Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Men in Kilts
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Men in Kilts

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    Actually, there is a lot of interest in all things "Celtic" in Japan; we ran into this back when we had the Irish/Celtic traditional jewelry business, they had buyers at the New Jersey Irish trade show.

I found this on the web,

Now, that's just WRONG!! No, not the fact he's Japanese... but those shoes ruin it!

Summerthyme

Not sure how to post a youtube link, but here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ35SOU9HTM

The drunk Scotsman tune by John Denver...

Thanks, packy, for this thread. Dh doesn't have a kilt, but he has lederhosen.....

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Not a fan of tats, but that tree is majestic!

this is what my hubby has. It's called a "utility" kilt. It is just broadcloth. Then he rounds it out with a black t-shirt (makes all that red hair and goatee stand out!), and then he has a Ferguson hat and scarf. The scarf is so large that he could have a kilt and sling.

Bad Assss!
    Recently a friend told me I am delusional, I almost fell off my Unicorn!

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Now, that's just WRONG!! No, not the fact he's Japanese... but those shoes ruin it!

Summerthyme
    Those shoes are beyond wrong!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by pauldingbabe View Post
    this is what my hubby has. It's called a "utility" kilt. It is just broadcloth. Then he rounds it out with a black t-shirt (makes all that red hair and goatee stand out!), and then he has a Ferguson hat and scarf. The scarf is so large that he could have a kilt and sling.

Bad Assss!

I would love to get OC a utility kilt, he wants to lose more weight first.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Not sure how to post a youtube link, but here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ35SOU9HTM

The drunk Scotsman tune by John Denver...

Thanks, packy, for this thread. Dh doesn't have a kilt, but he has lederhosen.....
    You're welcome, here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ35SOU9HTM

Published on 1 Jan 2010
    Well a Scotsman clad in kilt left a bar one evening fair
    And one could tell by how he walked that he'd drunk more than his share
    He fumbled round until he could no longer keep his feet
    Then he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street
    Ring ding diddle iddle I de oh ring di diddly I oh
    He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street

About that time two young and lovely girls just happened by
    And one says to the other with a twinkle in her eye
    See yon sleeping Scotsman so strong and handsome built
    I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt
    I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt

They crept up on that sleeping Scotsman quiet as could be
    Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see
    And there behold, for them to view, beneath his Scottish skirt
    Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth
    Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

They marveled for a moment, then one said we must be gone
    Let's leave a present for our friend, before we move along
    As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon, tied into a bow
    Around the bonnie star, the Scot's kilt did lift and show
    Around the bonnie star, the Scots kilt did lift and show

Now the Scotsman woke to nature's call and stumbled toward the trees
    Behind a bush, he lifts his kilt and gawks at what he sees
    And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes.
    O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize
    O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize

damn tasty stuff, esp. that fireman.

for the more risque and those feeling their panic mode rising

google " kilt nudes " hit images

Texaco, oh my... lol

I was doing good....till you posted trump jr in a kilt. He doesn't make the kilt look good....not at all! Ick.

Quote Originally Posted by homecanner1 View Post
    damn tasty stuff, esp. that fireman.

for the more risque and those feeling their panic mode rising

google " kilt nudes " hit images

Texaco, oh my... lol

ummm... yeah...I didn't post those here and for good reason!

Quote Originally Posted by BoPeep View Post
    I was doing good....till you posted trump jr in a kilt. He doesn't make the kilt look good....not at all! Ick.
    I don't think it's natural to him, he looks a wee bit terrified if you ask me. The kilt it's a genetic thing after talking to Orion Commander about it a bit and having done some serious research. It's either in you DNA or it's not.

Renaissance Faire guys...anything with SCA types is always fun.

http://s4.e-monsite.com/2011/07/18/1..._550//kilt.jpg

he is from here, pinterest men in kilts, many from annual Scarborough Faire, Texas.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/261701428327405129/

They are into blades, daggers, claymores. And the late medieval era cosplay.

Liam in Rob Roy and his full kilt hung on my office wall all thru the 90's, lol

and hanging out with cops in pubs after Paddy's parade march on the bagpipes n drums is always thrilling

the ladyfolk here have excellent taste in manly men. Great thread.
    Last edited by homecanner1; 08-13-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Now y'all have done it.

Now I'm going to have to get a kilt and see how Mrs. Achilles likes it.
    Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders. - Mary Schmich

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

State of Jefferson - On the Darkside where the cookies are...
    Lads and Lassies, for those of you interested in the history of a properly dressed Scot, may I suggest the Scottish Tartans Authority. I think you might find this website very interesting and informative.

It is unfortunate that most of the authentic history of the Scottish Kilt and Tartans was lost after the Highland Purges when both were outlawed by the British Crown. There is however strong archeological evidence to support both the Celtic style of dress and the woven wool tartan patterns going back at least three thousand years or more.

Being of Scottish ancestry and hailing from two different clans I would love to own an authentic kilt in the proper tartan, however at about $500+ apiece they are a bit out of my price range. Perhaps someday. However for Renn Faires I did make a Great Kilt for myself and a kilted dress for my wife in matching tartan, which I think looked pretty darn good and were authentic for the period we were trying to represent. If I can find a picture I'll try to post it. I will say this.....it does give a man a WHOLE NEW appreciation for women in short dresses!! And yes to answer your question: What is worn under a kilt.....nothing is worn, everything is in perfect working order.
    Last edited by ShadowMan; 08-13-2017 at 06:02 AM.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

I'm another that is descended from The Isle of Arran - the Fullarton clan. I'd love to visit some day.

Now does anyone know how to get drool off of clothing?
    Happy is the Nation whose God is the Lord. -Psalm 33:12

I'm enjoying the music and the visuals and as I approach the end of the first page, I'm thinking, "I've got to jump on and thank Packy for a fun thread," and then I see there are 2 more pages!!! hahaha All the ladies are listening to the fine music!
    yarnball

This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
    Psalms 118:24

This is a real photo of mine (not from a movie as some has claimed) I did not take the photo but I did make the hat the piper is wearing (hand spun yarn made at Estes Park Highland Games while doing a demo) the women is my old housemate from Denver and shows a good example of women's dress from the late 16th to 17th centuries using the Plaid cloth.

Ducan is wearing men's Trews which probably predate the kilt but were also sometimes worn under them (but usually it was one or the other). By the way the great Kilt and the women's Plaid make great blankets women were banned from wearing them in Church in some parishes because they would fall asleep in them (it does work) lol

expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Now yer talkin.

Thanks Packy. Great tribute to all the Scots on the board.
    If it's too hard, you're doing it wrong.

I don't think it's natural to him, he looks a wee bit terrified if you ask me. The kilt's a genetic thing after talking to Orion Commander about it a bit and having done some serious research. It's either in you DNA or it's not.
    Well but it isn't as straight forward as you might think; when I was doing fairs in California and Denver, I noticed that the guys with Latin or Native American ancestry (and even some Asian) could pull of the "primitive style" kilts (leather up to great kilt) pretty well because especially the Latins (Italian, Spanish, Mexican etc) and the Native Americans could pull of look like an archetypical "Pict" who were by tradition (though no one is certain) darker skinned, with darker hair than the later Scoti tribes (or Norse/Norse combinations) that we think of when we think "Scotland."

This is especially true if they have long hair worn down or in a warrior braid, when they start to look uncomfortable (like Trump Jr.) or just "wrong" the Japanese guy; is when they have short hair and a sort of modern look to them and they wear the modern dress kilt (the short kilt) which is a highly tailored garment that really does require a certain "look" to do it well.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Thanks for this thread. First time I have looked at it. I am also looking forward to Sept 10th. I love the Outlander series and I own both the books AND the DVD's IN Blu-ray. Gotta have the full effect, doncha know?

Murtagh is just crusty. Gonna miss him after Culloden......sigh. But, looking forward to Claire and Jamie's reunion.

Love Scottish stuff. Being descendended from Northern England doesn't hurt I guess.....lol.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    Well but it isn't as straight forward as you might think; when I was doing fairs in California and Denver, I noticed that the guys with Latin or Native American ancestry (and even some Asian) could pull of the "primitive style" kilts (leather up to great kilt) pretty well because especially the Latins (Italian, Spanish, Mexican etc) and the Native Americans could pull of look like an archetypical "Pict" who were by tradition (though no one is certain) darker skinned, with darker hair than the later Scoti tribes (or Norse/Norse combinations) that we think of when we think "Scotland."

This is especially true if they have long hair worn down or in a warrior braid, when they start to look uncomfortable (like Trump Jr.) or just "wrong" the Japanese guy; is when they have short hair and a sort of modern look to them and they wear the modern dress kilt (the short kilt) which is a highly tailored garment that really does require a certain "look" to do it well.
    Trump jr is too "pretty-fied", too metrosexual. It takes a more rugged man to pull it off. And funny how some men wouldn't get a 2nd glance from me....but put them in a kilt and that changes. Lol.

Funny enough...dh worked to break up me and a guy I was dating, and there was an in between time where I could've chosen one or the other guy. And they were both on the stage at chapel (in college) one day during that weird need to make a decision time. Dh, in his rumpled clothes he prolly pulled out of a pile that am, and unshaven face.....and ex, who spent more time than I did picking out his clothes and getting ready in the am..... I decided I didn't want to date someone who spent so much time getting "pretty", lol. Plus...dh can pull off the rumpled look very well!!

I've been enjoying this thread, too, LOL! I don't know how much Scot there is in my family -- one of my great-grandmothers maiden name was McBee, but who knows how far back you'd have to go to find the actual immigrants from Scotland in our family tree! Still, I like the plaids, and I like the guys in their kilts! They don't seem very practical for a cold climate, though, LOL!

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I predict this thread will be resurrected on a continual basis, as needed. Thanks Packy. Always lookin out for our mental health
    I think Packy's joke thread is better for my mental health. I always get a laugh out of it, or I leave one. I also share them with others too, they get circulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    I think Packy's joke thread is better for my mental health. I always get a laugh out of it, or I leave one. I also share them with others too, they get circulated.
    I'm glad to hear you enjoy my joke thread. This thread is for those of us that admire kilts, the beefcakes don't hurt either. Btw for those of you posting historical information about kilts, scots, welsh, irish, arans, shetlans, etc., post away, I really enjoy those sorts of posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=239fNGLXYWs

Scottish Moors album.

Published on 27 Oct 2012
    The Ghost Piper of An Allt Mor 0:00
    The Mermaid's Tears 2:34
    Farewell to the Lasses of Mon Tays 7:41
    The Widow of Loch Lemond 10:10
    The Rowan Tree Trilogy 16:26
    Tir-nan-Og (The Land of Eternal Youth) 23:14
    7th Child of the 7th Child 30:30
    Dance of the Dumfrieshire Dwarves 37:57
    The Fisherman's Sorrow/The Battle Cry of Killecrankie 41:37
    Epilogue: Farewell 51:33
    |
    Album title: Scottish Moors
    Category
    Thanks for sharing the lovely music, Packy! Those bagpipes sing to my soul. I identify with my Scottish heritage first and foremost and then with the Irish heritage. Norwegian third. The fact that there is British in my heritage rankles me. HAHA! The Brits are fops. HAHAHA! I'm going to book mark this album for further listening. Truly is a balm for the soul.
    And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. Luke 21:28

Preparing a People to Meet Jesus

Revelation 14:6-12

Click here for a FREE book - Absolutely NO Obligation:

http://www.3asdchurch.org/free.htm

I WANNNNTTTTT that calendar!
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

Quote Originally Posted by Yarnball View Post
    I'm enjoying the music and the visuals and as I approach the end of the first page, I'm thinking, "I've got to jump on and thank Packy for a fun thread," and then I see there are 2 more pages!!! hahaha All the ladies are listening to the fine music!
    The music...Yeah, that's why we're here. ;-p

Dang! There's a way to get pin-ups?! I'm sitting here thinking "Where can I hang that that my daughter wouldn't see?" 8-o

The Scottish wear kilts all the time and play bagpipes.
    Fly Into Southern California International Airport - Ontario Instead. Shorter Lines And Hassle Free Makes Flying So Much Easier. http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/cheap...location%2CASC

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    Thanks Captain Obvious
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    When I find the actual link for the calendar TRUST ME I WILL POST IT HERE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post

really, you don't say!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal

When I find the actual link for the calendar TRUST ME I WILL POST IT HERE!!!
    As a public service announcement for the ladies of this board, the link to the calendar is:

https://www.calendarclub.co.uk/model...r-2018-r201887

And the 2017 calendar is :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KILTS-OFFIC.../dp/B01KTSXTCI

You're welcome.

Back in the group in #56, the guy center right has stocking slipping. I sure could help him pull up that sock!!
    Guns, Grub, and God!

Quote Originally Posted by Border Guns View Post
    Back in the group in #56, the guy center right has stocking slipping. I sure could help him pull up that sock!!
    Real Kilt socks have extra-long doubled or tripled "ribbing" and are worn with garters (that the sgian-dubh knife goes into on one side); many men (and kilted ladies) don't have the right socks and/or are not used to wearing garters; and even those that are, well they are not as effective as modern elastic bands, especially if your legs are rather short or straight (me for instance). I almost always add hidden elastic and "cheat" but that isn't always wanted for real historical stuff.

Not to mention the wool (and the traditional garters) can stretch and if you are in the middle of a pipe session, dancing or marching you can't fix it until the session is over.

Proper Kilt socks with extra long tops folded

modern garter that will stay on for the most part(but traditional garters are usually leather, linen or wool and they will stretch)

Thank you for the link to the Tartan details. I was able to find DH's family tartan easily.
    Attached Images
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

This thread spurred me to do some searching -- McBee, the one Scottish name I am sure of in our family history, was originally MacBeth (the Gaels didn't pronounce the 'th')! Also in English Beaton.

The family history site says the family is descended from the MacBeth of Shakespeare's play -- interesting!

And they use the McLean Clan's tartans, because they were all in the same 'sept.' Whatever that it, but I'm guessing alliances and tribes.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    This thread spurred me to do some searching -- McBee, the one Scottish name I am sure of in our family history, was originally MacBeth (the Gaels didn't pronounce the 'th')! Also in English Beaton.

The family history site says the family is descended from the MacBeth of Shakespeare's play -- interesting!

And they use the McLean Clan's tartans, because they were all in the same 'sept.' Whatever that it, but I'm guessing alliances and tribes.

Kathleen
    Think of a sept as being an "in-law"

Many thanks for this thread Packy. We all need a break from the "usual crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal

As a public service announcement for the ladies of this board, the link to the calendar is:

https://www.calendarclub.co.uk/model...r-2018-r201887

And the 2017 calendar is :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KILTS-OFFIC.../dp/B01KTSXTCI

You're welcome.
    Thank you Pinecone!