Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

VIDEO Final Moments (Short Film) incoming nuclear warhead Dallas TX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    I found this site and thought it interesting, you can simulate a nuclear blast on an area and see the affected zones. It's a little scary, but also kinda fun. Drag the marker to your area, select a bomb from the pre-selects and click on detonate.

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
    Wow, thank you for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by homepark View Post
    I have seen all kinds of panic in life or death situations. Most people don't see the need for being prepared unless they have experienced it. Even then, panic can set in as you realize that these moments may be your last.
    PANIC:
    While out on our boat we came across a small boat that had capsized.
    When we arrived we noticed two men treading water without life jackets.
    One of the men was trying to tread water while holding onto the anchor.
    He was trying to save something of value.

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    Very good short video.

He actually did more than what I think the average teen in that situation would do.

For the typical teen, as soon as the warning was given on the TV, (Which btw, sent chills up my spine.) along with the directive to STAY OFF the phones, the typical teen would immediately call Mom and if no answer, try and call the best friend.

Maybe, they'd try to pack some food and water in a bag or something but they'd do it as they run around with the phone on their ear.

Continue with our prayers that this scenario WILL NOT HAPPEN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    I found it very interesting how, after the power outage, the only functioning radio available was a NOAA Weather Radio with battery backup. For a whole bunch of reasons I always urge people to purchase a NOAA Weather radio. Be it severe weather or a local or national civil emergency, NOAA Weather Radio is your direct, automatic, unfiltered, real time access point to official government emergency information.
    Very good point. I also advise getting at least one of those windup radios.
    Official TB2K Comedy Relief ; I resemble that remark! ; Aloha Snackbar; Nuke a Gay Whale For Christ and other Political Incorrectness
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it. FRA

I thought that was a VERY WELL DONE short film. The actor (Garrett Ray) did very well for a 'younger' talent. I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up!

HB
    "The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
    Cicero, 55 BC
    Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC - 43 BC)
    "The more things change, the more they stay the same." -- popular cliché

Well...

At least if you huddle in the bathtub, there wont be a wet spot on the floor.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    At least if you huddle in the bathtub, there wont be a wet spot on the floor.
    Safest place in the house, lacking a basement. Dunno how many basements there are in Dallas. Not a one in Baton Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    Safest place in the house, lacking a basement. Dunno how many basements there are in Dallas. Not a one in Baton Rouge.
    Doubt if there's any in Dallas, either.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur

Unless the tub is cast iron, and the bathroom is without glass, I take a small closet due to smaller box framing.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A.B. View Post
    Unless the tub is cast iron, and the bathroom is without glass, I take a small closet due to smaller box framing.
    You can hear on the sound track that the tub was fiberglass. I'd go with the small closet idea... on knees praying.

Alas, there's the way of it in Louisiana. At least in Dallas and elsewhere, one can put a basement or underground shelter. Here, we are just sitting ducks.

I've already mentally visualized the movement of various large furniture/bedding/clothes, material, etc., etc., in a small space to put as much of a barrier to radiation as I can get but I'm pretty sure it'll take a LOT longer than 15 minutes or less. But..... I will try. First, I'll spend one precious minute with Our Lord in asking forgiveness, His help and His will to be done.

Then, I'll start to pile and wait, with more prayers of thanksgiving to the wonderful life He has already blessed me with.

Quote Originally Posted by Terriannie View Post
    Alas, there's the way of it in Louisiana. At least in Dallas and elsewhere, one can put a basement or underground shelter. Here, we are just sitting ducks.
    I built an above-ground storm shelter when we lived in Prairieville. I called it the Tardis. 18" slab, steel door, cinderblock with vertical rebar and concrete fill and the roof bolted down. It's not going anywhere. We told all the neighbors - if a hurricane was going to hit, we'd throw out the power tools and motorcycles and have room for 15 or 20 people easy.

I built an above-ground storm shelter when we lived in Prairieville. I called it the Tardis. 18" slab, steel door, cinderblock with vertical rebar and concrete fill and the roof bolted down. It's not going anywhere. We told all the neighbors - if a hurricane was going to hit, we'd throw out the power tools and motorcycles and have room for 15 or 20 people easy.
    Wow! I'd say that ought to do it!!! How thick was the roof? Was it the same 18" and would that block out radioactivity?

At any rate, we generally leave the house in the event of a hurricane because of the big trees very close to the house but I'm thinking we still could use some extra "storage" space and will bring it up to DH.

Wow! I'd say that ought to do it!!! How thick was the roof? Was it the same 18" and would that block out radioactivity?
    PM sent. The roof wasn't intended to block radiation, just tree limbs and wind. Lots of wind.

Remember the TV Series "Jericho"....I believe that was the dark side warning us of what is coming.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

I've already mentally visualized the movement of various large furniture/bedding/clothes, material, etc., etc., in a small space to put as much of a barrier to radiation as I can get but I'm pretty sure it'll take a LOT longer than 15 minutes or less. But..... I will try. First, I'll spend one precious minute with Our Lord in asking forgiveness, His help and His will to be done.

Then, I'll start to pile and wait, with more prayers of thanksgiving to the wonderful life He has already blessed me with.
    I have spent tonight going over where we'd likely shelter in place.
    Need to do some more shopping tomorrow for more plastic sheeting, ECT.

The hardest part is the fate of most of the outdoor cat family. Daddy cat sticks close to home so he'd be in. His boy and one daughter would likely be near to get in . The Mama and middle daughter would be miles away and therefore SOL.
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now with so much happening, so much to see? Life used to be dull you see...and you don't have to sleep alone, you don't even have to sleep at all; and so, all you have to do is show the stick to the dog now and then and say, 'Thank God for nothing.'"

Drusilla, "The UNVANQUISHED. William Faulkner

It might be helpful to know the general wind direction in your area should nearby cities take a hit. Of course this might only be useful info for only a day (assuming here that the Internet goes down and you only get one look), but if you're going to run you might as well know which direction to go.

http://www.intellicast.com/national/wind/current.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by minkykat View Post
    Would the latest model phones also emit warnings for the civil defense system as they do for weather?
    Would the latest model phones work when the power went out, or with the lines jammed ... as they would be ?

Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulSkeptic View Post
    Would the latest model phones work when the power went out, or with the lines jammed ... as they would be ?
    The first warning may still go thru before all hell breaks loose. It was a fair ponder.
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now with so much happening, so much to see? Life used to be dull you see...and you don't have to sleep alone, you don't even have to sleep at all; and so, all you have to do is show the stick to the dog now and then and say, 'Thank God for nothing.'"

Quote Originally Posted by minkykat View Post
    The first warning may still go thru before all hell breaks loose. It was a fair ponder.
    Possibly. I guess it would kinda be like the amber alerts everyone gets. After that, I think the lines would instantly jam. Also, I'm not sure what percentage of the cell network has battery backup. Don't feel like googling it.

Very few basements in Dallas....
    Many of the Dallas mansions have basements with shelters....

Texican....

Possibly. I guess it would kinda be like the amber alerts everyone gets. After that, I think the lines would instantly jam. Also, I'm not sure what percentage of the cell network has battery backup. Don't feel like googling it.
    All of the cell towers have battery backup with emergency generators. The cell towers feed to telephone switch buildings which also have emergency backup, but the downside is the switches can be overloaded with calls....

This happens when two many people try to make a call in an area and the switches can not handle the load and you get t he message the system is busy....

Which would happen with seconds of the the first nuke attack warning....

Your best chance of survival is not to be in a target city....

Texican....

PM sent. The roof wasn't intended to block radiation, just tree limbs and wind. Lots of wind.
    Got it. Thanks!

If this link is accurate, the kid did pretty good. Granted, it is the UK, but who can't boil an egg? I mean, seriously?

https://www.studyfinds.org/change-li...-chores-study/

Survey: 1 In 5 Adults In The UK Can’t Change A Lightbulb, Boil An Egg

LONDON — Are you handy enough that if a lightbulb went out in your home you’d be able to change it? Believe it or not, one in five people aren’t so skilled. In fact, a new survey of people in the United Kingdom finds not only do about 20 percent of people not know how to change a bulb — the same number aren’t sure how to boil an egg, either.

The British insurance company Aviva recently released their annual Home Report which detailed, among numerous findings about how people do work around the house, relatively common tasks that people encounter. The company surveyed 2004 people across the UK in February and March about their habits and roles at home.

Lightbulbs
    A stunning new survey from the United Kingdom found that one in five people did not know how to change a lightbulb or boil an egg.
    In addition to just one in five not being able to change a lightbulb or boil an egg, the survey found that nearly a third of the participants couldn’t cook any meal on the fly. And if someone were to spill a portion of their meal on their clothes or on the floor, only 59 percent would know how to get rid of the resulting stain.

Only 37 percent could change a flat tire.

The findings were even surprising to the folks behind the study.

LIKE STUDIES? FOLLOW STUDYFINDS.ORG ON FACEBOOK!

“As a nation we tend to take pride in our ability to do things ourselves in and around the home, so it’s a surprise to see there could be a skills gap in places,” says Aviva Propositions Director Adam Beckett in a press release. “That said, we also know that people lead busy lives, so while we enjoy doing things ourselves, we also appreciate the opportunity to leave things to a professional from time to time, particularly with some of the more challenging jobs.”

Interestingly, while 50 percent of those surveyed said they learned how to do a home task on their by trial and error, plenty of people are turning to the internet for help, especially millennials. The study found four in 10 people aged 25 and under prefer learning do-it-yourself chores online. That’s more than twice the number in the age group who turn to an actual book for help.

Here’s a look at the polled tasks and the number of people who indicated they could successfully complete them:

Task Percentage who feel confident doing this task
    Boil an egg 81%
    Change a light bulb 79%
    Cook a complete meal without using a recipe 69%
    Read a map 66%
    Sew on a button 65%
    Unblock a sink 62%
    Remove a stain from a carpet or clothing 59%
    Change a baby’s nappy 57%
    Wire a plug 57%
    ‘Bleed’ a radiator 53%
    Check oil levels in a car 53%
    Put up a shelf 47%
    Put up wallpaper 39%
    Change a flat tyre 37%
    Change a washer on a tap 30%
    Fit tiles 22%
    Click here to read the entire report, which broke down the findings by age groups and revealed many other interesting results.
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" will soon be available for sale at smashwords. The url is
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/267340 It is also at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

A stunning new survey from the United Kingdom found that one in five people did not know how to change a lightbulb or boil an egg.

They should have asked how many use toilet paper as well.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

For those of you whose communities still have civil defense sirens and such, how much warning will the effected areas be likely to get?
    Five minutes? Fifteen?

Nothing?

If we were allowed as much time as this young person in the movie, I would count it a blessing.

With reference to telephones, I was on the phone during the Loma Prieta quake of 1989 (can't believe almost 30 years). The central switch disconnected all phone calls in progress. Saw in the paper later that was a planned and automated response for a quake above a certain magnitude. The Loma Prieta qualified for the response (like no kidding).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    With reference to telephones, I was on the phone during the Loma Prieta quake of 1989 (can't believe almost 30 years). The central switch disconnected all phone calls in progress. Saw in the paper later that was a planned and automated response for a quake above a certain magnitude. The Loma Prieta qualified for the response (like no kidding).
    Interesting. So an emergency is configured to just drop everyone? Is this to then give priority to others, or just to avoid the clog in general?

I believe the reasoning was to keep the switches available for emergency based phone calls, including 911. I seem to remember public service announcements to not use the telephone service unless absolutely necessary and to minimize call length. Cell phones at that time existed but most were the size of small toasters. Cost was a dollar a minute for most carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I believe the reasoning was to keep the switches available for emergency based phone calls, including 911. I seem to remember public service announcements to not use the telephone service unless absolutely necessary and to minimize call length. Cell phones at that time existed but most were the size of small toasters. Cost was a dollar a minute for most carriers.
    In a national emergency, people won't abide by it. Everyone will think their one text or call won't matter that much ... x 100,000

In a national emergency, people won't abide by it. Everyone will think their one text or call won't matter that much ... x 100,000
    The last significant SoCal quake I was in, Oct.2008, measured a five something. Believe me, we all felt that one; it was an upper/downer kind. I was on a cell call as it started and was able to continue as I tried to get the door to hold still so I could open it.

Five minutes later, the calls from IA began as relatives saw the news. Land lines went out of commission almost right away though.