Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Linda Ronstadt Turns 70: A Look Back At Her Amazing Career Before Parkinson’s Silenced Her
+ Reply to Thread

Linda Ronstadt Turns 70: A Look Back At Her Amazing Career Before Parkinson’s Silenced Her

July 15, 2016

Linda Ronstadt Turns 70: A Look Back At Her Amazing Career Before Parkinson’s Silenced Her
    Victoria Miller

Linda Ronstadt turned 70 years old on July 15. The onetime queen of rock received birthday greetings from fans and friends on social media, including longtime pal Aaron Neville.
    Wishing my good friend Linda Ronstadt a happy birthday today! One of the best singers to ever live #DontKnowMuch

— Aaron Neville (@aaronneville) July 15, 2016
    Some of Linda’s most famous collaborations have been with Neville, as well as Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton. But Linda, who has sold over 100 million albums in her career, once even performed her signature song “Blue Bayou,” with the Muppets.

Linda Ronstadt also made headlines in the 1970s for her high-profile romance with California Governor Jerry Brown, who remains a good friend. Even President Obama confessed he had a major crush on her back in the day.
    From 1979..Cal Governor Jerry Brown and Linda Ronstadt pic.twitter.com/KTRBOCamig

— Sly Dude (@SlyDude3677) May 28, 2013
    Linda Ronstadt’s iconic career started in the mid-1960s when she headed for Hollywood with $30 in her pocket and joined a folk-rock group that would later become the Stone Poneys. She quit after a few years and went solo, later telling Billboard she hired a pre-Eagles Don Henley to play drums for her band, and then brought on Glenn Frey, who was a musical partner of her then-boyfriend J.D. Souther.

Ronstadt recorded Top 10 hit songs including “You’re No Good,” “When Will I Be Loved,” and “It’s So Easy,” and by 1974, her album Heart Like a Wheel made her a superstar. But Linda didn’t feel like she deserved the success after years of battling sexism in the music industry.

“When Heart Like a Wheel went to Number One, I just walked around apologizing every single day,” Linda told Rolling Stone in 1976. “I could see that my supposed friends resented me. I went around going, ‘I’m not that good of a singer…’ And I got so self-conscious that when I went onstage, I couldn’t sing at all. It almost made me go crazy… I mean I needed a lot of help, you know.”
    Happy Birthday to Linda Ronstadt who turns 70 today! Learn about her life and career: https://t.co/NTXVP8Wotl pic.twitter.com/4Ypk16XSEE

— Biography.com (@Bio) July 15, 2016
    Ronstadt also talked about the loneliness of being on the road, saying it was far from glamorous.

“Believe me, things are not hunky-dory,” Linda said at the time. “They haven’t invented a word for that loneliness that everybody goes through on the road. The world is tearing by you, real fast, and all these people are looking at you like you’re people in stars’ suits. People see me in my ‘girl-singer’ suit and think I’m famous and act like fools… it’s very dehumanizing.”
    Happy 70th Birthday to #LindaRonstadt, born July 15, 1946 | Discography: https://t.co/ODTFo1to9M pic.twitter.com/zmw4guNYr1

— Albumism (@Albumism) July 15, 2016
    Still, Linda Ronstadt always marched to the beat of her own drum. Ronstadt famously snubbed the Best Female Vocalist award she won on Don Kirshner’s Rock Music Awards show, no-showing for the gala and later saying she’d rather someone show her the money than give her a “who cares” award.

“My attitude is, ‘Don’t give me an award, send me money,'” Linda said. “I know how good or bad I am. An award won’t convince me that a record that I didn’t think was good is good.”

Ronstadt had a similar attitude a few year ago regarding the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Ronstadt told the Los Angeles Times she “doesn’t care” about the honor at all.

“It’s not anything I’ve ever given a second thought to,” Ronstadt said. “I never thought of myself as a rock ‘n’ roll singer. I’ve thought of myself as a singer who sang rock ‘n’ roll, who sang this, who sang that. I don’t care if I ever get inducted.”
    Happy 70th Birthday Linda Ronstadt, 11-time Grammy winner who was kind enough to let us interview her for our film! pic.twitter.com/oKrodTtjpd

— Voice Messages Doc (@VoiceMsgsDoc) July 15, 2016
    While she was the female rock voice of the ’70s, Linda Ronstadt’s voice was taken from her when she was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease several years ago. Linda knew something was wrong well before her diagnosis. Ronstadt wasn’t diagnosed until she was in her late 60s, but she told Vanity Fair she thinks the disease may have started when she was only 51 years old because that’s when her singing changed.

“They have a new way of diagnosing Parkinson’s; it’s with an algorithm and they record your voice and compare it to an algorithm. That’s a way they can get an early diagnosis, but it’s not in general use yet,” Ronstadt explained. “I know somebody that has access to the research, so since my voice has been recorded over the years I might be able to pinpoint when it actually developed, and I think it’s been going on for a long time.”
    Tune in throughout the day as we celebrate Linda Ronstadt's 70th Birthday.https://t.co/2XEjiMueFD pic.twitter.com/uCu8Vb2eQY

— 91.3 WYEP (@WYEP) July 15, 2016
    Before her diagnosis, Linda blamed some of her other aches and pains on getting older.

“I was sick for a long time, but as you get older you do develop aches and pains, and it’s harder to walk and stand up and you get stiff. You know, my hands were shaking and I thought, ‘Oh, I’m old’,” Ronstadt said. “It didn’t occur to me to go to a neurologist. I just went to my regular doctor, my chiropractor and said, just, my back hurts.”

So happy to see #LindaRonstadt recognized with this award: https://t.co/vGPoEblvsm Definitely deserving! pic.twitter.com/oszgL23oFC

— The Boot (@thebootdotcom) January 24, 2016
    Ronstadt told CBS San Francisco that Parkinson’s has made it hard for her to do simple things like wash her hair and brush her teeth. Her singing voice is completely gone.

“I can’t get to the note,” Linda said in 2014. “I can’t make any quality sound. I can’t arrange pitch. I might aim for a note and hit another one. It sounds like shouting.”

“I can’t sing,” Linda said. “I wish I could…I don’t miss performing particularly, but I miss singing.”

Take a look at the video below to see Linda Ronstadt performing live 40 years ago. (Video at link - Dennis)

http://www.inquisitr.com/3311951/lin...-silenced-her/

So sad, I didn't realize she had Parkinsons
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

Truly a gifted singer. What a beautiful voice... Her backup musicians that she helped launch their careers include the Eagles (Glen Frey and Don Henley). Also Andrew Gold (Lonely Boy, Thank You For Being A Friend).

She was the '70s biggest female rock singer. And still the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame continued to snub her until 2014 - 20 years after she became eligible, until she was unable to sing because of Parkinsons. And she couldn't attend because of it.

Here's the Wikipedia page for her: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Ronstadt Very comprehensive... she definitely contributed to Rock & Roll music throughout her career.

Fantastic voice. A very gifted young mandolin prodigy, Sarah Jarosz, sounds fairly like Linda, same power. Saw her in concert a month ago. So if you need a fresh fix, check out 24 year old Sarah.
    Somewhere in the clouds, Your peak is shining, Have courage and go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_cqbxF0cg

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    It was announced about two years ago, there's another thread about her having parkisons around here at TB.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    I didn't know that either. So sad !!!

“My attitude is, ‘Don’t give me an award, send me money,'” Linda said

Poor poor pitiful me ...
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

If I had just a little bit of talent I'd write in here how I feel about Linda Ronstadt, but I don't. Just know that I've had a crush on her and have been a fan for nearly 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    “My attitude is, ‘Don’t give me an award, send me money,'” Linda said

Poor poor pitiful me ...
    No, actually it isn't at all. Very often musicians, artists, writers, etc., are expected to produce/perform for free. One can be outrageously famous and be homeless simply because people expect them to work for free, or even better hold down a full time job while being a full time artist/writer/musician. One does not expect a dentist, lawyer, auto mechanic, hair dresser, etc., to work for free, so why should we be expected to work for free? And I won't get into the argument that most artists/musicians/writers aren't worth two shits. She was great singer/performer and yet very often was expected to work for free or basically minimum wage.

Yeah show me the money.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

OK - here's the money.
    ===================

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetwo...adt-net-worth/

Linda Ronstadt · Net worth
    $115 million USD
    (2016)

As I said ... poor poor pitiful me (that was one of her hit songs too, BTW)
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto

heh . . .

i once had to give her agent $500 in cash, directly into his hands, for her old fiat 850 . . . then he handed over the title.

guess she doesn't need that now . . . or the agent.

she was kinda rude to me in the transaction, but then again i was just a nobody UC student.

Too bad you don't still have the car

OK - here's the money.
    ===================

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetwo...adt-net-worth/

Linda Ronstadt · Net worth
    $115 million USD
    (2016)

As I said ... poor poor pitiful me (that was one of her hit songs too, BTW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqleOzGd3v0
    Liberalism is the willful embrace of abject stupidity.

Look Parkinsons is just getting older.........

Anybody remember a performance on TV with her in roller skates? Shortly after that a gossip columnist wrote that while it wouldn't last, she would be more fun than Jerry Brown ever had in his life (roller skating in the governor's mansion, I guess). . .
    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace .

I thought her best recordings were with Nelson Riddle...............

I love her music. Not so much her politics.
    “What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” — Author Tom Clancy

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I loved those, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcnkCEj2ANA
    Liberalism is the willful embrace of abject stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    I love her music. Not so much her politics.

DITTO Another "star" who thinks it's ok to use aborted fetal tissue to do ghoulish research to "cure" her important self. Maybe she and Michael J Fox can sit around together and whine
    The history of civilization could actually be written by the level of its women ~Archbishop Fulton J Sheen

So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

All the above said, in her early days she was one of the prettiest girls I ever saw.

Still, pretty is as pretty does.

Quote Originally Posted by thompson View Post
    I missed those recordings entirely - nice stuff - recorded in 2008, according to Linda's Wikipedia entry.

intothegoodnight
    "Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

— Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

Loved her music back in the day. However, she clearly said she would not sing for Republicans. Ok then, now she can't sing for anyone. Ironic isn't it? Sad she hated half of her fan base. I loved her song "Blue Bayou".
    You want to save the republic???

The only hope we have is repentance---real face-in-the-dirt sorrow for our own sins and those of our nation, and begging God to let His mercy temper His justice.
    (Thank you Freebird for these words.)

All the above said, in her early days she was one of the prettiest girls I ever saw.

Still, pretty is as pretty does.
    Even though I'm a woman, I've always loved her "doe" eyes....
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Look Parkinsons is just getting older.........
    WTF??! Richard, you can be incredibly clueless at times. Parkinson's Disease is a progressive, neurodegenerative disease which can make every activity of daily living difficult or impossible. It is incurable, and doesn't have much in the was of effective treatment, although some meds can at least slow the progression. About 30% of those who have it develop severe dementia.

Not even *remotely* just "getting older"!!
    Summerthyme

Have always liked her music. Have always loved Blue Bayou.

oh this is so terrible, but i'm gonna share a salacious comment made then in the corkboard.

I met her when I was living in Nashville back in the early 70's. One of my friends was a recording engineer for RCA, and I went to a party and she was there. She was very cordial and we talked for a while, she asked me questions about me working in the medical field and how I liked my job. She told me that she always wanted to be a nurse and if she had not made it in the music industry, that she would have went to nursing school.