Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Misc New to me spinning wheel
+ Reply to Thread

New to me spinning wheel

Saturday I was given a spinning wheel that had belonged to a friends mother who had died recently. The wheel is a Wee Peggy, made around 1984. She wasn't used much, and is COMPLETE! Right down to the oriface hook and four bobbins. I cleaned her up, and oiled her....and oiled her...she is now spinning quite nicely. I have some grade B pygora on the bobbin right now, and really like how she is spinning.

All of my other wheels are not really very portable, so this wheel fills a hole in my spinning stable.

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com
    JackiGossSpecial-Tees.com

This thread requires PICTURES!!

Sweet! Congratulations! Yes, pictures!!!
    Do as thou will, lest ye harm none

@FatTurkeyFarm on twitter

It is hard to get a vey good picture because of a severe lack of space, and a very poor lighting. I will try to take some pictures outside one it finally quits raining.

I took a picture with my iPad, and it turns the pic.

Jacki
    Attached Images
    McKenziefatwood.com

sweet!
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

That wheel is adorable! I love how chunky and sturdy it looks. Do you still like it now you've had it for awhile?

I splurged and bought some luscious Merino fiber in fall colors. I am sure it wants to be a woven scarf : https://www.etsy.com/listing/5495709...home_active_89
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

That is a lovely wheel! Very similar to a 200-year-old one a friend got in Germany but in much better shape (I got her going but boy it sure was not a "starter" wheel and I suggested she get another one, I don't think she ever did; though she's been back in the US for years so may have by now).

Lovely castle style wheel you've got there!
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by marsh View Post
    I splurged and bought some luscious Merino fiber in fall colors. I am sure it wants to be a woven scarf : https://www.etsy.com/listing/5495709...home_active_89
    what kind of loom do you have?
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I have an 8 shaft 42" Gilmore, an 8 shaft 22 inch Gilmore, a 42" 4 shaft Herald ( on loan and for sale) , an 8 shaft 22 inch Rasmussen table loom, a Schacht inkle loom, a Schacht tapestry loom and a Schacht rigid heddle loom. I am good 'till I die. Some will go with me to the "home" when the time comes - lol

Funny how many of us start with one wheel, and one loom....and then they multiply. I now have seven wheels, three multi-harness looms, five rigid heddle looms, a tapestry loom, and several tri looms.

The Wee Peggy was a kit wheel from New Zeeland, styled after Orkney wheels. It is a double drive with scotch tension as an alternate. I much prefer the double drive option.

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com

Sweet! That built-in Lazy Kate is awesome too! Nice catch!
    Treat each day as one of limitless potential and promise.

The challenge in life is for HOPE to overcome that sense of fear. For GOOD to overcome evil.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh View Post
    I have an 8 shaft 42" Gilmore, an 8 shaft 22 inch Gilmore, a 42" 4 shaft Herald ( on loan and for sale) , an 8 shaft 22 inch Rasmussen table loom, a Schacht inkle loom, a Schacht tapestry loom and a Schacht rigid heddle loom. I am good 'till I die. Some will go with me to the "home" when the time comes - lol
    I have a LeClerc Nautilus four harness loom, one tapestry loom, a Navajo rug loom, and a variety of bead weaving looms. I have two warping boards, a warping reel, and several types of bobbin winders. I also have a Ashford double treadle wheel, and a bunch of drop spindles. I also have a Navajo spindle. I have gobs of hand carders for both wool and cotton, a louet drum carder, and wool combs. Don't get me started on the number of sewing machines I own.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I haven't counted the number of drop spindles I have, but it is a lot. Most are Turkish style, and I often use them for plying wheel spun singles by plying the beginning and ending singles. That way there are no odd lenghts of single unplied

I also have multiple sewing machines, and bead looms. Another thing I have is needles.....lots of different kinds of needles. I think most of is who have responded to this thread are in the same boat. Crafting tools are a passion, and I am always in the market for more.

I found that I prefer combed wool instead of carded, so have concentrated on those tools rather than carders.

Needle felting is another fascinating addition to my stable of crafts.

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com