Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GOV/MIL Federal surveys trim LGBT questions, alarming advocates
+ Reply to Thread

14 Federal surveys trim LGBT questions, alarming advocates

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-20-16-57-36

By MATT SEDENSKY
    AP National Writer

Mar 20, 4:57 PM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) -- LGBT advocates are questioning the Trump administration's quiet deletion of questions on sexuality from two federal surveys.

Combined with the withdrawal of another planned survey evaluating the effectiveness of a homelessness project for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth, the moves have alarmed watchdogs who worry they may point to a manipulation of government data collection to serve the ideology of a government they view as hostile to their causes.

"In an age when LGBT rights are such a part of the national discussion, the Trump administration is choosing to not only ignore us but erase us from the discussion," said Laura Durso, vice president of the LGBT Research and Communications Project at the Center for American Progress, a nonprofit liberal advocacy group. She worried officials might be rolling back such data collection elsewhere.

Each year, a survey done by the Department of Health and Human Services gathers data from those receiving transportation, homemaker and meal services, visiting senior centers, or taking part in other programs funded by the Older Americans Act. A draft of this year's National Survey of Older Americans Act Participants, released this month, removes a single query asking whether a respondent is gay, lesbian, bisexual or heterosexual from a battery of demographic questions.

A second HHS-sponsored survey, the Annual Program Performance Report for Centers for Independent Living, gathers feedback on counseling, skills training and other services provided to the disabled. A revised draft posted four days after President Donald Trump's inauguration included a question on sexual orientation, but the survey was subsequently edited, with the deletion of the sexuality question the only apparent notable change.

Kelly Mack, a spokeswoman for the Administration for Community Living, the HHS division which oversees the two surveys, said Monday the orientation question was included in past surveys as part of a pilot test, but that the sample size was insufficient to be reliable. Advocates reject that explanation, saying the data has already provided some insight into LGBT elders.

A draft of the Older Americans Act survey included no other question changes. After Mack said Friday that the orientation question was one of several being eliminated, The Associated Press asked her to identify the other questions. She responded Monday saying a portion of a question on survey respondents' date of birth was being cut, though the survey draft still included that query.

The LGBT question was introduced on the survey in 2014, a move heralded by gay rights groups because of the dearth of federally-collected data of their communities and the potential to validate programs or identify areas where services may be inadequate.

An administration official said Trump political appointees at the agency reviewed the OAA survey but targeted only LGBT questions. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to comment on behalf of the agency.

"I view this as a policy change, not the end of a pilot," said Kathy Greenlee, who was HHS' assistant secretary for aging under President Barack Obama and led efforts to increase data collection on LGBT people. Greenlee, now with the Center for Practical Bioethics, said though all survey questions are approved for three years at a time, the addition of the LGBT question was never envisioned as a temporary entry.

Separately, a survey planned by the Department of Housing and Urban Development on an LGBT homelessness project was withdrawn, according to a notice in the Federal Register. The Obama administration had planned interviews, surveys and focus groups to determine the efficacy of the program, but the information-gathering had not yet begun.

A HUD spokesman, Brian Sullivan, did not respond to questions Monday about the withdrawal.

Michael Adams, CEO of Services and Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Elders, or SAGE, said halting the data collection had the potential to affect not just federal funding and programming, but those at the state and local level that take their cues from Washington.

"It's a big deal to make this change," Adams said. "What this is about is stripping out an entire population."

Accepting the Republican nomination last summer, Trump said he would "do everything in my power to protect LGBTQ citizens" and after taking office, he pledged to maintain Obama administration job protections for LGBT federal employees. But his administration stepped back from Obama's position allowing transgender students to use bathrooms and locker rooms corresponding to their gender identity, and LGBT advocates have said they're troubled by cabinet appointees, including HHS Secretary Tom Price, whom they regard as virulently anti-gay.

David Stacy, head of policy for the Human Rights Campaign, said the survey moves fit a pattern from an administration that has shown an aversion to facts: "If you deny the problem exists by not having the data, it certainly makes it easier to pursue the policy you prefer without regards to reality."

---
    Last edited by Be Well; 03-20-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    Asato Ma Sad Gama - leave illusion, come to the truth
    Tamasi Ma Jyotir Gama - leave the darkness, come to the light

You may not be interested in Islam
    But Islam is VERY interested in you

LGBT is a cancer on the human race.

I am for dealing with them, as the Jews did
    in the Old Testament.

The LGBT would then go back into the closet,
    where they freaking belong.

I admit, that I am a homophobe, bigot in general, also racist,
    and also sexist to some extent.

To hell with them, as that is where they are from. They are devils.

Regards to all deplorables,
    Nowski
    "Read everything, listen to everyone, believe absolutely nothing,
    unless you can prove it with your own research." Milton William Cooper

"Life is a glass, half empty, of spoiled milk, sitting in a bed of thorns." Nowski

Perversion is not an identity. People can stop being liars, thieves, adulterers or homosexuals. It is not an identity, it is a behavior. The entire homosexual agenda is based on the lie that it is an identity, unchangeable, except now they have to admit it is changeable. According to their dogma, you can become one, but you can't get cured, that's why they hate counseling that helps people overcome and get healed from SSAD - same sex attraction disorder.

This is a good start!

Its not the place or job of the government to be questioning your sexual preferences.

DADT....
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

We are talking about a very, very small percentage of the population, for one thing. Funds for projects have to be balanced with project goals: Why spend $$$$$$ to collect data that has to be crunched, analyzed, written up, etc.? Seems to me that these categories of folks can be lumped in with the rest of us.
    If we are going to dial back on federal spending, it is going to have to include some economies of scale.
    It's later than you think!
    (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

What rights are these people losing now!
    The big fear with this crowd is being reduced to being "special", just like everybody else.
    Exempt and protected status is what the goal is, never been about "equality".
    If it were up to me being a lawyer would be an automatic disqualification from political office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    DADT....
    Needs to go too. Policy should be ask, tell, if answer is wrong, out ze door.

"It's a big deal to make this change," Adams said. "What this is about is stripping out an entire population."
    Reminds me of libs removing Confederate memorials.

F' em.

The queers should be happy. By removing those questions, there can be no discrimination as to services because the government won't know who is queer and who isn't.

"If it get's tracked, it get's improved." This is a law.

What "improved" is, is up to interpretation, but based on the consensus this is a 'conservative move' I would think yall would in general trust the current administration on the direction of .gov from the 'top down.'

however, this wasn't for giving out freebies, this was for tracking who had received them and what the benefit had been. Homosexuality is very much a health concern/ notable factor in health and should be addressed/ tracked/ studied/ improved. Now I don't think the .gov should be doing to much charity work that would be better suited by the private factor, but when they do, I want to know THEY"RE AT LEAST CHECKING THEIR WORK, there is some form of tracking/ accountability, and MAYBE in the long run, can get more efficient/ actually accomplish stated goals... I doubt it... but not tracking ANYTHING health related & sucking up .gov funds is dereliction.
    If I was born in Kenya, I'd be President by now.

*My fingers are slysdexic. Damn.*
    They're, there, their. There. I know the difference. My mind is miles and miles of thought ahead of my fingers and my fingers are peons. peons do sh!tty work.:D

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Its not the place or job of the government to be questioning your sexual preferences.
    Where exactly in the Constitution is any sexual requirement listed? And why would government need to know?

Or care?

If a human has an issue with another human or institution, let whomever bring charges in court and PROVE their right has been violated.

If a judge or jury deems their claim valid, justice will be served.

And the loser gets to pay court costs.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

....the withdrawal of another planned survey evaluating the effectiveness of a homelessness project for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth,.../....taking part in other programs funded by the Older Americans Act.
    The upshot is, if you're a homeless youth, or elderly, they don't care about your sexual preference or identity. Why should they?

On a side note, why the hell is there a "special" project for homeless LGBT youth? Shouldn't there be one project for all homeless youth, or all homeless people?
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtshooter View Post
    The upshot is, if you're a homeless youth, or elderly, they don't care about your sexual preference or identity. Why should they?

On a side note, why the hell is there a "special" project for homeless LGBT youth? Shouldn't there be one project for all homeless youth, or all homeless people?
    They want to mainly help homeless that are diversities. The women, the darks, and of course the queers, all deserve help in their opinion (but NOT the frivorced/fake-DVed straight white guy driven out of the house he's paid for).
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowski View Post
    LGBT is a cancer on the human race.

I admit, that I am a homophobe, bigot in general, also racist,
    and also sexist to some extent.

To hell with them, as that is where they are from. They are devils.

Nowski
    Nowski,
    Are you sure about that????