Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

  If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **



*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or


Veg Brussel Sprouts
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Brussel Sprouts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,743

    Brussel Sprouts

    My brussel sprout plants are about four feet tall, and not nary a sprout on any of my plants. Lots of leaves. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to remove the bottom leaves or not.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  2. #2
    If you don't want those plants to be a total waste, dehydrate the leaves and crush them up. They will taste good in potatoes or rice. I do this with kale and broccoli leaves as I loathe the taste and smell of cooked green vegetables and I can't wear dentures so I haven't been able to eat them fresh for years.

    I read once that the leaves of the broccoli plant are as nutritious as the head. Maybe that's true with Brussels sprouts as well.

  3. #3
    DON'T HURT THEM- at least, not yet!!

    Are you SURE you don't have "baby" sprouts just starting at the axils of the leaves? I've never seen that happen, but there's always a first time!

    Brussels Sprouts take a LONG season (hybrids @110 days *from transplant*, OP up to 150 days *from transplant*... one main reason why I have to stick with hybrid varieties around here)

    Now... to get mature sprouts of fairly uniform size, but when YOU want them (preferably, a week or so after your first solid frost)... figure out the approximate date for that first hard frost (not first nip). Count back 3 weeks. On that date, prune your Brussels sprouts plants back, taking the growing point (top of plant). To make sure you get it, make sure you take out the first 3-4 leaf nodes. (they're close together that far up)

    At this point, the plant will stop putting energy into growing up, and will immediately start putting it into sizing up all the baby sprouts on the plant. Naturally, the taller the plant got before this point, the more sprouts you'll get... but even rather poorly grown plants will produce some sprouts. And you want to time this if possible to let those sprouts get good and frost nipped a time or two... it sweetens and tenderizes them beyond belief.

    Summerthyme

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,743
    Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    DON'T HURT THEM- at least, not yet!!

    Are you SURE you don't have "baby" sprouts just starting at the axils of the leaves? I've never seen that happen, but there's always a first time!

    Brussels Sprouts take a LONG season (hybrids @110 days *from transplant*, OP up to 150 days *from transplant*... one main reason why I have to stick with hybrid varieties around here)

    Now... to get mature sprouts of fairly uniform size, but when YOU want them (preferably, a week or so after your first solid frost)... figure out the approximate date for that first hard frost (not first nip). Count back 3 weeks. On that date, prune your Brussels sprouts plants back, taking the growing point (top of plant). To make sure you get it, make sure you take out the first 3-4 leaf nodes. (they're close together that far up)

    At this point, the plant will stop putting energy into growing up, and will immediately start putting it into sizing up all the baby sprouts on the plant. Naturally, the taller the plant got before this point, the more sprouts you'll get... but even rather poorly grown plants will produce some sprouts. And you want to time this if possible to let those sprouts get good and frost nipped a time or two... it sweetens and tenderizes them beyond belief.

    Summerthyme
    September 15th is our first frost date. I'll inspect them more closely tomorrow.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  5. #5
    Just so you can learn from my mistakes, if you get cabbage aphids, hit them hard and early. It was impossible for me to wash them out when preparing them to eat because of all the nooks and crannies. So I ended up discarding several otherwise decent Brussels sprout plants

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    965
    My understanding is that the leaves of brussel sprouts plants are collards. mmm. Eat 'em up!
    yarnball

    This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
    Psalms 118:24

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,743
    So I left my brussel sprout plants alone as suggested. The sprouts are getting larger but something weird is going on. At the very top of the plants there appears to be either a very large sprout growing OR it's a baby cabbage. Whatever it is it's very hard and multiple layers thick just like a sprout or a cabbage.

    Ideas???
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  8. #8
    Did you nip the growing point off earlier? If so, it's just the "regrowth"... I had one that put out MULTIPLE attempts at regrowing the growing point. Looked crazy... but I've got tons of nice, large sprouts all along the stem of the plant.

    Yarnball... no, "collards" are... well, "collards"!! They are an annual in the same family as the cabbage plants, though

    Summerthyme

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,743
    Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Did you nip the growing point off earlier? If so, it's just the "regrowth"... I had one that put out MULTIPLE attempts at regrowing the growing point. Looked crazy... but I've got tons of nice, large sprouts all along the stem of the plant.

    Yarnball... no, "collards" are... well, "collards"!! They are an annual in the same family as the cabbage plants, though

    Summerthyme
    No, I didn't nip the growing point off, which is why I'm finding this to be an odd occurrence and it's ALL of them, not just one. Our growing seasons has been really weird here this past summer.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,743
    Showed hubby the huge tight sprouts atop our brussel sprout plants. The only thing he wanted to know was if it was edible or not! My kohlrabi is coming along nicely as well. The broccolini has gone to seed and the kale looks like it's going to go to seed here soon as well.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    33,346
    Let it grow until the lower bottom sprouts look the size you normally see and buy in the supper market and pick only the big ones.
    The sprouts higher up on the stalk will grow a little faster after the first picking.
    Don't worry these plants don't mind cooler weather and hit with a light frost will keep going and improve the taste. A frost may or will turn the outer leaves on each sprout black and just peel them off no big deal

  12. #12
    I'm two states down from Packy, in AR. I guess I will go and trim right now as the first part of Nov should be hardfrost time here.
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now with so much happening, so much to see? Life used to be dull you see...and you don't have to sleep alone, you don't even have to sleep at all; and so, all you have to do is show the stick to the dog now and then and say, 'Thank God for nothing.'"

    Drusilla, "The UNVANQUISHED. William Faulkner

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,743
    Quote Originally Posted by minkykat View Post
    I'm two states down from Packy, in AR. I guess I will go and trim right now as the first part of Nov should be hardfrost time here.
    It's supposed to freeze hard here this weekend. Should I leave my plants as they currently are or...???
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,743
    Harvested my brussel sprouts today! They had this huge sprout thing growing on the tops of the stalks.
    Attached Images
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,743
    Here's the kohlrabi I harvested as well, also harvested one very tiny red cabbage. The gardens are now mulched, weeded, and put to rest until spring.
    Attached Images
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  16. #16
    Next year, if it begins to regrow that giant "sprout " (I've never seen that before! I have seen it put out several growing points, or small sprouts), snip it off as son as you notice it. You would gave gotten much larger, and more uniformly suzed, sprouts.

    They will taste wonderful anyway, but youre going to wish youd had a lot more!

    I assume you know to blanch the sprouts after trimming and cleaning them, then cool and drain. Then, spread them onto cookie sheets in a single layer (putting one of those flexible cutting boards underneath makes it much easier to remove them). Once frozen, scoop them into heavy freezer bags or other freezer containers. You can scoop out as many as you want this way, rather than having to cook an entire quart bag (or whatever) and then have leftovers to contend with.

    We only had 4 decent plants this year (rabbits or something nibbled them badly when they were small) I ended up with a little over 6 quarts of cleaned sprouts in the freezer. Next year, I'll plant a dozen plants so I hopefully get enough to last us most of the winter.

    BTW, Brussels sprouts are one vegetable variety where hybrids outperform OP varieties by SO much, that ill never plant OP types unless i have no choice.

    Summerthyme

  17. #17
    Yes, looks like you should have let them go longer. We had four plants this year for DH and I, and we harvested 12 quart freezer bags full. I put 20-25 in each bag after blanching them 4-5 minutes (depending upon size), which is just enough for a meal.

    My mother only boiled brussels sprouts when I was a kid and I hated them. But once I found out about cutting them in half and frying them in a skillet until browned and softened, I was hooked. Sometimes I add red onion, garlic and/or bacon. Yum!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,743
    Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Next year, if it begins to regrow that giant "sprout " (I've never seen that before! I have seen it put out several growing points, or small sprouts), snip it off as son as you notice it. You would gave gotten much larger, and more uniformly suzed, sprouts.

    They will taste wonderful anyway, but youre going to wish youd had a lot more!

    I assume you know to blanch the sprouts after trimming and cleaning them, then cool and drain. Then, spread them onto cookie sheets in a single layer (putting one of those flexible cutting boards underneath makes it much easier to remove them). Once frozen, scoop them into heavy freezer bags or other freezer containers. You can scoop out as many as you want this way, rather than having to cook an entire quart bag (or whatever) and then have leftovers to contend with.

    We only had 4 decent plants this year (rabbits or something nibbled them badly when they were small) I ended up with a little over 6 quarts of cleaned sprouts in the freezer. Next year, I'll plant a dozen plants so I hopefully get enough to last us most of the winter.

    BTW, Brussels sprouts are one vegetable variety where hybrids outperform OP varieties by SO much, that ill never plant OP types unless i have no choice.

    Summerthyme
    Thank you, they are in the fridge right now, I had dinner and this weeks food prep to deal with first. I'll remove them tomorrow and give them a quick blanch and then freeze them on a tray. Good to know about that giant sprout, I think I may have asked about this earlier in the thread. Next year it's going to go bye bye if they show up on the new plants.

    We bought the plants from a local greenhouse, she has beautiful plants and they always perform well for me, so I'll have to ask next spring if they're OP or hybrid.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    36,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Mama View Post
    Yes, looks like you should have let them go longer. We had four plants this year for DH and I, and we harvested 12 quart freezer bags full. I put 20-25 in each bag after blanching them 4-5 minutes (depending upon size), which is just enough for a meal.

    My mother only boiled brussels sprouts when I was a kid and I hated them. But once I found out about cutting them in half and frying them in a skillet until browned and softened, I was hooked. Sometimes I add red onion, garlic and/or bacon. Yum!
    No rain we're in drought conditions right now, and below zero temps, with potential ice storm, later this week, so I harvested them while OC was home to help me deal with the garden stuff. Everything is cleared off, mulched and ready for winter now.

    I do this and add red pepper flakes, tamari soy sauce and juice of a half of an orange, the flavors are out of this world!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


NOTICE: Timebomb2000 is an Internet forum for discussion of world events and personal disaster preparation. Membership is by request only. The opinions posted do not necessarily represent those of TB2K Incorporated (the owner of this website), the staff or site host. Responsibility for the content of all posts rests solely with the Member making them. Neither TB2K Inc, the Staff nor the site host shall be liable for any content.

All original member content posted on this forum becomes the property of TB2K Inc. for archival and display purposes on the Timebomb2000 website venue. Said content may be removed or edited at staff discretion. The original authors retain all rights to their material outside of the Timebomb2000.com website venue. Publication of any original material from Timebomb2000.com on other websites or venues without permission from TB2K Inc. or the original author is expressly forbidden.



"Timebomb2000", "TB2K" and "Watching the World Tick Away" are Service Mark℠ TB2K, Inc. All Rights Reserved.