Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Misc Are you Physically Capable of Bugging Out?

View Poll Results: Are you physically Capable of Bugging Out?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I would

9 12.33%
  • No, but I would

14 19.18%
  • Yes, but I'm not going to do so

29 39.73%
  • No, I'm totally locked in

12 16.44%
  • Other - explain

9 12.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Try going into that area and getting ahold of a few phone books and also news papers for that local. Some times walking into a shoping store you can sometime find real estate sales papers much like a news paper but with real estate sales covering the local area and near by area. These real estate news papers are always free for the taking.

the hired hands that distribute those free real estate books and the free newspaper type stuff don't get paid for retrieving the old stuff - many times there's a whole pile of the outdated junk laying - doing the store a favor clearing out that garbage ....
    Illini Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    I'm 60 and my handicapped daughter is 37. Physically, if we had to bug out on foot, we could do it, but would be slow. If we had to leave, we would plan on leaving in our vehicle. But realistically there isn't much that would be reason for us to leave here, or the new place we'll be moving to in Kentucky in the spring (it's quite rural).

Kathleen
    a forest fire or a major quake would probably be your only reasons for bugging out.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    I'm 60 and my handicapped daughter is 37. Physically, if we had to bug out on foot, we could do it, but would be slow. If we had to leave, we would plan on leaving in our vehicle. But realistically there isn't much that would be reason for us to leave here, or the new place we'll be moving to in Kentucky in the spring (it's quite rural).

Kathleen

make sure you get prepped up for power outages when you move to KY - lot more ice storms than what you're used to in OR ....
    Illini Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    make sure you get prepped up for power outages when you move to KY - lot more ice storms than what you're used to in OR ....
    Agreed, and make sure to stock up on salt, NOT de-icer, for removing ice from the sidewalks, driveway, etc.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Already living in our bug out location, deep rural middle of nowhere kinda place, but if something happened that meant we had to leave, then yes, yes I could bug out, on foot if need be, not a problem that way, we do plenty of hiking around the mountains as a family, running on the beach, swimming,
    If we did have to leave it would only be deeper into the mountains, we already have plenty of spots marked out and the kids know where to go if for whatever reason Mrs Marth & myself couldn't be with them.

Try going into that area and getting ahold of a few phone books and also news papers for that local. Some times walking into a shoping store you can sometime find real estate sales papers much like a news paper but with real estate sales covering the local area and near by area. These real estate news papers are always free for the taking.
    A few other options to consider:
    tax sales
    auctions
    bank foreclosures
    government foreclosures (example: VA loans)
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

I have no "woods" to run to. I live in flat prairie area that is pretty much 100% farm land and do not have any idea of where I could go. Most likely scenario for evacuation here would be train wreck with dangerous chemicals or ethanol -- of course, if its ethanol, it could potentially blow me off the map instantly. We've already had F-4/F-5 tornado so I'm trusting we won't have another. No earthquake danger and little chance of flooding here. Ditto wildfires. So I'm staying put. I'll be 75 next month and am in better than average shape for my age. Exercise and use the treadmill daily. However, I see no need to bugout. I accepted Christ as my Savior many years ago so know where my final bugout is going to be so am not too terribly concerned if that happens sooner or later. BTW my mother is still living independently at age 96 so I could be around for quite a few years yet.

A man i used to listen to on the shortwave used to say "there is no use running,you will just die tired".We are to the point now where we would have to go by vehicle.Can't see that it would be worth much to try.We have pretty much put all of our eggs into this basket.At present i still can keep the basket secure.

For anyone even thinking of this as an option or even a long distance get home (walk home) bag there is one thing you must have and thats water and the basic ability to make questionable water safe to drink.
    I have a number of water containers to hold and carry water in a backpack, but one I can boil water in it if I need to.

Below are a few photos of some of the canteens I have and the military stuff is not bad and light weight and the half gallon I love and affordable also has a handy carry sling.
    I also have a 38oz Nalgene stainless steel canteen, it has a wide mouth and easy to clean and dishwasher safe. The top is plastic and the laniard that holds it is very easily detached from the canteen as to make it safe to use on a fire or pack stove. You want at lest a half gallon of water with you and a little more is ok its just most of todays ultra-lite people would risk going with less.

So this Stainless steel bottle comes highly rated by a large following of people and said a little heavy, but more than makes up for it in the field and it can be modfied for a wire bail to hang it over a fire and still keep the laniard.

For anyone wanting to know the backpack is a Kelty Yukon 48, thats 48 Liter or 2900 cubic inch and the external frame is adjustable to fit a wide rage of adults, so it's not just a kids pack.

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/attac...1&d=1527613433
    http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/attac...1&d=1527613492
    Attached Images

For anyone even thinking of this as an option or even a long distance get home (walk home) bag there is one thing you must have and thats water and the basic ability to make questionable water safe to drink.
    I have a number of water containers to hold and carry water in a backpack, but one I can boil water in it if I need to.

Below are a few photos of some of the canteens I have and the military stuff is not bad and light weight and the half gallon I love and affordable also has a handy carry sling.
    I also have a 38oz Nalgene stainless steel canteen, it has a wide mouth and easy to clean and dishwasher safe. The top is plastic and the laniard that holds it is very easily detached from the canteen as to make it safe to use on a fire or pack stove. You want at lest a half gallon of water with you and a little more is ok its just most of todays ultra-lite people would risk going with less.

So this Stainless steel bottle comes highly rated by a large following of people and said a little heavy, but more than makes up for it in the field and it can be modfied for a wire bail to hang it over a fire and still keep the laniard.

For anyone wanting to know the backpack is a Kelty Yukon 48, thats 48 Liter or 2900 cubic inch and the external frame is adjustable to fit a wide rage of adults, so it's not just a kids pack.

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/attac...1&d=1527613433
    http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/attac...1&d=1527613492
    Do you have life straws in your kit as well?

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Do you have life straws in your kit as well?

No I don't, but I can strain out the little besties thats swiming in the water before it's boiled. I also have Iodine tablets and around here we have springs and small ponds dotted all over the landscape, so water is easy to find.

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/attac...1&d=1527742704
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Publius; 05-31-2018 at 12:59 AM.