Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Seed Carrots-I'm Doing This Again
+ Reply to Thread

Carrots-I'm Doing This Again

Down here in Hot Georgia I plant carrots in fall and they are usually ready to pull in mid December. I could plant them in the spring but the heat tends to make them bitter. There are always some that aren't big enough to pull so I just leave them.

I pulled up some of those in early spring and I planted the tops in with a pot of flowers on the patio. Carrots are really a pretty fern like plant and they complimented the flowers beautifully and now they are putting on seed heads.

Good plan! And they are a pretty plant. I did that accidentally last year - nice re-supply of seeds!!

squeeks

Good idea Rabbit. I always let about a third go to seed and collect those but I may try a few tops replanted. Thank you!
    "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." Hippocrates

My Music page https://poorboyproductions.bandcamp.com/

The fact that we have a "Highway To Hell" and a "Stairway To Heaven" says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers.

How do you mean you "planted the tops"? Do you cut a piece off the top of a carrot, and it roots? Or do you simply plant/leave the whole thing in the ground and let it go to seed?

Summerthyme

I cut the leafy top off of the carrot, with enough carrot left on it to root. I trimmed the long leafy parts and stuck it in the flower pot with other flowers.

Thanks! That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure...

Summerthyme

Wouldn't you know that a Rabbit would be fascinated with carrots.
    Happy is the Nation whose God is the Lord. -Psalm 33:12

Aside from beans, carrots are some of the easiest seeds to make. I got a brown paper lunch bag full of carrot seeds about 8 or 9 years ago which I have been using since. Because I had so many, I have been using carrot seeds in an extravagant manner and I still have plenty after all this time. I started worrying about the age and viability of the seed so I made another batch of seed last year to have on hand. I don't know what the germination rate of those old seeds are because I sprinkle so many, I still have to thin them out alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Wouldn't you know that a Rabbit would be fascinated with carrots.
    Big LOL!