Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PLAY I'm Your Huckleberry-Val Kilmer on Tombstone
+ Reply to Thread

I'm Your Huckleberry-Val Kilmer on Tombstone

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1691...-and-tombstone

Interesting background to one of my favorite movies.

Val Kilmer Sets The Record Straight About Kurt Russell And Tombstone

By Matt Wood

Hollywood is not without its urban legends. Tombstone, the 1993 western about real-life cowboy legend Wyatt Earp, had a notoriously difficult production. The first director was fired a month into shooting, and there's been much speculation over the years as to the extent of the work star Kurt Russell did behind-the-scenes. Some have gone as far as to say he was the director of the film in all but title, but no one has ever confirmed it. Co-star Val Kilmer has now given his full recount of filming Tombstone and while he doesn't say Russell was the director, he's the main reason the film was successful.

Kurt is solely responsible for Tombstone's success, no question.

Leave it to Doc Holliday to stick up for Wyatt Earp. Originally, late screenwriter Kevin Jarre was set to direct the feature, but his inexperience as a director caused them to miss shots they needed and fall behind schedule. He was fired after one month and then the late George P. Cosmatos was brought in with extremely little prep-time. In a lengthy blog post, Val Kilmer detailed his account of filming, which he admits is slightly different from Russell's version. Kilmer writes that Russell sacrificed "his own role and energy to devote himself as a storyteller, even going so far as to draw up shot lists to help our replacement director."

As Val Kilmer recalls, everyone was "100% supportive," making special mention of Powers Boothe, Bill Paxton, and Sam Elliot for being team players and going above and beyond for the movie. But none of them, he writes, did so on quite the same scale as Kurt Russell.

Everyone cared, don't get me wrong, but Kurt put his money where his mouth was, and not a lot of stars extend themselves for the cast and crew. Not like he did.
    Both Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer worked extremely hard on Tombstone. Kilmer even moved in with Russell and crashed on his couch so they could get more time to time to tweak the script and go over the schedule. Kilmer joked that he got all the best lines (he totally does; Doc Holliday shoots quotes as well as any bullet) and that Russell gave up his own screen time in order to serve others.

Tombstone is an excellent film, and its behind-the-scenes drama gives it a very interesting underdog story. It went up against a different Wyatt Earp film starring Kevin Costner -- which had bigger stars and a bigger budget -- and creamed it. I'd be remiss if I didn't include a clip, so here's an excellent scene of Doc Holliday confronting Johnny Ringo in a stand-off, with some classic Holliday zingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=KfbAFgD2mLo
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

In any movie, it's fun to see faithfulness to time, place and colloquialisms.

For example, Wyatt Earp favored shotguns, despite his reputation as a pistol fighter.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

My all time favorite Cowboy Movie!!!! If you haven't seen it I'd highly recommend you rent it.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

I read a book that purported to be the "real" story of Tombstone and the movie follows it pretty closely. The backstory of Wyatt and Josephine is even more interesting.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

When Doc says, "I'm your huckleberry," I can commiserate. Only those of us who are dying, can feel the complete peace, of knowing that it doesn't really matter what the odds, you're there. Every day is a blessing, but if you get to choose how you go out, that's a blessing too... I've never felt so close to "The End," as I have recently. Not even nearly fifty years ago... Nope, death doesn't scare me, never did, but to anybody stupid enough to push the wrong buttons, I'll quote Doc to 'em... And let the Devil take the hindmost...

God Bless and Keep You and Yours,

Maranatha

OldARcher
    "Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." -Romans 10:9-10

Condition "0," Code Red to Black- ALWAYS

Thanks for this thread, Cardinal. I didn't know anything about the filming. It is probably our family's favorite of all time. We quote it incessantly

Great movie and Russell and Kilmer were awesome. The whole cast did a great job!!! A instant Classic.

That is my favorite western movie too.
    Superior acting and semi-true timeline of events.

Of course I like all the Clint Eastwood westerns as well.

I find myself using this scene in some of my encounters of people who leave in a huff, I used it just last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQql-ZbZmg
    Proud to be Deplorable, Irredeemable, a Scumbag and a bigot! Nothing wrong in being any of them.

One of my family's all-time favorite movies as well. Russell was far superior as Earp compared to Costner. Val Kilmer was THE BEST Doc Holliday, hands down.

You're no daisy!

In case no one noticed - Johny Ringo was Michael Biehn the one guy who made Aliens and Terminator what it was and never got
    much credit for either of them.

'Somebody wake up Hicks !'

My favorite line LOL

I was unimpressed by Costner's version, but the Kurt Russell version is a standout to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kochevnik View Post
    In case no one noticed - Johny Ringo was Michael Biehn the one guy who made Aliens and Terminator what it was and never got
    much credit for either of them.

'Somebody wake up Hicks !'

My favorite line LOL
    Agreed. Always wondered why his career never really seemed to take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Agreed. Always wondered why his career never really seemed to take off.
    I just looked him up and he is from Anniston, Al. not far from where we currently reside.

Johnny Ringo was the man!

From IMDb:
    Johnny Ringo: My fight's not with you, Holliday.
    Doc Holliday: I beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. "Play for Blood," remember?
    Johnny Ringo: Oh that. I was just foolin' about.
    Doc Holliday: I wasn't.

I absolutely love that movie and have a historical fan girl crush on the real Doc Holliday who was the basis for real life Ashley in Gone with the Wind. I was absolutely floored to learn this backstory in about 2002/03 and it just makes his tuberculosis death that much more poignant. There are several webpages out there devoted to Doc & Mattie "aka Melanie". Legends both

http://sweetheartsofthewest.blogspot...old-south.html

Not to bust anyone's bubble,but.......the line is actually "I'm your huclebeara" (huckle bearer). Huckles are the handles on a coffin, as they were referred to in that time period ! Great flick BTW !!!!!
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. -Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by #1 oldskool View Post
    Not to bust anyone's bubble,but.......the line is actually "I'm your huclebeara" (huckle bearer). Huckles are the handles on a coffin, as they were referred to in that time period ! Great flick BTW !!!!!
    In which case the line is a double entedre.

The phrase "a huckleberry over my persimmon" was used to mean "a bit beyond my abilities". "I'm your huckleberry" is a way of saying that one is just the right person for a given job. The range of slang meanings of huckleberry in the 19th century was fairly large, also referring to significant persons or nice persons.-From wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by homecanner1 View Post
    I absolutely love that movie and have a historical fan girl crush on the real Doc Holliday who was the basis for real life Ashley in Gone with the Wind. I was absolutely floored to learn this backstory in about 2002/03 and it just makes his tuberculosis death that much more poignant. There are several webpages out there devoted to Doc & Mattie "aka Melanie". Legends both

http://sweetheartsofthewest.blogspot...old-south.html
    How cool! Thanks for sharing. I knew MM was his cousin. I didn't know he was in her book as Ashley. Somehow the two characters don't seem to come from the same stock.

Much better than the Kevin Costner version.

Simply consider the number of lines quoted in everyday conversation.

One of, if not my favoprite;

"I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear."

Jeff B.
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
    Plutarch (Roman Philosopher and Statesman)

Jeff, it's the accent and delivery that makes that line stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 oldskool View Post
    Thank you
    That ( finally ) makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Jeff, it's the accent and delivery that makes that line stand out.
    Absolutely. Which is what actors are supposed to do, right?

Jeff B.
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
    Plutarch (Roman Philosopher and Statesman)

One of my all time favorites! There were so many good actors in that movie, too. And, I've always thought that Kurt Russell is an awesome actor - very underrated. Watch any of his older flicks - he's fantastic!

"It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

Photography Portfolio

GetMeOffDisability