Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Lots of earthquakes going on, could that be the start of the eclipse and will there be mor
+ Reply to Thread

Lots of earthquakes going on, could that be the start of the eclipse and will there be mor

I have noticed lots of earthquakes happening, areas just littered with them. Do you think the eclipse will have an effect on these and even stronger? I believe this could be the start!

https://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/world/M4/

6.5 EQ Sumatra today 8/13

Sure are a lot of 4/5s in the ring of fire - I think it's usually pretty active like this.

The above link also shows the 2.0 and greater quakes - 2.5 to 3.5 pages of these listed a day.

Thanks for the heads up Craftypatches.

Chance
    Last edited by Chance; 08-13-2017 at 12:26 AM.
    "Apres la Guerre."

Its just the moon blocking the sun nothing new and if it really had an effect causing earthquakes it would happen more often. Now the moon does have an effect on tides in fact its the reason the sea rises and falls each day

I think it's the sun that causes quakes, at least in part. I've been seeing quakes in really odd places lately, like Botswana, I can't recall ever seeing one there before, and I've noticed a cycle of increased magnitude over the past week as well.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Some cool moon facts:
    The moons orbit around the earth is not circular. It is elliptical and varies from around 250,000 miles distant from the earth to about 225,000 miles at it's closest. That means that during one orbit around the earth the moons distance varies by 25,000 miles. That's a pretty big percentage of it's average distance from the earth.

The moon is also getting further away from the earth. The average distance from the earth is currently increasing by about 4 centimeters a year.

Because it is so close, the moons gravity affects the ocean tides much more than the sun. Currently it is causing the rotation of the earth, or length of an earth day, to increase by about 22 microseconds a year. This is easily measured with atomic clocks.

If this continued for around 50 billion years, the earths rotation would have slowed so that a earth day would be equal to a lunar month and the moon would appear to always hover above the same spot on the earth.

However this will not happen because the lunar tides will be long gone way before then. Scientists predict that increases solar radiation due to the life cycle of the sun will cause the earths oceans to evaporate completely in around one billion years from now. The earth will be too hot for liquid water.
    Stars like our sun, while in their main hydrogen burning cycle, increase in brightness about 10% every billion years, so in a billion years our much brighter sun will have evaporated and boiled away our oceans. Earth will be too hot for live and will be out of the habitable zone.
    Ironically this will put Mars in the habitable zone.
    If that don't piss you off, in about 4 billion years the sun's hydrogen burning cycle will change and the sun will turn red and enlarge out to about where the orbit of Mars is now.
    That means Mercury, Venus, Earth and possibly Mars will be swallowed up by a big red Sun.
    Last edited by TerryK; 08-13-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence
    People are crazy and times are strange
    I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
    I used to care, but things have changed

I don't know the answer to the OP's question but...

Scientists have recently discovered a huge rift in the North American crust that stretches from Idaho to the Appalachian Mountains. The unstable tectonic plates at San Adreas, Yellowstone and New Madrid are in this line.

http://bendedreality.com/scientists-...-need-to-know/

The eclipse almost exactly follows the path of this rift.
    I will live until I die and then I will live forever!
    http://needgoodnews.com

There is discussion about CMEs being tied to seismic activity and EQs tend to peak around the time of the full moon.

During an eclipse, the gravitational force of the sun and moon are dead in alignment. I can see how this would bump the EQ activity to some degree.

Will the moon shadow the earth from what is considered normal solar wind and will this have an effect?

It would be interesting to see if there was an uptick in EQs tied to the last full eclipse, in the late '70s, IIRC.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

In addition to causing fairly substantial ocean tidal changes, as the earth rotates the moons gravity also causes about a foot of deformation in the earths crust. It's called land tides.
    Scientists have established a correlation between earthquakes and land tides, although the correlation isn't very strong, it does exist.

When the moons shadow crosses the earth during an eclipse, the darkest part (the umbra) will be around a hundred miles wide. So the moon doesn't really block that much of the solar wind.

Last edited by TerryK; 08-13-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -DH Lawrence

The tide charts don't look particularly interesting for the 21st.

https://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.go...ion=dailychart

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post

It would be interesting to see if there was an uptick in EQs tied to the last full eclipse, in the late '70s, IIRC.

There was a total eclipse over where I live (and a lot of the rest of the country) in 1994:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_...f_May_10,_1994
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Its just the moon blocking the sun nothing new and if it really had an effect causing earthquakes it would happen more often. Now the moon does have an effect on tides in fact its the reason the sea rises and falls each day
    True, and in fact the gravitational pull of the sun AND the moon pretty much line up together once each lunar month. The only reason we don't have an eclipse each month is that the mo0ns orbit is inclined by around 6 degrees to the ecliptic of the earth so the moons shadow mostly crosses above or below the earth by a couple of degrees, but the total gravitational forces of the sun and moon on the earth are pretty much max once each month.

I watched an extremely interesting sermon that Ann Graham Lotz presented on Facebook. I wish I could share this with you but I only have this iPad and can't do it. It was a sermon Pastor Steve Cioccolant had given about the solar eclipse. It was mind boggling and a lot of numbers were given and statistics. For example Earth is the only planet to have a solar eclipse that we know of. . He ties it in with Bible Prophecy. Oh yes and the exact time of day that eclipse begins on West Coast is the exact time the sun will set in Jerusalem. Many interesting parallels. Perhaps if you google it, the sermon might come up.

Ok, I googled it and it did come up under his name and The Geat American Eclipse!

The alignment of sun and moon are always key times for potential EQs. But we are given the sun, moon and stars as signs. Signs point out that something is ahead. We see city signs, street signs, company signs... some far off and some right there. The wise will figure out what is near and what is far. As signs increase, we can anticipate the object of their existence is nearby. Lots of signs happening these days.

Quote Originally Posted by evenso View Post
    I don't know the answer to the OP's question but...

Scientists have recently discovered a huge rift in the North American crust that stretches from Idaho to the Appalachian Mountains. The unstable tectonic plates at San Adreas, Yellowstone and New Madrid are in this line.

The eclipse almost exactly follows the path of this rift.

Fig 1. 1,700 mile to 2,200 mile "Crack Across America", "Crack Through America", and Midcontinental Rift (MCR)

1,700 Mile Crack Across the USA Discovered by Scientists. Here’s What You Need to Know

July 7, 2016 · Earth / Weather Changes, Editors' Picks ·

Is America at risk for Great earthquakes spanning across the full United States? “Cracks Across America”, in Rift zones, may conceal large fracture type faults where scientists may not be able to identify where these hidden fractures may unleash catastrophic earthquakes.

LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) – In Nov 1981, a study was published that rocked the scientific world, and sparked concern in FEMA circles, in which a 1,700 mile “Crack Across America” was discovered. Worse yet, this crack cuts through the New Madrid Seismic Zone, where in 1811 and 1812 three giant earthquakes devastatingly struck the center of America. Scientists have been struggling, since then, to answer the question of what risk this mega feature may pose to our heartland today. Recently, and less known, is a study from an independent geologic research set of work [2], that has identified a possible second “Crack Through America” that crosses into and through the same volatile New Madrid Seismic Zone.

The original 1,700 mile “Crack Across America” was found using modern day gravity mapping satellite data, and using computers, to process the measurements [1]. In 1981, Dr. Raymond E. Arvidson of Washington University in St. Louis used data processing techniques where 600,000 discrete gravity measurements, from 20 years of scientific data gathering, to synthesize a map. The results revealed an astonishing ancient rift in the North American crust that extends some 1,700 miles from Idaho to the southern Appalachian Mountains. New discoveries, from more recent research, has extended this “Crack” anomaly in where it combines with a MegaShear [3] zone to the middle of Washington State and possibly with the Olympic-Wallowa Lineament (OWL) [2] – which reaches to the Pacific Ocean near Port Angeles Washington. Thus the total length may total nearly 2,200 miles.

This ancient rift, estimated to be a billion years old, was dubbed the “Missouri Gravity Low” in the eastern most section of the “Crack Across America”. Another rift, 60 miles by 30 miles, underlying the Mississippi river valley, called the “Reelfoot Rift”, was found to cross through the Missouri Gravity Low and head to the northeast/southwest. These two rift zones intersect at the New Madrid Seismic Zone. Over 4,000 small earthquakes have been mapped within these intersecting “rift” regions since 1974.

A maverick geologist, Jack Reed, performed a study in mapping the frequency and location of larger magnitude earthquakes trending along the northeast trending lineament of the “ReelFoot Rift”. The resulting data indicated another concerning revelation – that a possible second “Crack Through America” connects the Reelfoot Rift with the well known St. Lawrence rift zone in Canada. Just as the New Madrid Seismic zone revealed its active potential in its “rift zones”, a magnitude 7.9 earthquake, in 1663, struck near Charlevoix and revealed its power in the St. Lawrence rift zone.

Perhaps a partial clue to what may link to the existence and nature of the “Crack Across America” and the “Crack Through America” is the Midcontinential Rift (MCR) System. Research has identified that a movement direction of the MCR, from tremendous intraplate pressure, forced a southern expansion of this large rift, where the southern edge traversed directly towards the New Madrid Seismic Zone. The Midcontinental Rift thus forms a horseshoe that straddles and reaches, by its tips, at or near the two major “Crack” lineaments. Intraplate pressure could be intensified into these intersecting lineaments, including the resulting pressure(s) at the New Madrid Seismic Zone.

Fig 1. 1,700 mile to 2,200 mile "Crack Across America", "Crack Through America", and Midcontinental Rift (MCR)

Fig 1. 1,700 mile to 2,200 mile “Crack Across America”, “Crack Through America”, and Midcontinental Rift (MCR)

What can make these – 70-90 mile wide and thousands of miles long – low gravity crack lineament features so dangerous is their hidden fractures, buried in the earth’s crust below. These low gravity areas are called “Rift zones” where the continental crust tried to pull itself apart, but failed. The thinning of the crust enabled lighter density young rock to intrude, thus resulting in the lower gravity characteristics in the rift zones. Other recent studies have suggested that the thinning of the crust may occur from the delamination of heavier crustal rock “falling” down into the earth’s mantle. However, in the case of linear features of these long distance “lineament rift zones”, the case of random delamination from “falling” into the mantle would not be able to explain these highly organized structures.

What is known, is that these linear rift zones have exhibited the ability to unleash very large earthquakes. This has been aptly demonstrated by the three 1811-1812 New Madrid M7-M8 earthquakes and the large 1663 M7.9 Charlevoix Earthquake. Since the regularity of such earthquakes are measured in centuries, scientists are unable to identify if any section of these linear rift zones may be at risk of a sudden large earthquake.

The bigger the length and depth of a buried fracture and its subsequent pressure induced release, the greater the chances for this rupture to unleash a giant earthquake. Indeed, the three 1811 to 1812 M7-M8 earthquakes had rupture release areas comparable to any single biggest locked segment of the San Andreas CA fault region could do – except in the New Madrid quakes, it did it all in the same location with each huge quake spaced only a month apart. With thousands of miles of possible buried fractures within these lineaments, it’s possible that changes in intraplate pressure may be all that is necessary to activate a segment. Another unanswered question is if Yellowstone Supervolcano is susceptible or interactive with this lineament. Indeed, in 2002, geologists observed distant triggering of earthquake swarming at Yellowstone from the M7.9 Denali Alaska earthquake [4]. As the Denali earthquake was 2,000 miles distant, what would happen if a large earthquake within a rift zone lineament was much closer to Yellowstone? Certainly it would be useful to know if there were any susceptible buried fractures in the nearby lineament that traverses near Yellowstone Supervolcano.

Fig 2. Reelfoot Rift zone image mapped via magnetometer data with overlay of thousands of small earthquakes (red dots). Map shows the northeast trending "Crack Through America" intersection at New Madrid Seismic Zone - follows line of earthquakes.

Fig 2. Reelfoot Rift zone image mapped via magnetometer data with overlay of thousands of small earthquakes (red dots). Map shows the northeast trending “Crack Through America” intersection at New Madrid Seismic Zone – follows line of earthquakes.

However, scientists are placed at a disadvantage, in earthquake risk assessment, since any hidden fractures are buried deep in what is called the “Midcontinental Basement”. Without having any data to the size, length, and number of any hidden fractures, it renders any risk analysis “blind”. Only a paleogeologic assessment of past locations, patterns, frequency, and magnitude of earthquakes are scientists able to form a type of a risk assessment. Compounding any risk assessment is understanding the rupture process of these hidden fractures. Scientists refer to these as “Intraplate earthquakes” as the quake occurs within the interior of a tectonic plate. Pressure, within the buried fracture (i.e. “fault”), may instigate an earthquake. GPS, strain sensors, and even inSAR (interferometric Synthetic Aperature Radar) are of no use to proffering answers to these questions as these fractures are inaccessible since they are deep below – while the sediment or crust above hides any telltale sign of crustal creep or stress.

Fig 3. Estimates of the severe impact from a study commissioned by FEMA if a New Madrid Earthquake of M7.7 were to occur.

Fig 3. Estimates of the severe impact from a study commissioned by FEMA if a New Madrid Earthquake of M7.7 were to occur.

Because of risk assessment uncertainty, FEMA and other emergency agencies are left to estimating the risk to America’s infrastructure based on a worst case paleogeologic history (i.e. the maximum at any moment). Indeed, in 1999, FEMA listed as one of the major top four hazards in the United States, as “catastrophic”, would be a giant earthquake striking the central U.S.

Because scientists are unable to predict the timing nor the location of the next large earthquake in these Rift zones, there is a difference of viewpoints, regarding cost tradeoffs of implementation and/or upgrades of rigorous seismic building codes, between the scientific community and the emergency management organizations.
    Complicating this situation is that earthquakes, that occur in the central or eastern United States, affect much larger areas than similar magnitudes in the western United States. The FEMA guide references that the 1906 M7.8 San Francisco CA earthquake was felt 350 miles away in the middle of Nevada. In contrast, the 1811 New Madrid Earthquake was reported to have rung church bells in Boston, Massachusetts, 1,000 miles away. Differences in the geologic makeup of the earth’s crust east and west of the Rocky Mountains are noted to be the cause of this stronger conduction of the earthquake’s P-waves and S-waves creating the distant shaking contrast.

As the rate of earthquakes have been increasing in the New Madrid Seismic Zone and in other parts of the Central United States, such as in Oklahoma, there are concerns that intraplate tectonic pressure may be driving these trends. Other areas, such as the Wabash Valley and East Tennessee Seismic zones also produce earthquakes on a regular basis. Quoting from the CUSEC – “Depending on earthquake magnitude and location, each of these zones could impact multiple states, causing major physical, social and economic disruption in a region that is home to more than forty million people.”… “On April 18, 2008, a magnitude 5.4 earthquake struck near Mt. Carmel, Illinois. This relatively minor earthquake was felt in 28 states and Canada and was responsible for an estimated $3 million in non-structural damages and damaged at least 240 structures in Illinois alone. The Mt. Carmel earthquake shows the widespread impact a larger earthquake might have on the region”

Scientists now believe the Eastern U.S. could have a major quake of its own, and events like the New Madrid Great quakes may happen again, but there is no way to guess where or when.

Fig4-CrackInAmerica

Fig 5. Mid Continental Rift System (MCRS) rotation movement & direction towards the New Madrid Seismic Zone. The direction of the blue arrows show the historical intraplate pressure & movement from the southern edge of the Midcontinental Rift System (MCRS) towards the New Madrid Seismic Zone. The MCRS is estimated to be 1.1 Billion years old.

Fig 5. Mid Continental Rift System (MCRS) rotation movement & direction towards the New Madrid Seismic Zone. The direction of the blue arrows show the historical intraplate pressure & movement from the southern edge of the Midcontinental Rift System (MCRS) towards the New Madrid Seismic Zone. The MCRS is estimated to be 1.1 Billion years old.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Another article about the Missouri Gravity Low, from 1981
    http://www.nytimes.com/1981/12/20/we...k-is-that.html

Ideas & Trends in Summary; What Kind of Crack Is That?
    By Richard Levine and Carlyle C. Douglas
    Published: December 20, 1981

The space-age technology that helped map Mars has now discovered a down-to-earth geological phenomenon - the Missouri Gravity Low, an ancient rift in the North American crust that extends some 1,700 miles from Idaho to the southern Appalachian Mountains. The rift may be twice the length of the San Andreas Fault in California.

Dr. Raymond E. Arvidson of Washington University in St. Louis said his research team used data processing techniques developed for planetary studies to synthesize 600,000 discrete gravity measurements of the North American surface made by scientists over 20 years. ''Without these techniques, a geologist would be overwhelmed by that number of data covering so vast an area,'' Dr. Arvidson said. The computer, he said, generated a color image of low- and high-gravity areas, which were compared with topographical maps. The Missouri Gravity Low emerged.

While the rift is seismically inactive, its intersection with the Reelfoot Rift underlying the Mississippi River Valley seems to have created a ''zone of weakness'' 60 miles by 30 miles, Dr. Arvidson said. The intersection, south of New Madrid, Mo., was the epicenter of an earthquake in 1811 that changed the Mississippi's course. Almost all the 1,000 small local earthquakes occurring between 1974 and 1979, he said, were within the zone.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Another article about the Missouri Gravity Low, from 1981
    http://www.nytimes.com/1981/12/20/we...k-is-that.html

The computer, he said, generated a color image of low- and high-gravity areas, which were compared with topographical maps. The Missouri Gravity Low emerged.

Here's that map https://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/StateGeophMaps/MoGphMap.HTM

For those of you that really want to get into the meat of the Missouri Gravity Low Rift here are some docs to read. NOTE these are scientific journals

https://books.google.com/books?id=YS...%20Low&f=false

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ecalais/t...ading_list.pdf

file:///Users/kimberlybaxterpackwood/Downloads/GSAPOSTER_Mark_Larson%20(1).pdf

http://geo.science.unideb.hu/acta/ge...isvarsanyi.pdf

I'm keeping my preps and gas tank topped off. I honestly don't anticipate any problems around the 21st, but there's enough other stuff going on that it pays to one's eyes open.

I'm looking for a diagram of the earths orbit around the Sun, the one specifically where the earth is furtherest in it's orbit from the Sun that takes a hundred plus years, since the orbit wobbles, to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    I'm keeping my preps and gas tank topped off. I honestly don't anticipate any problems around the 21st, but there's enough other stuff going on that it pays to one's eyes open.

This^^^ With students returning to their respective colleges nationwide, starting this weekend, I'm keeping a close eye on local activities.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    I'm looking for a diagram of the earths orbit around the Sun, the one specifically where the earth is furtherest in it's orbit from the Sun that takes a hundred plus years, since the orbit wobbles, to complete.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_orbit
    Earth's orbit
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Earth at different points in its orbit

Earth's orbit is the trajectory along which Earth travels around the Sun. The average distance between the Earth and the Sun is 149.60 million km (92.96 million mi),[1] and one complete orbit takes 365.256 days (1 sidereal year), during which time Earth has traveled 940 million km (584 million mi).[2] Earth's orbit has an eccentricity of 0.0167.

As seen from Earth, the planet's orbital prograde motion makes the Sun appear to move with respect to other stars at a rate of about 1° (or a Sun or Moon diameter every 12 hours) eastward per solar day.[nb 1] Earth's orbital speed averages about 30 km/s (108,000 km/h; 67,000 mph), which is fast enough to cover the planet's diameter in 7 minutes and the distance to the Moon in 4 hours.[3]

From a vantage point above the north pole of either the Sun or Earth, Earth would appear to revolve in a counterclockwise direction around the Sun. From the same vantage point, both the Earth and the Sun would appear to rotate also in a counterclockwise direction about their respective axes.

Heliocentric Solar System

Heliocentrism (lower panel) in comparison to the geocentric model (upper panel)

Heliocentrism is the scientific model that first placed the Sun at the center of the Solar System and put the planets, including Earth, in its orbit. Historically, heliocentrism is opposed to geocentrism, which placed the Earth at the center. Aristarchus of Samos already proposed a heliocentric model in the 3rd century BC. In the 16th century, Nicolaus Copernicus' De revolutionibus presented a full discussion of a heliocentric model of the universe[4] in much the same way as Ptolemy had presented his geocentric model in the 2nd century. This "Copernican revolution" resolved the issue of planetary retrograde motion by arguing that such motion was only perceived and apparent. "Although Copernicus's groundbreaking book...had been [printed] over a century earlier, [the Dutch mapmaker] Joan Blaeu was the first mapmaker to incorporate his revolutionary heliocentric theory into a map of the world."[5]

Influence on Earth[edit]

Main article: Season

Because of Earth's axial tilt (often known as the obliquity of the ecliptic), the inclination of the Sun's trajectory in the sky (as seen by an observer on Earth's surface) varies over the course of the year. For an observer at a northern latitude, when the north pole is tilted toward the Sun the day lasts longer and the Sun appears higher in the sky. This results in warmer average temperatures, as additional solar radiation reaches the surface. When the north pole is tilted away from the Sun, the reverse is true and the weather is generally cooler. Above the Arctic Circle and below the Antarctic Circle, an extreme case is reached in which there is no daylight at all for part of the year. This is called a polar night. This variation in the weather (because of the direction of the Earth's axial tilt) results in the seasons.[6]

Events in the orbit[edit]

By astronomical convention, the four seasons are determined by the solstices – the two points in the Earth's orbit of the maximum tilt of the Earth's axis, towards the Sun or away from the Sun – and the equinoxes – the two points in the Earth's orbit where the Earth's tilted axis and an imaginary line drawn from the Earth to the Sun are exactly perpendicular to one another. The solstices and equinoxes divide the year up into four approximately equal parts. In the northern hemisphere winter solstice occurs on or about December 21; summer solstice is near June 21; spring equinox is around March 20; and autumnal equinox is about September 23.[7] The effect of the Earth's axial tilt in the southern hemisphere is the opposite of that in the northern hemisphere, thus the seasons of the solstices and equinoxes in the southern hemisphere are the reverse of those in the northern hemisphere (e.g. the northern summer solstice is at the same time as the southern winter solstice).

In modern times, Earth's perihelion occurs around January 3, and the aphelion around July 4 (for other eras, see precession and Milankovitch cycles). The changing Earth–Sun distance results in an increase of about 6.9%[8] in total solar energy reaching the Earth at perihelion relative to aphelion. Since the southern hemisphere is tilted toward the Sun at about the same time that the Earth reaches the closest approach to the Sun, the southern hemisphere receives slightly more energy from the Sun than does the northern over the course of a year. However, this effect is much less significant than the total energy change due to the axial tilt, and most of the excess energy is absorbed by the higher proportion of water in the southern hemisphere.[9]

The Hill sphere (gravitational sphere of influence) of the Earth is about 1,500,000 kilometers (0.01 AU) in radius, or approximately 4 times the average distance to the moon.[10][nb 2] This is the maximal distance at which the Earth's gravitational influence is stronger than the more distant Sun and planets. Objects orbiting the Earth must be within this radius, otherwise they can become unbound by the gravitational perturbation of the Sun.

Orbital characteristics
    epoch J2000.0[nb 3]
    aphelion 152.10×106 km (94.51×106 mi)
    1.0167 AU[nb 4]
    perihelion 147.10×106 km (91.40×106 mi)
    0.98329 AU[nb 4]
    semimajor axis 149.60×106 km (92.96×106 mi)
    1.000001018 AU[11]
    eccentricity 0.0167086[11]
    inclination 7.155° to Sun's equator
    1.578690°[12] to invariable plane
    longitude of the ascending node 174.9°[11]
    longitude of perihelion 102.9°[11]
    argument of periapsis 288.1°[11][nb 5]
    period 365.256363004 days[13]
    average speed 29.78 km/s (18.50 mi/s)[3]
    107,200 km/h (66,600 mph)

The following diagram shows the relation between the line of solstice and the line of apsides of Earth's elliptical orbit. The orbital ellipse goes through each of the six Earth images, which are sequentially the perihelion (periapsis — nearest point to the Sun) on anywhere from January 2 to January 5, the point of March equinox on March 19, 20, or 21, the point of June solstice on June 20, 21, or 22, the aphelion (apoapsis — farthest point from the Sun) on anywhere from July 3 to July 5, the September equinox on September 22, 23, or 24, and the December solstice on December 21, 22, or 23.[7] The diagram shows an exaggerated shape of Earth's orbit; the actual orbit is less eccentric than pictured.

Seasons1.svg

Because of the axial tilt of the Earth in its orbit, the maximal intensity of Sun rays hits the Earth 23.4 degrees north of equator at the June Solstice (at the Tropic of Cancer), and 23.4 degrees south of equator at the December Solstice (at the Tropic of Capricorn).[14]

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    The tide charts don't look particularly interesting for the 21st.
    Check again for the Oregon coast. The night before the eclipse they're calling for a somewhat rare 9 feet-plus between low and high tides, enough to expose a lot of beach (where there are beaches) and perhaps lull some people into camping where they shouldn't the night before as they try to stake out the best spots to see the eclipse the following morning. Portland is going to get 99% of the totality, but I guess there are people who won't be happy until they get the full 100% and are the first to see it make landfall, which means the Oregon beaches in this case -- Portland will get 99% of the totality and of course it will still be 100% anywhere under the path, so they could just hop across the Cascade Mountains and points further east and see the same freaking event, but no, for some it HAS to be the coast or nothing. We regularly get people who get caught by tides and "sneaker waves," apparently thinking the PNW coast is just like every other coast they've ever been to. Regarding the expected tide, here's the text I copied to my notes:

"The total solar eclipse is set to begin at 9:04 a.m. on the Oregon coast, with full eclipse about 10:15 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 21. One of the big concerns for planners is the very 9.54 high tide the night before the eclipse. The low tide the night of Sunday, Aug. 20, creates a swath of beach that is 'deceptively dangerous,' Oregon state parks warns."
    Last edited by tanstaafl; 08-13-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: removing an asterisk in the quote

Uptick in EQs in Turkey - 6 so far today 4.0 and above.

hmmmm.
    "Apres la Guerre."

Interesting Tanstaafl, I keep the Freeport jetties bookmarked and didn't even think about the left coast.

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    Check again for the Oregon coast. The night before the eclipse they're calling for a somewhat rare 9 feet-plus between low and high tides, enough to expose a lot of beach (where there are beaches) and perhaps lull some people into camping where they shouldn't the night before as they try to stake out the best spots to see the eclipse the following morning. Portland is going to get 99% of the totality, but I guess there are people who won't be happy until they get the full 100% and are the first to see it make landfall, which means the Oregon beaches in this case -- Portland will get 99% of the totality and of course it will still be 100% anywhere under the path, so they could just hop across the Cascade Mountains and points further east and see the same freaking event, but no, for some it HAS to be the coast or nothing. We regularly get people who get caught by tides and "sneaker waves," apparently thinking the PNW coast is just like every other coast they've ever been to. Regarding the expected tide, here's the text I copied to my notes:

"The total solar eclipse is set to begin at 9:04 a.m. on the Oregon coast, with full eclipse about 10:15 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 21. One of the big concerns for planners is the very 9.54 high tide the night before the eclipse. The low tide the night of Sunday, Aug. 20, creates a swath of beach that is 'deceptively dangerous,' Oregon state parks warns."
    Good to know, thank you!

After looking at this closer, would you say the 2024 eclipse will be kind of following the second crack?

"Crack Through America" and the Great American Eclipse of 2024" - similar?

Just sayin'.
    "Apres la Guerre."

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    After looking at this closer, would you say the 2024 eclipse will be kind of following the second crack?

"Crack Through America" and the Great American Eclipse of 2024" - similar?

Just sayin'.
    Exactly what I noticed!
    I will live until I die and then I will live forever!
    http://needgoodnews.com

Can a four centimeter mean variance be measured between here and the earth? Seriously, given the track they measure has to be exactly the same given the variations of the moons surface? I don't put any trust in this type of statement. Perhapse I'm wrong, but common sense say's at 225,000 miles this seems a stretch to make such a miniscule claim, even if a divison based on X amount of years. It still is too small imo.

Pastor Steve Cioccolant had said in the utube video in 7 years there will be another eclipse and this one wil be opposite and will send a line following the New Madrid fault line. It will from an x across United States from the Aug 21st eclipse. Will that setup earthquakes? He pointed out that no one knows. Just was stating facts.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
    Some cool moon facts:
    The moons orbit around the earth is not circular. It is elliptical and varies from around 250,000 miles distant from the earth to about 225,000 miles at it's closest. That means that during one orbit around the earth the moons distance varies by 25,000 miles. That's a pretty big percentage of it's average distance from the earth.

The moon is also getting further away from the earth. The average distance from the earth is currently increasing by about 4 centimeters a year.

Because it is so close, the moons gravity affects the ocean tides much more than the sun. Currently it is causing the rotation of the earth, or length of an earth day, to increase by about 22 microseconds a year. This is easily measured with atomic clocks.

If this continued for around 50 billion years, the earths rotation would have slowed so that a earth day would be equal to a lunar month and the moon would appear to always hover above the same spot on the earth.

However this will not happen because the lunar tides will be long gone way before then. Scientists predict that increases solar radiation due to the life cycle of the sun will cause the earths oceans to evaporate completely in around one billion years from now. The earth will be too hot for liquid water.
    Stars like our sun, while in their main hydrogen burning cycle, increase in brightness about 10% every billion years, so in a billion years our much brighter sun will have evaporated and boiled away our oceans. Earth will be too hot for live and will be out of the habitable zone.
    Ironically this will put Mars in the habitable zone.
    If that don't piss you off, in about 4 billion years the sun's hydrogen burning cycle will change and the sun will turn red and enlarge out to about where the orbit of Mars is now.
    That means Mercury, Venus, Earth and possibly Mars will be swallowed up by a big red Sun.
    Well, you are just full of happy news today. Your contribution to my knowledge just ruined an otherwise happy day.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Ractivist View Post
    Can a four centimeter mean variance be measured between here and the earth? Seriously, given the track they measure has to be exactly the same given the variations of the moons surface? I don't put any trust in this type of statement. Perhapse I'm wrong, but common sense say's at 225,000 miles this seems a stretch to make such a miniscule claim, even if a divison based on X amount of years. It still is too small imo.
    Actually reflectors have been placed on the moon for quite some time and lasers have been bounced off the reflectors and measured many times over the years.
    So yes it has been measured.
    And yes the increasing length of our day has also been accurately measured.
    It is getting longer by a few microseconds a year as the earth's rotation slows.

Here's a better worded explanation
    http://www.physics.org/article-questions.asp?id=62
    How do we know how far away the moon is?

The exact distance between the Moon and Earth varies since the Moon follows an elliptical (oval) orbit, but on average the Moon is 384,399 km away. If you had a piece of string that long, you could wrap it all the way around the Earth’s equator almost ten times.

Ancient Greek astronomers were able to make rough estimates of the distance to the Moon using information from eclipses to make geometric calculations. Since the 1960s, we have however had access to a much more accurate way of measuring this distance.

Astronauts on the Apollo 11, 14 and 15 missions positioned retro-reflectors (a bit like the cat’s eyes you see on roads) on the surface of the Moon. Physicists bounce a pulse of laser off one of these reflectors, timing how long it takes for the laser beam to make the return trip - about two and a half seconds. Since we know the speed of light, they can then work out how far away the Moon is to within a few millimetres.

This project is called the Lunar Laser Ranging experiment and it took measurements every year between 1969 and 2009. The information collected has led for instance to the discovery that the Moon creeps 38 mm further away from us every year. It has also allowed physicists to deduce that the Moon’s core is liquid.

When it comes to calculating how far away the other planets in the solar system are, we don’t have the luxury of reflectors. Instead, astronomers use a similar technique which relies on bouncing a radar signal off a planet’s surface. For planets visited by space probes, they can also time how long a radio signal sent by the probe takes to travel back to Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Garryowen View Post
    Well, you are just full of happy news today. Your contribution to my knowledge just ruined an otherwise happy day.
    You come here for happy news? You are on the wrong board.