Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Does anybody else mourn when they lose a favorite knife?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anybody else mourn when they lose a favorite knife?

Misplaced or lost my favorite pocket knife. I'm sitting here mourning the damn thing and trying to
    find a replacement online. Of course they don't make it anymore.

Smith & Wesson 2" folder w/assisted open California legal.

Sturdy litle knife with a push button auto open folder. Super solid. I did break the tip off the blade
    but was able to repair it so you wouldn't even notice. It was $50 when I bought it years ago. Now the only one I see is $75 on ebay.

I like knives but I don't have a huge collection like my FIL did. A good balance of all the different
    types with 1-2 in each category.

Real men carry knives...lol

I still have two project knives to work on. Just customizing my own grips for the blanks.

Oh well, maybe I'll go look in the garage again...I feel like I set it down near the garbage cans which
    makes me think it might have fallen in. Its easy to go on a safari for something like that if your house has a lot of stuff in it like mine, could be looking for it for ages. OCD kind of thing. AGH!!!!
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
    --John F. Kennedy

My favorite is the small pocket size swiss army knife. I have three, and I miss place them all of the time, I'm thinking of ordering more.

Judy

Oh you know it.....totally pisses me off when I do that. The strange thing is that - eventually - I do find them.

Not sure how that happens but eventually "they" find their way back home and most times in some of the strangest places. Missing two right now......
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Kershaw has a whole line of assisted opening designs -
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...sisted+opening

1) Find something you like that is reasonably priced

2) Buy a dozen of them

When Spyderco came out with their Chinese made line a few years back, I decided to sample them. I liked the Tenacious best re. size, and they were on sale for about $20 each back then. I bought a batch of them and they are still going strong. Currently they run about $45 each though.... https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tena.../dp/B007CK1MNU

DW is bad to lose knives, she was a dedicated Spyderco Clipit Killer for a long time till I got tired of paying for them. I told her if she wanted to play Johnny Knifeseed she could do it just as well with a less expensive knife - now she carries two Kabar Dozier folders at the time, one on each side in her waistband - https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Dozier...r+kabar+folder
    Last edited by Dozdoats; 08-27-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I do too. I lost my Buck Knives 382 Trapper Dual 2 Blade Folding Knife yesterday. I was fixing my tractor mounted 3ph sprayer. Laid it down and forgot about it. Didnt miss it till 3 hrs later. Had to order another.

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

I've had knives turn up like that too. This one has been MIA for a couple of months now so it seems more lost then usual....hehe I've looked for it a half a dozen times at least. Maybe it's in the basement....hrmmm

I have a Kershaw in similar configuration but it's heavier. Nearly sliced the end of my finger off with it a few months ago, broke the blade sent it for replacement but I'm still really missing the S&W. The button on it is recessed and the spring real tight but adjustable.

Now that I think about it, I'm missing my smaller Kershaw AO as well.

I do have the mini Swiss army knife, I call the gentlemen's knife but it's not sturdy enough for my daily use. I end up breaking down boxes at home and needing something
    to cut zip ties out of server racks when we decomm a server at work.

I'm the same way about my best flashlights too. One of those is MIA too...but that one is around somewhere for sure, just have to untangle the mess in the basement to find it....I guess thats where I"m headed next.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
    --John F. Kennedy

I carried a Spyderco everyday for over 15 years. I know exactly where I "lost" it.
    Working under the hood of my 63 Bonneville. I found later that day that the frame was rusted beyond repair. Closed the hood and sent the car to the bone yard.

I miss the car, But miss the knife more. I've looked for an exact replacement for 7 years now and nothing. I'll keep looking.

I've never lost one of my knives of the kind you guys are talking about, but I feel pretty mournful every time a favorite paring knife finally snaps off at the handle and I have to "break in" another one.

Yeah, working on a car can definitely cause the loss of things. Drop something down in the block somewhere that you can't see it. Gets lodged in some nook. Easy to forget you lost it too when you are busy trying to that tough bolt or doing a balancing act. I lost my Slim Jim in a car once and forgot about it, donated it to charity and
    realized that it was still in there somewhere later.

I think I had that knife for about 20 years. I'm pretty sure I bought in the late 90's. It was at a gun show and I was into collecting automatic knives. I have a couple of traditional switch blades, both front and side loading. One of my favorites I have is just like the one the Joker had in Dark Knight. Front loader, super heavy spring so you
    don't break it when you are jabbing something.
    --John F. Kennedy

I have a Benchmade Griptillian that fell out of my pocket when I was camping at my in-laws property. I didn't notice it until I drove an hour to get home. Once home I unloaded and then drove back to search for it and got lucky and found it. It's been the most expensive, but wonderful knife I've ever owned.

I carried a little "Old Timer" pocket knife for years - and lost it 22 years ago - still grieve and hope it shows up.
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

Well, I'm a gal and I really have a fit if a certain kitchen knife is miss laid. It's my chicken cut up knife. I buy whole chickens and like to cut them up better than the store does. It also sharpens really good. Hate a dull knife or one that won't sharpen well.
    Guns, Grub, and God!

Try eBay for a replacement!
    We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth... For my part, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst; and to provide for it. --Patrick Henry

I'm that way with my kitchen knives too. I only have a couple of actual good ones. My Japanese sushi knife (I make sushi too) is my favorite all purpose chef's knife. I need to break down and buy a pro quality set. The good pairing knives go missing pretty easily.

Reminds me I need to locate my game knife.

I used to work on a farm when I was younger. We raised and slaughtered cattle. I've done everything from bucking the hay to chopping a steer into New York strips. That was when I learned to sharpen a knife and appreciate a well honed blade. Nothing worse than trying to skin a steer with a dull knife and that leather wears a knife down quick. You have to stop and sharpen it as you work.

I've never dressed out a deer though. Funny that. Living at the foot of the Rockies in the west you would think I would have gotten around to that. I used to dream about it when I was a kid. Cattle raising cured me of Buck Fever though. For a couple of years during my tweens I lived and breathed camping and field craft. My first knife was a Bowie knife variation. My dad helped me make sheaths for my knives, before the Bowie I had a fishing knife I used to carry in a sheath so I could be an official knife carrier.
    --John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Gercarson View Post
    I carried a little "Old Timer" pocket knife for years - and lost it 22 years ago - still grieve and hope it shows up.
    I was just walking across the lawn before reading this thread, looked down, and spotted hubby's "old timer" pocket knife in the grass. He was very happy to see it!

Summerthyme (biggest problem with pocket knives is they tend to wear holes in the pockets you carry them in, and eventually fall out...)

Yeah, I get ticked off. Of my own negligence in losing it. And until I scrounge around for another I bum off my kids every time I have to open a bale, cut a twine string off a gate, sharpen a hot dog stick, etc. Sometimes I offer a reward to the same kids if they find it. Sometimes, they do. Most often the longed-for-knives are lost to the manure pile/straw stack/cow pasture forever. Or wherever pocket knives go to die......

Alas poor stabby knife, I knew it well.

The mourning shall start at 7 PM. Mourners will assemble at the top of the hill, accompanying the coffin down the hill to the knife's final resting place.
    Official TB2K Comedy Relief ; I resemble that remark! ; Aloha Snackbar; Nuke a Gay Whale For Christ and other Political Incorrectness
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it. FRA

I mourn every loss too. But, I've found that if I am really quiet for a bit, clear my mind, and put the problem to the universe, as often as not find the missing items with in a week or three. Happy hunting for yours!

Pissed yes, mourn no.

Yes!

I had a beautiful tanto tipped damascus blade balisong that went missing a few years ( wow... actually almost a decade ago, now )...I carried that everywhere with me!

Dang! I miss that knife!

I've been contemplating a good karambit but everything just seems to pale...
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

If you leave your favorite knife in the back of someone who really needed it...

you will mourn no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Kershaw has a whole line of assisted opening designs -
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...sisted+opening

1) Find something you like that is reasonably priced

2) Buy a dozen of them

When Spyderco came out with their Chinese made line a few years back, I decided to sample them. I liked the Tenacious best re. size, and they were on sale for about $20 each back then. I bought a batch of them and they are still going strong. Currently they run about $45 each though.... https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tena.../dp/B007CK1MNU

DW is bad to lose knives, she was a dedicated Spyderco Clipit Killer for a long time till I got tired of paying for them. I told her if she wanted to play Johnny Knifeseed she could do it just as well with a less expensive knife - now she carries two Kabar Dozier folders at the time, one on each side in her waistband - https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Dozier...r+kabar+folder
    I sell knives and I,m wondering

do the big names go to china and get suppliers to build the same knife, to the same specs?

I can see a CEO wanting to pay $3 hr rather than $30 hr

or.. do the Chinese just make knock offs?

in my experience, most of the knives that I KNOW are made in china, seem very well made, and I have not had any probs

the only peave I have is, plz tighten the screws a bit more.

when one is lost, its so hard to find a replacement.

I was surprised when Spyderco went to China. Their stuff used to be proudly marked GOLDEN COLORADO USA PLANET EARTH. Their American made stuff still is.

Part of my curiosity was to quality - both design, metallurgy and build quality overall. No complaints from me on the early samples I bought, and just for grins I recently ordered a current production Tenacious. Just as good if not better... . The steel snobs will still moan about Chinese crucible steel, but it can work OK if heat treated properly. It'll never be D2 with a Dozier heat treat, but it can work for a utility grade knife.

These aren't knockoffs, the Tenacious, Persistance etc. are a separate line... though some copies of other designs are now being made for Spyderco in China.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto

I mourn when DH breaks one of my kitchen knives when he "borrows" it for his industrial purposes. My favorite hard squash knife he broke 20 years ago and I still remember it.... sigh...
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

For good inexpensive fixed blade knives, it's hard to beat the Swedish stuff - Mora, Frost etc. Their stuff works in the kitchen too, or anywhere else a good utility knife is needed - camping, hunting, fishing or whatever. And you have a wide choice of blade design and high carbon or stainless steels as well.

Mora knives - https://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

I just got one of the new Eldris knives to play with - it is the proverbial sliver of sharp steel (about 2 inches of blade) that will do a lot of knife chores well.

I lost a couple of spyderco knives back when I was younger and they were still a newish concept. I had bought some with the plastic handle and it had a plastic clip you could not tension.

Taught me to buy metal clip stuff and I want to be able to unscrew or unbolt it as well.

Here for the past few years I still carry something that folds and clips on a pocket but I have been moving towards fixed blades. Mora as mentioned can take a heck of an edge and are cheap enough to buy a few.

I have more than a few knives.
    working on unplugging.

I lost my Boye rigging knife last month. i will go back to look for it after frost when the White-Faced Hornets have settled down.

I lost my Swiss army multi tool many years ago at a BoyScout campout. I think about that gear all the time, it was way stronger than Leatherman or Gerber, and just oozed quality! Great thread!!!
    I like rum.....

HOORAY FOUND!!!!! Several months later it is finally found. My wife found it trapped in a gasket in the washing machine. If she hadn't decided to clean out that part of the washer, it would still be lost.

It was in there so long that it's stuck shut and the switch blade button is frozen as well. I have it soaking in pure WD-40 to penetrate the swing button, lock etc.

It's just a 2" blade switchblade so it was able to get lost in such a place. This model was never remade. Its called the "California edition" on the blade so there were probably legal issues because apparently even the legal to carry 2" blade is not legal because of the button switch opening. I'm not even sure that Smith&Wesson made it even though that is what it says on the blade.

I searched high and low over the internet and only found a poor knock off. The button on the knock offs is not indented so it opens in your pocket too easily....and I already have the knock off. There was a real version on eBay at one time that somebody wanted $100 for and it sold at that price. Still is not made by anyone and all documentation has been scrubbed which tells me that S&W probably did make it and quickly discontinued and scrubbed web for legal reasons.

I had let it go but was very happy to have recovered it. There is a couple of similar versions made by other makers but not quite the same and they were expensive as well.

Good way to start the 3 day weekend! I hope everyone else finds theirs and now I have given you a new place to look. We have a front loader washing machine that has removable gaskets for cleaning so thats where I would recommend a looksee if you have a similar washer....

Who knows, maybe you will find the Arc of the Covenant.....hahaha. Good luck!
    --John F. Kennedy

I've been kicking myself ever since my trip to Kentucky to look at property -- I forgot to put my Leatherman back into my checked bag before I went through the TSA line (I ALWAYS carry my Leatherman in my jeans pocket), and one of the agents got it. I haven't replaced it yet -- my granddaughter loaned me her cheapo and it's working. But I do need to get a new one soon. Have to decide which one to get, first.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

I also lost a Kershaw a few months before the S&W but I think it got lost on the bus when I worked in the city (Balt) and it's easily replaceable even though not cheap either. It was a scallion or onion, I forget but it was a fav and I'm pretty certain it's gone for good. Even smaller than my S&W so it would have had more places to hide. We also moved into our forever home and if it was lost back when we rented, it's certainly a goner.

I might have to take apart my S&W but I have the specialized tools to do it.

I have a Shrade multi-tool that I keep in my laptop bag that goes with me to work daily. I would hate to lose it. TSA can go bite a big one. Did you ever hear about that old guy who had his Congressional Medal of Honor pocket knife confiscated? TSA is a pretty ignorant class of security and the ones in BWI are primarily black militiant racists so I don't fly much for that reason too.
    --John F. Kennedy

In my truck between the driver's seat and the console is the area I call the "black hole"...stuff disappears there only to be discovered by a strong flashlight and getting one's body contorted in order to explore that area....I carry my knife in right front pocket with a clip....sometimes the seat belt gets under the clip and pulls the knife out and it ends up in the "black hole"....no doubt there are many misplaced knives hiding there....

I've lost a few and lost and found a few. A couple up in the haymow still lost, lost and found on top of a fence post, lost out in a hay field while under a baler, several nearly lost after snagging on seat belts and a few other just plain mysteries.

Knock on wood I've been carrying the current one, a Benchmade Axis lock 721, for about a dozen years. I credit a quality clip that doesn't seem to snag on seat belts like the Cold Steel Voyagers and Kabar Doziers I used to carry. I think the other big difference is the Axis lock, it is easy to close one handed, and I've trained myself (not an easy task) to close it and put it back in my pocket rather than lay it down.
    Last edited by Jackpine Savage; 01-13-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    Was known as dairyfarmer but sold the cows.

Yeah, a few years ago I went to Lowes, don't remember for what. Loaded up.and needed to tie it in. Did not have straps with me, so got my knife out and cut off some string. On way home, remembered the knife, I had left it laying on the cart. Went back, it was gone. It was an inexpensive electrician knife, Barlow brand I think. I still feel bad about it. It was given to me by my Dad, and cannot replace it !

yrs ago ( when I was married) my wife gave me her USAF basic training folding knife

stainless with 3-4 attachments

one day I was up on the mountain out west, and laid the knife on the truck bumper and drove away

I got off the mountain and remembered the knife

o shyt

went to the back of the truck and there it sat. rite where I left it

rough mountain trail with lotsa washouts and potholes.

when the wife eventually left for good, as she was heading out the door I said "here, this is yours"

gave her back the knife

she smiled and said "I didn't wanna ask for it back"

In my wallet I carry an 1881 US silver dollar that her dad carried in viet nam

cpl yrs ago when I was making up my will, I made sure the dollar would go back to her

both her and her sis could not believe that I purposely wrote it into the will, that it would return to her

told them I was just holding it for them

its thier family heirloom.

I carried a Spyderco in my back pocket everyday for over 15 years. Set it under the hood of a car being scrapped. needless to say IT got scrapped. I've been looking for that same model for 11 years now. I find em from time to time but their asking hundreds for them.

a friend of mine made me a beautiful damascus knife. some ass broke into my car and stole it. im still cryin' over it.

heres one of the types of knives.

https://i468.photobucket.com/albums/...nielVALLY4.jpg
    Last edited by kytom; 01-13-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    ========================================
    DONT BLAME ME! IM NOT MY FAULT!
    the biggest thing that we have learned from history is that we haven't learned anything from history!
    Veritas vos liberabit

I've trained myself (not an easy task) to close it and put it back in my pocket rather than lay it down.
    This is the trick (although it can lead to "disappearances " as the OP shows)

Hubby loses knives when they wear holes in his pocket and fall out. He's currently carrying an old "farmers style" knife I got him for Christmas 3 years ago. Biggest problem with it is it's a green pearl finish... when he drops it in the hay field it's hell to find.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    For good inexpensive fixed blade knives, it's hard to beat the Swedish stuff - Mora, Frost etc. Their stuff works in the kitchen too, or anywhere else a good utility knife is needed - camping, hunting, fishing or whatever. And you have a wide choice of blade design and high carbon or stainless steels as well.

Mora knives - https://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

I just got one of the new Eldris knives to play with - it is the proverbial sliver of sharp steel (about 2 inches of blade) that will do a lot of knife chores well.
    Damn, Doz... talk about knife porn! I think I know where I'm shopping for Christmas presents for next year! I may pick up a couple of the smaller knives for butchering, too.

Summerthyme

My overnight bag has a Bubba Knife, a Mora, a Henkels steel, a 10" Smith's diamond stick (oval profile) and one of those drag through carbide profilers for really bad cases that need the bevel reset.

This will get me through most kitchen & butchering situations. When I am in someone else's kitchen, it takes about 2 minutes each to get their knives usable.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable