Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT May have lost cat to a coyote !
+ Reply to Thread

May have lost cat to a coyote !

Live in extreme N. Ga. and have/had 4 barn cats for 3 years. Coyotes definitely in the area. Never had a problem. Couple of months ago we got to GSD's to breed. Bonnie and Clyde. Bonnie is about 6 months and Clyde is 3 months. We live on 4 acres which is fenced with 5 foot goat fencing and a strand of barbed wire on top. The dogs spend the night in a spacious pen on our property and we let them out during the day where they spend the majority of their time lazing on our porch! This morning, I looked out the window and saw the dogs chewing on something and the wife walked out and discovered that it was part of a flea collar that we have just put on the cats about a week ago. Property walked...no sign of cat carcass or fur. Father in law lives on same property with us and he feeds the cats. Said he didn't see 'Bruiser' at breakfast. All of the other 3 are accounted for....2 males and 1 female. Dogs put up for the night, we go on back deck after feeding chickens and the female Calico comes up. Usually stand offish yet came up to us vigorously meowing and jumps in wife lap. No apparent distress but wife discovers wound on the underneath of her neck. Call into the mobile vet. Coyotes definitely in the area and we have heard and neighbors have seen a bobcat around the last few weeks. Time to protect the homestead!
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. -Edward R. Murrow

Coyotes are everywhere these days.

338 Lapua or 375 H&H magnum, will take care of them.

7mm is good also. Basically, any magnum will work.

The bottom line is, blast them to bits.

I would move the kitties inside if possible.

Regards to all deplorables,
    Nowski
    "Read everything, listen to everyone, believe absolutely nothing,
    unless you can prove it with your own research." Milton William Cooper

"Life is a glass, half empty, of spoiled milk, sitting in a bed of thorns." Nowski

Put up some game cameras, you will be surprised what varmints lurk around at night. It will also help you develop a plan to kill them by telling you what type they are and so on. I use conabear 220 traps to get the fox's that get my chickens and the "Dog proof raccoon traps" to get the coons without fear of getting my dog or a cat. The conabear traps will kill your cats so dont use them if the cats are not put up.

Coyotes need the larger 330 size conabear traps, but you must be extremely careful with these, they will smash your bones and kill small children and any domestic animals so they must be used with extreme care. I have never tried traps for coyotes and up due to the danger of the large traps, I prefer to shoot them. Shotguns are best in FL due to thick brush, limited distance that you can see them and they run really fast. #4 buck shot and the larger turkey shot works great on them.

Nightvision camera for a few nights to figure out what is lurking out there. Those coyotes will try to gang up on you dogs too if you're not careful. Especially if they are puppies. They are still pups and defenseless at night. And yes, coyotes can get into almost anything. They dig really well. Put your cats into a safe space for awhile. Better to have a few rodents around then lose them to predators.

Time to go hunting. Shotgun or 223 will put em down with a headshot.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Thanks for the replies! Cats, unfortunately are on their own. Barn cats...always have been. Would go nuts in the house! Got sweet 16 loaded for.....coydogs...LOLOL Eyes open til bed time....ears after !

Coyotes are everywhere. Missing cat posters abound in my area. Torques my wrench that my burb dwelling neighbors who apparently earn a decent income by the cars they drive lost all their common sense with the MBA 20 years ago or more.

I night hike in the area or quietly drive up on coyotes in my A/O. Once strobed one with my flash light until he was night-blind. The coyote ran into the street running in line with my truck tire right behind him. Yeah, that's how we're forced to adapt the hunt in incorporated metro-burbs. No I didn't crunch him or her. I actually prefer ( + ) for a reason, not a sport.

Lost a handful of neighbor cats, and feral's I raised from kittens.

I recall a trip to Ojai CA. The only cat out of six the host lady friend described as surviving to Yote's was a camo-brown-tan-grey cat that utilized a cat walk from an upstairs window from the house into the trees toward the barn. As in all challenges. Man or beast. Adapt or die.

You can also bait them and put one of those driveway alert buzzers pointed at the bait pile. Makes for great fun, just sitting around enjoying the night, bam the alarm goes off, then easy that barrel out the window and point the spot light. Be ready, and be fast, before they light runs them off. Red lights work best.

It's actually great fun if you have a predator problem. Set it up for conveniences and safety, and you may realize you found a great new sport.

Any centerfire .22 will do the job adequately. Why spend several dollars a round for overkill, unless you just enjoy the recoil.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Lost a number of kitties when I lived down in kommifornia to coyotes. My cat policy now is everybody is in before dark and nobody goes out before sunrise.

I lost a 7 mo old kitten to a Great Horned Owl Tuesday of last week. Let the kitties out just before 6am, put food in their dishes in the house, poured a cup of coffee and went back out, less than 5 min. had passed and the cats were all freaked out when I opened the door and I was missing 1 cat. Then Tuesday of this week just before dark I had my female Turkey taken by a Coyote or Raccoon.......can't be too careful when living rural.

And yep, a Aguila hyper velocity .22 round will work just fine on a coyote......
    Mongo only pawn in game of life

When the candles burnin' down, when midnight comes around
    Know the best that we could hope for is to be laughin' when we finally hit the ground

My son's Airedale, Bull, works it the other way. He kills the coyote and brings the body back home.
    If at first you don't secede, try, try again!

I almost lost my favorite cat to a coyote about 10 years ago. She was attacked between the shoulder blades, but fought him off by loosing every one of her extra sharp claws, probably on the muzzle. Ever since, she has been an indoor cat, i.e., permanently grounded. She's still alive and active.

If I ever see a coyote again, I'll use my 12ga loaded with 00 on it and not think twice.

15 believe it or not,

a 17 hmr (I think , its the longer 17 rimfire) will drop a coyote surprisingly well, had a friend who thought he would just smack one that was sitting in the backlot facing him about 100yds out , he had it in his head the 17 would be like a pellet rifle, he shot that coyote dead center face on in the chest, didn't move or anything, then just fell over, dead, freaked him out, he had more than a few people explaining to him just how potent that little 17 really is, ,
    the big calibers like others said, you got really nasty recoil a and noise,and sometimes does nothing but make a hole in them smaller than a 222 will
    as to the barn cats, ours have plenty of small mulberry trees to jump up into, and start carrying on when a coyote or strange dog is around, tripping off our dogs who give off a much different bark, that tells you grab the gun and go

Prodigal feline showed for breakfast !

Quote Originally Posted by #1 oldskool View Post
    Prodigal feline showed for breakfast !
    LOL! That's good news... and yes, they don't have that reputation for having 9 lives for nothing!!

Summerthyme

Got some land, donkey's run off coyotes. We have two here and coyotes no longer around, They were hard on baby goats before we got Donkeys.

Good news on your cat! kill the damned coyote!
    Rusty in NC
    Don't tread on me!
    sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
    Wickr tiger133

This morning 0530 I heard the most viscious pack taking apart either a cat, but most likely a rabbit by the distinct type sound they make. Woke me from a sound sleep about 200 yards away.

The dusk to dawn policy of shielding the small fur kids is a good idea if you can.