Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

POL Among white evangelicals, regular church goers are most supportive of Trump
+ Reply to Thread

15 Among white evangelicals, regular church goers are most supportive of Trump

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...tive-of-trump/

I, as a supporter, wonder why he doesn't attend church more. Bothers me. I pray at least once a day that God will guide him according to His wishes as written in the bible.

Fact Tank - Our Lives in Numbers
    April 26, 2017
    Among white evangelicals, regular churchgoers are the most supportive of Trump

By Gregory A. Smith6 comments

White evangelicals overwhelmingly voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 election and were a key part of his constituency. As his presidency nears the 100-day mark, surveys conducted since Trump’s inauguration tell a similar story.

Three-quarters of white evangelical Protestants approve of the way Trump is handling his job as president, according to a new analysis of Pew Research Center surveys conducted in February and April. This is nearly twice as high as the president’s approval rating with the general public (39%).

Trump’s support from evangelicals is strongest among those who attend church regularly. Eight-in-ten white evangelical Protestants who attend church at least once a month approve of the way Trump is handling his job as president, including 67% who strongly approve of his job performance. White evangelical Protestants who attend church more sporadically approve of Trump’s job performance at a nearly comparable rate (71%), but they are significantly less likely than churchgoing evangelicals to strongly approve (54%).

To be sure, most white evangelical Protestants have long been strongly supportive of Republicans. In the early days of the George W. Bush administration, fully 72% expressed approval of the way he was handling the responsibilities of being president, far exceeding Bush’s overall approval rating (54%). Surveys show, furthermore, that white evangelicals have grown even more likely to identify with the GOP in recent years.

But during the 2016 campaign, some commentators expressed surprise at Trump’s support from white evangelicals, and suggested that his evangelical support might have come disproportionately from those who are not particularly religious – namely, those voters who described themselves as “born-again” or “evangelical” Christians but who, in practice, rarely attended religious services. Some commentators argued that parts of Trump’s rhetoric as well as his life story made him an unsuitable electoral choice for evangelicals. And, indeed, during the Republican primaries, highly observant white evangelical Protestants tended to favor Ted Cruz, while less-religious evangelicals backed Trump over any other candidate.

But Trump’s current strong support from white evangelicals is consistent with their strong backing of him in the general election. In the months before Election Day, about three-quarters (77%) of white evangelical Protestant registered voters who attended church at least once or twice a month (including 78% of those who attended church weekly) said they would vote for Trump over Hillary Clinton. Among evangelicals who attend church less often, about two-thirds (67%) said they intended to cast their ballots for Trump.

Surveys also find that white evangelicals who say they seldom go to church are a relatively small group. This fact alone serves to limit their electoral clout. Among white evangelical Protestant registered voters interviewed in 2016 Pew Research Center surveys, nearly eight-in-ten said they attended religious services at least monthly, including 63% who said they attended religious services at least once a week. Only about one-in-five self-identified white evangelical Protestant voters said they attended religious services either a few times a year (12%) or less often (9%).

What about the connection between religious attendance and views of Trump within other large groups? Are less-religious members of other faiths more supportive of Trump than their more devout co-religionists?

Here again, while there is limited available data (because of sample size limitations), the answer appears to be no. In general, within religious groups, those who attend services regularly and those who attend services less frequently express similar views of Trump.

For example, half of white mainline Protestants who attend religious services at least monthly said during the campaign that they intended to vote for Trump (50%), as did 48% of white mainline Protestants who attend church less often. And among white Catholics – as with white evangelicals – those who attend religious services at least once or twice a month are more approving of Trump’s job performance than are white Catholics who attend Mass less often (61% vs. 44%).

Why would it bother you?

It's not where a person goes that makes them a Christian, but what they DO.

It bothers me because of the directive in Hebrews 10:25

25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Knowledge of the bible comes with attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Calhounshd View Post
    It bothers me because of the directive in Hebrews 10:25

25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Knowledge of the bible comes with attendance.
    Meeting together doesn't just happen in a church.

You realize we're following the Hebrews 10:25 command right now, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Why would it bother you?

It's not where a person goes that makes them a Christian, but what they DO.
    This.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur

Meeting together doesn't just happen in a church.

You realize we're following the Hebrews 10:25 command right now, don't you?
    I do. But, there is just something about going to a church building that raises the experience to another level.

I do. But, there is just something about going to a church building that raises the experience to another level.
    I get that, really, but even that's mostly a psychological point. Maybe he doesn't find the church building the same elevation you do. Better that he behave like a Christian and never set foot in a temple than go every week and twice on Sunday and act like anything but. Remember the Pharisees who went for the sake of being seen.

I get that, really, but even that's mostly a psychological point. Maybe he doesn't find the church building the same elevation you do. Better that he behave like a Christian and never set foot in a temple than go every week and twice on Sunday and act like anything but. Remember the Pharisees who went for the sake of being seen.
    I agree with all you say. It's just that I see him as a great leader in this aspect as well. Many people would potentially go to church on his lead.

I agree with all you say. It's just that I see him as a great leader in this aspect as well. Many people would potentially go to church on his lead.
    That's also true, but it's a pretty poor reason to go. If he goes to church just to endorse going to church, that doesn't do his soul much good. Best just be thankful we've got who we do, and that at least for now, he's doing a good job of things. Besides...if people are going just because Trump does, they're more likely to stop when he does. Only the Holy Spirit can move people toward God.

That's also true, but it's a pretty poor reason to go. If he goes to church just to endorse going to church, that doesn't do his soul much good. Best just be thankful we've got who we do, and that at least for now, he's doing a good job of things. Besides...if people are going just because Trump does, they're more likely to stop when he does. Only the Holy Spirit can move people toward God.
    What you say here is also true. But, many people have gone to church events (Vacation Bible School, sporting events, etc.) and see the peace and joy in the church people and want to be a part of it. So what ever gets them there can lead to a life changing event.

Church attendance really means nothing in the long run. He wasn't elected pope. He was elected to run our country and get shit done. So far he's been doing a great job. I won't fault him on something like that. Also where would he go? I doubt there's any decent churches in DC.

No surprise to me.
    John Ch 8
    31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

I believe in Jesus, why should I become a church member?

1.Church attendance nurtures and strengthens the regular exposure to, study of, and hearing of Scripture.
    2. " " helps put one's problems in perspective, refreshing one's remembrance of just who you are in Christ, and your resources.
    3. " " supports and fosters a sense of restraint and accountability for one's behavior as a Christian.
    4. " " exposes and discredits the narcissism, sinful pride, self-importance, and absence of humility fostered in a "just me and Jesus", self-serving and phony "I am my own God" "faith", submitting only to what is right in my own eyes.
    5.Church attendance is a Testimony, it publicly identifies and sanctifies us as believers in Jesus Christ set apart for His Glorification and service.
    6.Church attendance offer the opportunity for a group of believers to do greater things in concert that they might have done alone.
    7. Church attendance is the embodiment of Worship.
    8. Church attendance is a public confession/witness of Christ.(Luke 12:8 Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:
    9.Church attendance helps us recognize it when our priorities are out of order.
    10.Church attendance ministers to, and dispels our fears, magnifying our faith and courage.
    11.Church attendance encourages and strengthens family bonds.
    12.Church attendance is a place to bring repentance and obtain forgiveness.
    13.Church attendance is a manifest denial of our "aloneness", a public declaration of our eternal bond, in Christ, with the other members.
    14.Church attendance is a tap into the wisdom, support, trust, love, advice, of other members and an opportunity to serve them and others with the unique gifts and abilities which God bestowed upon you.
    15.Church attendance, particularly communion is a periodic public acknowledgement of, and refreshment and renewal of our strength, faith, and commitment to God, and each other through the Holy Spirit.
    16. Church attendance enables ready access to the power of Christians bonded in united prayer.
    17, Church attendance offers you the opportunity to champion and bring out the best in other people and for you to meet and benefit from the kind of people who will do that for you.
    18. Church attendance bonds you across cultures, nations, languages and races to the body of Christ, giving you refuge, friends and a home wherever you go in the world.
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 06-19-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    Proverbs 18:13 Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

13 He that answereth before that he heareth, showeth himself to be a fool; and worthy of shame.