Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

DISASTER UK: Lancaster Estate tower disaster - death toll at 79, Other Towers Evacuated!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    The building should have been sprinkled.

They would have hooked up pumpers to the building connection outside and poured water in it that way.

It should have an internal tank and fire pump to keep things suppressed until the fire dept could start boosting.

I'm wondering if the sprinkler system was inop?
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

finally, a woman on sky news said people are calling for an investigation into the safety of the cladding material that was used on the outside.
    Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one big "little bit" now several inches taller than me

There is a school next door to the building that has the same type of cladding on the exterior. (sky news )
    Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one big "little bit" now several inches taller than me

London Ambulance‏Verified account @Ldn_Ambulance 58s58 seconds ago

We have taken 30 patients to five London hospitals following the fire at #GrenfellTower & we remain on scene

statement: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCQfvb1XUAEfupb.jpg
    Attached Images

Dr Aliya Shah‏ @aliya_Hshah 2m2 minutes ago

#BBC reporting that people have been jumping onto airbags from their windows to escape #GrenfellTower #latimerroad #londonfire

there were some 2-bedroom units too, not just 4-bedroom flats in the plan below

Mark Ashley‏ @themarkashley

#Grenfell Tower floor plan. "Improved" high density layout means one set of stairs for 24 stories of 120 apartments. #LondonFire

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCQWZejXUAESGrd.jpg
    Attached Images

A death trap waiting to happen. Litany of tenant woes and council fights going back yrs.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com

They documented it all well over the years. Uncleaned Pigeon crap all over the children's bike storage lockers. May 2014.

No power wash downs

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...y-slum-part-2/

Borough Council will be nailed to a wall in the inquiry aftermath.

e_phemera‏ @e_phemera 32s32 seconds ago

Words you never want to hear:
    "significant number unaccounted for". 💔 Hoping they are wrong. #GrenfellTow
    er.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilbitsnana View Post
    there were some 2-bedroom units too, not just 4-bedroom flats in the plan below

Mark Ashley‏ @themarkashley

#Grenfell Tower floor plan. "Improved" high density layout means one set of stairs for 24 stories of 120 apartments. #LondonFire

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCQWZejXUAESGrd.jpg
    England has terrible building coeds, almost third World. Lots of kick backs, payoffs, and corruption. They have had many problems with high-rises in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas321 View Post
    England has terrible building coeds, almost third World. Lots of kick backs, payoffs, and corruption. They have had many problems with high-rises in the past.
    I heard a woman on sky news (listening only) that said people had reported that gas lines had been run thru the stairwell. Sky news said they were going to check into it. (one single stairwell and it is full of gas lines...what could possibly go wrong?)

Contract Name: Grenfell Tower
    Contract Value: £8.7 million
    Contract Period: 66 weeks
    Client: KCTMO Limited

Rydon delivered an £8.6m upgrade to the 24-storey Grenfell Tower as part of a £57m borough-wide regeneration in Kensington & Chelsea, London.

Located in the Lancaster West Estate in North Kensington, the project on the 1970s-built tower has delivered a number of improvements, with residents still in occupation, to the community facilities and energy efficiency of the building. Additional new homes have also been created using vacant space.

Externally, rain screen cladding, curtain wall façade and replacement windows were fitted, improving thermal insulation and modernising the exterior of the building.

Internally, lower floor space was remodelled to incorporate extra new homes as well as a nursery, which was relocated from another part of the building. A completely new heating system was installed, which contributes to reducing living costs of residents.

Resident liaison is an important part of this redevelopment and residents were actively consulted as the project progressed

Rydon achievied a BREEAM rating and secured eco funding from KCTMO.

You can view the webcam of the tower here.

A successful local employment initiative ‘Live Train’ was implemented on the scheme offering a number of work placement opportunities for people who would like to get into the construction industry. Separately, Rydon also provided several jobs to local residents.

Dale Youth Boxing Club, which has produced some of the UK’s best boxing talent including Olympic Gold medal gold medallist James DeGale and IBF/WBA contender George Groves, is based within the Tower. The work provided the club a much larger and improved training facilities, which will be around three times the size of its current premises.

http://www.rydon.co.uk/what-we-do/re...grenfell-tower
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

???

siobhan butler‏ @xxsiobhanamyxx 2m2 minutes ago

A fridge on 4th floor exploded and caused it according to the news ??? #GrenfellTower
    Samsung ?

London Fire Brigade‏Verified account @LondonFire 12s12 seconds ago

Firefighters continue to work extremely hard at the scene of #NorthKensington tower block fire http://bit.ly/2sqUKft

sky news reporter just said "hundreds of people managed to escape."

I'm off to bed. I hope everyone (who is still awake) will continue updating the thread. thanks

This fire may turn into a criminal murder case.

From May, 2013:

re:electrical surges in the bldg causing appliances to smoke, reported at grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com link above

"...An end may finally be in sight to the mysterious and distressing power surges that have bedevilled Grenfell Tower residents throughout the past month. However, decisive action was only taken yesterday after highly distressed residents descended en masse on the estate office to demand action. They had woken to find smoke issuing from various electrical appliances in their homes, including the light fixtures, and descended in panic to the estate office to demand help and assistance. Emergency electricians who attended later in the day were finally, it seems, able to identify the source of the problem. An emergency temporary electrical by-pass supply has been provided and the necessary follow–up works will be carried out in the near future..."

David Moore‏ @dave_oxo 4m4 minutes ago

#GrenfellTower fatalities just confirmed, no details

Metro Radio News‏Verified account @MetroRadioNews 4m4 minutes ago

"A number of fatalities" in huge fire at London tower block #GrenfellTower

The Sun‏Verified account @TheSun 6m6 minutes ago

The London Fire Brigade Commissioner confirms there have been a number of fatalities in the #GrenfellTower blaze http://thesun.uk/60118mrE1

London Ambulance‏Verified account @Ldn_Ambulance 17m17 minutes ago

We have now taken over 50 patients to five hospitals across London following the fire at #GrenfellTower Tower.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCQ6cECXoAEckgH.jpg
    Attached Images

nearby buildings have been evacuated due to the fear the building that burned will collapse (sky news)

Lizzy‏ @LifebyLizzy 30s30 seconds ago

#Grenfell flats such as these are supposed to be designed to withstand fire for up to 2 hours and a stay put policy is therefore in place

I'm having a lot of trouble believing that this was just an "accident" caused by a single refrigerator exploding. Something just "does not compute" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by privatemom View Post
    I'm having a lot of trouble believing that this was just an "accident" caused by a single refrigerator exploding. Something just "does not compute" for me.

The authorities have said the cause is unknown at this time.

It does seem to to have taken off way too fast, however, there is a lot of info coming out that if true explains it.

The "fridge" info came from a resident that escaped and started talking to a man that was filming the fire. He said the man that was filming the fire told him that his (man filming) fridge blew up.

Based on numerous witnesses and the info I posted early in the thread about the building/maintenance history that building sounds like it was a nightmare waiting to happen.

On the other hand, the man filming (see above) and the fact that it went up so quickly and that most of the fire was concentrated on the side where the one, single stairway and emergency exit was makes you go "hmmm, maybe..."

Although, if reports of the gas pipes being run in thru the stairwell are true that also explains it.
    Last edited by Lilbitsnana; 06-14-2017 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by privatemom View Post
    Me, too. Looks like accelerant was used. Modern high rises (this was built in1974) don't turn into a mass of flames this fast. Just not possible.

Slept in and just woke up to this horror, and for once that isn't just a UK Tabloid term, it really is.

A couple of insights; yes there would have been some refugees/Muslims living in that tower because it is old fashioned 70's "Council Housing" aka that is UK speak for what used to be called Public Housing in the US.

There massive tower blocks (there are lots of them) were built in the 1960's and 1970's and in many cases ARE death traps waiting to happen; Ireland just tore down the worst of their own but if things had gone differently they might also have burned down.

I have no idea if this is an electrical fault, one of our stupidly designed this side of the water fridges (EU regulations make them very different from those in the US), a bum lighting a fire in the stairwell to keep warm that got away (or smokers) and/or an actual terrorist act (either Muizze or anti-muzzie and/or gangland) all three are possible.

They are now saying "several fatalities" but my hunch is unless there was a miracle hundreds may be more like it.

There are DOZENS of towers like this around London as well as a lot of "sink estates" with houses crowded together that were built around the same time, but it is the towers that always worried me.

These worked in some countries like Italy where former peasant farmers had a tradition of being clean and protective of their new homes; many families have lived in the same tower blocks since just after WWII; ditto a lot of Sweden lives in them and I visited some very lovely apartments even in the public housing tower blocks (hideous on the outside but wonderfully taken care of maintained on the inside and staircases by the residents).

But this problem in the UK is NOT NEW, and it isn't just a refugee problem; when I lived in the UK in the mid 1990's I saw these places I shuddered; they were horrible and back then most of the population in them was either local or from Africa, with some "Asian" (aka Middle Eastern and Indian (dot) residents.

Anyway, that's some of the backgrounds; you see the birth of these places if you watch "Call the Midwife" all of Europe started to tear down their slums and move the urban poor into them in the 1950's but the Tower Block (build em cheap and pile em high) was a 1970's era move.

Today, many countries are faced with aging and decaying buildings that are nightmares to shore up to modern standards, Ireland tends to tear them down rather than even try; London has way too many to do that, especially since they already have a huge homeless problem.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I have only been listening off/on to sky news so although I did hear possibly hundreds missing/unaccounted for, I haven't heard the 400-600. Beyond tragic if true. (nevermind...that is NOT the number missing, although I did hear it is over 100 right now; desperately asking for people to contact authorities if they are out/ok)

They authorities said so many are unaccounted for and the building is still burning that it could be days before they know the final count.

Just confirmed 6 fatalities and said the number will rise.

SHARON BROWN‏ @SHANNYFRANNY 9m9 minutes ago

Oh dear god �� media is saying 400-600 people reside in #GrenfellTower but only 50 are known to be in hospitals Please ���� for the missing ����

For links see article source.....
    Posted for fair use.....
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...tness-accounts

Grenfell Tower fire
    'It spread so quickly': London fire witness accounts
    Witnesses tell how tower block was engulfed by flames and how people desperately tried to help those trapped inside

• Full report
    • What we know so far
    • London fire - latest updates

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/d83c1...sm=12&fit=max&
    Smoke billows from the fire that engulfed the 24-storey Grenfell Tower in west London. Photograph: Victoria Jones/PA

View more sharing options

Shares

Haroon Siddique, Alexandra Topping and agencies
    Wednesday 14 June 2017 05.17*EDT
    Last modified on Wednesday 14 June 2017 05.58*EDT

As the fire continued to rage, stories have emerged of the terror experienced by Grenfell Tower residents as the tower block was engulfed by flames and of how others tried desperately to to help those trapped inside:
    Isabel Afonso, 22

There were people in the tower sitting on the window saying: ‘I’m going to jump down,’ and people yelling at them: ‘Don’t jump, they are coming.’ This is like 1.30am and I didn’t see anyone being evacuated.

A lot of neighbours were trying to help, some of the apartments have access by a kind of bridge to our building so people were helping people over the gate between them. Some people were helping a family of four people with a baby.
    Line Sterring, 23

We could see people waving fairy lights and flags to show their position. At first people seemed calm but then you could see smoke coming out of the windows. When they saw the smoke they started panicking.

We saw people in the second top window of the tower. There were four people screaming and shouting and then the window went completely dark from the smoke and that part of the building was covered in flames.

The worst thing was seeing people stuck and you feel so useless. You are just watching people probably dying and the feeling of not doing anything, you just can’t do anything ...

Alexandra Topping
    (@LexyTopping)
    Line Sterring (R) lives next door to #GrenfellTower. "We saw people screaming from the window then it went dark from the smoke". pic.twitter.com/iHKrpcXx05
    June 14, 2017
    Tamara, to BBC News:

We could hear people screaming: ‘Help me,’ so me and my brother, with some other people who live in the area, ran over to the estate to where you could still get underneath it and there were people just throwing their kids out saying: ‘Save my children.’

The fire crew, ambulance and police couldn’t do anything, they couldn’t get in, and they were just telling them to stay where they are, and we’ll come and get you.
    But things quickly escalated beyond measure and they couldn’t go back in and get them. Within another 15 minutes the whole thing was up in flames and there were still people at their windows shouting ‘Help me’.

You could see the fire going into their houses and engulfing the last room that they were in.
    Samira, to BBC News:

It escalated really quickly. Around midnight the fire was only around the third floor and then, before you know it, the whole 23 (sic) floors of the building were all on fire and there were people screaming for help and throwing kids out. I think everyone felt really helpless because no one could get to them.

Everyone was really scared and they didn’t know what to do and it was really sad to see. There was a lot of people there, children, elderly people and disabled people; my family members, who thankfully made it out. But there are still a lot of people who are unaccounted for.
    Muna Ali, 45:

The flames, I have never seen anything like it, it just reminded me of 9/11. The fire started on the upper floors ... oh my goodness, it spread so quickly, it had completely spread within half an hour.

My friends live on the fourth floor, someone knocked on their door, they didn’t know and they got out. They have three children. Some people were knocking on doors but the people inside didn’t open the door. I have lived here almost 21 years and I have never seen anything like this, at first I thought it was terrorism, we were just panicking.

Topics
    Grenfell Tower fire
    London
    news

London fire: fatalities confirmed as blaze engulfs tower block – latest

London Fire: Structural engineer is monitoring Grenfell Tower's stability after devastating blaze

'At the moment the building continues to be safe for our crews to go and work in'

Adam Withnall
    @adamwithnall
    an hour ago

Click to follow
    The Independent Online
    grenfell-tower-fire11-0.jpg

The London Fire Brigade says that a structural engineer is monitoring the stability of Grenfell Tower, the 24-storey residential block which was engulfed by a devastating fire in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

The building has been described as safe for now, and firefighters continue to work inside.

"We have got a structural engineer, who in conjunction with my urban search and rescue advisor, is monitoring the stability of the building," London Fire Brigade Commissioner Dany Cotton said.

Follow our live blog on the Grenfell Tower fire here

"At the moment the building continues to be safe for our crews to go and work in."

Cotton also said crews had only reached as far as the 19th and 20th floors of the building so far.
    Read more

How you can help those affected by the west London tower blaze
    Witnesses describe Grenfell Tower residents 'jumping from their flats'
    Fears for missing as 'fatalities' confirmed in London tower block fire
    Government was warned it was endangering lives in tower blocks

People who escaped the 24-storey Grenfell Tower in north Kensington spoke of others, including children, screaming for help, some holding babies from windows and others jumping from their flats high above the ground.

Cotton said there had been a "number of fatalities" but could not say how many due to the size and complexity of the building.

She told reporters: "This is an unprecedented incident.

"In my 29 years of being a firefighter, I have never ever seen anything of this scale."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7789041.html
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

ndependent.ie‏Verified account @Independent_ie 17m17 minutes ago

#VIDEO: Woman's emotional plea to find missing friend and two children after fire #GrenfellTower http://indo.ie/9kI430czXdr

Natacha•Zayas‏ @Zayas_L0ve 18m18 minutes ago

Woke up to find out my boys family friend died and 2 of his friends are missing �� my heart goes out to everyone effected #GrenfellTower ❤️

X Katy X‏ @KatyHelen2310 18m18 minutes ago

Children and elderly among the missing from the Grenfell Tower fire #London#latimerroad #GrenfellTower #londonfire

#LoveFromALondonGirl‏ @Stardust_Lau 19m19 minutes ago
    #LoveFromALondonGirl Retweeted Noel Clarke

Please Share #Missing #GrenfellTower

#LoveFromALondonGirl added,
    Noel ClarkeVerified account @NoelClarke
    Friends niece Jessica Urbano Ramiez is missing. help search hospitals or say if seen her: Contact 07919410974 or @MakeupAna #GrenfellTower

Zahra Hankir‏Verified account @ZahraHankir 20m20 minutes ago

Heartbreaking. Missing woman #NooraJamal called her friend and said "forgive me, the fire is here, I'm dying" #grenfelltower via @Telegraph

The Telegraph‏Verified account @Telegraph 20m20 minutes ago

Children and elderly among the missing from the #GrenfellTower fire http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-desperately/

Patricia Martinez‏ @PatiCakesBcn 20m20 minutes ago

Retweeted Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk):

#GrenfellTower fire: If you've reported someone missing and they... http://fb.me/8BwdYUAvA

Darshan Dave‏ @DarshanDDave 20m20 minutes ago

Darshan Dave supports #londonislovinitRT metpoliceuk: #GrenfellTower fire: If you've reported someone missing and they have been located it…

Bob Books‏ @BobBooks 21m21 minutes ago

Bob Books Retweeted Ana Ospina

Pl RT: Our colleagues daughter is missing, any news or sightings - particularly in hospitals pls get in touch ASAP #GrenfellTower

Bob Books added,
    Ana Ospina @MakeupAna
    My 13 year old niece Jessie has become seperated with her family in the #GrenfellTower Fire please if you see her get in touch ASAP RT Pls

There are also a lot of reports on Facebook on how "budget cuts" the last couple of years (under the Torys) closed the fire stations near this area, but I'm waiting for some actual sources before posting that - I believe however the comments are likely to turn out to be correct; and that will be right up there with cutting 12,000 police before the terrorist attacks and cast more stones at the very weak Tory situation which still doesn't have a government yet (they hope to have one, but the don't have it totally sorted yet ether)

The government was warned earlier this year of the deadly danger posed by fire safety failings in tower blocks.

Experts said in March that after a review into building regulations, parliament should ask "really serious questions" about the safety of tower blocks and the danger posed by fire. The warnings have been restated after multiple people died in a fire in West London.

Housing minister Gavin Barwell had committed last year to review the specific part of building regulations that relate to fire safety. But that report was delayed earlier this year, Fire Risk Management reported in March, with a spokesperson then refusing to give a date for the launch of the review.

Mr Barwell is now Theresa May's chief of staff, after he lost his seat in the recent election.

That report was called for after a deadly fire in Lakanal House in South London. The resulting investigation found problems with fire risk assessments and the fire resistance of the building.

There are still 4,000 tower blocks that are under the same old building regulations as those in Lakanal House. It's not clear whether Grenfell Tower, where the horrific blaze broke out, was built according to those regulations.

Fire safety expert Sam Webb told the magazine at that time that "really serious questions" needed to be asked in parliament about fire safety. He pointed specifically to the kind of materials used in buildings, saying that they are "not fire-resistant and in some cases they're flammable.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7789006.html

I am not sure about this source but this is an example of what I'm seeing; but I'm waiting for some confirmation and I'm sure if this is true it will soon be known far and wide.

Tories closed THREE fire stations near #Grenfell – and resisted sprinkler installation

14/06/2017 · by SKWAWKBOX · Bookmark the permalink.
    https://skwawkbox.org/2017/06/14/tor...tion/#comments

Jewhadi™‏ @JewhadiTM 2m2 minutes ago

#GrenfellTower: 64 people taken to 6 hospitals, with 20 in critical care, London Ambulance Service says @BBC

Omar Moore‏ @popcornreel 8m8 minutes ago

"This is very unusual the way that this fire has happened." -Graham Fieldhouse, fire safety expert, speaking @BBCNews #GrenfellTower #London

Mowgli's Mrs‏ @mowglis_mrs 7m7 minutes ago

#GrenfellTower No sprinkler system. No viable fire escape. 2017! Those poor souls. Gov sat on fire report for 4 years! Shocking.

Vicount Ian Kerr CGC‏ @IanKerr 8m8 minutes ago

#GrenfellTower
    Crime scene.
    Watch the cover up.
    Watch the guilty ones escape.
    #votetory

Daniel Blake‏ @CarbonisedPleb 48s48 seconds ago
    Daniel Blake Retweeted LIAM BYRNE

Do these people have feelings a shred of decency? Shame on all those who would not listen & take action #GrenfellTower. Blood on their hands

LIAM BYRNE‏ @byrneliam854 2h2 hours ago

council threating blogger who highlighted the danger in #GrenfellTower
    Attached Images
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Action groups say warnings over safety concerns at inferno tower block 'fell on deaf ears'

Smoke billows from a fire that has engulfed the 24-storey Grenfell Tower in west London. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday June 14, 2017. More than 200 firefighters were sent to tackle the blaze and London Ambulance Service said 30 people had been taken to five hospitals. See PA story FIRE Grenfell. Photo credit should read: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

Alexander Britton

June 14 2017 8:55 AM

An action group at a west London tower block ravaged by a deadly fire has said its warnings fell on "deaf ears" after it highlighted safety concerns.

The cause of the blaze at Grenfell Tower, north Kensington, is not known, but a blog post from Grenfell Action Group in November said "only a catastrophic event" would expose the issues.

Several hundred people are thought to have been in the block when the fire was reported at 1.15am on Wednesday, and London Fire Brigade confirmed there had been a "number of fatalities".

The group said there was only one entry and exit to the tower during improvement works at the block in Latimer Road and it had issues with evacuation procedures.

After the fire, the group posted: "All our warnings fell on deaf ears and we predicted that a catastrophe like this was inevitable and just a matter of time."

The group claimed access to the building was "severely restricted" for emergency services and other vehicles and that residents were advised to stay in their flats in case of fire.

The tower block was recently refurbished at a cost of £8.7 million, with work completed in May last year.

The exterior of the 1970s-built tower was modernised with cladding and replacement windows, while additional homes were added using vacant space in the building.

On its website, Rydon Construction said: "Externally, rain screen cladding, curtain wall facade and replacement windows were fitted, improving thermal insulation and modernising the exterior of the building."

But a resident of the 17th floor of the block, identified as Methrob, told LBC Radio the "real issue was when it caught fire to the cladding outside".

He added: "That's when I noticed the fire from outside when I looked out the window.

"By the time that we got downstairs, the fire had gone all the way up and it was just about reaching our windows on the 17th floor.

"The whole one side of the building was on fire. The cladding went up like a matchstick."

Methrob said residents had been concerned about safety, adding there had been warnings "for over a year".

He said one man was "trying to get everyone to get together to do something before it was too late".

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said questions will need to be answered over the safety of tower blocks.

Some residents said they had been advised they should stay in their flats in the event of a fire, while the block's residents association had previously warned it was worried about the risk of a serious fire.

"These questions are really important questions that need to be answered," Khan told BBC Radio.

"Across London we have many, many tower blocks and what we can't have is a situation where people's safety is put at risk because of bad advice being given or if it is the case, as has been alleged, of tower blocks not being properly serviced or maintained."

Press Association
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-35824541.html

London tower fire: community rallies to aid victims

Water, food and clothes are among items donated as community centres gather goods to help the thousands left homeless by the fire.

12:42, UK, Wednesday 14 June 2017

Image: Aid supplies including nappies, toiletries and food are being collected at community centres such as church halls

London has rallied to help the victims of the Grenfell Tower block fire, with essentials being collected at community centres for the thousands left homeless.

As firefighters continue to tackle the blaze and search for victims in west London, appeals for food, drinks and clothing have been issued - with Sky News witnessing supplies being dropped by well-wishers at an evacuation point close to the smouldering building.

Volunteers were working furiously to prepare sandwiches for victims and members of the emergency services at The Rugby Portobello Trust where people said they had seen an "unbelievable" response.

Maggie Evans, who was helping manage the deluge of supplies, said: "We're so impressed and grateful. The community has come out in droves."

People wanting to donate were being urged to take directions on what was needed and where, as some collection points were full to bursting.

Arrangements were being made by the local council to help those forced from their homes to find temporary accommodation, with those affected currently being cared for at a number of reception centres.

More follows...
    http://news.sky.com/story/london-tow...ctims-10915388

I gather the reason so many are homeless is it isn't just the people in the tower block but an entire area of the city has been evacuated in case the tower collapses and most of these towers are built in groups of other towers (I don't know this particular neighborhood but that is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    I gather the reason so many are homeless is it isn't just the people in the tower block but an entire area of the city has been evacuated in case the tower collapses and most of these towers are built in groups of other towers (I don't know this particular neighborhood but that is my guess.
    Yes, I posted earlier that they evacuated the nearby buildings/homes.

Yes, I posted earlier that they evacuated the nearby buildings/homes.
    Thank you, missed that because I woke up to the breaking story; skimmed the thread and went for the breaking news; this started just after I went to bed and I slept in so was on-going for 10 hours - now I'm just trying to keep the updates on the aftermath and what is happening now; especially for folks still sleeping or just getting up Stateside.

IF the residents of that big building were almost entirely Muslim (they appear to be) there is a pretty high mathematical probability that the cause of the fire could have been terrorism related, some resident terrorist making or storing firebombs (molotov cocktails) or making other kinds of explosive devices/bombs , or cooking meth to sell (to fund terrorism) which accidentally immolated their own nest!

IF that IS true, you can bet it will get short shrift on the news, if it is revealed to the public at all and ALL the outrage and investigations will be focused on the fact that it was a firetrap.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...m-glory-allah/
    1.3 MILLION Muslims in London as of May 2016 almost half the 3+ million that live in UK live in London- and half the Muslims in UK were not born in UK!
    ALmost HALF the residents of London are now Muslim!
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 06-14-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    72, and still learning.
    Striving to become a "know it all".
    LOL! Long road ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by ainitfunny View Post
    IF the residents of that big building were almost entirely Muslim (they appear to be) there is a pretty high mathematical probability that the cause of the fire could have been terrorism-related, some resident terrorist making or storing firebombs (Molotov cocktails) or making other kinds of explosive devices/bombs , or cooking meth to sell (to fund terrorism) which accidentally immolated their own nest!
    I suspect the population is mixed; most council houses are but some areas of public housing have higher concentrations of certain ethnic groups than others; the single housing units where my friend lives (and I've stayed in a lot) I had no idea were public housing and almost everyone is white (outskirts of London) other areas are mostly African or Carribean background (little "Jamaica's and other Commonwealth Islands); it all depends on where they are and how long people have stayed there.

I don't know London very well, other than downtown and the area around my friend's house (and the old white working-class area one of my friends used to live in that I stayed in for a few weeks in the early 90's); the tower "flats" tend to have more turnover than the houses because once people get a council house; they tend to stay in it for years or even decades (my friend grew up in his).

This is giving me flash backs to 9/11 - people trapped, people jumping to their deaths, fears of collapsing building. May God have mercy.
    Happy is the Nation whose God is the Lord. -Psalm 33:12