Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ADMIN So, I just realized that we may have a “content problem” in the new software - what are your thoughts?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4 So, I just realized that we may have a “content problem” in the new software - what are your thoughts?

Those of you who’ve posted story links on the new software have noticed that the software automatically inserts the story into the post. (The term xenForo uses is “unfurl”.) However, the content itself is never copied into the post body. Thus, it’s a “hidden naked link.” With me so far? Okay, you know we have a rule where content is required. That’s because the original story host site could edit or delete the story after-the-fact, and having the original content on our forum “saved” us from any of that.

In order to follow that pattern on the new software, we’d have to paste-in the content, then insert the link separately using the “Insert Link” icon (it looks like two links in a chain, above the text entry window.) OR - we could turn off the “unfurl” capability. Yes, it’s an option that can be toggled. OR - we can leave it as-is, and let the unfurl do the work for us.

I must admit that I’m torn. The unfurl capability really makes the content stand out. Further, we would no longer have to worry about copyright issues, because we are in fact only posting the links, with the software making a “photo image” if you will of the original content.

So, there you have it. It’s a dilemma that I don’t feel willing to decide on unilaterally. Please feel free to comment and advise in terms of how you think we should set policy using the new software.

TIA!

ETA: The unfurl capability would allow hand-held device users to post more content, since all they’d need to copy is the link, and cut/paste on a hand-held is pretty much a PITA.

ETA2: One of the biggest reasons we require the content on the vB software is because members didn’t want to surf to the source websites. Posting naked links here forced them to, but on the XF software that won’t be an issue since we could read the content on our forum.

I think I need time to digest what you just said, and to figure out exactly what the options are, there, before I can arrive at an opinion. All i know is that i can copy to the clipboard, and now, magically, videos appear too. I like that.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

I know. There are some real advantages to unfurling vs. our current method.

If you let an article unfurl, then select the text and wrap in quotes, will it lock the content?
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Unfurling doesn’t occur until you SUBMIT, thus the content doesn’t appear at initial post-time. So there’d be nothing to enclose in quotes. And when you edit the post, you only see the link. Again, nothing there.

I was playing with it this evening to make sure.

With the unfurl on, if it is a story that the poster thinks could be edited at a later time, they would still have the option to paste the content, perhaps in the next post wouldn't they? I agree that having original content where it can't be changed later is really good, but not always necessary.

I really, really like “unfurl”, but I’m not sure how I feel about it vis-a-vis keeping the content safe on our board.

If it is significant content and needs to be archived here, then C&P the content. If not, carry on with xF's unfurl feature.

Is that a possibility?
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I at this moment, given the national chit storm we face, feel the Paramount consideration is that we are able to preserve the actual words and content for posterity.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

Sure DD, but we’d have to exercise the self-discipline to do that. The first sentence of paragraph 2 in the OP covers how it’d be done. If people do that, then we can have it both ways.

I think I understand what you are saying....what if we just post the content on the next post of the thread? Or am I not getting it?

That’d work rafter, but then we’d have double posts.

Dennis,

It is NOT a binary world. Sorry to break it to you ….
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Well, it is to me, being a coder and all.

Ok, to further muddy things, can we do the unfurl for some forums but not for others?
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

“During the course of your life you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve and that are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up!”

- President Donald J. Trump

The C&P of content has become second nature to me.

If you monkey with the unfurl option, will that kill Xf's automatic embed of videos, images, twits & faceborg stuff?

Deplorable

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by jward View Post
    I at this moment, given the national chit storm we face, feel the Paramount consideration is that we are able to preserve the actual words and content for posterity.
    I lean this way but will go with whatever the crew decides is best.

DD’s post 8 might be the way to go. My first sentence in paragraph 2 of the OP details how to c&p.

I tell you what, just c&p-ing the link and having it unfurl the content would facilitate a LARGE increase in news posting. I mean, it takes 3 seconds to do it that way.

We live on an internet where content is changed by the original source, or is 'disappeared' entirely.

The decision is yours, just wanted to note that situation.
    Buckle up, boys and girls. This could get a bit rough.

Gardening: the next great hobby!
    Got Seeds?
    - Tristan

I can see times I might want to notate the story, and saving against alterations could be important. That’s all I have.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    It’s a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    I’m not afraid of dying...I just don’t want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Easy way is to keep the unfurl option like Doz said and let folks choose to c/p when they want.
    I truly like the idea of not having to format some of those long-ass articles I post.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

“During the course of your life you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve and that are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up!”

There've been times when it’s taken me 10 minutes to format a post. I hate that.

I just realized something: since unfurling is done at page-render time, and since the content isn’t saved on our server, it A) allows for a smaller database on our side, and B) uses the article’s source server for rendering, saving us CPU resources. The people who wrote this software are geniuses IMO.

I feel that not preserving the original contents is dangerous. Not only can the linked article disappear, resulting in a dead link, but its can be re-directed
    or worse, its contents can be changed afterwards. I would not link to an article that later can be be completely changed.
    It means that what I quote or post can later be turned against me by someone who modifies it with or without my knowledge.

And that’s the other side of the equation.

I tried a couple of articles from RT & Breitbart...No unfurl.

Facebook posts do, by link.

http://xf.timebomb2000.com/xf/thread...church.563079/

Deplorable

Interesting.

I just did a quick test using firefox. When I just copy and paste a link then submit, it gives a few line teaser about the story. When clicked, it goes to the article. See below. The bottom 2 are just pasted links and what you can see above was a complete copy-paste of the article.

It looks like if people want to read it on TB2K (without leaving), then continuing to copy and paste the entire article is the only solution. Also I just found out there is a 10,000 character limit for articles.
    Attached Images

I vote for.................
    we can leave it as-is, and let the unfurl do the work for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911user View Post
    I just did a quick test using firefox. When I just copy and paste a link then submit, it gives a few line teaser about the story. When clicked, it goes to the article. See below. The bottom 2 are just pasted links and what you can see above was a complete copy-paste of the article.

It looks like if people want to read it on TB2K (without leaving), then continuing to copy and paste the entire article is the only solution. Also I just found out there is a 10,000 character limit for articles.
    I think our limit here is 35,000?

Yup, that's what I got.

A teaser that hot links to the source website.

Looks like we will have to c&p articles, BUT...embedded images, twits and such are a gimme.

Deplorable

I've been on other Xenforo sites that don't "unfurl" media links but still allow the embedding of other media like videos. Most of them don't want the story text posted aside from a short description of what is at the link.

If stories aren't copied and pasted they are subject to be changed at the source, and it will also be driving up the number of hits on the pages from which they came.

I'd prefer to see it kept the way it is now.

I say use the unfurl feature, and copy and paste anything important in the next post, if it should be archived where it can’t be changed. Those of us on tablets can just ask someone to copy and paste for us, like we’ve been doing. Not everything needs to be saved, but if it’s one of those where everybody is yelling, “save it before it gets wiped,” we still can do that.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I think our limit here is 35,000?
    It was a longer article, but not that long.
    this is the link: https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...s-14891683.php

EDIT: It posted here at full length. I just put it in the test forum.

The character limit is one I left at the default value until we go live. I wasn’t going to set 500 settings only to have them wiped out by a database refresh.

I didn't quite realize what you were talking about. I have been posting the link AND c/p in my practice threads on the first post. I'm on tablet so I don't know how it would work on a phone. But it's definitely doable on tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    If it is significant content and needs to be archived here, then C&P the content. If not, carry on with xF's unfurl feature.

Is that a possibility?
    Or simliarly, a standard can be adopted that fluff content is unfurled, and hard news remains more stringently captured and shared.

Either way, I vote for millhouse to have to write the tech instructions for what we're doing. He's the only one who's explanation i can ever follow lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WFK View Post
    It means that what I quote or post can later be turned against me by someone who modifies it with or without my knowledge.
    It's a lot like being married.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by jward View Post
    Or simliarly, a standard can be adopted that fluff content is unfurled, and hard news remains more stringently captured and shared.

Either way, I vote for millhouse to have to write the tech instructions for what we're doing. He's the only one who's explanation i can ever follow lol.
    Millhouse was impeached. Millwright may have to do the honors.