Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CRIME $13 a pack? NYC mayor wants highest cigarette prices in US
+ Reply to Thread

$13 a pack? NYC mayor wants highest cigarette prices in US

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/1...es-us-46905732

The Associated Press
    NEW YORK — Apr 20, 2017

The minimum price for a pack of cigarettes would rise to $13 in New York City under a proposal backed by Mayor Bill de Blasio.

De Blasio is backing an effort to force people to quit smoking by raising the city's current legal minimum price of a pack from $10.50, further cementing New York City's claim on having among the most expensive cigarettes in the country.

The Democrat announced his support Wednesday for a series of legislative proposals that he said could reduce the number of smokers in the city by 160,000 by the year 2020. An estimated 900,000 New York City residents currently smoke.

"What we're here today talking about is saving lives," said Dr. Mary T. Bassett, the city's health commissioner, who appeared with the mayor at offices of the American Heart Association. "We want to make it easier to quit and harder to smoke."

The proposals are set for hearings later this month.

The city council also will consider legislation to gradually reduce by half the number of licenses issued to retailers to sell tobacco products. Philadelphia and San Francisco have similar licensing restrictions.

An American Cancer Society study found that 8,992 retail outlets were licensed to sell tobacco in New York as of October, and about a third of those were within 500 feet of a school.

Other proposals would set minimum prices and create taxes on smokeless tobacco and small cigars, and require sellers of electronic cigarettes to obtain licenses.

Opponents of the city's high cigarette prices have argued that it has pushed many smokers into buying untaxed, unregulated cigarettes on the black market.
    Be Safe

To kill the vampires you must lead them into the light.

They will come for you next !

How many more people are going to die selling Lucys?!!

Going to be around a dollar for a smoke. I remember when a joint was a dollar.

Selling LUCYS?

why does he want to punish poor people---the ones who can least afford it will be the ones most impacted by this useless tax---(sarc-to a point)

IMO taxes --as evil as they are--should be designed to generate revenue not modify behavior
    any tax that is implemented as a behavior modification tool should be declared null and void

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Selling LUCYS?
    loosies---reference to the guy that was killed while being arrested for selling single cigs --I think

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    loosies---reference to the guy that was killed while being arrested for selling single cigs --I think
    Yeah, that's what i meant, never gave thought to the spelling of the meaning. Whatever...

Well, Lucy is a girl's name. Your meaning with that spelling wasn't clear.

Well, Lucy is a girl's name. Your meaning with that spelling wasn't clear.
    Yeah, i know. For some reason, i thought that's how they were spelling the term, not thinking, "loosies". Yeah, durr me... I did remember when joints where a dollar. So let it be a lesson too you young-ins, don't smoke pot when your younger or you will turn into Uncle Vegas...

I would've actually used the term "singles", but I never heard of "loosies", which is why I kinda went WTH?

$23.22 for 2 packs of Newport just now north of Syracuse. $13.85 a pack on the thruway. They just take and take and take.

I am no fan of cigarettes but I really hate the liberal montra of if we don't like something, we are going to outlaw or tax it nail no one can afford it. Anyone else says if I don't like something I won't do it. Leave it to a liberal to create draconian laws to regulate other people's behavior.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    -John Adams, America’s Second President

Here the mayor wants to make it illegal to smoke in public. Commie!

Here is what is going to happen in New York City if this is implemented. It costs, or used to cost, $1 to buy a pack of smokes in North Carolina. New York City already has a thriving black market criminal supplied with tobacco. It should be clear that as the price to buy a legal pack of smokes rises, the price difference between legal and illegal smokes will also rise. Eventually, a point is reached where a black market will be created that sells smokes at say 5 dollars a pack. The savings of $8 a pack will create a demand for the product.

After all, driving a semi truck and trailers to North Carolina, filling it up with several thousand packs, and then pocketing the difference between the $5 and $13 a pack will lead to criminals actually doing that. One kilo of Cocaine from Columbia can be sold for thousands of dollars in the USA.

We will now see the creation of a situation in New York City similar to Prohibition. Smokes won't be banned, but they will be too costly to buy legally, so people will start to buy them illegally. This is also the same idea behind the 1.5 cents per ounce Soda tax. People will either leave the city to buy them, or distributors will start to sell them off the books.

Liberals never learn that when you raise taxes above a certain point, people will either not pay them by not buying the product, or not working, or they will use lower priced illegal markets.

New York City will not raise the revenue they expect. New York City will further increase the current tobacco black market.
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" will soon be available for sale at smashwords. The url is
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/267340 It is also at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

Why not just make it an even $20 a pack.
    Fly Into Southern California International Airport - Ontario Instead. Shorter Lines And Hassle Free Makes Flying So Much Easier. http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/cheap...location%2CASC

I left NYC in 1996 and even back then I had a place I would go to up by Yankee stadium. They sold untaxed cartons of smokes, WAY cheaper than any legal place in the city. Just a simple bodega nothing fancy, just walk in and they knew what you were there for. New Yorkers always find a way around silly laws.. but man am I glad I left that city when I did.
    When fascism comes to America it will come across an unsecured border carrying a Koran.

Better check with Philadelphia
    Idiot mayor imposed a soda tax and ended up with unanticipated massive tax loss

Customers now Cross the city line to buy sodas AND groceries AND diapers AND gas AND cigarettes

The city Pepsi Beverage company is actually laying off delivery drivers
    As are grocers laying of stockers

Taxes as punishment is just a lame nanny state excuse. Governments should cut expenses. Smokers piss me off when they leave butts everywhere, but I don't think they should pay more taxes.

When I was working, I fueled my state vehicle at the State Police Barracks at Westover, Maryland - about 10 miles from the MD/VA state line. One day I witnessed 2 undercover ATF vehicles, with plain clothes agents, searching a car in the parking lot within spitting distance of the gas pumps. The agents had pulled out around 200 cartons of cigarettes and both drivers had confessed they were heading back to New York with their booty. They had purchased the smokes in Virginia, I think they were around $30.00 a carton at that point - if my memory is correct - the ATF had apparently been staking out this cigarette outlet and waited for an out of state tagged vehicle to load up and take off. As soon as they crossed into Maryland they busted them, and I witnessed the end result.

They can't make enough laws to oppress us, they really can't.
    Why isn't Hillary Clinton in prison?
    III

The Marxist Republic of Multnomah County Oregon shows the Marxists can learn. We have a "soda tax" on the ballot for the November election. Obviously, the local politicians took into account what happened in Pennsylvania. Our "soda tax" will be imposed county wide. It means you will have to drive over to Washington, or into either Clackamas or Washington county to get untaxed soda. The result will also be major layoffs for soda distributators in Multnomah County. The MAX line goes out to both Beaverton and Hillsboro, which are in Washington County. It also goes to Clackamas county. I expect to see hordes of low income people with grocery sacks of 2 liter soda bottles heading back from shopping forays.

The tax will be 1.5 cents per OUNCE. The tax cost of a 2 liter bottle, some 66 ounces, will be 99 cents. One two liter soda pop is now $1.99, 99 cents on sale. They will raise the price to 2.99 each. This 33 percent tax rate will be nearly the same as the top tax rate for income tax. It will also be regressive and directly impact low income people. The politicians plan to use it for "good causes."

Portland also has a $35 per person "Arts Tax" that is a sop to the teacher's unions. I fully expect the tax to pass since Portland is full of Marxist liberals.
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" will soon be available for sale at smashwords. The url is
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/267340 It is also at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

G*ddamn Oregon. I am SO glad I left that commie sh*t-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra View Post
    Why not just make it an even $20 a pack.
    Which is about what it costs in Ireland, the result - a huge portion of ciggies consumed in Ireland are black market from Poland; and a lot of smokers roll their own or smoke pipes. It is legal to bring in a certain amount for personal use, so quite a number of people just fly on a cheap flight to Poland, stock up and come back (even Germany is a lot cheaper).

If they do this in New York, people will just buy from nearby States or the Native Reservation (that's where we went to get husbands tobacco when we were visiting New York about four years ago).
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas321 View Post
    OT - But thanks to Brockmire that's not what a Lucy means

The Indian reservations and gaming centers in NY state will make a killing in untaxed cigarette sales. I recall the local businesses in Plattsburgh complaining about it when I was there in the early 1990's.

Selling LUCYS?

"loosies"
    Illini Warrior

Going to be around a dollar for a smoke. I remember when a joint was a dollar.
    I remember when a carton of cigarettes was $3.00. A pack of smokes was 25 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    why does he want to punish poor people---the ones who can least afford it will be the ones most impacted by this useless tax---(sarc-to a point)
    I'm not for taxes but maybe the ones that can least afford the tax can least afford to smoke.
    A 1965 To The Present Dime Is Worth $.10 Today.
    A 1964 To The Present Dollar Bill Is Worth $1.00 Today.
    A 1964 Or Earlier Silver Dime Is Worth Over $1.25 Today.

A lie told often enough becomes the truth - Lenin

Or, go buy online where you can get a carton of little cigars for $6.99 plus shipping(about $1.25/carton). After smoking about the first 3 they taste just like cigarettes. Full flavor, light or menthol.
    http://www.bnbtobacco.com/gold-rush-...-carton-200ct/

Gold Rush Full Flavor 200ct
    Price
    $6.99
    Retail: $9.99
    You Save: $3.00
    Or a bunch of other different brands for $10-15/carton.

Yeah they care about our health like I care about stepping in cow poo. This is a punch in the face
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

Quote Originally Posted by BetterLateThanNever View Post
    I'm not for taxes but maybe the ones that can least afford the tax can least afford to smoke.
    That statement makes no sense. And you're missing the key issue here, which is actually not taxes at all. It's about controlling the behavior of others via punitive taxation. That's a standard liberal tactic. The Obamacare tax penalty is EXACTLY the same thing.

If they actually cared about public health, they'd have the highest liquor taxes in the US. Alcohol destroys far more lives than tobacco. Of course, lots of rich folk and politicians drink alcohol, so that's not gonna happen.

Oh Poo, and I was thinking of moving to NYC, become a metrosexual and start smoking cigarettes. I will have to change my plans now.
    Official TB2K Comedy Relief ; I resemble that remark! ; Aloha Snackbar; Nuke a Gay Whale For Christ and other Political Incorrectness
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it. FRA

People are going to start their own grows...... tobacco grows in the back yard..... I can see it now. If they can cross the tobacco with the weed, untold riches...

Yeah, i know. For some reason, i thought that's how they were spelling the term, not thinking, "loosies". Yeah, durr me... I did remember when joints where a dollar. So let it be a lesson too you young-ins, don't smoke pot when your younger or you will turn into Uncle Vegas...

I was thinking LSD as in "in the sky with diamonds"

Quote Originally Posted by Ractivist View Post
    People are going to start their own grows...... tobacco grows in the back yard..... I can see it now. If they can cross the tobacco with the weed, untold riches...
    You end up with "tweed".

(God, I slay me sometimes....)