time soon. It looks like Irma could slide under Cuba then turn north into the Gulf. Depends a lot on future weather patterns.
    A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's.

Have you ever listened to someone and wondered,,,,,,,,
    "Who ties your shoes for you??"

Latest just in from...

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi 2m2 minutes ago

GFS right on top of http://Weatherbell.com track at 12z

DI5HMA5XoAE2P4u.jpg

- Shane

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT NUCLEAR DESTRUCTION!
    WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT!
    When An ill Wind Blows From Afar! (Overseas Fallout)

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

It had better not come to Texas. We can't take another pounding like we just did LAST WEEK....

Quote Originally Posted by workerbee View Post
    I'm in Brevard County and a bit concerned as well.
    Prayers this thing goes somewhere else!
    Makes dialysis very difficult!
    Sarasota County up here. We're not liking the latest projections one bit! Just moved down here last year, so if this comes anywhere near, it will be our first. We're not as prepared as we were back in Washington (space more limited) so needing to do a store run. Stat!

ETA: Dennis, copy on that. Let's all just collectively blow Irma out to sea!
    When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    It had better not come to Texas. We can't take another pounding like we just did LAST WEEK....
    Dennis,

God has a sense of humor.... But never challenge him to turn to Michael and say, "Hold my beer..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Hawk View Post
    Dennis,

God has a sense of humor.... But never challenge him to turn to Michael and say, "Hold my beer..."
    I like and, my highest compliment, will plagiarize that!

- Shane

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT NUCLEAR DESTRUCTION!
    WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT!
    When An ill Wind Blows From Afar! (Overseas Fallout)

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

12z GFS model now has it coming it around Miami (it will change some more, but over the next few days it will lock in and then it shouldn't change a whole lot)

ETA: shows it coming in on the 10th, instead of the 11th like earlier
    Last edited by Lilbitsnana; 09-04-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one big "little bit" now several inches taller than me

So ... God IS a redneck after all.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I think Trump is going to be kissing some more little negro kids soon.

A Farther South Track?

Local meteorologist has a Cycling Pattern Hypothesis. This is his take as of today.
    http://weatherblog.kshb.com/
    Pattern Supports Farther South Track Of Irma
    BY GARYLEZAK, ON SEPTEMBER 4TH, 2017
    Good morning bloggers,

Happy Labor Day! We have a strong cold early September cold front that is on the move and tracking across the plains states on this holiday. And, Hurricane Irma continues to throw tropical weather forecasters for a loop, as Irma is now going out of previous forecast fans. As we discussed late last week, Irma may be just slow enough to be left behind by that big eastern trough and end up south of most forecast tracks. This is now becoming more likely with the trend that developed on the models overnight. We will discuss this and the overall weather pattern in todayís blog entry.

First of all, thank you for sharing in this weather experience, the Action Weather Blog featuring Weather2020 and the Cycling Weather Pattern Hypothesis. On the Weather2020 site I am updating the video this morning as we track this storm and the weather pattern and you can click on the blog to join in the conversation and let us know what you think or if you have any questions.

Now, letís begin this discussion today with a look at the very early morning satellite picture, a visible picture taken from Weathertap.com. We can see the very well organized hurricane Irma. Irma is a category 3 storm with 120 mph winds this morning. Irma continues its west southwest track this morning:

The forecast tracks of Hurricane Irma presented by the computer models have been coming in all over the place from threatening New York City to being modeled to hit South Carolina as of yesterday. But, the trend is for it to be farther south with some confidence beginning to grow in this direction:

The farther south track should have been expected based on the the big eastern trough lifting out. Here is a look at that big trough forecast to be swinging through New England as the Kansas City Chiefs take on the New England Patriots on Thursday night. A cold front will be moving through the northeast and some rain is likely, but it may just end in time for the game. We will have to look closer into that timing in the next few days. The trough causing this storm is right on the Cycling Pattern Hypothesis schedule. If Hurricane Irma were just one or two days faster it would have been picked up by this trough and ejected out harmlessly over the Atlantic Ocean, but it is not one or two days faster. It is a bit slower and still moving west southwest and this is why Irma is now forecast to go out of all of those other forecast fans that were put out there the past few days.
    [IMG]http://weatherblog.kshb.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/9-
    640x435.png[/IMG]
    Irma is far enough south where there will literally be no influence from the westerly belt and this deep eastern trough. Look at what is forecast to happen to the upper level flow by Sunday:

The upper low near California is actually leftover from what used to be Tropical Storm Lidia. That type of system would have produced 10 to 15 inches of rain if it were east of the Rocky Mountains, but because the Pacific Ocean current moves south from the Gulf of Alaska, the water is colder and thus the lower levels of the atmosphere are much more stable. A few showers and thunderstorms did affect Southern California yesterday, but now that system is offshore. Off to the east of the Rocky Mountains, the warm Gulf of Mexico provides the fuel necessary for what happened in Houston and the wettest hurricane producing rains ever recorded ended up happening with Major Hurricane Harvey becoming a likely $150 Billion disaster. Hurricane Irma is now caught in the flow with very little steering currents with that eastern trough lifting out and moving off the east coast. Irma will likely continue on this southern track, but that weak upper level cyclonic circulation over Tennessee and the overall pattern should be just strong enough to lift Hurricane Irma north into Florida, but just like Harvey, Irma may slow down significantly. This could be another massive rain event that would unfold over parts of the southeastern United States.

The overnight GFS model is actually, shockingly, in agreement with the European Model and the Canadian Model in tracking Hurricane Irma to near Cuba by this weekend. A very strong early September high pressure area will be in place over the Great Lakes States as you can see on this surface forecast below:

The upper low near California is actually leftover from what used to be Tropical Storm Lidia. That type of system would have produced 10 to 15 inches of rain if it were east of the Rocky Mountains, but because the Pacific Ocean current moves south from the Gulf of Alaska, the water is colder and thus the lower levels of the atmosphere are much more stable. A few showers and thunderstorms did affect Southern California yesterday, but now that system is offshore. Off to the east of the Rocky Mountains, the warm Gulf of Mexico provides the fuel necessary for what happened in Houston and the wettest hurricane producing rains ever recorded ended up happening with Major Hurricane Harvey becoming a likely $150 Billion disaster. Hurricane Irma is now caught in the flow with very little steering currents with that eastern trough lifting out and moving off the east coast. Irma will likely continue on this southern track, but that weak upper level cyclonic circulation over Tennessee and the overall pattern should be just strong enough to lift Hurricane Irma north into Florida, but just like Harvey, Irma may slow down significantly. This could be another massive rain event that would unfold over parts of the southeastern United States.

On this next map you can see that overnight version of the GEFS spaghetti plots. This is already so very different from yesterday:

Here is another spaghetti plot showing that there is even one model that takes the remnants of Irma to just east of Kansas City:
    ere is another spaghetti plot showing that there is even one model that takes the remnants of Irma to just east of Kansas City:

The track will likely take this southern route. Why? Because that eastern trough is leaving it behind and with no strong steering currents, this system will continue its western track, then slow down, and then finally turn north. Florida is now becoming the main target. Just yesterday, Florida should certainly been on alert, but this should have been emphasized as a strong probability. Maybe the local meteorologists in Florida did strongly suggest this southern track. I am not sure, but right now I am sure they are all over it.
    Last edited by Ogre; 09-04-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Title: Father South?

If it keeps heading west... it will be called Mother something.

Typos aside...

Every time I view the projections it appears that Florida is more in peril, but....

I am not a meteorologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post

So ... God IS a redneck after all.
    Probably. At least a Conservative's, Conservative.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    We don't need any more in my neck of the woods, creeks and lakes over flowing onto the banks. Its not looking good to turn north, unfortunately.

Judy

from s2k

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:01 pm
    Recon extrapolated surface pressure:
    944.6 mb

16.733N 53.733W

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:11 pm
    Drop just came in

946mb
    16:52z
    16.7N 53.7W
    Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one big "little bit" now several inches taller than me

They won't make 400 miles idling in a interstate turned parking lot.

And the Colonial may open this week but it will be at reduced capacity for at least a couple more weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
    Getting gas won't be a problem.

The Colonial pipeline should be up and running by Tuesday, and the storm is still nearly a week away.

Most vehicles will go at least 400 miles on one tank and many will go much farther.

The predicted track is still changing every day, so it's sort of pointless to believe anything much beyond 36 hours at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by vestige View Post
    Title: Father South?

If it keeps heading west... it will be called Mother something.

Typos aside...

Every time I view the projections it appears that Florida is more in peril, but....

I am not a meteorologist.

The last several NHC advisories have shown it heading WSW (the last 5 for sure).

It has gone a lot farther South than they had thought it would

Oh, I just read that parts of Florida could have TS force winds sometime Saturday.

I just need Sat the 9th to be clear here in CLE. RELIC has committed to an OUTDOOR, NOON TO 10 craft show with her pen and inks stuff and her jewelry. Pen ink isn't waterproof and neither is the paper involved.

It BETTER BE clear, or I'll be forced to see to it she has her Bob Hope Oscars Cumberbun on....

None of those tracks make me feel all warm and fuzzy; even the one that has it skirt the East Coast and shoot back could do coastal flooding damage and then send it flipping back in our direction; we've already had one this season and while they tend not to be nearly as destructive when the double back and hit Ireland/UK/Europe we had one a few years ago that caused massive flooding, horrible wind damage and took down most of the historic trees planted at the Palace of Versailles when it was constructed!

Usually the colder Atlantic waters put the kibosh on major damages but this early in the Fall that doesn't always happen; still, most tracks are looking at somewhere in the US for landfall and that is likely to be worse unless the wind speeds go way down.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

It's ECMWF (EURO Model,) time! 12Z run at hour 24.
    Attached Images

ECMWF 12Z at hour 48.
    Attached Images

ECMWF 12Z at hour 72. Still keeping Irma a smaller storm and weaker then she is now. I don't believe that.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by It'sJustMe View Post
    Sarasota County up here. We're not liking the latest projections one bit! Just moved down here last year, so if this comes anywhere near, it will be our first. We're not as prepared as we were back in Washington (space more limited) so needing to do a store run. Stat!

ETA: Dennis, copy on that. Let's all just collectively blow Irma out to sea!
    Pinellas county... Seems we have a fairly sizable Florida contingent
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared

"You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson

It's been going thru a EWRC (eye wall replacement cycle) for several hour and is just about complete (if not already)

It will ramp up (should anyway) relatively quickly after that

from HNC

WTNT31 KNHC 041740
    TCPAT1

BULLETIN
    Hurricane Irma Intermediate Advisory Number 21A
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
    200 PM AST Mon Sep 04 2017

...IRMA CONTINUES TO MOVE WEST-SOUTHWESTWARD TOWARD THE
    LEEWARD ISLANDS...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM AST...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
    ----------------------------------------------
    LOCATION...16.7N 53.8W
    ABOUT 530 MI...850 KM E OF THE LEEWARD ISLANDS
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...WSW OR 255 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...944 MB...27.88 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
    --------------------
    CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

None

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for...
    * Antigua, Barbuda, Anguilla, Montserrat, St. Kitts, and Nevis
    * Saba, St. Eustatius, and Sint Maarten
    * Saint Martin and Saint Barthelemy

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for...
    * Guadeloupe
    * British Virgin Islands
    * U.S. Virgin Islands
    * Puerto Rico, Vieques, and Culebra

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...
    * Dominica

A Hurricane Warning means that hurricane conditions are expected
    somewhere within the warning area. A warning is typically issued
    36 hours before the anticipated first occurrence of tropical-storm-
    force winds, conditions that make outside preparations difficult or
    dangerous. Preparations to protect life and property should be
    rushed to completion.

A Hurricane Watch means that hurricane conditions are possible
    within the watch area. A watch is typically issued 48 hours before
    the anticipated first occurrence of tropical-storm-force winds,
    conditions that make outside preparations difficult or dangerous.

A Tropical Storm Watch means that tropical storm conditions are
    possible within the watch area, generally within 48 hours.

Interests in the Dominican Republic, Haiti, the Turks and Caicos
    Islands, and the southeastern Bahamas should monitor the progress of
    Irma.

For storm information specific to your area in the United States,
    including possible inland watches and warnings, please monitor
    products issued by your local National Weather Service forecast
    office. For storm information specific to your area outside the
    United States, please monitor products issued by your national
    meteorological service.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
    ------------------------------
    At 200 PM AST (1800 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Irma was located near
    latitude 16.7 North, longitude 53.8 West. Irma is moving toward the
    west-southwest near 14 mph (22 km/h). A turn toward the west is
    expected later today, followed by a west-northwestward turn late
    Tuesday. On the forecast track, the center of Irma will move near
    or over portions of the northern Leeward Islands Tuesday night and
    early Wednesday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 120 mph (195 km/h) with higher
    gusts. Irma is a category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson
    Hurricane Wind Scale. Strengthening is forecast during the next
    couple of days.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 35 miles (55 km) from
    the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 140
    miles (220 km).

The estimated minimum central pressure based on data from an Air
    Force Reserve Hunter aircraft is 944 mb (27.88 inches).

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
    ----------------------
    STORM SURGE: The combination of a dangerous storm surge and large
    breaking waves will raise water levels by as much as 6 to 9 feet
    above normal tide levels along the coasts of the extreme northern
    Leeward Islands within the hurricane warning area near and to the
    north of the center of Irma. Near the coast, the surge will be
    accompanied by large and destructive waves.

WIND: Hurricane conditions are expected within the hurricane
    warning area by Tuesday night, with tropical storm conditions
    expected by late Tuesday. Hurricane conditions are possible within
    the hurricane watch area by late Wednesday, with tropical storm
    conditions possible by early Wednesday.

RAINFALL: Irma is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations
    of 3 to 6 inches across the Leeward Islands, with isolated maximum
    amounts of 10 inches across the northern Leeward Islands. These
    rainfall amounts may cause life-threatening flash floods and
    mudslides.

SURF: Swells generated by Irma will affect the northern Leeward
    Islands during the next several days. These swells are likely to
    cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions. Please
    consult products from your local weather office.

NEXT ADVISORY
    -------------
    Next complete advisory at 500 PM AST.

$$
    Forecaster Brown

ECMWF 12Z at hour 96. (Friday afternoon time frame.)
    Attached Images

ECMWF 12Z at hour 120 (Saturday afternoon time frame.)

Just north of Cuba and SE of Miami. I personally only trust these models no further then 96-120 hours. That being said, both the GFS and the EURO are in good agreement to this point. Anyone in the state of Florida, especially on the SE/E coast should really start thinking of getting your ducks in order for Irma.
    Attached Images

ECMWF 12Z at hour 144. FLA Middle to Upper keys and Miami/Homestead/Palm Beach south taking a direct hit from a CAT 4 or 5 storm on Sunday.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas321 View Post
    ECMWF 12Z at hour 96. (Friday afternoon time frame.)
    12z would actually be 8 AM EDT (today) forecast time and it shows 8 AM Sunday hurricane location

nevermind...I see, you are saying at 96 hr mark for Friday, but that would still be 8 AM Friday

the image shows it out to 8 AM Sunday location

here is a link with a quick conversion chart

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/hurricanes/zulu-utc.html

Center of the state - Polk County here!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas321 View Post
    ECMWF 12Z at hour 144. FLA Middle to Upper keys and Miami/Homestead/Palm Beach south taking a direct hit from a CAT 4 or 5 storm on Sunday.
    Right into Key Largo and Homestead. Uuuggggg
    Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Ron Paul

ECMWF 12Z at hour 168. The western eyewall scrapes Miami North to Palm beach. Sitting East of the Cape as a Monster storm now.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary Girl View Post
    The Euro and the GFS are playing this as a bigger Andrew that comes South to North.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary Girl View Post

So far, various current models are showing West coast FL, center FL, East coast FL and some in Eastern GOM and some skirting along the East Coast

In a few days, it will all start coming together.

Some say by Wednesday, but I think it might not be locked in until Friday or maybe even Sat. (talking accurate forecast for landfall, not actual landfall....although it has been moving faster lately)

I hope this changes and goes out to sea.
    Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Ron Paul

Another temporary water storage option, if you have a spare bathtub, is the waterBOB. It is a 100 gallon "container" that fits in a bath tub and can be filled quickly.
    The tub supports the plastic container and it is enclosed to prevent contamination. It comes with a basic pump to extract the drinking-grade water.

https://www.amazon.com/waterBOB-Emer.../dp/B001AXLUX2