Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PLAY Nebraska Is Tanking- The Most American Thing You’ve Never Heard Of
+ Reply to Thread

Nebraska Is Tanking- The Most American Thing You’ve Never Heard Of

Photos at the link....
    ===================

https://gearjunkie.com/river-float-t...-tank-nebraska

March 30, 2017, 9:33 am
    By: Nate Mitka
    The Most American Thing You’ve Never Heard Of: Tanking

Fill up an extra-large stock tank with your best buds, grab some cushioned seats, and find a calm river to float. Don’t forget the beer!

Photo courtesy of Nebraska Tourism

There’s a new way to get your kicks in rural Nebraska. The uniquely Nebraskan water “sport,” tanking, is like tubing on steroids. Groups of three to six people comfortably float down stream, all held buoyant by giant metal tanks.

Large livestock tanks outfitted with seating and coolers carry passengers on calm waterways. The stream provides the motion, and a paddle on board can gently change course. Because of the tank’s cumbersome and circular shape, they bob up and down and rotate like a slow-motion tilt-o-whirl.

One company near Nebraska’s Sandhills offers tanking trips on the Dismal and Middle Loup rivers. From Glidden Canoe Rental at the Sandhills Motel, trips cost $36-$62, depending on the length of trip and vessel chosen.

Photo courtesy of Nebraska Tourism
    Tanking River Float

Watch the local waterfowl, soak up the sun, and enjoy lunch and brews: all from within your own tank, flowing down river. Sounds heavenly, doesn’t it? Sometimes the simple things in life are best. Tanking exemplifies this.

Of course, if traveling to Nebraska is not on the docket, constructing one yourself won’t break the bank. Galvanized Livestock tanks run $117. Add some seating and an American flag, and voila, float tank complete.

So the next time you feel bored with the same old canoe or kayak, look to Nebraska for innovation and try out tanking for yourself.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

How cool is that?!
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

I think I'll stick to Class 5 White Water Rafting.

I HAVE heard of people using stock tanks as the basis for a wood-fired hot tub. I've wanted to try something similar if I ever got a big enough greenhouse to accommodate such a thing.

In that cold climate I don't think sitting in a metal tank in cold water on cold seats in cold air would be really enjoyable......guess that is why they take beer coolers along, to numb their bodies further.......

I expect someone will try this down our Channel which separates the two lakes of our City of Penticton this summer. Water much warmer.....but then at 100F the metal gets a bit hot.
    True North Strong and Free

Did you ever know of a stock tank that doesn't leak? The green outdoor carpet is pinchy, hope they flex sealed it first,
    God Bless Us & God Bless America!

TTIUWP:

Every day is a JDAM day

Strike me down, and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine

Oderint dum metuant

Gads. Those big round tanks are heavy, and I notice there don't seem to be many rocks in their rivers. Wouldn't work as well here - a 10 foot stock tank doesn't steer very well.

I think I would go for one of the plastic ones instead.......probably easier to launch, haul and recover...this is a 600 gallon one

Mongo only pawn in game of life

Liberals: Fundamentally changing our society for the worse...!!!

I'm in! That looks like fun!

It's the Bubba-tech version of the Coracle.
    Every day is a JDAM day

Strike me down, and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine

Oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Southside View Post
    I think I'll stick to Class 5 White Water Rafting.
    Paddling like a maniac can't be conducive to beer drinking.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Having read many '49er's descriptions of the Platte, I never imagined there was a river in Nebraska deep enough to float a tank in. Learn something new every day!

My kids always turned one into a pool every summer, guess they had the water on the wrong side! LOL
    Do as thou will, lest ye harm none

@FatTurkeyFarm on twitter

The New River is a popular float trip destination up here.

Mid summer, sometimes you can barely see the river for the canoes, kayaks, tubes etc.

But it's too rocky and shallow for something like a stock tank.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Having read many '49er's descriptions of the Platte, I never imagined there was a river in Nebraska deep enough to float a tank in. Learn something new every day!
    The rivers used for tanking aren't that deep (about waist high at most). Frequently your tank runs up onto a sandbar. Then you just get out of the tank and push it off. The current is slow. It is just a great way to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Last stock tanks I had anything to do with were 50 -150 ft in diameter and were made of clay...
    I will sing your praise when you send the rain
    I will praise you still in these thirsty days
    I will worship you with all I am
    even if all I have are empty hands

Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."

ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY nor DID IT FALL IN A DAY

PATIENCE AND DISCERNMENT will help y'all void ulcers nd heart attacks going forward.

For this to be "the most American thing I've ever heard of," duct tape would have to be involved.

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    Love it! We used to go tubing which was slow and easy in Louisiana rivers. That was great for small kids which we had then and older folks, like we are now.

This mode sounds perfect, except, I wonder how hard it would be to get in and out of the water? After all, dipping in the water is part of being on a river. Would it rock and tip over?

Quote Originally Posted by sierra don View Post
    I think I would go for one of the plastic ones instead.......probably easier to launch, haul and recover...this is a 600 gallon one

They are easier to launch and haul, and if you hit rough water stay up better than the metal ones. Natives way back in the day use to make similar boats out of buffalo hides to navigate various rivers in Nebraska.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.