Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FOOD food banks
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: food banks

food banks

cpl yrs ago, I tried to give 12 dz eggs to our local food bank

took me 4 days of BS, b4 I finally sold them 12, dz eggs

recently. a lady told me that for a donation of 8 cans of food, I could participate in an event.

no prob

I went home and gathered 8 cans to donate

took them down and donated

one day later I get an email saying, my donation had been rejected, and to come take back my donation.

apparently, the food I had donated was ..outdated.

its the stuff I eat(except for creamed corn.. hate that stuff)

mebbe I,m old fashioned, but.. if you're using a food bank.. its because you cant feed your family??

apparently, NOT

apparently, these days.. you submit your menu and EXPECT it to be filled.

I WANT to participate in this event, so I will (hopefully) find something they will accept.

I come from a welfare family(40 yrs ago), where welfare was a shame

apparently, these days, its a badge of honor, and you dictate what is acceptable????

how many of these 'receiving familys' actually NEED this?

or is it.. just MORE than I can get for free?

I am pretty PO,d about this BUT

tiHs is the food.... I eat..

rite off the shelves of my pantry

now.. if I was a conspiracy type person.. and the gov was 'taking from hoarders',

would this 'outdated '(apparently, not fit for humans/) stuff, be classified as part of my 'hoard'?

I want to participate, so that I mite be a vendor at this venue...

still... burns my ass

Must not have been halil

If they don't want and can't appreciate it, don't let it weigh on your conscience...you made a sincere effort. Their loss.

Zeker providing out of date food or anything might be a liability issue.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

I volunteer at my local food bank. We would not reject any canned food. If it is expired we still take it and give it to the very needy.

We give eggs to the local food bank. As much as we have left-over and don't eat ourselves.

The only thing they hinted about was the labeling on the egg carton. For example, if it says white extra large eggs from Kroger and we are putting medium brown eggs in them.
    I guess recipients at the food bank wouldn't understand the discrepancy, like they do at the Farmer's market. People there donate their used egg cartons back to the Farmers to help off-set costs.

The men at the Food bank told me that the people who come there are genuinely appreciative of what they are given. Many of them are elderly and can't make it on their pitifully small Social Security checks.
    So I went to egg cartons. com and bought hundreds of the split cartons so that the eggs are not labeled by anyone with size, color or store markings. This way too, more people can get eggs. Granted, they only get 6 and not a whole dozen, but so many people go there it's now reached over 1,100 a month. I've talked others into giving their excess eggs to the Food bank too. Every bit counts in this day and age.

Don't get discouraged.

A friend of my son is on disability, waiting for a heart transplant. He gets foodbank because of it, and gets tons more food than he can ever eat. He gives a lot of it to my son. It's nothing for him to get three or more flats of yoghurt, several dozen eggs, numerous bottles of juice and milk. Much of it seems like really odd items. Bags of walnuts, large boxes of raisins, a whole unsliced and frozen block of deli ham, 10 pounds or whatever they weigh. A lot of it is close to being outdated, or already is by the time my son gets it.
    From what I've heard, a lot of the food gets thrown away. There is seldom anything to make complete meals, and they get such big amounts of the same few things that I'm sure they get pretty tired of them.
    I used to work in a grocery store years ago. They gave a lot of outdated or dented cans to the food bank. After a couple of years they stopped. When I asked why, I was told they were afraid somebody would sue them, claiming to have gotten food poisoning.
    It's a shame that a better system can't be developed. A neighboring town gets monetary donations, and uses them to buy fresh meat and veggies. They have coolers or freezers to store the food until it's time to give it out. It sounded like they get very nice packages, with probably much less waste.
    I could make it cheaper!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoss View Post
    I volunteer at my local food bank. We would not reject any canned food. If it is expired we still take it and give it to the very needy.
    Actually, your food bank, IF they followed the rules, MIGHT have rejected the canned goods, depending on how outdated they were. There ARE acceptable over date parameters up to which the banks are allowed to distribute, but we regularly pitch stuff that is too far outdated...and ours is the largest bank in Cuyahoga and Lake counties here in Ohio.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

don't blame anyone or any agency that deal with the "underprivileged" to be SUPER careful about their dealings - these people are likely to get some ambulance chasing deadbeat lawyer and sue - there's no lack of lawyers cruising the ghetto helping the helpless ....

only saving grace these days is that most are on retainer by either Mexico or a sanctuary city fighting ICE ....
    Illini Warrior

Our food bank distributes canned food that is a little past date, donated eggs and veggies, and occasional opened boxes if they know the source. The opened boxes are only given to those willing to chance and not sue happy. We do get some odd things, and I am usually the recipient because I like a lot of odd things.

The food that is really iffy gets given to those with chickens or other critters who are good disposal systems.

We occasionally get garden starts as well, which is also helpful.

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com
    JackiGossSpecial-Tees.com

My experience with foods banks comes from having used them when I was homeless and lived sometimes in the shelter the rest in the woods or State Park.

FB fr the church with the shelter had no refridgeration so they would not take anything needing to be kepot cool-milk, eggs, cheese and so forth.

They gave out mostly hunks of bread-usually pieces of French bread. Small jars of PB and some canned stuff-it really looked like what they gave out was what everyone else working at the place did not want. Having insider info asto how the shelter [[with a feeding program-crowds of people show up at morning/midday/evening meals for a cup of soup and some bread, sometimes a bit more-maybr spaghetti.]] since I was on good terms [[roomed with and hung with]] the cook and some of the guys running the place I got dibs on the roast and sometimes steak they would get. I thought it was kind of dickish of them at the time but further consideration is simply they did not get enough of the better stuff to feed 50+ people so to not cause issues those were held back for the staff who both ran the place and lived there.

A different FB in the area would load you up with plenty of canned goos and plenty of fresh stuff-but the fresh stuff was a mix of cut up melon, veggies and so forth-salads donated by the local grocery chain. They apparently had a bit more cold storage but I cannot imagiune them holding that stuff longer than closing time for the store the previous night to handing it out the next day.

As far as expired dated goods? The FB with the veggies would not take it-there is always the concern of someone getting sick and suing as is the reasons most restaurants do not donate excess foods at the end of the shift/day-there is a sickening tonnage of waste but everyone who would help is concerned about getting sued.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is it's last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury, not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take... inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    Actually, your food bank, IF they followed the rules, MIGHT have rejected the canned goods, depending on how outdated they were. There ARE acceptable over date parameters up to which the banks are allowed to distribute, but we regularly pitch stuff that is too far outdated...and ours is the largest bank in Cuyahoga and Lake counties here in Ohio.
    I'm not up on all the regulations -- just a volunteer. I suppose there must be some limit to expired canned goods but I haven't seen it yet.

Like I said, expired goods are not in the normal rotation but we have a select group of very needy that get these kinds of things.

As to the variety, we purchase directly from the Northern Illinois Food Bank for many items. Local grocery stores donate meats, fresh veggies and fruit, and breads/deserts. Donations from individuals make up the rest.

The food we give out varies by the week depending on what we have.

One interesting tidbit -- it is obvious to me that not many people cook from scratch. Bulk grains, rice etc often sit there for awhile.

I'm not up on all the regulations -- just a volunteer. I suppose there must be some limit to expired canned goods but I haven't seen it yet.

Like I said, expired goods are not in the normal rotation but we have a select group of very needy that get these kinds of things.

As to the variety, we purchase directly from the Northern Illinois Food Bank for many items. Local grocery stores donate meats, fresh veggies and fruit, and breads/deserts. Donations from individuals make up the rest.

The food we give out varies by the week depending on what we have.

One interesting tidbit -- it is obvious to me that not many people cook from scratch. Bulk grains, rice etc often sit there for awhile.
    This is me, only in the central Illinois region. I've worked at two food banks. Out of date is a no no. Sad, but the rule, and yet, it matters not as there is plenty of food. We create tables with stations and controls. We often give them choices, but with limits, to spread the wealth. Then, after everyone has gone thru, a second round is allowed. Few make it back. Most leave with three to five bags full. Some are good shoppers, others are not so good.

It is what it is,but it certainly is a great free program. And from what I see, there is no shortage of food banks. It's there for those less fortunate, or in need. Just find it.

Looks like a potential for an entity to touch base with food banks that don't accept past due dates, to save up for the guy who does.........

We have lots of food as well. Most people leave with an overflowing cart.

As I have said many times, there is no need to starve in my area. But, we are in a relatively affluent area. Not sure if this would be the case in a poor community.

The best Christian food pantry there is (in my book) could not accept outdated stuff because they knew they would get sued.

I know this from my volunteer time there. They have no choice when it comes to accepting outdated foods......it has to be tossed. I agree it is sad but in this sue happy era they can't risk it..

the local banks along front range area accept canned food it it's a bit past best buy...but probably not all........variations of personal policies.......I just donated frozen Boca crumbles which had a best sell date of July 2017....I hope they passed them and distributed it, but if not......heh...I did try to help local needies........

most of the people I see are not elderly.........a real mix........I help one on one more than I give to pantries.........
    Sapphire

myopically challenged

I sometimes help stock shelves at the county food bank. It is strange how the shelves are full of things like canned and dried beans and bags of rice. Apparently people don't want the foods they have to cook, the biggest demand is for things that don't require cooking. Things like canned pasta, stews and such. And most of the people are not homeless, they have addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by closet squirrel View Post
    I sometimes help stock shelves at the county food bank. It is strange how the shelves are full of things like canned and dried beans and bags of rice. Apparently people don't want the foods they have to cook, the biggest demand is for things that don't require cooking. Things like canned pasta, stews and such. And most of the people are not homeless, they have addresses.
    Yes, I am reasonably certain, there are plenty of people who cannot cook, but..... from watching TV, not sure how accurate it is, there are also lots of people who do not have cooking facilities.

People might have an address, but not all social housing / low rent properties / budget motel rooms / other low rent places, include a cooker. People might have some cooking skills, but, if all you have is cheap plug in electric hob, then you will not be doing anything more than heating stuff up. Besides, many places ban things like plug in electric hot plates, as fire hazards, and will kick someone out, if they are caught using one.

And if you have no money, and need to use a food bank, you won’t want to spend money on fuel to cook things. Ie heating things up may be too expensive.

Anrol
    Last edited by Anrol5; 06-18-2017 at 08:12 AM. Reason: readability

We had a lot of good food that was out-dated that we couldn't eat. The food pantry couldn't accept it so we went to the pastor of the church down the road and asked about someone who needed it. The pastor spoke to someone and we were able to give it directly to someone who really needed it and didn't mind that it was out dated.

There is a huge problem on both sides of the water with "emergency housing" in either shelter or motel rooms that not only don't have cooking facilities in many cases are allowed to kick out anyone who managed to get hold of an electric kettle, burner, microwave or tiny slow cooker.

As a person who is thankfully in a better off situation, I can attest to just how hard it is to eat well (aka from scratch) well living out of hotels and B and B's traveling with my husband recently; and we have the option to do things like bring in small cool boxes or just give up and eat out (or hit the grocery store every day).

That said, I think a return to the days of good old fashioned "cooking clubs" like they used to have in the early 20th century "Settlement Houses" or run by Churches or charities would not go amiss; to help those people who DO have kitchens, as well as encouraging companies (or even second hand shops) to do drives to provide each family with one pot, one skillet, a cutting board etc.

For the very poor, those things are not an option; and if you are not allowed to cook than a can of cold beans is food you can eat (if not enjoy much) but dried beans are impossible to properly cook (you need at least enough heat to boil the beans after soaking and that isn't going to happen on the motel radiator).

Of course the food industry will fight that tooth and nail, they don't make nearly as much money that way...
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

We have lots of food as well. Most people leave with an overflowing cart.

As I have said many times, there is no need to starve in my area. But, we are in a relatively affluent area. Not sure if this would be the case in a poor community.
    In our area there is not enough food for the numbers of people who come in.... so the first in, gets the best selections. They are divided up as evenly as possible, but towards the end, there's a lot of pastas and bread left-over, but no real protein or dairy for the late comers.
    Same with the eggs my friends and I donate, there's only so much we can give, but with 1,100 people to feed each month, there'll never be enough eggs.

MM

PS. We live in a small town so many of the people coming in for services at the food bank are from the country and surrounding areas. This is a very poor area outside of the town limits. In town the people are fairly well off...lawyers and doctors and such.

We run between 100 and 150 families per week. Produce weeks we can serve 200 families (families run 1 to 10 people, avg over 3) and that is with a congregation of just over 200 people.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

At the food pantry where I volunteer we follow the USDA guidelines about what we can give out past the best by dates. For intact cans(no rust, bloating or severe dents) we can give out low acid foods 5 years past the best by date. For high acid foods, one year past the date. For boxed or bagged food, one year past the date. Some things like mayo or baby food we can't give out even one minute past the date.

Good Samaritan laws protect the food pantries and businesses like grocery stores who donate to them.

Quote Originally Posted by coloradohermit View Post
    At the food pantry where I volunteer we follow the USDA guidelines about what we can give out past the best by dates. For intact cans(no rust, bloating or severe dents) we can give out low acid foods 5 years past the best by date. For high acid foods, one year past the date. For boxed or bagged food, one year past the date. Some things like mayo or baby food we can't give out even one minute past the date.

Good Samaritan laws protect the food pantries and businesses like grocery stores who donate to them.
    Thank you. This is exactly what we do as well. I have thrown baby food out the was one day past the expiration date.

Well mad max ate old dog food, wounder how many starving here after shit hits the fan will do that,, I would I would even eat cc's maggots.
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS
    LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by dogmanan View Post
    Well mad max ate old dog food, wounder how many starving here after shit hits the fan will do that,, I would I would even eat cc's maggots.
    I think the "good Samaritan" laws would prevent you from doing that - IF they were ONE day beyond their "expiration" date. I guess there are poor hungry people who would pounce on and sue food pantries if they chose a jar or can of FOOD and it made them ill.
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

Our community garden tithes ten percent of our harvest to the Church based community food bank. Its weighed weekly, so we know from year to year how much was donated. WIC moms use it. Right now its early, only lettuce, spinach, rhubarb, strawberries ready but by August we will clock in usually a tally of 1800-2000 lbs of tomatoes, zuchinni and cukes etc. For folks in wheelchairs and on walkers who can no longer even tend a window or balcony garden, its a blessing I am happy to do.

Zeker up to 5th grade I used to dislike creamed corn too till I had a creamed corn casserole to die for. Look up slow cook crock pot creamed corn with cream cheese and add some herb bread crumbs on top. Or better, crushed Ritz crackers. Like creamed spinach, makes for a yummy dish to pass for Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by dogmanan View Post
    ........I would I would even eat cc's maggots.
    I know what you were trying to say..... but that just came out wrong

Always said if I ever owned a restaurant or fast food place I'd also have a passel
    of hogs awaiting to nightly get fed all the daily scraps, would not waste any of it.

Outdated donated food at FB's, instead of being thrown out, might consider same.

- Shane

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT NUCLEAR DESTRUCTION!
    WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT!
    When An ill Wind Blows From Afar! (Overseas Fallout)

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
    the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."
    - Proverbs 22:3

when I volunteered years ago at Rocky Mountain Food bank....one of the largest distribution places in the state......I saw the piggy boxes they sent.......YUCK.......hope I never have to eat such horrible carp they sent the pig farmers.....absolute garbage........smashed candy galore.....stale cheap pastry/donuts/bread........just nasty stuff........
    Sapphire

myopically challenged

ok. I have found 8 cans that are not outdated, in my pantry

I went over 60 plus cans

spaghetti sauce from 2013

I ate that last nite and gonna have it tonite

the eggs I tried to donate were all fresh from my girls.

the food bank just couldn't be bothered to have me deliver them.

Quote Originally Posted by homecanner1 View Post
    Zeker up to 5th grade I used to dislike creamed corn too till I had a creamed corn casserole to die for. Look up slow cook crock pot creamed corn with cream cheese and add some herb bread crumbs on top. Or better, crushed Ritz crackers. Like creamed spinach, makes for a yummy dish to pass for Thanksgiving!
    sry HC.

NO

Just NO

I musta ate too much as a kid.

I love corn

just not the pre-chewed stuff

Quote Originally Posted by coloradohermit View Post

if someone told you that the so-called "Samaritan Laws" makes a company or agency bulletproof against lawsuits - you need to talk seriously to a knowledgeable legal agency - a good lawyer can dance around such laws without much trouble and get a judge to accept a filing .... neglect and lack of due diligence gets you sued everytime ...
    Illini Warrior

I know what you were trying to say..... but that just came out wrong

Yes it did , o well it is funny as hell.
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS
    LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt

Look up Feeding America, they feed a lot of people. They have organized just about all of the grocery chains in the country to donate expired, or close to expiring food, and then sell it to food banks at a reduced price. They have taken a charity and turned it into a million dollar industry with regulations out the yang yang. I can understand the need for tight regulations with food involved but it's a business and a very profitable one. Just doing what the diminishing churches in this country used to do except for the profit part.

Tennessee's version of Gotham (Knoxville)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Look up Feeding America, they feed a lot of people. They have organized just about all of the grocery chains in the country to donate expired, or close to expiring food, and then sell it to food banks at a reduced price. They have taken a charity and turned it into a million dollar industry with regulations out the yang yang. I can understand the need for tight regulations with food involved but it's a business and a very profitable one. Just doing what the diminishing churches in this country used to do except for the profit part.
    And that is what I call a good example of the hypocrisy of the not for profit.
    1 Corinthians 18:20 I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville's Joker View Post
    And that is what I call a good example of the hypocrisy of the not for profit.
    I was wondering about that group. In our area, Walmart, Jewel, Aldi's, and Trader Joes donate meat, produce, and bakery goods free to the food bank when they are near the expiration date.
    Volunteers from the food bank drive to the store and pick it up.

Why does there need to be a middleman?

I have often wondered what Wegmans does with their old baked goods. You wouldn't believe everything they bake in a day, especially at the bigger stores. I know they can't be selling it all to regular customers. There's just too much. Hmmm............. I suppose I'll never know, but their baked goods are to die for. Breads, rolls, bagels, cakes, cookies, pies, muffins, OMG just anything baked, they got it.

Well, here. Look at the pictures yourself:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...81.E48uCJwZfUg

So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    I have often wondered what Wegmans does with their old baked goods. You wouldn't believe everything they bake in a day, especially at the bigger stores. I know they can't be selling it all to regular customers. There's just too much. Hmmm............. I suppose I'll never know, but their baked goods are to die for. Breads, rolls, bagels, cakes, cookies, pies, muffins, OMG just anything baked, they got it.

Well, here. Look at the pictures yourself:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...81.E48uCJwZfUg

We get wonderful baked goods -- especially from Trader Joes. Some days I get hungry at the food bank looking at really good deserts. Jewels has some good stuff as well.

We get wonderful baked goods -- especially from Trader Joes. Some days I get hungry at the food bank looking at really good deserts. Jewels has some good stuff as well.
    Oh, I bet. I only ever had to go to a food bank for a brief time years ago after I lost a job. And even though it was located in the richest suburb, they mostly had things like pasta, rice and canned goods. I never saw baked goods there once. Or much dairy, meat or fresh produce. Oh well, maybe it's changed now. I was glad to get anything then.
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Our local grocers donate bakery, meat and produce to our food bank. Starbucks donates their unsold pastries. Mission tortilla donates their soon to expire chips and tortillas. The local health food store donates soon to expire and overstock vegan stuff. The local gas and go store donates snacks and microwave sandwiches. We even have a fellow who owns a vending machine company who brings us all the stuff(snacks and sodas) he rotates out. There's nothing like a little treat when you're struggling thru a rough patch.

If you want to know what, if anything, a store donates, all you have to do is ask them.